Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo 7’s Future, the GT World Tour, and More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 180 comments
No it doesn't. Horizon adding a complete extra standalone piece of story content on PS5 only does not set precedence that they're going to straight up stop supporting a live service PS4 title and switch to only supporting it on PS5. They're completely different situations.

They're supported strongly for about two years at the most. After that, it's minor updates and fixes. I see no evidence or anything Kaz has said to believe GT7 will be any different in that regard. GT7 is different however in that it's the first cross-gen game, and for that reason, I can very much see them stopping support even sooner to focus on the next, PS5 only game.

We're 9 months into updates now and there has only been one significant feature update, and that was just something that was supposed to be there day 1. There is absolutely ZERO sign of any substantial new content or features, beyond the drip feed format they've been following so far. There is no roadmap, there is no tease of future features, or substantial changes to the game.

You're just living in pure hope with your big Spec 2 update full of new stuff.

I've never said I categorically don't believe a PC version could happen. It could. What I keep calling you out on is constantly mentioning it as if its a matter-of-fact thing, when it's not. Whenever I call you out on your supposed inside information, you go quiet.

GT games have never been given away in any PS+ offering, I see no reason for that to change. They didn't even give away GT6 when it flopped to try and boost it.
The thing here is that you tell him that his theory about B-Spec 2 is just born out of hope and in the subtext that he is naive and you don’t see any evidence for this, while you at the same time say that you think that GT8 will come out in 2024.
That’s both at the end just speculation, nothing more nothing less.

Next time you aren't playing do a ****** lap on the fastest lap in Sport mode and see how many that was faster than you. And that is a very distinct challenge in GT7.
I don't care, I have no interest in racing online, I have interest in a decent single player experience. Other people being faster than me is fine, my ego doesn't need stroking to prove myself nor do I need to invest time in something I'm not interested in to convince myself that a product must be great.
And i guarantee you, neither Sony nor PD would keep investing in this game if it weren't for the PS+ subs, people do just buy one game and play that game and nothing else.
I agree on the first point to a point, but the financial viability of GT7 from a development point of view isn't what anyone but you are trying to debate here, the actual quality of the game and updates is. Two very different things and one being considered successful doesn't by default mean the other is great. On the second point please provide a source for this fact and show how many people are buying one game, playing one game and susbribing to PS+ on the basis of that one game.
And there is plenty of content to match the price of the game, when you have done every event, every menu, gotten you S license and earned just a medal on every challenge on the circuits you will have played the game for many hours.
And that is before you hit the rest of the game.
So glorified time trials are worth a full priced game? Give me a break. I understand some people with lower expectations ordifferent preferences will be happy with it, but I am not. I get opinions will differ here but don't speak as a matter of fact for other people, once you go beyond your own personal opnion you are immediately wrong.
Does the game need more events, absolutely, the end game in GT7 is broken if you don't play sports mode, and my post history is very clear on where i stand on that.
We agree here, half of what you say is fine even where I don't agree and those are where your opinion is concerned. It's the bits where you try to claim many peoples are x, y or z with not a shred of evidence that I'm taking issue with. If you personally feel GT7 justified it's purchase price, great, you aren't alone I'm sure, but there are plenty of people who don't either.

Last edited:
PD is giving us that play the game free content every month, you call it drip feeding, it is obvious that 2 tracks and plenty of cars isn't drip feeding, that is solid content unless you have a blind hate towards a game you didn't play.
Disregarding everything else you've written because it's a lot to unpack, how is 3 cars a month "solid content" when PD themselves have shown they're capable of producing 10-15 cars a month in GT Sport?

Last edited:
GT7 is structured like a gacha game because that is the way the industry is trending. I don't blame the developers, I blame the gacha whales who dump hundreds of dollars into those systems, telling the developers that "hey, this is how we make money!"
It's how the industry was trending 5 to 10 years ago. For a large number of reasons (including legal barriers in some countries) the push towards gacha mechanics in full priced games has significantly lessened, and it's not really going up.

