Major League Baseball: 2023 Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 194 comments
The Houston Astros returned home after their final three-team road trip of the season. Waiting for the Astros were their rivals from up north- the Texas Rangers. The Houston Astros can lead the season series or even tie the Rangers for the AL West lead depending on how many games they win in this upcoming series. A losing series or getting swept is going to hurt the Astros' chances of getting the AL West lead and maybe their AL Wild Card status. So this series is critical for the Astros. Let's see how they fared against their rivals from the Dallas/Fort Worth area...

* TEX Rangers at HOU Astros - 3 games

[GAME 1] When I saw the first score in this one, it was 6-4 in favor of the Rangers. When I saw the game proper, it was a 9-9 tie in the Middle of the 8th. This game seems reminiscent of that slugfest the Astros put on in Arlington when they nearly blown a big lead. With a chance to walk-off the Rangers in the Bottom of the 9th, the Astros came up big on a Yanier Diaz base knock that brought home Kyle Tucker. The Astros win a fierce one by the score of 10-9.

[GAME 2] The Houston Astros scored first in the Bottom of the 2nd after a stolen third base led to an one-run RBI double. The same inning saw Corey Julks saw an almost home run that resulted in a Sacrifice Fly. Houston is up 2-0 after two innings of Game 2. Fast forward to the Middle of the 6th, and it is now 2-1, Astros. Kyle Tucker bombed a solo homer to right in the Bottom of the 6th to extend the Astros' lead to 3-1. It wasn't a powerful hit, but it was just enough to clear the yellow line on the top of the wall. Martin Maldonaldo absolutely smoked one in the Bottom of the 7th to left-center. "The Machete's" bomb put the Astros up 4-1 at that point. Texas got back one of their runs down in the Top of the 8th on a ball hit to left. The Astros' lead is now cut down to 4-2... or was it? Upon further review, the call was OUT on the Rangers, so it remained a 4-1 Astros lead at that point. Mitch Garver gave the Rangers hope in the Top of the 9th by bombing a two-run shot on top of the wall to left-center. The Astros' lead was brought down to 4-3. The Astros, though, shut the door on Texas and move closer to the AL West lead after tonight. It was a 4-3 final in favor of the Astros.

[GAME 3] José Altuve and Yordan Alvarez returned to the lineup for the Houston Astros for this game. However... BREGGY BOMB! "Breegy Bomb" go "boom" as Alex Bregman launched a three-run bomb to left in the Bottom of the 1st to put the Astros up 3-0 early over the Texas Rangers. Kyle Tucker robbed the Rangers of a solo homer in the Top of the 3rd, but he couldn't catch a two-run blast by the Rangers later that inning. So now the Astros saw their lead trimmed to 3-2. A timely hit by Texas gave them the lead in the Top of the 4th. Very next pitch that inning, the Rangers hit a two-run shot to go up 6-3. Framber Valdez was in full meltdown as he left the game later in the Top of the 4th and with six unanswered runs by Texas. Make that seven unanswered now- a solo shot by Sam Huff to make it 7-3, Rangers in the Top of the 5th. Rangers doing everything they can to avert getting swept and have Texas and Houston tied for the AL West lead. It then became eight unanswered runs with an RBI single that same inning, and I stopped watching after Texas went up 8-3. Not even Altuve and Alvarez's returns meant anything to the Astros' hopes of tying the Rangers for the AL West lead. Texas ended up trouncing the Astros 13-5. An Astros sweep would have tied both teams for the AL West lead. Unfortunately, the baseball dieties thought otherwise after Framber Valdez 🤬 the bed and 🤬 up big time later in the game.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (10-9; Houston)
GM2: (4-3; Houston)
GM3: (13-5; Texas)

UP NEXT: vs. TB Rays - 3 games, starting FRI

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 58-45, still behind the Texas Rangers when the Astros could have tied for the AL West lead. Oh, well. Tampa Bay is next for the Astros. The once powerful Rays have stumbled somewhat. Texas handled Tampa Bay nicely; how will the Astros fare against the Rays in Houston? We'll find out this weekend.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! Feel free to share how your favorite teams are doing if you wish.

The Reds still can't figure out the Brew Crew, as Milwaukee continues to dominate them. They were lucky to grab 1 win in the most recent series. And even that game was in limbo as the Reds had a 4-0 lead with 2 outs in the 9th and allowed 3 Brewers to come around to score. I'm just glad they don't see each other again.

I learned it is the top 3 that make up the Wild Card field now. It used to be the top 2. Anyhow, my Houston Astros aren't playing today, so I figured I'd make some assessments.

The 2023 Houston Astros currently sit at 58-45, 2nd in the AL West and 2nd in the AL West Wild Card standings. With a chance to tie the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead, they squandered it last night thanks to shoddy pitching by both Framber Valdez and Seth Martinez. This was en route to a 13-5 thrashing the Rangers put on the Astros last night. There was also a little bench-clearing during last night's Rangers at Astros game. More starting pitching is what fans are clamoring for the Astros to be better and to maybe defend their World Series championship. The Astros need starting pitching and maybe some good left-hand hitters. The Astros have a tough stretch coming up. Here are their next five series: Tampa Bay (3 games), Cleveland (3 games), at New York Yankees (4 games), at Baltimore (3 games), and Los Angeles Angels (3 games). OUCH. This stretch will be tough. Tough, but not impossible. First things first- handle Tampa Bay at home.

If you all wish to assess your team(s), feel free to do so. Tell us how your favorite team(s) is/are doing at present if you insist.

Among the many trades, Max Scherzer was shipped off from the New York Mets to the Texas Rangers. Texas leads the AL West while the NY Mets are fourth in the NL East. The Rangers got just a bit more dangerous with the acquisition of M. Scherzer.

I'll give you my series summary of Rays at Astros once I complete it.

It wasn't in the cards for the Houston Astros to tie the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. Even though the Astros won that series, they couldn't sweep to tie for the AL West lead, even with the return of José Altuve and Yordan Alvarez. Now the Astros have to deal with another powerful team- the Tampa Bay Rays. Hopefully the Astros can keep pace with the Rangers and even keep up their AL Wild Card hopes with this series. Or will they? Let's find out together...

