Lotus Evija (Type 130)

I didn't expect Lotus to release a hypercar, at least not until getting their SUV thing underway to gather sales or something. However, I won't complain. It's probably going to be amazing on the track, I look forward to it.

The key to this is not that it looks like Lotuses did (not that it's ever had a brand "look"), but that it looks like Lotuses will - while retaining the core Lotus drivers of lightness and (as part of that) no free ride for parts.

It's a £2m halo car for nothing short of a brand relaunch - which will also, in the very near future, include an SUV based on the XC40/Lynk 03/Polestar 2 following the same values.

I guess Lotus doesn't really have a brand image, you're right. Still, a 2000hp, 3800lbs hypercar doesn't really feel Lotus-like. I was expecting something along the lines of an electric "replacement" for the Elise, a lightweight electric sportscar that would fit the Lotus ethos. A bit like the Tesla Roadster (which is an electric Elise anyway) but better.

At 3800lbs...is this the heaviest Lotus ever? Even the Carlton Mega-saloon was lighter than that.
Boris-and-taxi_2153368c.jpg

Hydrogen fuel cell taxi; 2.6 tonnes--5,732 pounds--not including BoJo.

Of course it's not explicitly a Lotus, but the Carlton isn't either.

I do think the rear is rather horrid. Or maybe it's to leave a lasting impression in case you lose a race to one of these Evijas. This Lotus Evija is a mind-blower for sure.

Okaaaaaayyy. Ive done lots of thinking.

I think styling wise, its astonishingly good. There are a few angles that I think don't lend too well to the front, and it ends up looking a little generic. However from certain angles the front weirdly transforms into a stunning thing to look at, which is slightly odd to me. The side profiles, and pretty much every quarter angle just look amazing. Slightly controversially i think that the rear end could be the best looking rear end I have ever seen, and I love how unique it is. Just awesome. I think this car is an exceptional styling triumph. I do however wish for pictures of one that isn't silver. :lol:.

But is it a Lotus? That's actually a really weird question. As others have sort of summed up my own thoughts in this thread already. I don't think Lotus has much of a design language, and I don't think it ever has. The closest thing really is the elise/exige, but the exige was originally just an elise with a wing and a front splitter anyway. I liken the evija to to the Esprit; a bit out of left field for lotus, a complete surprise, and completely awesome.

But is it built by lotus? As in Lotus, rather than """"lotus"""". This was my biggest fear with the Geely takeover, and it was exasperated further when we learned it was an electric hypercar. I am honestly not too sure about the details of how this thing is being built, but watching carfections walkaround with the lead designer talking about the car definately helped convince me that it was still the same company. It also says "Hand built by Lotus" on the back. I just really do home that the reinvigorated company is able to carry the spirit of the brand rather than essentially just being a new company with an old badge on it.

As far as the technology, I think it all sounds incredibly impressive. There are certain aspects of ICE engines that will truly never be outshined by an electric engine for sure, but electric engines outshine ICEs in just as many ways. However, I am yet to actually like a single electric car. Theyve all either been ugly, boring, or just plain old Teslas. This car is what I have been waiting for; its the first fully electric car that I genuinely really like. I cant wait till we get one-on-one video reviews of how this thing feels to drive. It will probably be exciting.

Overall, whilst Im trying to temper myself to avoid a sense of blind biased Lotus worship, the thing really excites me. Cannot wait for the rest. It is going to be a pretty tough job convincing me that the lotus SUV is a good idea :lol:

But is it built by lotus? As in Lotus, rather than """"lotus"""". This was my biggest fear with the Geely takeover, and it was exasperated further when we learned it was an electric hypercar. I am honestly not too sure about the details of how this thing is being built, but watching carfections walkaround with the lead designer talking about the car definately helped convince me that it was still the same company. It also says "Hand built by Lotus" on the back. I just really do home that the reinvigorated company is able to carry the spirit of the brand rather than essentially just being a new company with an old badge on it.