It's still in F2P games obviously and those are becoming more ubiquitous, but in that case it's simply a case of the game needs to make money somehow and that's a viable method. Personally, I have no problem with gacha in F2P games.

As usual, Polyphony are late to the party and really missed the peak of when they could have slipped gacha mechanics into a game while everyone just shrugged. That's part of why there was such a big backlash at launch.
Yes there is plenty of examples, if you are a gamer you would know, wonna play Anthem? lollerskates, i don't think so.
Anthem got dropped, but it took about a year. Substantial changes were being made up until then, albeit on a fundamentally flawed game. I wouldn't call that being dropped cold when it got support for longer than GT7 has been out.

If Polyphony decides to discontinue support for GT7 in March 2023, are you gonna say it was dropped cold after release? I doubt it.

Very few AAA games get thrown out with no post-release support at all. A developer would have to know that the game was an irredeemable trash fire, but still want to get the small amount of sales that they could manage before word got around that the game was awful and be willing to take the reputational damage of releasing a stinker and doing nothing about it. Most devs and publishers would just cancel the game before it got to that point.
...people do just buy one game and play that game and nothing else.
They do, but they're a minority. They have to be because they undermine the business model that consoles and games are built on. Attach rate is a very important number to Sony because they want a single console to drive multiple game purchases in order to generate the most profit.

If significant numbers of people only bought one game, consoles (and games) would cost a lot more. Economies of scale drives the affordability of the whole enterprise.

People just have to accept we play games in different ways. I've put hundreds of hours (according to PSN stats) into GT7, and so have many of my friends, associates, and fellow GTP members. That doesn't apply to everyone, but there's clearly a gaping chasm in some players expectations, and reality. I see some say they played GT7 for a handful of weeks, completed the cafe, then never picked it up again. I've spent more time trying to beat friends License times, reach Gold on a Time Trial, or even build a single car to my particular tastes. That's without fully delving into photography, online racing, or completing all available events.

Everyone has their grumbles and can see where GT7 can be improved, at least for their particular tastes. Recent updates have gone a long way to improving perceptions, and everything Kaz has said gives me faith in the direction of GT7. If you haven't played GT7 at all, there's a hell of a game waiting for you. If you haven't picked up GT7 in months, there's a hell of a lot of new content and great cars to experience.

Let's summarise what they've added for single player racing events shall we.

April: 3 races & 8 endurance 1hr events, one time payout.
May: 9 races.
June: 3 races.
July: 6 races
August: 4 races.
September: 6 races.
October: 5 races.
November: 5 races.
December: 3 races.

9 months, 52 new races. 44 repeatable for credits. That's the equivalent of one event created every 5 days, roughly. Now I know PD are known for being slow, but I can't believe for one second that their huge team has genuinely only made one new event every 5 days on average. They've been drip feeding.

I have no faith they'll suddenly add a substantial amount of race events and cars/tracks content in some Spec 2 update. There is zero indication of any ramping up. They're just going to continue in this format until we hear otherwise.

Recent updates have gone a long way to improving perceptions, and everything Kaz has said gives me faith in the direction of GT7. If you haven't played GT7 at all, there's a hell of a game waiting for you. If you haven't picked up GT7 in months, there's a hell of a lot of new content and great cars to experience.
How? The only, only, decent feature PD have added in recent months is the ability to sell cars, a feature the game should've launch with and was in every other numbered title at launch before 7. They've added a few new cars, some good, some less so depending on tastes but they're still being delivered at a slow rate and the real problems online (according to some as I don't race online) and the lack of a single player career still remain as big an issue now as they were 9 months ago.

If I hadn't played GT7 in 3 months I could switch it on today and it would probably take longer for the game to update than to experience the new content they've added in that time.

If I hadn't played GT7 in 3 months I could switch it on today and it would probably take longer for the game to update than to experience the new content they've added in that time.
This. The monthly server maintenance on the whole takes longer to complete than the actual racing content added in the update.

Not counting outliers like the 8 hour missions...or the 30 hour maintenance.

