• Thread starter DLR
  • 325 comments

DLR

(Banned)
United States
Under the Hood
iWinYouLooz
PS3>Xbox
Warning! Contains excessive ranting! Differing opinions will clash! You have been warned...

So every time I venture out of the Drag Racing forum and mention drag racing, so called "pro tuners" criticize dragging and how easy it is. "What's so hard about going in a straight line?" is the response I usually get. Here are some examples:

McLaren F1 and TVR Cerbera Speed 12 if well tuned and setup right will live and beat the veyron

are you serious the ACR viper in a drag race _- ha ha

the ACR is about downforce and cornering ..
not abot top speed _-_ the ferrari 458 wont just eat the Acr it'll smoke it ..

sidenote .. the viper is my favorite car ever but even i know what the Acr is for and drag racing is not one ..

How do you respond to these statements? I tried to invite them with me on the strip to prove them wrong but then they go silent on me and my FRs go un-accepted. I am just sick and tired of people, WHO HAVE NEVER ENTERED A DRAG ROOM IN THEIR LIFE BEFORE mine you, say dragging is for noobs. "All you do is shorten the ratios" is another common stereotype. I don't know why people look down so much on this event. They see it as almost barbaric. "Oh how dare they participate in an event that our Lord Kaz does not officially support" (yet :D).

So this thread is to prove all those people wrong. If anyone throws mud at drag racing, link them to this page.

Attention so called Circuit Tuners. Odds are someone linked you here. There are even better odds that you think rather poorly of drag racing. "It's easy", "It's not an official event" or "What's so hard about going in a straight line". Whatever your excuse may be, you are about to be given a lethal dose of reality. Go to THIS thread, find at least 5 people, and race them. If you beat them, and can prove it, I will apologize for the misconception and admit this whole time I was lying and dragging is a complete joke...

DaLightninRacer
Warning! Contains excessive ranting! Differing opinions will clash! You have been warned...

So every time I venture out of the Drag Racing forum and mention drag racing, so called "pro tuners" criticize dragging and how easy it is. "What's so hard about going in a straight line?" is the response I usually get. Here are some examples:

How do you respond to these statements? I tried to invite them with me on the strip to prove them wrong but then they go silent on me and my FRs go un-accepted. I am just sick and tired of people, WHO HAVE NEVER ENTERED A DRAG ROOM IN THEIR LIFE BEFORE mine you, say dragging is for noobs. "All you do is shorten the ratios" is another common stereotype. I don't know why people look down so much on this event. They see it as almost barbaric. "Oh how dare they participate in an event that our Lord Kaz does not officially support" (yet :D).

So this thread is to prove all those people wrong. If anyone throws mud at drag racing, link them to this page.

Attention so called Circuit Tuners. Odds are someone linked you here. There are even better odds that you think rather poorly of drag racing. "It's easy", "It's not an official event" or "What's so hard about going in a straight line". Whatever your excuse may be, you are about to be given a lethal dose of reality. Go to THIS thread, find at least 5 people, and race them. If you beat them, and can prove it, I will apologize for the misconception and admit this whole time I was lying and dragging is a complete joke...

You sir, are a champion.. I am sick to death of hearing how easy it is to be competitive at the highest level of dragging.. Sure I'm not there, yet, but I've been trying for hours each and every night to perfect my tunes and yet I'm no where near.. It takes extreme dedication and commitment to be the elite

i know man it cracks me up, vqpro and me had some guy in a room same way talkin mad stuff about it takes no skill to drag you need skill to track race so we proved the point and did basic tunes on random cars to show and then he stated that well its our launch and has nothing to do with reaction.. i was like please dude so we even followed him into a track room and stayed right with him with default tunes on our cars lol...

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.

Circuit Racing 20% Tune 80% Driver.
Drag Racing 80% Tune 20% Driver.

Drag racing is MUCH more about tuning, and if you think that is easy by all means tune your favorite car and meet me at the strip.