Lotus have always, or at least for a long time, essentially been two different, complimentary companies. Lotus Cars and Lotus Engineering. Where as the cars side has greatly fluctuated in it's car output over the years, the engineering side has always been strong. They've done so much work for other car companies, like the chassis and engine development projects that are well known as well as much more stuff that isn't widely reported. They've been developing electric automotive stuff for a long time now. I used to go climbing with a guy who was an engineering prof at Sheffield Uni who was contracted as an advisor to work on various electric propulsion and kinetic energy recovery systems with them, and that was at least 8 - 10 years ago.

I'm seeing some Ford GT flying buttress influence here, although I like the Lotus incarnation better. Still I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that that design element is showing up more.

I'm seeing some Ford GT flying buttress influence here, although I like the Lotus incarnation better. Still I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that that design element is showing up more.
I think the element originating in the beltline rather than the canopy makes it come off better. And I'm surprised it's not showing up even more.

Another hypercar?
Looks nice, but does the world really need that?

For me, holly trinity (P1, 918, Laferari) was great, but after that so many hypercars came with 1000+ horsepower... The only gamechanger for me is the Mclaren Senna. Everything else is just beautiful design and too much horsepower. Not even racing cars have so much power!!
Nobody can afford them except some rich guys, who cant race on track. Can anyone give me reasons why so many companies make hypercars nowadays? Even the supercar segment is too expensive.
So for us, driving lovers, there is not much left as the sport car segment (250hp-450hp) could be better and I think even in the 90' you had more choice.

Yep, gotta admit...even as a car guy, "another" hypercar with 1,000+ HP is boring...an electric one even more boring. It's going to make a handful of journalists look silly on YouTube, be sold to collectors who'll never drive them...and will then be outclassed/outgunned in another six months.

Even though I rarely buy new cars, I'm far more interested in cars which actual normal people can buy - cars you'll see at tracks, on the road, etc. With hypercars I will only ever enjoy, at most, a nine minute segment on Top Gear or Grand Tour etc...and then it'll fade from memory.

Last edited:
I can see that the automotive-proletariat is starting to grow uneasy with these megawatt-class nonsense cash-mobiles. We are the Zeitgeist of the Gran Turismo era! (mostly). We own the means of influence (??)!!! We must rise up and take back (demand?) affordable fun. Who's with me?

Another hypercar?
Looks nice, but does the world really need that?

For me, holly trinity (P1, 918, Laferari) was great, but after that so many hypercars came with 1000+ horsepower... The only gamechanger for me is the Mclaren Senna. Everything else is just beautiful design and too much horsepower. Not even racing cars have so much power!!
Nobody can afford them except some rich guys, who cant race on track. Can anyone give me reasons why so many companies make hypercars nowadays? Even the supercar segment is too expensive.
So for us, driving lovers, there is not much left as the sport car segment (250hp-450hp) could be better and I think even in the 90' you had more choice.

Yep, gotta admit...even as a car guy, "another" hypercar with 1,000+ HP is boring...an electric one even more boring. It's going to make a handful of journalists look silly on YouTube, be sold to collectors who'll never drive them...and will then be outclassed/outgunned in another six months.

Even though I rarely buy new cars, I'm far more interested in cars which actual normal people can buy - cars you'll see at tracks, on the road, etc. With hypercars I will only ever enjoy, at most, a nine minute segment on Top Gear or Grand Tour etc...and then it'll fade from memory.

I can see that the automotive-proletariat is starting to grow uneasy with these megawatt-class nonsense cash-mobiles. We are the Zeitgeist of the Gran Turismo era! (mostly). We own the means of influence (??)!!! We must rise up and take back (demand?) affordable fun. Who's with me?

These multi-million dollar hypercars are not for you or me. You don't have to care about them, or lust after them, or look at them, or need them. They're for others who want them.

If you want affordable fun, that's wonderful and with enough likeminded people you'll get it. But it has nothing to do with the demand for hypercars. Demand for affordable sports cars results in affordable sports cars, not a lack of unaffordable ones.

Just another quick thought, the electric car market is deflating so rapidly that I wouldn't be surprised to see affordable 1000hp electric cars show up in the near future. Be happy someone with cash to burn is funding this R&D for you.