Everyone has their grumbles and can see where GT7 can be improved, at least for their particular tastes. Recent updates have gone a long way to improving perceptions, and everything Kaz has said gives me faith in the direction of GT7. If you haven't played GT7 at all, there's a hell of a game waiting for you. If you haven't picked up GT7 in months, there's a hell of a lot of new content and great cars to experience.
I don't think the updates have done much to shift people's perceptions at all. If you thought GT7 was great at release, you're going to think it's even more great. If you thought that stuff was lacking or poorly designed, it's highly unlikely that they've changed your mind as they've just added more of the same.

Gameplay content is the big sticking point, and while you can say that there's a hell of a lot of new content there isn't really. Not by the standards of Gran Turismo and Forza games. Particularly, for a live service you want the rate of new content incoming to at least match the play time of a pretty casual player. The hardcore will take care of themselves, but the player who puts in 2-4 hours a week should probably have enough new content coming that they should never have to be repeating stuff. That's not a big ask for a studio of Polyphony's calibre.

9 months, 52 new races. 44 repeatable for credits. That's the equivalent of one event created every 5 days, roughly. Now I know PD are known for being slow, but I can't believe for one second that their huge team has genuinely only made one new event every 5 days on average. They've been drip feeding.

I have no faith they'll suddenly add a substantial amount of race events and cars/tracks content in some Spec 2 update. There is zero indication of any ramping up. They're just going to continue in this format until we hear otherwise.
I can't imagine why you'd think PD would release every piece of content they produce. It makes total sense to compartmentalise their output with GT7 DLC, GT8 content, and yes, something set aside for a possible Spec 2 release. Not to mention ongoing work with new platforms. As it is GT7 is already a huge game with a substantial amount of DLC, as seen by players putting in many hundreds of hours.
How? The only, only, decent feature PD have added in recent months is the ability to sell cars, a feature the game should've launch with and was in every other numbered title at launch before 7. They've added a few new cars, some good, some less so depending on tastes but they're still being delivered at a slow rate and the real problems online (according to some as I don't race online) and the lack of a single player career still remain as big an issue now as they were 9 months ago.
Some, like yourself, want a game that is fundamentally different to GT7. That isn't going to happen, PD have their vision. After 9 months you're either in the camp that's still playing GT7 and looking forward to future developments. Or you stopped playing months ago. The last two updates (taken as a pair) are probably the strongest to date, and a great way to round out the year.
I know you think this is a knock on PD, but it says more about your own preferences. I don't think GT7 is the game for you if you can only get an hours entertainment out of a dozen cars, a new track, and numerous events. There's so much to GT7 that you apparently aren't interested in, which again is personal preference. Completing events is only a small part of my game time.

Last edited:
Gameplay content is the big sticking point, and while you can say that there's a hell of a lot of new content there isn't really. Not by the standards of Gran Turismo and Forza games. Particularly, for a live service you want the rate of new content incoming to at least match the play time of a pretty casual player. The hardcore will take care of themselves, but the player who puts in 2-4 hours a week should probably have enough new content coming that they should never have to be repeating stuff. That's not a big ask for a studio of Polyphony's calibre.
And with circuit racing games, it's...easy.

The format of new content is just [insert car type] on [insert track] for [insert number of laps or length of time].

It's not like people are asking PD to create new novelty gameplay interactions or record dialogue or film cutscenes.

They don't need to do anymore than what they're doing.

I can't imagine why you'd think PD would release every piece of content they produce. It makes total sense to compartmentalise their output with GT7 DLC, GT8 content, and yes, something set aside for a possible Spec 2 release. Not to mention ongoing work with new platforms. As it is GT7 is already a huge game with a substantial amount of DLC, as seen by players putting in many hundreds of hours.
What precedence are you basing this off? There was no Spec 2 for GT6. There was no Spec 2 for GTS in terms of new content, just a collective updated disc with that name. Even the Spec 2 update for GT5 was not particularly big.

