Logitech wheel shaking during braking of Mazda roadster

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 53 comments
This question may have already been answered in another thread but I didn't find anything in a search.

Has any body experienced shaking in the Logitech DFGT or G27 wheels when braking the Maxda roadster? It doesn't seem to happen with other cars. Is this just a simulated brake lock up? It's actually loud enough that my wife can hear it in the next room and it's real annoting when trying to turn fast laps.
Is there a setting in iRacing I could adjust? I'm a real newbie so haven't explored all the options yet.

Thanks....

It is simulated brake lock up and also there with any other wheel (tried Thrustmaster T500 & RGT and Fanatec GT3).

Wow - those are some sensitive brakes. I've got an aftermarket brake spring on order for my G27 - I'm hoping that will give a better brake feel and reduce the lockup problem.

The MX-5 has ABS so the shaking is likely due to the ABS. I think only the Mustang and MX-5 have ABS so that's likely why you don't notice it in other cars

The biggest problem that all of us who transitioned from GT5 into iRacing is locking up the brakes. GT5 creates that bad habit on us, we just mash the brake pedal without any care because nothing really happens, in fact the harder and abruptly do we press on the brakes the better!
Now when we get into properly modeled brakes we tend to lock up big time!

Jav
The biggest problem that all of us who transitioned from GT5 into iRacing is locking up the brakes. GT5 creates that bad habit on us, we just mash the brake pedal without any care because nothing really happens, in fact the harder and abruptly do we press on the brakes the better!

If you consider most of the drivers using ABS at least at 1, then I could agree. But without ABS, braking in GT5 is really challenging.

Does iRacing allow you to disable the ABS?

I don't think so. The MX5 has ABS in real life. As far as I'm aware, you're stuck with it.

The ABS on the Mustang is far less brutal than the MX5's, and as someone previously noted all the other cars don't have it. Think of it as a choice they probably made based on it being a rookie car.

It is simulated brake lock up and also there with any other wheel (tried Thrustmaster T500 & RGT and Fanatec GT3).

I get that same vibration/shaking as in the OP but only in the MX5 when I lock up brakes. Does the MX5 have ABS? Or is this shaking something to find only in the MX5?

edit...D'oh, I did not read all the posts before responding and now I see Imari's answers to my question of ABS.

How cool is it going to be when they finally come out with ffb pedals?

I knew exactly what that was when I felt it in iRacing... its the abs..... but strange to feel it in your hands and not your foot.....

The MX5 has it because the real MX5 has it. The Mustang has it because the real Mustang has it...As you'll soon find that goes for all aspects of all cars in the sim. Only the MX5, Mustang, Solstice and (maybe?) the Jetta have ABS. The MX5's behaves a lot worse for some reason. You'll do best to keep out of that vibration entirely, you'll be faster and the tires will hold up better. The Mustang's is actually really useful and not really noticeable. And I haven't driven the Solstice enough to comment.

How cool is it going to be when they finally come out with ffb pedals?

I knew exactly what that was when I felt it in iRacing... its the abs..... but strange to feel it in your hands and not your foot.....

Does anyone have the Fanatec pedals? I thought I read that they have something similar to FFB? Or is it something to note the ABS?
just curious....

I have the DFGT and I hate the shaking in this car, too. I've adjusted by braking sooner and more progressively, but I just watched the replay of my last race and the first-place car is braking later than me on most corners. And contrary to the people saying you shouldn't brake hard in this car, I would think it makes perfect sense to mash the brake because the ABS system will make you brake as fast as possible without lockup.

If you consider most of the drivers using ABS at least at 1, then I could agree. But without ABS, braking in GT5 is really challenging.
One of my favorite things in GT5 was doing time trials with the F1 cars and turning ABS off (like in real life). It's a really fun feeling locking up the wheels, but also fun when you brake well and don't lock them up! :)

I just started a 3-month trial of iRacing and I'm really enjoying it so far. But I'm pretty bad under pressure and I never know when it's safe/correct to pass someone. My latest strategy to avoid pressure and incidents is to start the races at the back and just wait for people to go off the road and then pass them. It's quite entertaining and seems to be working pretty well with so many rookies (myself included).

