Lamborghini Asterion Concept

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 176 comments
GT Styled Hybrid that actually looks great..

And I'm having a good laugh reading the comments of a post on Facebook about this lambo, people saying things like

These people... :lol:..... :banghead:
Those comments sadden me. I wonder how many of them know the Aventador past the first MY cars, are all equipped with Stop-Start technology & cylinder deactivation that turns the car into a "V6". A hybrid model was only just around the corner.

Yup, I can't believe the people on Facebook. Especially on the "Car and Driver" facebook page, people there seem to just hate on things for some stupid reason as usual.

I love the style! If only they changed the rear window it would be perfect :)

2014-lamborghini-asterion-paris-motor-show-engine.jpg

This car looks 95% production ready. How long until we can expect a production debut?

This car looks 95% production ready. How long until we can expect a production debut?

Probably after the Urus goes into production, since that's what Lambo will likely turn their focus to now that they've got the launch of the Huracan out of the way, so maybe sometime after 2017.

Never ........ Unless a rich customer wants one but it would be built without hybrid tech.

CatScoops
Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann says, describing the study as “a technological demonstrator” whose sole purpose is to address legislative pressure to reduce carbon emissions the Lamborghini way.

What this means is that the Asterion study will not spawn a production model to rival the Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1 or Porsche 918 Spyder. It wouldn’t be able to anyway, since its battery pack makes it around 330 lbs (150 kg) heavier than each of the hybrid supercars already on sale.

“It’s not meant to go on the racetrack. The acceleration is good and the top speed, but in handling it would be out-beaten by the others. It’s more a hyper-cruiser,” Winkelmann told Maxim magazine in an interview.

Hence the unequivocal verdict from the executive: “I strongly believe that this is not a car that will be in production and we will not do it.” However, Winkelmann conceded that elements of the Asterion hybrid technology could find their way into the upcoming Lamborghini SUV. According to him, that would be “easier in terms of packaging–the extra weight percentage-wise in a vehicle like that is less relevant than on a light car like the super sports cars.”

So does this mean we have to completely abandon the idea of a road-going Asterion? Not necessarily, as Winkelmann didn’t rule out the possibility that a wealthy customer might convince Lamborghini to build a one-off version. There’s a catch, however. “If someone wants one, then we can do maybe one. But not with a hybrid solution, just with normal engine. That would be the V-12 from the Aventador,” Winkelmann said.
CarScoops

The V12 would only make it better. :)

If I might equivocate from positions I've held earlier, I'm warming to the idea of companies building limited run or one-off specials. It reminds me of the coachbuilt era. The prices are insane, but so too are the prices of 'one-off' houses by talented architects. It's not a whole lot different.

GT Styled Hybrid that actually looks great..

And I'm having a good laugh reading the comments of a post on Facebook about this lambo, people saying things like

These people... :lol:..... :banghead:
Must be either naive kids, footballers, or rich woman celebrities.
You cant really respect automobile manufacturers without knowing history.

Kinda sad yet strange how its not on production while cars like Veneno can be bought.

It's growing on me... just so different from Lambo's recent chain of cheese-wedge cars (most of which I love). This actually does have a bit of a 'classic GT' feel to it, I like it :)

Have to say that it looks much better in person than in photos. In photos it seems to have stubby proportions or something is off. In person it has an uncommon but very beautiful shape. I personally love it.

350,000 Euros. That's what, $435,000? Only a little more than the Aventador (relatively, of course), and half to a third of the other hybrid hypercars.

I just hope they fix the roof when they finalize the design. It needs to have the single curve forming the silhouette of the car, a feature in Lamborghinis since the Countach. Or at least make it parallel to the ground. It looks like the entire car is leaning back. The sloped roof works in the GT-R because there's a trunk lid to break the line, but if I put a tennis ball on that roof it would roll all the way off the engine cover without bouncing.

Reminds me more of in the spirit of the Jalpa

208261-864064a0-4dd3-11e4-8fca-1a009f6e5217.jpg
But check out how the side air intakes relate to this version of the Miura (which one, I'm not quite sure). The lower intake, the side intake with the sharp shoulder line coming off it and the window intake are all very similar.

Lamborghini_miura_svj_spider_4808.jpg

Apparently Lamborghini is actually discussing where the Asterion would fit in the lineup and what it would cost. Somebody sees a market. Let's be honest, we all see a market but think Lambo is hesitant to jump on new technology. VW and Audi are probably pushing for it.

A thought occurred to me, and it was that if the Asterion were produced than Lamborghini will be building three different supercars without any of them outperforming each another. Of course, the prices will show the order of Asterion, Aventador, Huracan, but as far as performance the order is very fuzzy- the lighter Huracan has been proving it can out-handle the Aventador, and with a duel-clutch transmission from Porsche (essentially) can match the Aventador's acceleration while having less horsepower. And then there's the Asterion, which has 200 horses more than the Aventador and 300 more than the Huracan, but is set up like a GT, and will probably have far worse handling than the others but be faster in a straight line.

I can't think of any other time when three of one brand's cars were competing for its "halo" status.

the lighter Huracan has been proving it can out-handle the Aventador, and with a duel-clutch transmission from Porsche (essentially) can match the Aventador's acceleration while having less horsepower.

Actually, in Car and Driver's testing, the Huracan is quicker than the Aventador. In their testing the Aventador hit 60 in 3 seconds flat, 100 in 6.4, runs through the quarter in 10.9 seconds at 133 mph. The Huracan was clocked at 0-60 in 2.5, 0-100 in 5.7, and a 10.4 second quarter at 135. Though the Aventador has a higher claimed top end, at 217 versus the Huracan's 202. Still pretty close though.

On most tracks neither of the cars will go over 180; the top speed won't matter much at all. I'm just glad the Lamborghini has built a supercar that can properly beat the Ferrari equivalent, which hasn't been the case since at least the Diablo, if not than the Countach LP400. Heck, I'll even say the Huracan could probably outpace the 458 Speciale. Think of what the Superleggera will be like.

Not shocking considering how persistent they've been with getting the Urus out the door since it was shown in 2012. It will be interesting to see how they market the Asterion, though; different interpretations of which model the car is influenced from despite Lamborghini's original statement with the '06 Miura that retro-designed cars would not grace their line-up.

Back