* TB Rays at HOU Astros - 3 games

[GAME 1] It was 3-3 in the Top of the 7th when I first followed this game. Tampa Bay put a three spot in the Top of the 1st, and the Astros had to play catch-up to eventually tie the game at 3-3. A sacifice fly late in the game by Tampa Bay put Tampa Bay back up to 4-3, and the Astros could do no further damage to try to salvage this game. Rays win 4-3.

[GAME 2] This game was on FOX for Saturday night. The table was set by the Houston Astros with a two-run bomb to right-center in the Bottom of the 2nd. The Astros plated three runs on RBIs in the Bottom of the 4th. Three more Astros runs came home in the Bottom of the 5th. It's 8-0 Astros now after five innings. Then, a Home Run Derby ensued. In the Bottom of the 6th, Jose Abreu went yard on a three-run jack to make it an 11-0 Astros lead. In the Top of the 7th, Paredes of Tampa Bay saw two deep shots go foul, but the third time was a charm- a two-run bomb to left to cut the Astros' lead to 11-2. More homers! Jose Altuve (2 run homer), Bregman (2 run homer), and Yordan Alvarez (solo homer) made it a 16-2 Astros lead all in the Bottom of the 7th. Franco went yard on a solo homer to cut Houston's lead to 16-3 in the Top of the 8th. An error by the Rays let an Astro cross home plate with the bases loaded. So it's 17-3 Astros now- a football score. Tampa Bay bombs another one to make bring the lead to 17-4, Astros in the Top of the 9th. No further damage was done by Tampa Bay as the Astros force a Rubber Game tomorrow afternoon. Astros take this game by a 17-4 score.

[GAME 3] I only followed this game from the Bottom of the 8th, and it was 8-2 in favor of the Rays at that point. That would be the final score as the Astros went from hot offense to colder than Antarctica offense in a night-and-day span.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (4-3; Tampa Bay)
GM2: (17-4; Houston)
GM3: (8-2; Tampa Bay)

UP NEXT: vs. CLE Guardians - 3 games, starting MON

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 59-47, still 2nd in the AL West behind the Texas Rangers. If Texas wins at San Diego today, Houston will be down to about 2 games back of the Rangers for the AL West lead. We're tied with Toronto with the same record of 59-47. However, the Toronto Blue Jays have the tie-breaker over the Astros, so the Astros are currently 3rd in the AL Wild Card ranks, three victories better than the (currently) 56-48 Boston Red Sox.

The last part of this homestand is against the 2nd-Place AL Central Cleveland Guardians. A series win here will help Houston before the Astros go on a tough road trip at the Yankees and then at the Orioles.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners!

Trade deadline day has seen Justin Verlander going back to the Astros for Drew Gilbert and Ryan Clifford.

Justin Verlander's career with the Mets:

Im Out GIF

Greetings, GTPlaneteers! As the Trade Deadline has passed, let's look at some standings. Here is how every team is doing as of the time of this post:

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE STANDINGS (as of: August 1, 2023) ---
AL EAST: Baltimore (65-41), TB (65-44), TOR (59-48), BOS (56-50), NYY (55-51)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (54-53), CLE (53-54), DET (47-59), CHW (43-64), KC (32-75)
AL WEST: Texas (60-46), HOU (60-47), LAA (56-51), SEA (55-51), OAK (30-77)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: TB, HOU, and TOR

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE STANDINGS (as of: August 1, 2023) ---
NL EAST: Atlanta, (67-37), PHI (57-49), MIA (57-50), NYM (50-55), WSH (45-62)
NL CENTRAL: Cincinnati (59-49), MIL (57-50), CHC (53-53), PIT (47-58), STL (47-60)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (59-45), SF (58-49), ARI (57-50), SD (52-55), COL (42-64)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: SF, PHI, MIA

Can we all agree the AL East is the most stacked division in Major League Baseball this season? And who would have thought the Baltimore Orioles would have the best record in the AL? Cincinnati leads the wacky NL Central. Aye...

Well, time to get serious, mates. We're coming up on the time where we start discussing Division clinching and magic numbers. It is almost time to look into wondering who all will be part of the 2023 Playoffs in this season being completely different from any other. Unless you're Oakland, Kansas City, Colorado, or Washington; there is still a chance to make some pushes as the regular season nears its sunset. So keep playing hard, keep rooting on your favorite team(s), and maybe get some help from other teams to help yours have better postseason hopes.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Cleveland is all about Defending the Land. Well, the Houston Astros will need to defend THEIR land against the Cleveland Guardians. This is before the Astros embark on a potentially brutal road trip to the Yankees and the Orioles. First things first- handle Cleveland... or try.

* CLE Guardians at HOU Astros - 3 games

[GAME 1] I did not follow the game in any real capacity. Houston ended up winning 7-3. Part of the Houston offense on this night included Yordan Alvarez launching a homer.

[GAME 2] Justin Verlander was traded back to Houston earlier today as the Trade Deadline. That brought a buzz to Houston. The first score of Game 2 was on a softly-hit ball to center in the Bottom of the 3rd by Houston. That bases-loaded RBI brought in two runs to make it a 2-0 advantage for the Astros. This game ends up being a NO HITTER! Framber Valdez becomes the first leftie in Astros history to throw a no-hitter. This is the 16th no-hitter in Astros history. It is also a no-hitter done with fewer than 100 pitches since about 1988 (I think Framber pitched 93). If the "Framchise" didn't allow one walk, this could have been a Perfect Game. Otherwise, the Astros won Game 2 by the score of 2-0.