Last edited:
No. You want to keep out of the vibration in the MX5. It is still able to lock up and at the point where you feel the ABS, you're accelerating the heat build up in the tires. Which you'll find to kill your lap times.

No. You want to keep out of the vibration in the MX5. It is still able to lock up and at the point where you feel the ABS, you're accelerating the heat build up in the tires. Which you'll find to kill your lap times.
Are you saying there shouldn't be any feedback under braking? 'Cause I tried braking lighter and it still usually "clicks" the wheel a bit. It also seems to want to engage ABS with very little pressure, even though I decreased the pedal sensitivity in the settings. I thought you're supposed to be able to brake hard from a high speed and then ease up as you slow down, but it seems like I have to be very gentle just getting ON the pedal and by the time it's half down I'm done braking.

Roll into the brake, as soon as you feel any of that wheel shake, try to keep out of it. Trust me, I've spent a lot of time in that car, and one of the first things that made me faster was keeping the tires cool by not triggering the ABS. If you're in an open setup series, you can tweak the brake bias a little. I think baseline might use the maximum front bias, and you can get away with a little more in the rear.

The other important thing, which applies to all cars, is to realize when you're giving too much steering angle in the turn and just scrubbing the front tires.

Roll into the brake, as soon as you feel any of that wheel shake, try to keep out of it. Trust me, I've spent a lot of time in that car, and one of the first things that made me faster was keeping the tires cool by not triggering the ABS. If you're in an open setup series, you can tweak the brake bias a little. I think baseline might use the maximum front bias, and you can get away with a little more in the rear.

The other important thing, which applies to all cars, is to realize when you're giving too much steering angle in the turn and just scrubbing the front tires.
I've just been doing the track of the week in the Rookie Miata series with fixed setup. I'm guessing there's a window that shows tire temps; I'll have to check that out tomorrow, along with your tips. Thanks.

You can't see live tire temps. Only when you pit. Believe me, you'll notice a difference on about lap 12 whether you've cooked your tires too early or not. At Lime Rock park especially, I don't know which track they are at right now.

Wow - those are some sensitive brakes. I've got an aftermarket brake spring on order for my G27 - I'm hoping that will give a better brake feel and reduce the lockup problem.

I have stiffer springs for clutch and brake, it helps alot but I still lock them up from time to time (more so now because I'm getting back into it)

Not really. In GT5 people will brag about driving with no ABS but they won't tell you how they also drop the brake pressure(brake bias in GT5land) to 2/1 to compensate for it wich is kind of cheating...
GT5 is a game designed arround a gamepad with a few tweaks to support a wheel, braking in this game is pretty much stomp on the brakes as hard as you can as late as you can to get good lap times!

Jav
Not really. In GT5 people will brag about driving with no ABS but they won't tell you how they also drop the brake pressure(brake bias in GT5land) to 2/1 to compensate for it wich is kind of cheating...
GT5 is a game designed arround a gamepad with a few tweaks to support a wheel, braking in this game is pretty much stomp on the brakes as hard as you can as late as you can to get good lap times!

Brake settings in GT5 are just a ratio. 2/1 would be a 75% brake bias. The default 5/5 on everything is nearly undrivable to me. I think I usually use 3/2, 3/1 for more oversteer prone cars (MR and RR cars especially).

I tried this but the Wheel is shaking in a straight line and I dont know why. I didnt really notice this because I had been racing the slower cars but once I use the Riley or the HPD its pure madness from the wheel. I just go back to the pits and quit so that I dont kill the motors.

I don't know how I did not notice this before. Much worse than GT5 ever was. In GT5 atleast I could just strong arm the wheel to behave but here the forces are simply too great. I must have messed up some setting.

Jav

Any one driving GT5 with brake assist, because that is really what it is is missing a lot of what GT5 physic as to offer. Once you put abs at 0 and adjust brake balance for that particular car you will discover a new level of responsiveness and pleasure. Even the tuning is easier to understand and adjust. Remove abs from GT5, then you can decide what Sim physic you prefer.

Remove abs from GT5, then you can decide what Sim physic you prefer.

I'm not sure why you think GT5 is even in the same ball park as iRacing because it is not. It is not even close, you can have fun with it's 10000 cars but the physics are terrible when compared to iRacing.

Back