There were no substantial new updates for GTS other than adding back the GT League they took out, I don't consider some time trials with Lewis Hamiltons name attached as substantial. There were no new features. They just kept plodding along at the same rate for about two years, then that was it. They seemingly held very little back for GT7, given that it only launched with 54 totally new cars and zero totally new tracks.

So again, what exactly are you basing the idea of big step changes in update quality and quantity? Have I missed Kaz saying something non vague?

GT7 is not particularly huge, in comparison to past games. The fact some people have got hundreds of hours out of it proves nothing, some people played Pong and Tetris for hundreds of hours. I've no doubt people spend hundreds of hours making liveries or taking photos, but that isn't content.

They don't need to do anymore than what they're doing.
Er, ok?Of course they don't need to do anything, they've got zero obligations. But if they want to keep millions of people playing the game for years to come, they absolutely need to offer more than that. They are only going to have the small die hards left playing if they continue like that.

Last edited:
What precedence are you basing this off? There was no Spec 2 for GT6. There was no Spec 2 for GTS in terms of new content, just a collective updated disc with that name. Even the Spec 2 update for GT5 was not particularly big.

There were no substantial updates for GTS other than adding back the GT League they took out, I don't consider some time trials with Lewis Hamiltons name attached as substantial. There were no new features. They just kept plodding along at the same rate for about two years, then that was it. They seemingly held very little back for GT7, given that it only launched with 54 totally new cars and zero totally new tracks.

So again, what exactly are you basing the idea of big step changes in update quality and quantity? Have I missed Kaz saying something non vague?

GT7 is not particularly huge, in comparison to past games. The fact some people have got hundreds of hours out of it proves nothing, some people played Pong and Tetris for hundreds of hours. I've no doubt people spend hundreds of hours making liveries or taking photos, but that isn't content.

Er, ok?Of course they don't need to do anything, they've got zero obligations. But if they want to keep millions of people playing the game for years to come, they absolutely need to offer more than that. They are only going to have the small die hards left playing if they continue like that.

That's the thing. Even me playing the way I play, I still see nothing that's making me go, oh yes, I'll jump back in that event(s).
Seriously, I continue bringing up the Tuning Car Grand Prix from GT4. Put that in the game and I'm on it.

Players want the real endurance races, seasonals, championships. Plainly, more variety. Grievances can't be any simpler that and PD haven't delivered for many.

Er, ok? Of course they don't need to do anything, they've got zero obligations. But if they want to keep millions of people playing the game for years to come, they absolutely need to offer more than that. They are only going to have the small die hards left playing if they continue like that.
Let me add something to my original post:
They don't need to do anymore than what they're doing IN MY OPINION.

Last edited:

Some, like yourself, want a game that is fundamentally different to GT7. That isn't going to happen, PD have their vision. After 9 months you're either in the camp that's still playing GT7 and looking forward to future developments. Or you stopped playing months ago. The last two updates (taken as a pair) are probably the strongest to date, and a great way to round out the year.

I know you think this is a knock on PD, but it says more about your own preferences. I don't think GT7 is the game for you if you can only get an hours entertainment out of a dozen cars, a new track, and numerous events. There's so much to GT7 that you apparently aren't interested in, which again is personal preference. Completing events is only a small part of my game time.
Exactly.

No, I don't want a game that is fundamentally different to GT7, I have said time and time again, I think GT7 has the foundation to be the best GT game to date not just on a technical level, where it currently is the best, but as a game as well, where it's currently lagging behind GT1-4 IMO. And it's a shame they've left it like this and released it in the state it was.

Besides even if GT7 was completely the wrong game for me your argument is lazy and attempts to side step the discussion over why myself and others are dissapointed with GT7 without addressing it. At the same time you have failed to answer my question to you based on your previous statement, of How "Recent updates have gone a long way to improving perceptions"? The updates are far smaller than what we were used to for GT Sport and we still lack a single player sandbox career, the hallmark of previous numbered titles. The game doesn't need more cars when it already doesn't make use of half the cars it already has.