[GAME 3] When I first saw Game 3, it was 2-2 in the Bottom of the 5th. Chas McCormick bombed one earlier in the game to deep left earlier in the game. He bombed another one to left-center on the very first pitch of the Bottom of the 6th. This put the Astros up 3-2. That would be the final score as the Astros swept the Guardians.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (7-3; Houston)
GM2: (2-0; Houston)
GM3: (3-2; Houston)

UP NEXT: at NYY Yankees - 4 games, starting THU

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 62-47, virtually tied with the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. If the Rangers lose to the Chicago White Sox later tonight, we will have the AL West lead. I mentioned how dangerous the AL East is in a recent post. Well, we got a serious AL East road trip coming up. We got four at the New York Yankees, a day off, and then three at the Baltimore Orioles. I know currently the Yanks are at the bottom of the AL East and the O's leading the AL East, but this is going to be tough for the Astros to try to get a winning road trip. While I am definitely NOT a Yankees fan, I respect the Yankees. At least when we got Justin Verlander back on the night of F. Valdez's no-hitter, the Astros feel like they are a complete team with most everyone back. We'll see if that complete Astros team materializes and make their "Ready 2 Reign" campaign come true.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! How did your team(s) do recently?

Last edited:
A dangerous road trip is coming up as the Houston Astros will take on the American League East. It's the Bronx for four games, and then Baltimore (or "B-More") for three. Just because the New York Yankees are last in the AL East doesn't mean they are sorry. The Astros and Yankees have been long-time rivals. Time to see how this contest shapes out...

* HOU Astros at NYY Yankees - 4 games

[GAME 1] FOX had this game in Prime Time. The New York Yankees hit the ground running with back-to-back jacks in the Bottom of the 1st. The first bomb was a two-run one, and then Giancarlo Stanton hit a solo bomb to let the Bronx Bombers go up 3-0 early. An out was recorded in the Top of the 2nd, but an Astro scored to bring the Yankees' lead down to it a 3-1 Yankees lead. A base hit down the left line ended up bringing in another Astros run. The Yanks' lead is now 3-2 at this point.

[GAME 2] AppleTV+ wanted their greedy hands on this game, so I didn't get to see it. I don't have AppleTV+. The winner by a score of 7-4 was the Houston Astros.

[GAME 3] The highlight of Game 3 was the return of Justin Verlander as a Houston Astro. Since I made lunch for this day game, let's fast forward. It's 2-1, Yankees in the Bottom of the 5th. The Yanks hit a solo homer in that inning to go ahead. The telecast had technical difficulties, so I missed out on a lot of the score afterwards. The Yankees ended up winning 3-1. On a better note, Jose Altuve knocked down his 200th career homer and inches closer towards the 2K hit mark. Sadly, the Astros still failed on this Saturday afternoon.

[GAME 4] The Houston Astros wanted a sweep, but the Yankees wanted a series win. Gleyber Torres brought the crowd in The Bronx to their feet with a solo homer by the Bronx Bombers to right. Yanks up 1-0 in the Bottom of the 1st after that bomb. The Astros responded big time in the Top of the 2nd with a three-run jack to left by Jeremy Peña. 3-1, Astros now. Yordan Alvarez wanted in on the home run fun, and he bombed one to right in the Top of the 3rd. It wasn't a pretty homer, but it cleared the wall to bring home two Astros and make it a 5-1 Astros lead. NYY Pitcher Rodon had to be attended to later in the Top of the 3rd and would leave the game with an injury. Jhony Brito would replace Rodon. A Yankee came home with the bases loaded on an RBI in the Bottom of the 4th. The Yanks' second run scored brought the Astros lead to 5-2. Bases loaded walks that same inning have cut the Astros' lead from 5-2 to a 5-5 tie. Putrid pitching by the Astros brought the Yankees to tie the game; but thankfully for Houston, no further damage. Jake Meyers hit a three-run homer in this game, and he hit another in the 6th inning to break the deadlock. That was followed by a solo homer by Martin Maldonaldo to make it 9-5. An RBI by the Yankees in the Bottom of the 6th cut the Astros' lead to 9-6. The Yankees would score again on another RBI in the Bottom of the 8th to make it 9-7. Despite 12 walks issued by the Astros (including a Timer Violation in the Bottom of the 9th), and even limiting damage with the bases loaded; the Astros somehow survived 9-7 today in The Bronx to split this four-game series.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (4-3; New York Yankees)
GM2: (7-4; Houston)
GM3: (3-1; New York Yankees)
GM4: (9-7; Houston)

UP NEXT: at BAL Orioles - 3 games, starting TUE

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 64-49, still behind the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. Texas keeps on winning, so the Astros still have Wild Card hopes. As of the time of this post, Texas is leading Miami 6-0, so I doubt Houston will gain any ground if this stands. A BIG series is coming up next for Houston- a three-game at the Baltimore Orioles. Unlike previous years, Baltimore is pretty good. Some even believe Baltimore will be the next MLB dynasty once the Astros' run of success ends. The action begins this coming Tuesday.

The Reds have forgotten how to win. Though they won their first game in their latest 4-game series against the Cubs (barely I might add), they got pummeled the rest of the series, giving up 20 and 16 runs in back-to-back games. Then Washington came into town and gave us a nice, ol' sweep. Most of the runs lately have come via the long ball early in games, and then nothing. Dingers are nice and all, but you need to score in other ways, too, and keep the gas pedal down so to speak. I prefer to go back to the previous method of getting on base and being aggressive like they had been doing. Strikeouts and not taking walks hasn't exactly been working.

Cincy is on a 6 game losing streak and now only 4 games over .500 at 59-55. It's been a rough go. Luckily, other than having their way with the Redlegs, Milwaukee hasn't fared that much better since the break and are only 1.5 games ahead with a 60-53 record. The problem is Cincinnati finds themselves locked up with the surging Cubbies who are now also 1.5 games back with their 58-54 record.

Unless they get their crap sorted out soon, this season will be over prematurely. Getting guys back from the IL should hopefully help. India has been shelved with a foot issue, and Fraley has been unavailable the past few days for reasons unknown. With that said, Hunter Greene is scheduled to be back soon, having made a rehab start in Louisville last night(?), along with Tejay Antone who hasn't seen the field since last year. Antone can really help bolster the overworked bullpen.

Try to figure out what warranted Baltimore Orioles' play-by-play announcer, Kevin Brown, to be recently suspended for comments like he made here...