You sir, are a champion.. I am sick to death of hearing how easy it is to be competitive at the highest level of dragging.. Sure I'm not there, yet, but I've been trying for hours each and every night to perfect my tunes and yet I'm no where near.. It takes extreme dedication and commitment to be the elite

Anyone can change their top speed, and beat the 10 year old noobs, but it takes an insane amount of precision and time to make high end tunes...

i know man it cracks me up, vqpro and me had some guy in a room same way talkin mad stuff about it takes no skill to drag you need skill to track race so we proved the point and did basic tunes on random cars to show and then he stated that well its our launch and has nothing to do with reaction.. i was like please dude so we even followed him into a track room and stayed right with him with default tunes on our cars lol...

You got one to join your room? The closest I got was sending a guy a FR :lol:

It's funny because not only can most people that talk big not tune to drag but those people always finish around 5 sec behind me on the circuits, so theyre the idiots. It helps to be versatile to shut them up no matter what they try to talk about.👍

Don't blame it all on circuit racers because I've had drifters say the same thing. Thats why my ZR1, Enzo, and ACR have a drifting tune, a drag racing tune, and circuit tune.

if you think about it, the drag racing transmission tune/trick, if adjusted for the right track would be awesome for a circuit. always in your power band

if you think about it, the drag racing transmission tune/trick, if adjusted for the right track would be awesome for a circuit. always in your power band

Drag racers cant tune :lol:

I claim to be good at tuning for Oval Racing and I am highly competitive in circuit racing, but not the best. I would love to drag race in GT5, I'm a Muscle Car Fanatic, but what holds me back is how unregulated it is. It seems as if anyone can jump before the official start and there's no official recording of time and finish/results. If GT5 was suited with a proper drag strip I would definitly be out there with my collection of Vintage Muscle. So to answer your OP, it's not all the master tuners that have this conception you speak of. And I do know that tuning is key to going faster in a straight line. Thats a little something I know from racing Daytona and keeping fellows out of my draft.

I understand your points, but we go off a ghost not time, and once you get to a certain level it is a lot more organized.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.

Circuit Racing 20% Tune 80% Driver.
Drag Racing 80% Tune 20% Driver.

Drag racing is MUCH more about tuning, and if you think that is easy by all means tune your favorite car and meet me at the strip.

Agree playa.. Besides the launch and shift points, its all about the TUNE!

eightlives
I understand your points, but we go off a ghost not time, and once you get to a certain level it is a lot more organized.

Agreed. Most of the rooms are full of people driving around in X1 and no organization whatsoever. To them, a group of cars lining up to drag are bowling pins and their Tank car is the bowling ball....

But get into pro rooms and the experience is completely different.

Agreed. Most of the rooms are full of people driving around in X1 and no organization whatsoever. To them, a group of cars lining up to drag are bowling pins and their Tank car is the bowling ball....

But get into pro rooms and the experience is completely different.

I've gone into rooms with guys that don't spend much time with a car and come away feeling good about myself,then i go into one with guys on a higher level and come back down to earth.It takes time,knowledge and patience to get a car perfect.I've raced you and you have all of the above.

It does take skill. Drag tuning is coming from one's knowledge and aptitude. Of course, it is a different type of skill than circuit racing.

If it took no skill, anyone without any prior experience could in no time compete with the top players... this is not the case.

Cheers.

Now I must disagree and agree. Really, I have one word for it all. Experience. One with experience, will most likely win of course. Right? So you can't just throw some guy on the track asking him to prove his point. What is the purpose in that? No real contest going on there.

I have read before and there are:
1. Fast
2. Faster
3. "Pro's"/Teams

Tuning alone sometimes has a limit because there are minute details and settings that can only be seen when you tune with someone. I have heard that some groups are so competitive they wont even run you twice so you cant tune against their car.

1. Fast
2. Faster
3. "Pro's"/Teams

Tuning alone sometimes has a limit because there are minute details and settings that can only be seen when you tune with someone. I have heard that some groups are so competitive they wont even run you twice so you cant tune against their car.

The more competitive teams are the ones who rarely share tunes within the team. Much like my team. We all tune, and rarely do we share tunes with each other.

