Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
As promised here is a few pics of a custom i have been working on. It is in the rough stages, but is taking shape nicely. I seen a similar type model somewere on the net, and it inspired me.I used a Hotwheels 55 gasser for the chassis and motor, and a Hotwheels nova wagon for the body and interior. Still have lots of work to do, but i like the looks so far.

It wouldn't happen to be my Nova wagon, right? (: click:

http://www.customdiecastmexico.com/2013/04/hot-wheels-nova-wagon-gasser.html

That was a reply to Cano's black FD with WSP wheels. I disagree with my old self. I'm a huge sucker for those wheels now.

Bwahaha!
hqdefault.jpg

Hi all,
Im new here, from B.C. Canada ay,
I'v been catching up reading this blog from the first page...awesome work you guys do..
I was going to start my own hotwheels custom...I even picked up two from a doller store odd enough.
But before I start I wanted to ask about the two I bought, 1 is 1999 Track T "Virtual Collection", 2 is 2004 #209 Roll Patrol Surf Patrol...
Are ether worth keeping or can I destroy?
Sorry for long postd

Destroy away, they're not worth anything.

It wouldn't happen to be my Nova wagon, right? (: click:

http://www.customdiecastmexico.com/2013/04/hot-wheels-nova-wagon-gasser.html

Bwahaha!
hqdefault.jpg

Destroy away, they're not worth anything.
Actually no , it wasn't yours that i saw. But after seeing what you did, i think i will be more inspired;).
The pic i saw was a blue one like yours, but it was the original blue/green paint it came with. Also it had heavy modifications done to the front chassis. I also seem to remember a custom 62 Chevy truck gasser, that was on the same page. I am gonna do one of those to. And by the way, beautiful job on the nova wagon, its a piece of art.

1014696_10152560875139097_818538731_o.jpg

1146748_10152560874929097_480276687_o.jpg

1491329_10152560874419097_589219137_o.jpg

1501280_10152560873144097_1621221130_o.jpg

1490928_10152560871189097_2062690118_o.jpg

1496326_10152560875529097_1788739088_o.jpg

964665_10152560871789097_1111499189_o.jpg

1090921_10152560874109097_1307673042_o.jpg

1523786_10152560873944097_1625800324_o.jpg

Prettier photos will come later. I'm working on them at the moment. So yeah it was 9 cars I did, not 8. I'm that much more special.

Hey guys, was trying to make a rain effect on my hw windshield. ..just wanted to know your guys opion..if it lools like crap Ill have to start over haha

Attachments

• CAM00222.jpg
    CAM00222.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 9
Posted this in the Collectors Thread a little earlier:
After opening a new tab and doing some research, the Honda Civic EFs (you may remember my EF hoarding episode from a bit ago) that were supposedly hard to find due to popularity, are not such anymore. So with that, I'll be uncarding some. From there, who knows what.
Two of those EFs are going to be customized at the current threshold. One will be a circuit racer, the other a drag car. I can start on the drag racer this weekend.
Hey guys, was trying to make a rain effect on my hw windshield. ..just wanted to know your guys opion..if it lools like crap Ill have to start over haha
It looks good from what I can tell. :)

To keep from overloading a page with too many images, shares will come in at a slow rate. Let's start with the M3:

%5BWS%5D+BMW+M3+white_1.jpg

%5BWS%5D+BMW+M3+white_2.jpg

I have a bin full of disassembled cars. A small portion are cars waiting to be completed to be added to a series. I took this M3 out of that. I have probably 3 of these exact white ones sitting in there with no plans. I don't even remember why I even grabbed that many, but they're just sitting there with no future.

The one only M3 I kept was red. I had 4 before I started cutting down; red, white, black and blue (shame they never made a yellow one because it would been a RWBY combo!). I changed the wheels and left it as a sort of exclusive to the collection, where the only way I would consider it part of the collection is if I modify it, and any other additional M3s must be a similar custom. After the recent assessment, I pulled the black M3 back into the collection. It's mainly to help fill up the blog page (I call it "index filler"), but now that I've done even a wheelswap to the white, I'm eventually going to swap the wheels off the black. The blue had already been sold off in a previous lot.

So anyway, here it is. The Y5s that didn't work too well have been replaced with PR5s. Contemplated if I should've coloured the spokes to a dull silver to match a stock aluminum alloy finish, but ultimately didn't. The changes done here (in case you missed the lot of photos at the beginning of this page) are only the taillights, the front grills and wheels.