I fail to find anything really hateful or suspicious about this or anything warranting a suspension. Speaking of the Orioles, I'll have my Astros at Orioles summary once this critical series concludes.

Try to figure out what warranted Baltimore Orioles' play-by-play announcer, Kevin Brown, to be recently suspended for comments like he made here...

I fail to find anything really hateful or suspicious about this or anything warranting a suspension. Speaking of the Orioles, I'll have my Astros at Orioles summary once this critical series concludes.

Supposedly, and this is only what I've seen rumbling on Reddit and whatnot, but Kevin Brown was suspended because John Angelos didn't like the comments about how bad the Orioles have been against the Rays. I would like to think the CEO of an MLB team wouldn't be so thin skinned that they'd do this, but unless there was some other underlying issue I don't know what else it could be.

As the Houston Astros visited the White House recently, the Baltimore Orioles await the Houston Astros. This time, though, the O's are very good. The Orioles have the best record in the American League. Some even think they'll be the next dynasty once this Golden Era of Astros baseball winds down. Astros got to make a statement with this series. Did they? Let's find out together...

* HOU Astros at BAL Orioles - 3 games

[GAME 1] It got ugly early for Houston in Game 1. Framber Valdez gives up a 2-run bomb to left in the Bottom of the 1st for the O's to go up 2-0. An attempt to throw out an Oriole in the Bottom of the 2nd failed after a groundout failed, so that's now a 3-0 lead for Baltimore. Another two-run jack scored for Baltimore in the Bottom of the 2nd made it a 5-0 Orioles lead. Remember that Framber Valdez came off of a no-hitter in his last start. Rather than concede defeat and get ready for Game 2, Houston did something about it. A base hit by Houston in the Top of the 3rd brought home one Astro for a 5-1 score. Then later in the same inning, a sacrifice fly cut the O's lead to 5-2. Baltimore, meanwhile hit a sacrifice fly to make it a 6-2 lead for Baltimore. A late RBI by Houston in the Top of the 8th cut the O's lead to 6-3. In the Top of the 9th... GRAND SLAM! Kyle Tucker bombs a Grand Slam to right to give the Astros their first lead- 7-6. Even if the Astros were to lose this game, at least "King Tuck" gave the Astros hope. This game ended by that same score- 7-6. Astros rallied from behind to win and win awesomely. WOW!

[GAME 2] Kyle Tucker was last night's hero with his go-ahead Grand Slam. Tonight, he picked up where he left off by hitting a two-run jack in the Top in the 1st to almost the same place as last night's Grand Slam, scoring José Altuve. Astros up early in this one 2-0. An RBI by the Astros brought home José Abreu when he could have stopped at 3rd Base. Still, Houston took a 3-0 lead. The Baltimore faithful finally had something to cheer about when Baltimore bombed a two-run homer to right in the Bottom of the 4th to cut the Astros' lead down to 3-2. José Altuve bangs in two RBIs with the bases loaded and two outs in the Top of the 8th for a 5-2 Astros lead. Alex Bregman brought in two more Astros in the same situation. Now 7-2, Astros. Jeremy Peña puts in an RBI in the Top of the 9th to put the Astros up 8-2. That was the final- 8-2, Astros. And with the Texas Rangers losing 2-0 at the Oakland Athletics, the Astros inch a bit closer in the AL West standings. If the Astros win on Thursday afternoon, they can inch even closer since the Rangers do not play on Thursday.

[GAME 3] I didn't get to see today's game. It ended up being a 5-4 victory for the Orioles. Houston still nets themselves a winning road trip despite this loss.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (7-6; Houston)
GM2: (8-2; Houston)
GM3: (5-4; Baltimore)

UP NEXT: vs. LAA Angels - 3 games, starting FRI

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 66-50, still behind the 68-47 Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. Texas keeps on winning, so the Astros still have Wild Card hopes. We're still 2nd in the AL Wild Card ranks behind Tampa Bay (69-47) and ahead of Toronto (65-52). Remember- if the Astros and Blue Jays are tied in the Wild Card standings, Toronto has the tie breaker. Meanwhile, my Astros will be back home this weekend for one series as we host the now 4th Place AL West Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! Hopefully your teams are doing well.

The Reds are in another funk. That's all I've got to say about that.

Congrats to former Red Michael Lorenzen on pitching a no hitter yesterday. He was well liked in Cincy.

The Houston Astros returned home after a winning road trip. However, this home series is a quick three-game series before going back out on the road again. This is Hall of Fame weekend for the Astros with this series. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim held on to Shohei Ohtani and are trying to make a postseason push. Did LAA make the right call and did good on their run? Let's see with the next series.

NOTE: We will not be facing Shohei Ohtani as a pitcher in this series.

* LAA Angels at HOU Astros - 3 games

[GAME 1] Justin Verlander started his 500th career game on this night. When I first saw this game, it was 10-3, Astros in the Middle of the 6th. Usually, the Astros have a tendency to fail their next game when they score 10 or more runs in the previous game. José Altuve delivered a bases loaded RBI in the Bottom of the 8th to make it an 11-3 Astros lead. Justin Verlander knocks down his 251st win in his career. Jon Singleton mashed two homers in this game taking over for Corey Julks, who was sent down to AAA. Prior to tonight, he did not hit a homer in the Major Leagues since 2015. Final score: 11-3, Astros.

[GAME 2] This game was on FOX in Prime Time. The Houston Astros struck first in Game 2 in the Bottom of the 4th on an RBI followed by a three-run Kyle Tucker bomb to right. It was 4-0, Astros at that point, but the Angels responded in the Top of the 5th with an RBI. So make that a 4-1 Astros lead. A bases loaded RBI single brought home one run in the Bottom of the 5th, and then a deep RBI double brought home two more Astros. The 5th inning ended with the Astros leading 7-1. A Sacrifice Fly in the Top of the 6th let an Angel score. The Halos were still facing a 7-2 deficit at this point. Timely hits by the Astros in the Bottom of the 8th brought home a number of Astros. It was a chain of an RBI single, RBI single, and an RBI double to make it an 11-2 Houston lead. The Angels bang in a solo homer in the Top of the 9th to cut the Astros' lead to 11-3.