Now you sound like @Dotini. All that's missing is UFOs and a GoT quote.

Pulled in like a moth to a flame, I agree. This beast is no Lotus. My personal driving experience begins and ends with the Elite, Elan and Mk 20 Formula Junior. But all Chapman designed Lotus cars are themed by the aphorism, "add lightness". At 3800 lbs, you should have two or even three Lotus cars! These days my idea of affordable fun is a hopped up Mazda 2 with sticky tires.

These multi-million dollar hypercars are not for you or me. You don't have to care about them, or lust after them, or look at them, or need them. They're for others who want them.

If you want affordable fun, that's wonderful and with enough likeminded people you'll get it. But it has nothing to do with the demand for hypercars. Demand for affordable sports cars results in affordable sports cars, not a lack of unaffordable ones.

Just another quick thought, the electric car market is deflating so rapidly that I wouldn't be surprised to see affordable 1000hp electric cars show up in the near future. Be happy someone with cash to burn is funding this R&D for you.

I was being mostly facetious. There is something there though. I do think these manufacturers are diluting the idea of exotic cars to the point where it's plausible eventually nobody will care. From 1974 to 1990 the Lamborghini Countach was the supercar archetype, a singular expression of extreme design and performance. In that sense, the Countach is still without equal. The Mclaren F1 and Bugatti Veyron were probably the only cars to approach that level of supercar hegemony. What car, today, can you hold up and say "this one is the absolute". I would argue none of them, because in 2 months something else will come out that has a bigger number. All of this is to say is that supercars are a victim (IMO) of their own success. Sure, a Mclaren Senna is probably miles better to drive than a Countach or even a Mclaren F1, but it also has an ephemeral quality...here today, forgotten tomorrow. Hell, even the much hyped P1 is looking a little vague these days. I think the problem is the conceptual vision. If the goal is just "the the-st" than you'll never make anything memorable. When the Countach was first unveiled, the concept of an extreme car was actually novel so it worked. The F1 had a novel concept; use F1 knowledge and construction technique to build an ultimate road car. The Veyron had a novel concept; build a grand touring car that can do 400km/h with ease, refinement and reasonable degrees of usability. This Lotus thing? Use electricity to build the mostest fastest, N+1? Yawn. I guess what I'm saying is that this Lotus is fundamentally/conceptually boring and Lotus should do something else to impress me.

Also: Aliens.

Yep, that's more or less the unfortunate part for me.

Tech is advancing so quickly that we get a mega-super-hyper-car every two or three months. A crazy hypercar used to be something to marvel at, and we seldom got one, so it was big deal - occasionally for two or three years. Now, bizarrely the hypercar market seems flooded. So rather than being car mag pin-ups, they're just eliciting an "oh another one" from me. Which is a shame. The top tier of any hobby or interest should still be...of interest to the people who can't afford them.

A watch collector should still be fascinated by and enjoy a million dollar watch they're never going to own. As a car enthusiast I should still find something of interest in a hypercar. It should still stir me.

The rapid pace of exceedingly quick and ridiculous cars is so consistent now that it's lost that impact on me. All-electric even more. It guarantees we don't have to wait around for "first sound and firing up of _______" videos. It means there's nothing pretty, chrome, polished, gorgeous under the hood to look at. There's nothing interesting to even talk about power-plant wise beyond efficiency numbers and pure output. Electric cars are fine, but emotionally stirring? Not so much. An electric car will never have an incredible unique exhaust noise, etc. The kind of stuff you talk about for decades after the car's release. It'll be another electro-whining vehicle with face-melting performance.