Now I must disagree and agree. Really, I have one word for it all. Experience. One with experience, will most likely win of course. Right? So you can't just throw some guy on the track asking him to prove his point. What is the purpose in that? No real contest going on there.

Well obviously you are free to test it out yourself before meeting us on the the strip, but this is mainly for those ignorant n00bs who's ego and house are roughly the same size...

1. Fast
2. Faster
3. "Pro's"/Teams

I have hit the same wall. You can only go so far tuning yourself. To compete with the big boys, you need some people to tune off of and give you advice. I'm starting to think about joining a team, yea the One Man Wolfpack thing was cool, but it's getting kinda old.

The more competitive teams are the ones who rarely share tunes within the team. Much like my team. We all tune, and rarely do we share tunes with each other.

ahaha! I disagree eightlives. If your so "FAST" you wouldn't share tunes at all, if your such a great tuner, like all these 1/4 runners brag about.

ahaha! I disagree eightlives. If your so "FAST" you wouldn't share tunes at all, if your such a great tuner, like all these 1/4 runners brag about.

You are an idiot. I said RARELY that means that it hardly ever happens. Other teams however share EVERYTHING. That was the point I was making. Also I am the first to admit that I get beat a lot, but it is hardly ever because of my tune and mostly because I get treed.

I don't think you should be quite so 'angry' towards those people. I don't drag, and I wouldn't be interested in dragging competitively, but I do think I have something to add to this.

I used to be one of those people who thinks that dragging is stupid, because all you have to do is get a car that's lighter and has more horsepower than the competition, and you win. I know better now.

The issue here is not always arrogance, it's usually ignorance. Honestly, if you don't tune or use a manual transmission, why would you ever think that dragging is difficult? It's just driving in a straight line!

I think the right strategy, when you come up against one of these people, is to tell them that they're wrong gently. In fact, show them. Take a stock car, then tune an identical model without adjusting horsepower or weight, and show them the MASSIVE difference. Would you rather make everyone think that drag racers are arrogant jerks, or would you rather have the possibility of bringing new contenders to the motorsport?

I used to be one of those people who thinks that dragging is stupid, because all you have to do is get a car that's lighter and has more horsepower than the competition, and you win. I know better now.
Not always. Heavier cars with less hp can beat lighter and stronger cars, both with a top tune. ;)

The issue here is not always arrogance, it's usually ignorance. Honestly, if you don't tune or use a manual transmission, why would you ever think that dragging is difficult? It's just driving in a straight line!
A very few cars work good with auto, but basically you're right. :)

I think the right strategy, when you come up against one of these people, is to tell them that they're wrong gently. In fact, show them. Take a stock car, then tune an identical model without adjusting horsepower or weight, and show them the MASSIVE difference. Would you rather make everyone think that drag racers are arrogant jerks, or would you rather have the possibility of bringing new contenders to the motorsport?
Good idea, but it would just need too much time to do this.

I know this is gonna cause an argument but a noob in a gtr can beat a descent tuner in a different car. I don't think drag takes no skill I just think it's easier in some cars

I know this is gonna cause an argument but a noob in a gtr can beat a descent tuner in a different car. I don't think drag takes no skill I just think it's easier in some cars

Well obviously a GTR will beat someone in say a Infiniti G35. But there is skill in setting cars up. I practised with a group of Aussie dragger's on GTP a while ago and found that just little tweaks can help you gain 5-10mph over the opposition... Aero, LSD, Toe.... It's a science easy to study, difficult to master.

Well it would depend greatly on what the “different car” was, but you realise this can also be applied to circuit racing?

True, but that is why in a GOOD drag room you rarely see different cars racing each-other.

Just last night I was in a room with two team members and a few friends. We all decided to race a particular car. At one point it was the db9 now that car has 664hp and is kind of on the heavy side. We mostly kept to ourselves, but the occasional viper/gtr/corvette came into the room and we raced them. The utter shock when we would tree them and they had to catch up was funny. :)

Latest Posts

Back