[GAME 3] The score was 2-1, Angels, in the middle of the 7th when I first followed this game. The Angels would leave Houston avoid getting swept as the Astros couldn't find any magic to sweep this series. Shohei Ohtani finally snapped his streak of games without a home run with his solo jack in this game. Astros fail 2-1 to the Angels today.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (11-3; Houston)
GM2: (11-3; Houston)
GM3: (2-1; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)

UP NEXT: MIA Marlins - 3 games, starting MON

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 68-50, still behind the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. Texas keeps on winning, so the Astros still have Wild Card hopes. Well, after a brief home stand, we're on a quick road trip. So my Astros will pay a visit to Omnis's Miami Marlins, as we take our talents to Miami (so to speak). The Marlins are pretty good. They're 3rd currently in the NL East. Also, the Astros will meet former Astro, Yuli Gurriel. This should be a competitive series coming up for Houston.

Elsewhere...

* It was pretty sad seeing a doubleheader thrashing when the Braves beat the Mets 21-3 in Doubleheader Game 1 on Saturday, then 6-0 in Doubleheader Game 2. So basically, outscored 27-3 all of Saturday. That's a football score. Ouch.

Three nights in Miami. Sounds like a fun time, eh? Well, not for the Houston Astros. They'll meet one of their former NL foes back when the Astros were in the National League. A couple of two-time World Series Champions will clash in Miami. The Astros will also meet Yuli Gurriel in a different uniform. It's my Astros against Omnis' Miami Marlins in a GTPlanet inner-forum Interleague rivalry. Let's get it.

* HOU Astros at MIA Marlins - 3 games

[GAME 1] I only saw most of the 2nd inning. This game ended in a 5-1 victory for the Miami Marlins. The Rangers won at home over the Angels 12-0, so the gap in the AL West is increased between Texas and Houston. Yay...

[GAME 2] Christian Javier (HOU) matched up against the fun-to-watch Johnny Cueto (MIA) on the mound tonight. Miami struck first in Game 2 on an RBI to center in the Bottom of the 2nd. It's 1-0 early for the Miami Marlins. The Marlins had three straight jacks to sink the Astros in Game 1. This time, they bomb a two-run jack to right to go up 3-0 in the Bottom of the 3rd. Yainer Diaz launched a two-run bomb to left in the Top of the 4th to cut Miami's lead to 3-2. Miami added to their lead in the Bottom of the 4th with a base knock to right. Miami now leads 4-2. Later in the game, it was 5-5 in the Bottom of the 6th. Kyle Tucker hammers a solo jack to finally give the Astros their first lead- 6-5. That would be the final score to force a Rubber Game tomorrow night.

[GAME 3] The Rubber Game saw Justin Verlander take the mound for Houston. It was an early home-run party for the Astros to start the game. Alex delivered a "Breggy Bomb" to left, then Kyle Tucker made it back-to-back jacks delivering one to right, and later Chas McCormick bombed one to center. It was a 4-0 Astros lead followed by an RBI by Mauricio Dubon. So 5-0 cushion early for Justin Verlander. If you remember, Miami hit consecutive homers to sink the Astros in Game 1. Maybe the Astros wanted to return the favor with these early bombs. Miami responds with a two-RBI double in the Bottom of the 1st to cut the Astros lead to 5-2. With the bases loaded and one out, the Astros brought home a run in the Top of the 3rd. Astros now up 6-2 after that. Fast-forward, and now it's 12-5, Astros after seven innings. The final score was just that- 12-5, Astros.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (5-1; Miami)
GM2: (6-5; Houston)
GM3: (12-5; Houston)

UP NEXT: vs. SEA Mariners - 3 games, starting FRI

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 72-49, still behind the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead by 2.5 games. Texas keeps on winning, so the Astros still have Wild Card hopes. The Astros will return home and take on Seattle next. The Mariners are feisty and fierce. There is a cushion between Houston and Seattle in the AL West standings, but the Astros can't take the Mariners lightly. They need to hold down the Mariners while putting pressure on the Texas Rangers. So we'll see what happens when the Astros take the ballpark next time.

I only want to focus on the division leaders and Wild Card races for this post. So here you go:

--- CURRENT DIVISION LEADERS (as of: August 18, 2023) ---
AL EAST: Baltimore (74-47)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (63-59)
AL WEST: Texas (72-49)
NL EAST: Atlanta (78-42)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee (65-57)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (74-46)

--- WILD CARD RACE ---
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: TB (73-50), HOU (70-52), TOR (67-55)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: PHI (66-55), SF (64-57), CHC (62-58)

When I checked the extra standings, the Miami Marlins and the Cincinnati Reds are tied for 4th in the NL Wild Card race, each with the record of 63-59. Somebody woke up the Chicago Cubs lately.

I'll have my summary of the Seattle Mariners at the Houston Astros once it is completed. Otherwise, enjoy this weekend's action!

I have a few musings for you in this post.

* There is a possibility the New York Yankees may finish with a losing record for the first time since 1992. The 27-time Champions Yanks are dead last in the AL East currently with a record of 60-63, 15.5 games back of the AL East leading Baltimore Orioles. The Yanks are in a series hosting their rivals, the 65-58 Boston Red Sox. In case you're wondering, the fewest wins by the Yankees in any season was 50 set by the 1912 New York Yankees.

* The last time neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees missed the playoffs was in 2014. Boston is 4th in the AL East while the Yankees are last in the AL East. Boston is 5th in the AL Wild Card ranks, and the New York Yankees are 7th in the AL Wild Card ranks.

* The team with the worst record in baseball is the Oakland Athletics at 34-88. They are the only team that doesn't have 40 or more wins on the season. Second-worst record goes to the 40-85 Kansas City Royals. Third-worst record is the 47-75 Colorado Rockies.

Once the Mariners at Astros series is done, I'll have my series summary. Be sure to share your own summaries if you like.