This kind of thing just leaves me a little cold. If you want to get me impressed or intrigued, I find stuff like the Singer Porsches to be immensely more interesting or stirring to my soul :D

I was being mostly facetious. There is something there though. I do think these manufacturers are diluting the idea of exotic cars to the point where it's plausible eventually nobody will care. From 1974 to 1990 the Lamborghini Countach was the supercar archetype, a singular expression of extreme design and performance. In that sense, the Countach is still without equal. The Mclaren F1 and Bugatti Veyron were probably the only cars to approach that level of supercar hegemony. What car, today, can you hold up and say "this one is the absolute". I would argue none of them, because in 2 months something else will come out that has a bigger number. All of this is to say is that supercars are a victim (IMO) of their own success. Sure, a Mclaren Senna is probably miles better to drive than a Countach or even a Mclaren F1, but it also has an ephemeral quality...here today, forgotten tomorrow. Hell, even the much hyped P1 is looking a little vague these days. I think the problem is the conceptual vision. If the goal is just "the the-st" than you'll never make anything memorable. When the Countach was first unveiled, the concept of an extreme car was actually novel so it worked. The F1 had a novel concept; use F1 knowledge and construction technique to build an ultimate road car. The Veyron had a novel concept; build a grand touring car that can do 400km/h with ease, refinement and reasonable degrees of usability. This Lotus thing? Use electricity to build the mostest fastest, N+1? Yawn. I guess what I'm saying is that this Lotus is fundamentally/conceptually boring and Lotus should do something else to impress me.

Also: Aliens.

Yep, that's more or less the unfortunate part for me.

Tech is advancing so quickly that we get a mega-super-hyper-car every two or three months. A crazy hypercar used to be something to marvel at, and we seldom got one, so it was big deal - occasionally for two or three years. Now, bizarrely the hypercar market seems flooded. So rather than being car mag pin-ups, they're just eliciting an "oh another one" from me. Which is a shame. The top tier of any hobby or interest should still be...of interest to the people who can't afford them.

A watch collector should still be fascinated by and enjoy a million dollar watch they're never going to own. As a car enthusiast I should still find something of interest in a hypercar. It should still stir me.

The rapid pace of exceedingly quick and ridiculous cars is so consistent now that it's lost that impact on me. All-electric even more. It guarantees we don't have to wait around for "first sound and firing up of _______" videos. It means there's nothing pretty, chrome, polished, gorgeous under the hood to look at. There's nothing interesting to even talk about power-plant wise beyond efficiency numbers and pure output. Electric cars are fine, but emotionally stirring? Not so much. An electric car will never have an incredible unique exhaust noise, etc. The kind of stuff you talk about for decades after the car's release. It'll be another electro-whining vehicle with face-melting performance.

This kind of thing just leaves me a little cold. If you want to get me impressed or intrigued, I find stuff like the Singer Porsches to be immensely more interesting or stirring to my soul :D

Ok, you're both lamenting the loss of specialness. I think it's going to be up to you to reclaim that somewhere.

The goal of these cars (typically) was not to get bedroom posters up or idolization among the masses. It's hard to convert that into sales. The goal of these is to sell them, to the people that want to buy them. They don't care whether you think it's special or are bored by them, as it's not what they're trying to do.

Yes you could argue that there is a "brand image" element of it, especially as Lotus has some downmarket cars that are more attainable to everyone. But I think the brand image element of it is done merely by releasing this one. They've already made the idea of an EV Lotus palatable enough to one day, years from now, introduce it at the lowest end. Heck the Tesla Roadster kinda helped them out in that regard already.

Point is, they don't care whether you're intrigued or impressed. Feel free to be bored. They're selling these to the people that want them. The hypercar market is doing some really strange things recently, and companies are lining up to get a piece of it.

My initial post was an observation (with added garnish a la Dotini) that I sense a growing...hmmm...what's the best word...disillusionment maybe? with the ever-exponential hypercars. While I've been feeling this way for a few years now, I haven't until recently noticed too many folks in the same boat. Hypercars are only useful to the rich if the plebs give them attention for, otherwise whats the point? Nothing worse than poor people thinking your selection in exotica is uninspired.

Counterpoint. I don't really care what the company wants or expects from producing a product. I have one sole interest, and that's as a car enthusiast and a consumer. I will continue to post my opinion and thoughts on it as I see fit. At no point did I state they were supposed to cater to my interests.

I don't have to be a consumer of a product to critique or praise it.

