Kazunori Yamauchi Discusses the Pros and Cons of PlayStation 5 and PC Development

• Thread starter Famine
  • 63 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Last edited:
1st ;) So its going to be PC master race from now on dam my wallet is not ready for that constant updating

Last edited:
Sounds more like Kaz is thinking of developing for Apple Arm silicon...:mischievous:;)
Talking about power draw like that.....

Now wouldn't that 'put the cat amongst the pigeons'.....

If it's a proper racing simulator for PC, I will be so excited about it!

Edit: I wonder if it's going to be an enhanced port of GT7 or either a new installment.

Last edited:
"But the PC is a world where the users do a lot of the QA!"

Translation: If it ever comes, it's gonna be full of bugs.
You beat me to it.

“The PC is an interesting platform where a lot of responsibility is placed on the user’s side.”

I’m not entirely sure what he means by this, but it sounds concerning.

“Running in 4K60 native is a very difficult task. The PS5 only consumes about 300W maximum, power wise, and that is not a small amount, but on a PC you can use 700W or 800W. Achieving 4K60 with just 300W is pretty difficult.”

but ?

1671033711639.png

But the PC is a world where the users do a lot of the QA!

I find this statement amusing, because it implies that the fanbase didn't do exactly that for the Playstation exclusive GT7 at launch, and that Polyphony Digital actually listens to fan feedback.

Just a few quick examples off my head: only the first page of the collection can be viewed on the Gran Turismo website, and there's still a paint colour called "Hilitary Green" in the livery editor. Lobbies are still a laggy mess and PS4 users are suffering a new screen freezing issue mid race. This is a game that's now 9 months old.

I can only assume "QA" in Polyphnese means, "ticket bonanza and single player Tomahawk PP exploits". If PD are struggling so much with just two first party home consoles, I shudder at the thought of them making a game for the PC.

They can't deliver a game with the features they promised on release, so very PC like already.

They can't do a bug free game on the two systems they say it is easier work on, and updates have bugs too. 😲 So expect more on PC if we do it, and we'll just hold are hands up for QA, and let users tell us about the bugs. Again, increasingly PC like. :nervous:

The flaw in that system is that they don't listen to users, and can take forever fix problems, and they sometimes never fix problems. 🙄

This could be testing the water, and also setting (low) expectations for the future.🙄

I agree that his musing about the players being the QA team is very alarming.

Statements like this make me glad that I'm old enough to remember when you bought a full, stable, working game from the start, on a disc you could run everything from if you wished, without endless multi-gigabyte bug fix updates every few weeks... (I'd like to point out that this is commentary on modern gaming in general, and not specifically GT7, which I've unfortunately still yet to play.)

He's just describing how it is, e.g. a news article from today:
It is how it is if you go into the process open to that being a probability, as Yamauchi seems to be laying the groundwork for. If they (PD and the whole games industry) worked to the same level of game making/design as when games had to work straight from the disc, without the opportunity to update, there would be less seemingly unfinished games being released. Make a game with that aim, a game that works, with all the features you advertised, and no bugs.

Oh, and btw, those 700W, 800W PC's needed to run a 4k game at 60fps will have GPU's 2-3x the cost of a PS5. 😲

Back in the day a high end PC could eat 1500 watts easily. And 300 watts is small. There's a reason those old PC's were heavy... due to the massive copper heatsinks needed to cool them.
I think Gran Turismo needs to stay a PlayStation exclusive and migrate to the newest console as soon as it's feasible. GT7 should be a PS4 only game. Who knew covid would happen, though, and we'd be looking at electronic shortages? They didn't know that when they started it as a PS5 title, so retaining PS1 compatibility kinda makes sense.
In future, though, one platform, period, and if you want the lastest Gran Turismo, suck it up and upgrade.

Last edited:
Statements like this make me glad that I'm old enough to remember when you bought a full, stable, working game from the start, on a disc you could run everything from if you wished, without endless multi-gigabyte bug fix updates every few weeks... (I'd like to point out that this is commentary on modern gaming in general, and not specifically GT7, which I've unfortunately still yet to play.)
Games weren't as complicated as today's ones. A team of less than 15 people could make a complete game. Now they need at least 100 souls in 3 continents just to do testing and QA.

