IDEA: ‘Free roam’ main lobby

• Thread starter Zweber1
  • 54 comments
United States
United States
I’m sitting in the main lobby looking at the map and thought of a very cool way to really improve this game.

Imagine the lobby map was a small ‘free roam’ or open world town, where you could drive to each location on the map. No racing is done here, just a small area to test drive your selected car. Once you arrive to your location the map opens up to its current interface, or you can just fast travel like it does currently.

It would allow you to test your newly tuned car out on the way to the ‘race track’ to enter a race, or to the cafe to check challenges. It could be a fun way to test the new tunes made to your car, without it being fully open world and without having to actually enter a race.

It could also have an online lobby function where a certain amount of players on each server(say 10) can cruise down the street together, or meet in the museum parking lot to show off their cars and use the photography function for more fun in the photo editor.

This open world aspect would immerse the player much deeper into the game and create a very fun way of testing out your tunes. Being able to briefly free roam would also open up lots of opportunity to use the photo features.

I’m sure I’m not the first to think of it, but I can be hopeful something like this is integrated into future GT games.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
No! I don’t know what the desperation is for having free roam in Gran Turismo?! For me Gran Turismo is purely about racing other cars on track!!
That’s exactly what it would continue to be, with the addition of a fun way to test your car instead of going through the strenuous process of having to enter into a race.
E0245121-3F0D-48FC-8EB9-731B92DDBF78.jpeg

Last edited:
So if I get the OP correctly, you want a drivable main menu. :D

Jokes aside, I don't have anything against it in theory, I've always enjoyed free-roam racing and driving games, but realistically speaking, it would be a little wasteful to develop an entire drivable world whose job has to be both immersive and engaging, while at the same time, serving only the purpose of getting you from one event to the next. Generally the appeal of free-roam in driving games is that parts of it are reutilized for racing. Maybe I'm not smart enough to come up with a way to make this work, but I have a hard time finding ways to reconcile real-world circuits with a coherent open world.

Typing this, an idea does come to mind that could serve as a compromise. Gran Turismo has long featured tracks that are either inspired by, or use part of the Tokyo highway network. I'll be honest, I might be biased because I am a fan of the Shutoko Project for Assetto Corsa, but if there's one game that could pull off having a free-roam section around Japanese highways, it's probably GT. There's precedent, at the very least.

Yeah, to really simplify the idea, I’m not really looking for an open world racing concept. There’s other games for that. I appreciate GTs true racing, on track roots. I just think it would be fun to have a free roam ability to test cars and potentially open up opportunity for scapes vs having to use preset landscapes.

Yeah, to really simplify the idea, I’m not really looking for an open world racing concept. There’s other games for that. I appreciate GTs true racing, on track roots. I just think it would be fun to have a free roam ability to test cars and potentially open up opportunity for scapes vs having to use preset landscapes.

I'm going to make the assumption that what you really want, in that case, is a more comprehensive test track. Not necessarily a whole free-roaming environment (as we understand it in other games), but a single, possibly open-ended track that provides various useful ways to test a car and which isn't necessarily structured like a race track, like the classic Test Course.

Maybe it's time for GT3's Complex String to return? :D

latest

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is for real racing on real tracks. If you want free roam play crew 2 forza horizon driveclub. I am sick of the roleplay people in gran turismo why do you not race like others? You want a cruise go play an open world game. You want cops vs robbers go play need for speed not gran turismo.
That’s not at all what I proposed 😂 read the actual post fella. You’re so offended it’s comical.

Gran Turismo is for real racing on real tracks. If you want free roam play crew 2 forza horizon driveclub. I am sick of the roleplay people in gran turismo why do you not race like others? You want a cruise go play an open world game. You want cops vs robbers go play need for speed not gran turismo.
Take it easy there bud,you and the other guy almost blowing gaskets over someone’s idea lol,nobody ever said everyone must use the proposed idea even if it were to exist furthermore you and the other fella loosin his noodle over someone’s personal opinion and idea are in no position to dictate what gran turismo is specifically to be used for by people,which brings me to my next question,what are you doing in here if you dislike the idea so much?,go take a walk maybe get some fresh air

Take it easy there bud,you and the other guy almost blowing gaskets over someone’s idea lol,nobody ever said everyone must use the proposed idea even if it were to exist furthermore you and the other fella loosin his noodle over someone’s personal opinion and idea are in no position to dictate what gran turismo is specifically to be used for by people,which brings me to my next question,what are you doing in here if you dislike the idea so much?,go take a walk maybe get some fresh air
Some ideas are so stupid they deserve to be ridiculed.

That’s awfully subjective nonetheless you are entitled to your opinion which would go without saying and as such so is the op of this thread,it’s exactly as you said “ridicule” which is a form of unfavorable interaction that I particularly don’t appreciate so I responded in kind,you see how that kinda works dysfunctional behavior begets further dysfunctional behavior ya know,tit for tat or somethin like that lol

It’s literally just the existing map with drivable roads. It doesn’t change the core gameplay at all. It’s no different than PD adding a dedicated test track, with the exception that it might be more tuned to testing a car’s strengths and weaknesses, but it looks like the map wouldn’t be bad for it.

I think it’s a great idea, the map would need some touching up, but besides that, it’d be a way to quickly test out your modifications and tune.

Last edited:
It’s literally just the existing map with drivable roads. It doesn’t change the core gameplay at all. It’s no different than PD adding a dedicated test track, with the exception that it might be more tuned to testing a car’s strengths and weaknesses, but it looks like the map wouldn’t be bad for it.

I think it’s a great idea, the map would need some touching up but besides that, it’d be a way to quickly test out your modifications and tune.
Exactly. If you just want to fast travel to the different locations, then do so. No harm no foul. Literally just visualizing the current map as it exists while being able to physically navigate it as well.

Again, no racing or progression can happen here, really just meant for test driving in a more creative way.

It would be a "curious" thing, but I don't see how that would "really improve" the game...
Wouldn’t improve the game as far as progression or gameplay is concerned, but imo would ‘improve’ it in that it would create more engagement and add a new feature that GT hasn’t really utilized.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t improve the game as far as progression or gameplay is concerned, but imo would ‘improve’ it in that it would create more engagement and add a new feature that GT hasn’t really utilized.
I think it would be cool for a short period of time, but after, I think it would become annoying and would make players take a lot longer to go from one place to the other.
As long as we have the option to go back to normal menu its fine for me

I think it would be cool for a short period of time, but after, I think it would become annoying and would make players take a lot longer to go from one place to the other.
As long as we have the option to go back to normal menu its fine for me
Agreed, I mentioned that if you’d want to interact with the menu the way it functions now, you can. But entering a ‘test drive’ option would open up the map. Or something like that..🤷🏼‍♂️

I would like The Complex String back, mind trying like a bear for gold in the Porsche, got there and what a joy it was :)

I think I’d both love and hate it. Love it when I’m not really sure what I wanna do ( it could count towards your daily mileage) and hate it when I just wanna race. Like now!! Haha

Back