My initial post was an observation (with added garnish a la Dotini) that I sense a growing...hmmm...what's the best word...disillusionment maybe? with the ever-exponential hypercars. While I've been feeling this way for a few years now, I haven't until recently noticed too many folks in the same boat. Hypercars are only useful to the rich if the plebs give them attention for, otherwise whats the point? Nothing worse than poor people thinking your selection in exotica is uninspired.
Your facility with language is becoming more charming every week. :)
With a tip of the hat to @TexRex, "A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinion of sheep" ;)

I think that, as @Dotini rather bluntly put it above, they don't care for the attention, or at least the specific attention, as much as you might think. That might very well prefer that their car is not recognizable, and is perfectly unique (especially in a given configuration), than that it is recognized and understood as being exotic. But I wouldn't presume to know what their criteria for these cars is as I do not exist in those circles.

Counterpoint. I don't really care what the company wants or expects from producing a product. I have one sole interest, and that's as a car enthusiast and a consumer. I will continue to post my opinion and thoughts on it as I see fit. At no point did I state they were supposed to cater to my interests.

I don't have to be a consumer of a product to critique or praise it.

I'm commenting on your words.

The top tier of any hobby or interest should still be...of interest to the people who can't afford them
[snip]
As a car enthusiast I should still find something of interest in a hypercar. It should still stir me.
[snip]
If you want to get me impressed or intrigued

I agree that you don't have to be a consumer to critique or praise it, but you should understand when you don't find that it appeals to you that it isn't meant to. I don't have hair (apart from some stubble). I could comment that hair spray doesn't appeal to me, but it's a bit pointless given that it's not made for me. You seemed to be implying (rather strongly) that it should appeal to you.

@Danoff @Dotini

Is "please like and subscribe" the mantra of a Lion? Seems like attention is a pretty vital commodity these days.

Attention is existential to somebody like Shmee. :ill: And manufacturers are definitely catering to influencers. Chevy reserved a dedicated influencer section for the C8 reveal. Ford allocated a portion their GT supercars to influencers. There are plenty more examples.

I think we have veered off topic. Par for the course with this group. :lol:

Sorry that's how you read it. I'm merely pointing out why many of us aren't overly enamored with the car. The "me" and "I" are simply representative of a general car enthusiast. People like yourself seem to be opposed to people critiquing or discussing stuff. The "it's not for you...why do you care?" is pretty dismissive and lazy.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, I disagree with your stance even more. A hypercar is a brand's image right? How many people grew up, became wealthy and bought a Lamborghini or Ferrari because it was a poster on their wall as a kid? Probably quite a few. Lotus sells a large number of cars for the slightly less-wealthy person...so wouldn't you want to appeal to everyone? Hey do you love this Hypercar? Well you can at least buy a used Lotus Elise, etc. I do think a company's goal should be making a car that is idolized by all car enthusiasts. It should interest anyone who loves things that zip around on four wheels. We live in the day of YouTube streamers who can afford supercars, if not hypercars. The market is huge. I just don't buy the "it's not for you, they don't care".

Last edited:
@Danoff @Dotini

Is "please like and subscribe" the mantra of a Lion? Seems like attention is a pretty vital commodity these days.

Attention is existential to somebody like Shmee. :ill: And manufacturers are definitely catering to influencers. Chevy reserved a dedicated influencer section for the C8 reveal. Ford allocated a portion their GT supercars to influencers. There are plenty more examples.

I think we have veered off topic. Par for the course with this group. :lol:

So you think these hypercars (pretty far flung from the C8) are made for people to get likes on social media? I seriously doubt it. But if that were the case, then they've got a problem if you're getting bored, and that will get corrected.

Sorry that's how you read it.

Not only is that how I read it, you went on to edit this post to reinforce that interpretation of it.

I'm merely pointing out why many of us aren't overly enamored with the car. The "me" and "I" are simply representative of a general car enthusiast. People like yourself seem to be opposed to people critiquing or discussing stuff. The "it's not for you...why do you care?" is pretty dismissive and lazy.

