Is GT written in which programming language?

• Thread starter Flash3001
  • 30 comments
I don't know. But my first guess would be one of the C++ or one of the other C languages. It might be in java though, and parts of it could be in Assembly Code. I mean, they manage to do a lot with a very limited system... I'm sure there's at least some assembly in it.

I would bet on C++, after all it is the most powerful out there. You can handle everything manually, take full advantage of OO and even embed ASM. And so on... but you never know LoL

Java needs a Java VM written specifically for the machine where it is running and it comes with some overhead - to handle Garbage Collection and so on -, as PS3 has very low memory I don't believe it is the most suitable language for something that needs such resource management.

You can take an comparison - not the best one - by looking at the power needed to make a smartphone run smoothly using Android (Java), iOS (Native), Windows Phone (.NET). Android's highend phones usually has a lot more power but they are less smooth than an iOS or WP with less power.

From what I have seen, I am sure it is written in BASIC. Might explain a thing or two.

Seriously though, a quick Google suggests that it is indeed C++ or at least a flavour of C++ as the PS Dev Kits includes C and C++ headers etc required to communicate with the hardware.

There is more than likely some assembly involved, simply because it is easier or more efficient.

From what I have seen, I am sure it is written in BASIC. Might explain a thing or two.

Seriously though, a quick Google suggests that it is indeed C++ or at least a flavour of C++ as the PS Dev Kits includes C and C++ headers etc required to communicate with the hardware.

There is more than likely some assembly involved, simply because it is easier or more efficient.
Assembly is not easier than C, but it is more effecient. Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2 were completely written in Assembly. :)

I would bet on C++, after all it is the most powerful out there. You can handle everything manually, take full advantage of OO and even embed ASM. And so on... but you never know LoL

Java needs a Java VM written specifically for the machine where it is running and it comes with some overhead - to handle Garbage Collection and so on -, as PS3 has very low memory I don't believe it is the most suitable language for something that needs such resource management.

You can take an comparison - not the best one - by looking at the power needed to make a smartphone run smoothly using Android (Java), iOS (Native), Windows Phone (.NET). Android's highend phones usually has a lot more power but they are less smooth than an iOS or WP with less power.

Actually, binary is the most powerful language. :)

Programming in assembly would explain the delays and slow development of features.
It would also explain how GT6 is like wizardry compared to other games on PS3. And it would explain why Coding for the PS3 is so much harder than the PS2 and PS4 :D 2 and 4 both have x86 processor and the 3 has some other weird thing, I think. Am I wrong?

Programming in assembly would explain the delays and slow development of features.
It would also explain how GT6 is like wizardry compared to other games on PS3. And it would explain why Coding for the PS3 is so much harder than the PS2 and PS4 :D 2 and 4 both have x86 processor and the 3 has some other weird thing, I think. Am I wrong?

The Cell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)

Also, @sorg already told everyone that the game is in C++, not assembly. ;)

Becuase it's every single post in every single thread pretty much. The whole point of liking a post is to show that you support it. It renders the like button useless if you use it every single time.

If I remember correctly, a mod once said that they do not approve of people doing this. I just noticed this in about the 5th thread and thought I'd comment.

It isn't a hissy fit, I was in no way rude. It was simply a question.

EDIT:Pressed the wrong button. My apologies

You must be thinking of the XBox family, where the original had an x86 Pentium III and the One has an AMD64 processor, with the 360 having a more-conventional version of the Cell, closer in operation to the PowerPC RISC processor on which both are based, called Xenon.

In order, the PS family had a MIPS R300 RISC processor, a home-built Emotion Engine RISC processor, the infamous Cell processor, and an AMD64 processor quite similar to the XBOne.

Its usually a mix. The main engine written in C++, little custom routines usually related to graphics written in assembly or even machine code to extract that last bit of performance. The UI can be just about anything, sometimes even something as stupid as flash.

The core engine (low level) written in C/C++.
The upper layer (User interface) is written in Flash(.swf) script.

Its usually a mix. The main engine written in C++, little custom routines usually related to graphics written in assembly or even machine code to extract that last bit of performance. The UI can be just about anything, sometimes even something as stupid as flash.

:D

Oooo. One day, I'd love to talk about GT's engine work with other GT fans. One of my biggest complaints about GT has been a lot of the engine limitations because of the PS3. One of the biggest praises by me about GT5 and 6 are the engine features that they squeezed on the PS3. :P

Fortran :)

Nah, it's probably a C variant with some ASM for the most processor-intensive tasks such as physics calculations.

OT edit: I never thought I'd see someone else from the same city as me here.. There are very few brazilians, let alone from Goiania.

Back