But what he's really saying is, "Keep buying PlayStation consoles and look out for my new game 'Gran Turismo Ape' the real simian simulator."
Hey, I represent that comment! :lol:

“Running in 4K60 native is a very difficult task. The PS5 only consumes about 300W maximum, power wise, and that is not a small amount, but on a PC you can use 700W or 800W. Achieving 4K60 with just 300W is pretty difficult.”

but ?
The power-consumption side-by-side comparison isn't exactly an apples-to-apples one IMHO. The PS5 version's running a much-higher resolution as well as additional assets / detail over and above the PS4 version.

I'm loving GT7 on PS5, but I will say the fact it didn't make a "generational leap" from Sport / PS4 has been a little disappointing, considering the game's history of wowing us with each new Playstation console.

I know they had to develop GT7 for PS4 too, but somehow it feels like it was never going to make that leap that other generations have managed to pull off. This theory seems to be backed up by Kaz's comments that 4K/60fps is "very difficult". I also remember reading from a different interview earlier this year that he doesn't think that having to develop GT7 for PS4 AND PS5 limited what they wanted to.

It’s funny. Kaz mentions players testing the game. That’s what we’ve been doing since GT5P.
Even now. Players make their own liveries, own races. There’s nothing else to test.

We should be testing course maker, Sport Mode drag racing, gift giving and receiving, grids of more than 20 cars in all modes. PD should be using data on which views players use and how players use the HUD to provide more options.

Back in the day a high end PC could eat 1500 watts easily. And 300 watts is small. There's a reason those old PC's were heavy... due to the massive copper heatsinks needed to cool them.
I think Gran Turismo needs to stay a PlayStation exclusive and migrate to the newest console as soon as it's feasible. GT7 should be a PS4 only game. Who knew covid would happen, though, and we'd be looking at electronic shortages? They didn't know that when they started it as a PS5 title, so retaining PS1 compatibility kinda makes sense.
In future, though, one platform, period, and if you want the lastest Gran Turismo, suck it up and upgrade.
You need to do some fact checking about PC power supplies.
The original IBM PC-XT was heavy because it had a very solid metal case and contained very big (as in full height) drives.
Also the IBM CGA crt monitor could be plugged into the pass through connector on the psu and both PC and monitor run off one power socket. The early processors didn't have heatsinks, it wasn't until the 486DX2 that a heatsink became useful.
Original PC-XT weighed 32 pounds and had a 130W psu....

It is only very recently that PCs without lots of mechanical hard drives have started to require power supplies of 1kW and above....
1kW at 120V = 8.3A, 1.5kW at 120V = 12.5A, which is starting to approach the max current you can draw from a US domestic socket.

also:

https://xkcd.com/386/
:lol:

It's actually the opposite. The further back you go the less they used per component. A high end GPU would simply be powered from the PCI slot which uses around 70W back in the day. Then they increased the high end GPU to 90-120W in power consumption with a single power connector about 20 years ago and gradually pushed higher every few years needing a second connector. Around 2010 the high end GPU reached around 300W and only recently have GPU's exceeded this, for about 15 years high end GPUs stayed in the 200-300W range.

The chip manufactures are struggling to find the performance increases of the past so are now making high end chips that consume more than 300W and it's getting rather silly.

Its the same story with the CPU and they generally draw less.

If you're thinking of multiple graphics cards, well no. 3 high end GPUs from back in the day still consume less than 3 high end GPUs today.

There was a lot of misconceptions back then, gaming rigs would have power supplies capable of 1000-1500W yet total power consumption would be 200W. Even tri SLI rig would only draw about 600W. Also some of the power supplies back then claiming 1000-1500W only delivered half, just marketing and playing with the numbers.

Last edited:
I find this statement amusing, because it implies that the fanbase didn't do exactly that for the Playstation exclusive GT7 at launch, and that Polyphony Digital actually listens to fan feedback.

Just a few quick examples off my head: only the first page of the collection can be viewed on the Gran Turismo website, and there's still a paint colour called "Hilitary Green" in the livery editor. Lobbies are still a laggy mess and PS4 users are suffering a new screen freezing issue mid race. This is a game that's now 9 months old.

I can only assume "QA" in Polyphnese means, "ticket bonanza and single player Tomahawk PP exploits". If PD are struggling so much with just two first party home consoles, I shudder at the thought of them making a game for the PC.
Fully agree

He's worried that it might turn out like the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV.

But if the tired old PlayStation 4 can handle Gran Turismo 7, I'm sure any modern beefy PC won't have any problems with it.

Back