I'm not opposed to critiques of it. I'm saying that your critique of it is not a very good one. You're being critical of it for not achieving something which it was not designed to achieve. To be completely transparent here, I'm not sure what it's designed to achieve either. It's hard for me to be critical of it then, because for all I know it's doing exactly why they set out to do. I'm just not sure what that is, or why, because I don't understand the mental state of the buyer. You can call that lazy or dismissive if you want.

If they have to drop the price, or can't sell enough of them, then I'll at least have some evidence that it doesn't do what they wanted.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, I disagree with your stance even more. A hypercar is a brand's image right? How many people grew up, became wealthy and bought a Lamborghini or Ferrari because it was a poster on their wall as a kid? Probably quite a few. Lotus sells a large number of cars for the slightly less-wealthy person...so wouldn't you want to appeal to everyone? Hey do you love this Hypercar? Well you can at least buy a used Lotus Elise, etc. I do think a company's goal should be making a car that is idolized by all car enthusiasts. It should interest anyone who loves things that zip around on four wheels. We live in the day of YouTube streamers who can afford supercars, if not hypercars. The market is huge. I just don't buy the "it's not for you, they don't care".

I did address this:

me
Yes you could argue that there is a "brand image" element of it, especially as Lotus has some downmarket cars that are more attainable to everyone. But I think the brand image element of it is done merely by releasing this one. They've already made the idea of an EV Lotus palatable enough to one day, years from now, introduce it at the lowest end. Heck the Tesla Roadster kinda helped them out in that regard already.

To a certain extent, there is zero need to market the unobtainium successfully to anyone buying the lower priced models. All they have to do is justify their credentials by having some amazing unobtainium... even if you have no interest in it. I forget what the term for this is in marketing... lemme see if I can find it... apparently it's an extension of something called arbitrary coherence. They don't have to expect you to actually buy the high priced item, but it makes the lower priced item look like a bargain. Bonus if they can line up buyers for the higher priced version.

What they are literally doing is funding R&D. Marketing says that there's sufficient demand for a multi-million dollar hypercar, and they make one in order to develop the in-house technology that they can use to create competitive products at all levels. It's especially important that the customer base is small and the number of examples is small so that if the newly developed tech turns out to be difficult to maintain they don't have to recall 200,000 products. It's advantageous to keep ratcheting up the price and capability until the number of people willing to purchase it fits in a room.

You probably don't care about any of that, which is fine. But I think it is zero skin off of Lotus's nose if you're not interested in their hypercar. I would imagine that it doesn't make you less interested in the lower-end lotus models. Right? Or do you hold this against them.

For what it's worth, a big chunk of these manufacturers' consumer base don't like this either. Shmee is relentlessly mocked on Ferrarichat & Rennlist when his name is brought up as a complete tosser. Many Ford GT owners were also very unhappy that certain social media people were picked because to Ford, "they would share the car with the world".

For what it's worth, a big chunk of these manufacturers' consumer base don't like this either. Shmee is relentlessly mocked on Ferrarichat & Rennlist when his name is brought up as a complete tosser. Many Ford GT owners were also very unhappy that certain social media people were picked because to Ford, "they would share the car with the world".

I'm afraid the trend will only get worse, not better. Until the inevitable economic collapse happens, then we can have at least a reset.

I, personally, would much rather see Lotus use their expertise to make a lightweight, accessible electric sports car.

Yeah, I hope this thing makes Geely(???) enough money to continue to think that Lotus is a good investment going forward, but I would much rather see an "underpowered", light electric sports-car with really good range. Sure, it's fun for about an hour to have absurd off-the line performance, but give me a light, lower-powered true sports car any day. 120hp and about the same torque is plenty of power for a superb, light, nimble-chassis sports car, which would greatly reduce the weight of the electric motors and allow for lighter batteries while still getting superior range I would think.

Yeah, Danoff. I've changed my mind...they do need to market to everyone, and I basically completely disagree with you. They actually should consider non-buyers, 100%. And yes, actually it does have a negative impact on my opinion of Lotus if I'm honest. It makes Lotus less special to me, and just another "chase the hypercar arms race" kind of company.

Back