Sleepless in... Houston? The Seattle Mariners can make a possible case for an AL Wild Card berth. The Astros want to deny that opportunity for Seattle. Did they make it happen? This summary tells all.

* SEA Mariners at HOU Astros - 3 games

[GAME 1] When I first followed this game, it was 2-0, Seattle in the Top of the 7th. That was the final score- 2-0. José Altuve moved a little closer to 2K hits in his career, knocking in one tonight to get to 1,998 hits in his career. Kyle Tucker was not in the lineup tonight. The offense went south without Kyle Tucker, methinks.

[GAME 2] Seattle wasted no time scoring first. The Mariners jumped out to a 1-0 lead on an RBI with nobody out in the Top of the 1st. Another RBI landed for Seattle in the Top of the 2nd to make it 2-0, Seattle. Seattle then drove in two RBIs in the Top of the 3rd to make it a 4-0 lead for the Mariners. Houston finally got on the scoreboard thanks to a solo homer to left by Alex Bregman in the Bottom of the 3rd. Yainer Diaz bombed one to left to bring the lead to 4-2. Seattle went ahead further on a two-run bomb to right to make it 6-2 in the Top of the 5th. Then later, Framber Valdez hit a Mariner on a pitch that got the benches going. Maybe this scuffle is that spark the Astros need to toughen up and try to win this game. Jose Altuve hit a milestone in the Bottom of the 5th- 2,000 hits! Unfortunately, he was out trying to get a double. He became the 296th player all-time to 2K hits and the 7th active one to do so. He is also the third Astro all-time to collect 2K hits (Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell the others, and C. Biggio has over 3K hits). Once the Mariners hit a deep RBI to bring in two runs in the Top of the 8th, I stopped watching. It seemed like the Astros cared more about José Altuve getting 2K hits than try to win when the Rangers lost earlier today. Final score of Game 2: 10-3, Mariners.

[GAME 3] The first time I followed this game, it was 7-6, Seattle in the Bottom of the 8th. Seattle made a statement, sweeping Houston in H-Town by that same score in Game 3- 7-6.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (2-0; Seattle)
GM2: (10-3; Seattle)
GM3: (7-6; Seattle)

UP NEXT: vs. BOS Red Sox - 4 games, starting MON

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 70-55, still behind the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. Seattle is now in the AL Wild Card picture, but we're still ahead by one game in the AL Wild Card ranks. Up next is a four-game series against Boston here in Houston. The Astros got to re-take control and try not to miss the playoffs entirely. Meanwhile, we're stuck on 70 wins and probably the Rangers winning the AL West.

Last edited:
Can you believe the New York Yankees have lost nine straight games? They haven't lost nine straight games since 1982. If they lose tonight hosting the Yankees, it will be the first time the Yankees have lost 10 or more games in a row since 1913. The Yankees lost 11 in a row back in 1913. Wow. Not very Yankee-like...

Ohtani pulled with an elbow injury and the Angels immediately come out and say he has a UCL tear. Poor guy. It's like they want to publicize his injury for free agency leverage.

Martin Maldonaldo called getting swept by the Seattle Mariners recently as a "slap in the face" in a players-only meeting. The fact the Astros got swept followed by Texas getting swept by the Brewers only infuriates the Astros. They know they could have gained ground. Now the Astros are seeing red; but not just red in anger- the Red Sox. So... you mean to tell me the Astros never faced the Red Sox until now? Well, let's get to meet the Red Sox. Let's rock.

* BOS Red Sox at HOU Astros - 4 games

[GAME 1] When I first followed this game, it was 7-4, Astros; Top of the 8th with one out. Houston wore their lovely "Space City" City Connect uniforms on this night. Chas McCormick bombed two jacks in this one, the latest of which a solo homer to left in the Bottom of the 8th. Astros now doubling up Boston 8-4. Yainer Diaz went yard on a solo shot to right; and even if the Red Sox player didn't stumble running, he probably wouldn't have a chance to rob that homer. So it's 9-4, Astros on back-to-back jacks. The Astros won by that same score- 9-4. Apparently, the Astros rallied from a 3-0 deficit to win. That's more like it after getting swept by the dangerous Seattle Mariners.

[GAME 2] It was 2-0, Houston Astros when I followed this game in the Top of the 3rd. Kyle Tucker bombed a two-run jack to right in the Bottom of the 1st to make that happen. A sacrifice bunt by Martin Maldonaldo dribbled near the 1st base line and remained fair, and it was enough to bring home an Astro to make it a 3-0 Astros lead in the Bottom of the 4th. An RBI double in the Bottom of the 7th brought home an Astro. An ensuing error advanced some Astros a base as the game is now 4-0, Astros. One umpire thought an Astro going to home was out, but he was overturned, so the Astros now lead 5-0 on an RBI single the same inning. More Bottom of the 7th magic happened as Jon Singleton's RBI double brought home two Astros to make it a 7-0 Astros lead. Touchdown Astros! The shutout was denied thanks to a solo bomb to left by Boston's Adam Duvall in the Top of the 8th. The Astros lead trimmed to 7-1. Boston shown some extra fight by driving in two late runs in the Top of the 9th to cut the Astros' lead to 7-3. That, however, was all the Red Sox could muster as the Astros take Game 2 by the score of 7-3.

[GAME 3] The Houston Astros have a chance to tie the Texas Rangers tonight for the AL West lead. They have never led the division all 2023 MLB season. No Yordan Alvarez in the lineup for this one. Kyle Tucker didn't bang one out of the park, but he did make a sacrifice fly to bring home José Altuve in the Bottom of the 1st. Martin Maldonaldo hit a left-center bomb to bring home two Astros in the Bottom of the 2nd. "The Machete" extended the Astros' lead to 3-0. Boston responded in the Top of the 3rd with a deep RBI to left to bring home a Red Sox. Alex Verdugo, who was ejected in Game 2, hit the RBI double to bring the Astros lead down to 3-1. Another Red Sox player came home on an RBI in the same inning. So it's 3-2, Astros now as Boston tried to close the gap. Jose Abreu bangs in an RBI in the Bottom of the 3rd to extend the Astros' lead to 4-2. The Red Sox brought in a run on an RBI in the Top of the 5th. It's a one-run game as Houston's lead is now 4-3. Boston would later tie the game at 4-4 later in the Bottom of the 5th on a groundout RBI. This game would end up going to Extra Innings. Boston may have just about sealed it in the Top of the 10th with a three-run homer. Boston takes their first lead of the game, 7-4. Houston is 1-7 this season in extra inning games. The Astros banged in one RBI with the bases loaded to cut Boston's lead to 7-5 in the Bottom of the 10th. All Houston could muster was one run in Extras. Boston prevents Houston from tying Texas in the AL West by shutting the door on them late.