Another casting I also strictly keep wheelswaps only is the '65 Pontiac Bonneville (with exception to the HW Classics):

%5BWS%5D+Pontiac+Bonneville+green_1.jpg

%5BWS%5D+Pontiac+Bonneville+green_2.jpg

I got this ages ago and forgot all about it. It's a follow-up to the purple Bonneville I made so long ago:

3+wheelswaps.jpg

Like the purple graffiti Bonneville, this green one had silly coloured wheels as stock wheels and that just had to go. The tampos look great. The photos came out brilliantly sharp thanks to the graphics on the bonnet. The white tires however just killed everything. I remedied this with regular WSP wheels.

Hello again,

How do I avoid double posting?

I thought Id bring an update...

I lowered the rear and added a homemade CB antenna,

Whatcha think?

Attachments

• 20140118_000126.jpg
    20140118_000126.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 6
Amazing work guys :)👍. Its nice to be around like minded people. here are a few more of mine, some are finished,and others are in the process of being finished. hope you enjoy them. oh yea, these are Hotwheels not "tinfoil";).
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG

Unusual choice of wheels for the Challenger, but it seems to look okay.

Also, did you mean to keep the timestamp in the photo?

Unusual choice of wheels for the Challenger, but it seems to look okay.

Also, did you mean to keep the timestamp in the photo?
I wasn't sure about those tires myself, but after installing them and taking a good look at them, i think they achieved the desired effect. As for the time stamp, i am still trying to figure out this new camera.( time to get the instruction manual out i guess);).

I've got a Matchbox Camaro that I'll be doing up after winter passes over here in the northeast. This is my plan.

BEFORE

rlym92.jpg

AFTER

i5n1o1.jpg

The drawing would've came out better had it not been for my terrible pulse at the time.

Here are a few more of my customs. The van started out life as the A team van, which i removed the push bar, and filled in the holes left behind. I also removed the lights from the roof. The flatbed truck i found at a secondhand store, broke in half. I attached both parts with epoxy and sheet plastic. I made the actual flatbed part out of an old cd case, and painted it silver.
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG

Is that nail polish on the van's body?
Nope, its actually automotive spray paint i bought at a dollar store, believe it or not. I have never used nail polish, but hear its not that bad to use, as long as its thinned out properly .( I may have to raid my daughters makeup bag, and try it out;)).

That flatbed truck came out great, but imagine that metal flake if the thing was real :0
Thank you very much Cano, i think the 5 coats of clear may have brought out the flake more than i wanted, but i like the final result:)

I am extremely close to finishing a car. It'll likely be done tomorrow, but that's all I'm saying.
Here are a few more of my customs. The van started out life as the A team van, which i removed the push bar, and filled in the holes left behind. I also removed the lights from the roof. The flatbed truck i found at a secondhand store, broke in half. I attached both parts with epoxy and sheet plastic. I made the actual flatbed part out of an old cd case, and painted it silver.View attachment 101949 View attachment 101950 View attachment 101952 View attachment 101954
That's absolutely amazing! :bowdown:

Been working on this "tinfoil" project for quite some time now. I think its finally finished, not sure though. Just when i think i'm done with it i seem to add more to it. So far it has 54 individually molded pieces, with plug wires and radiator hoses. Was contemplating adding brake lines and fuel lines, i guess we will see. I just wanted to share it with you guys;)
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

That's pretty amazing. What was it based off?
Its not really based off of anything, i just kind of put it together. I molded anything i could find, Including sanding screen, beads for jewelry making, Q-tip stick, wood carvings (my cousin made), and anything else that looked like it would work. All i can say is O.C.D at its best;).

I've got a Matchbox Camaro that I'll be doing up after winter passes over here in the northeast. This is my plan.

BEFORE

rlym92.jpg

AFTER

i5n1o1.jpg

The drawing would've came out better had it not been for my terrible pulse at the time.
You stole my Matchbox Camaro! lol. i lost mine

Do any of you guys buy just wheels from anywhere? I have been watching this thread for a while and am going to give it a go. And the wheels and axles are shot as they are bent and older. I have an easy 1000 Hot wheels from when I was growing up. So I can find replacement ones and parts, and have a lot to work with for future projects but want to get some rubber wheels (You know the ones you always took the tire off and then put back on as a kid?), so how should I get them?

Also will post pics of my starting point in a bit. Its a 1970 Chevells. The Blue Chinatown Taxi. The paint is all tore up and its not in the best shape, so why not?

2 questions,

1) What is the best way to strip paint? Or easiest?

2) How to get the shine into the bumpers? Its a 1998 Car so its metal but the chrome has tarnished away and its this dark gray.

And here are starting pics:

Last edited:
Back