They could fix most of my gripes with GT7 very easilly, increase the scale of AI difficulty in the custom races up to 5 where the AI don't hold off on full throttle, increase the custom race payouts to something more reasonable and give players the ability to share custom races with others like we can share liveries.

If they did that, the games appeal would change significantly in one update and there's nothing stopping them from doing that except... Oh yeah, FOMO, in addition to the UCD and LCD and daily marathon driving FOMO they also want to keep dripping the content because that gets players coming back. If we already had all of the races we personally wanted we'd be fine and not need more races in updates. Then you have MTX's, if they make it too easy for people to whittle away the time in an enjoyable fashion and earning a decent amount of Cr in the process there's reduced temptaion for those inclined to buy MTX's. But you keep defending this, that's your prerogative, but mine is to keep pointing out it's flaws.

Another user (I forget who so if they read this apologies) described GT7 perfectly IMO, it's a mile wide but an inch deep. In other words they've tried to chuck a bit of everything in but everything lacks depth.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t call GT7 huge, it’s a AAA game for sure, but huge is a bit over exaggerated.
There’s a discrepancy between the different parts of the game, especially regarding the single player races.
It would be huge if they would make use out of all the different car classes that are in the game, also not just one or two races with 2-3 laps, more than that and here there some championships.

There is 3 new races every week against human players.
are they really new, though? one of the races is nearly always Gr4, which means one-make race for 90% of the tracks at the higher DR levels. also they have done the exact same car/track combo more times then i can count. even if the penalty system was fair (it is not, nor is it close), nothing about BOP / race selection would keep players enticed. i would love to be driving every day, like i was late-stage GTS, but there's nothing about these Daily Races that feels worth plugging the wheel back in for.

and i haven't checked recently but i feel like the '50 race' trophy was still pretty low, considering the lack of single player content.

I don't play video games online but even if I did, I really don't think "three races that you repeat over and over for an entire week" is quite the positive you suggest.
For people into competitive online play I would guess it's quite a good thing. But for those who aren't interested in that, which represents the majority of players, it's not much of a draw if a one at all.

There is 3 new races every week against human players.
But that isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, and even that could be done much more interesting if they would give more weekly races, maybe like 5 and also make use of all the cars in the game, some more interesting races than just Gr.3 & 4 with some classic cars or even recreating some historical ones like having the Ford GT against the Ferrari P3, let the holy trinity race against each other (if they bring in the normal P1), just Group C Cars, specific VGTs, a selection of classic muscle cars or maybe even some Rally online races here and there, and of course increase the payouts.
That’s what I think would make things more interesting and would be absolutely in the vision of GT, celebrating car culture.

To be fair, developers used to release broken and unfinished games in the past too. They were mostly just called bad games and people didn't play them.

The difference in the modern era is that now when a bad game releases it's unclear whether it might be better in the future or if it's always going to be a turd. Particularly given that there's some high profile examples of games with catastrophic releases turning things around in a big way, but I'd venture to say that they're the exception rather than the rule and most games that are bad at launch are still going to be bad a year or two later.
I can name a bunch of games from before regular updates with glitches or exploits on release. Impossible Mission lives up to its name. One of the items you need is essentially stuck in a wall. Omega Race and Tempest were released with critical hardware faults. Tempest would overheat due to lack of cooling on the color vector display and Omega Race's high score backup battery should have been mounted somewhere other than the top of the motherboard so it wouldn't vent acid onto the board itself. Demon Attack would crash at wave 84 until it was patched. Imagic released a new set of cartridges to fix that. Robot Tank has two variants and I discovered a second variant of Space Shuttle by sheer accident when I tried to dump the cartridge assuming it was the same as the original. Those two were also on 2600 cartridges and new batches were distributed. Aside from backwards compatibility on a certain batch of 7800 consoles, I have no clue why they were patched, I just know they worked fine on a 2600.
Probably the most glaring example in those is Tempest. Some of the machines failed in a matter of hours.

Last edited:
Back