[GAME 4] When I saw this game for the first time, it was the Top of the 8th with the Red Sox leading 11-1. Utter shame. This turned out to be an absolutely embarrassing Thursday afternoon. The Red Sox brought home another run on an RBI in the Top of the 8th. Boston will more than likely leave Houston splitting unless an epic collapse happens. After the Red Sox brought home more runs on RBIs that same inning, followed by the Astros unable to catch sharply-hit balls; I stopped watching and caring about this game. Screw it, it's over. Final score: 17-1, Boston. Texas and Seattle both better lose to make Astros' fans feel better about this rough ride they took today.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (9-4; Houston)
GM2: (7-3; Houston)
GM3: (7-5, 10 innings; Boston)
GM4: (17-1; Boston)

UP NEXT: at DET Tigers - 3 games, starting FRI

After the living nightmare that was Game 4 of this series, the 2023 Houston Astros are now 72-57, seemingly stuck on being behind the Texas Rangers for the AL West lead. The Astros and Rangers have the same number of wins as of this time of this post. However, the Astros have 56 losses compared to the Rangers losing 54 games. So once again, we're stuck in 2nd while Seattle is idle on this Thursday. Seattle is now in the AL Wild Card picture, and they now leap frogged the Astros for 2nd in the AL Wild Card race. We're now holding the final AL Wild Card spot right now over 4th-place Toronto. Up next is a three-game series at the Detroit Tigers followed by a three-game set at the Boston Red Sox. The Astros got to re-take control and try not to miss the playoffs entirely. with over a full month of baseball remaining.

Ohtani pulled with an elbow injury and the Angels immediately come out and say he has a UCL tear. Poor guy. It's like they want to publicize his injury for free agency leverage.
Interesting. The injury happened in the first game of a doubleheader. He had already been pulled by the time I got home to watch. They said at the time it was arm fatigue. I assumed he was fine, though, because he played in the nightcap and even smacked a double.

In any case, the Reds took care of business with a sweep of them. Unfortunately, overall they aren't reeling in the Brew Crew right now. Instead they are smack dab in a crazy NL Wildcard brawl.

It's probably to the surprise of no one, but the Oakland Athletics have been officially eliminated from the 2023 postseason. The A's are 38-92 as of the time of this post. It's probably likely the Kansas City Royals (currently 41-90) and the Colorado Rockies (currently 48-81) will join the eliminated team list as the regular season winds down.

Squandered opportunities and offensive ineptitude have hampered the 2023 Houston Astros all season. They know time is running out to try to defend their World Series crown. They are well aware it is now or never. Detroit and Boston will not make life easier for the Astros right now, so they will have to play with some killer instinct. The Houston Astros will try to tame the Detroit Tigers. Detroit, meanwhile, want to go platinum against the Astros. Oh, and this is an inner-forum rivalry between myself and my good mate Joey D.

* HOU Astros at DET Tigers - 3 games

[GAME 1] The Houston Astros got on the board first on an EBI single by José Altuve in the Top of the 3rd. Houston up 1-0 here. I did not get to see the rest of the game, but four unanswered runs sank the Astros to bring them to three straight losses. Detroit wins 4-1 in Game 1. Apparently, when I saw the ESPN Bottom Line report, the Astros had a no-hitter going, and then they lost on a walk-off homer. As kids would say today, "sadge."

[GAME 2] After getting walked off last night, the Houston Astros didn't screw around to an early 1-0 lead in the Top of the 1st on an RBI double. It took Detroit until the Bottom of the 4th to score. They tied the game at 1-1 on an RBI. Did you hear that? It's... a BREGGY BOMB! Alex Bregman went yard launching a two-run bomb to left in the Top of the 5th to put Houston up 3-1. Once Detroit changed pitchers in the same inning, Houston brought in another run on an RBI. Houston now leads 4-1. Make that 4-2 in the Bottom of the 5th on a sacrifice fly by Detroit. An RBI double by the Astros in the Top of the 6th brought home José Altuve. The score is now 5-2, Astros. Yordan Alvarez pounds in an RBI to make it a 6-2 Astros lead in that same inning. The Astros brought home some more runs on RBIs in the Top of the 8th. The Top of the 8th ended with a 9-2 Astros lead. The Bottom of the 9th flew by so quickly, but in the end, the Astros tamed the Tigers 9-2 on Saturday night.

[GAME 3] The Rubber Game of this series saw a 3-0 Astros lead in the Bottom of the 5th when I first followed the game. Former Detroit Tiger, Justin Verlander, was pitching for the Astros in this one. Solid batting helped the Astros land an RBI in the Top of the 7th. Astros now lead 4-0. Jeremy Peña grounded into a double play that same inning, but he drove in an unearned run. Five runs now for the Astros as they now lead 5-0. Mauricio Dubon got just enough of a pitch that it left the yard. So it's now a touchdown lead (extra point pending) for the Astros at 6-0, after Dubon jacks one to left. Martin Maldonaldo made it back-to-back jacks as he bombed one to deep left. The Astros added another run to their side of the scoreboard on an RBI single. Astros going platinum in MoTown today, now up 8-0. Jeremy Pena drove in three runs with the bases loaded in the Top of the 8th on an RBI. The Astros led 11-0 after that. Now 12-0 after another hit lands for the Astros the same inning. More damage done- a two-run jack to left puts Houston up 14-0. This game is basically target practice for Houston. Detroit averted a shutout as Miguel Cabrera bombed a three-run homer in the Bottom of the 8th. The Astros loaded the bases again in the Top of the 9th, and Corey Julks drove in a run to make it 15-3, Astros. The Astros logged 25 hits in this game, and hit no. 25 was a ground-ruled double to deep right to make it 17-3. Their 25 hits ties their franchise record for most hits in a game. Detroit slammed another homer into the beautiful blue skies in Detroit to cut the Astros lead to 17-4. The Astros take this series despite the late offense by the Tigers. Houston leaves Detroit with a 17-4 victory in Game 3.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (4-1; Detroit)
GM2: (9-2; Houston)
GM3: (17-4; Houston)

UP NEXT: at BOS Red Sox - 3 games, starting MON

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 74-58, now 3rd in the AL West behind new leader Seattle (74-56) and now 2nd-place Texas (73-57). The Astros have one more win than the Rangers, but then the Astros have one more loss than the Rangers. Houston is now 3rd in the AL Wild Card ranks with Tampa Bay (80-52) and Texas (73-57) ahead of the Astros. Up next is a three-game series at the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox split the series in Houston the last time Houston and Boston met. Now, we deal with the Red Sox and the Green Monster at historic Fenway Park. The Astros got to re-take control and try not to miss the playoffs entirely with over a full month of baseball remaining.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! Let us know how your favorite teams are doing.

The Red Sox want to play hardball against the Astros again. This time, in THEIR house. The two teams split their four-game set in Houston. It is now a three-game set. Win the series or lose the series. PLAY BALL!

* HOU Astros at BOS Red Sox - 3 games

[GAME 1] It was 2-1, Boston in the Top of the 3rd when I first followed the game. As soon as I watched, though, Yordan Alvarez banged in an RBI single that brought home José Altuve. Tied at 2-2 now. I didn't catch the rest of the game, but the final score ended up as 13-5, Houston. José Altuve hit for the cycle in this game, the first time an Astro has done this since 2013 (Brandon Barnes vs. Mariners on July 19, 2013), and also the first-ever hit-for-the-cycle feat in Altuve's career.

[GAME 2] After a long time away from injury, Michael Brantley returned to the Astros lineup to play his first game since June 26, 2022. There was fog all night long. Alex Bregman put the Houston Astros up early with a solo bomb to the Green Monster in left. It's 1-0 early, H-Town. It was back-to-back jacks as Yordan Alvarez bombed one to deep right, just inside of the right foul pole. Now 2-0, Astros. An error by the Astros ended up scoring a Red Sox run in the Bottom of the 3rd. The Astros lead went from 2-0 to 2-1 after that error. Fast forward to about the Bottom of the 6th, and it is now a 5-2 lead for the Houston Astros. A groundout was recorded in the Top of the 7th, but an Astro made it home with the bases loaded to make it a 6-2 Astros lead. It started to rain lightly in the Bottom of the 9th. A late threat by the Red Sox was averted as they won 6-2 in Game 2.

[GAME 3] The Houston Astros struck first as a groundout brought home an Astro in the Top of the 2nd. Jeremy Peña scored another Astros' run the same inning with an RBI single. Astros up 2-0. Make it a three-spot now as Martin Maldonaldo drove in an RBI to make it 3-0, Astros. With the bases loaded in the Top of the 3rd, Chas McCormick grounded out, but a run crossed home plate for a 4-0 Astros lead. More RBIs for the Astros- now 6-0 on a sweet two-run RBI by the returning Michael Brantley. That latest RBI was enough to knock Crawford out of the game pitching for Boston. Alex Bregman didn't blast one over the Green Monster in the Top of the 4th, but he did drive in another Astros run. So it's 7-0 Astros now. The Astros' possible no-hitter was denied in the Bottom of the 4th, as the Red Sox dropped in their first hit of the game. Boston finally scored in the Bottom of the 6th by hanging a four-spot on Houston with a series of RBIs. That Astros' lead went from 7-0 to 7-4 after six innings. That was the final- 7-4. Houston sweeps Boston in their house.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (13-5; Houston)
GM2: (6-2; Houston)
GM3: (7-4; Houston)

UP NEXT: vs. NYY Yankees - 3 games, starting FRI

Okay... the AL West is tricky right now. The 2023 Houston Astros are now 77-58, now tied with Seattle (76-57) for the AL West lead. As of the time of this post, Seattle came from behind to win at Oakland, and Texas currently trails 3-0 at the New York Mets in the Bottom of the 3rd. If Texas loses tonight, we will be tied or 2nd in the AL West. So up next after a day off is hosting the last place AL East New York Yankees for a three-game weekend set. All the Astros can do at this point is take care of the remaining teams from now until the regular season finale at Arizona. I hesitated to post the latest summary because I wanted a clearer picture of what the standings are like after we did our business.

Elsewhere...

* The Kansas City Royals have officially been eliminated from postseason contention. The currently 41-94 Royals join the currently 39-95 Oakland Athletics as teams officially eliminated from the 2023 postseason. No National League teams have officially been eliminated yet. However, the team with the worst record in the NL is the Colorado Rockies at 49-84.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! Let us know how your favorite teams are doing.

[UPDATE] Updated records for OAK, KC, and COL.

Last edited:
It's crunch time. Time for a Standings Update as the 2023 MLB season winds down. Here goes...

(source: ESPN)

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE STANDINGS (as of: September 1, 2023) ---
AL EAST: Baltimore (83-50), TB (82-52), TOR (73-61), BOS (69-65), NYY (65-69)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (69-65), CLE (64-70), DET (60-74), CHW (53-81), KC (41-94)
AL WEST: Seattle (76-57), HOU (77-58), TEX (75-58), LAA (64-70), OAK (39-95)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: TB, HOU, TEX

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE STANDINGS (as of: September 1, 2023) ---
NL EAST: Atlanta (88-45), PHI (74-59), MIA (67-67), WSH (62-73), NYM (61-73)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee (74-59), CHC (72-62), CIN (69-67), PIT (61-73), STL (58-76)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (83-50), SF (70-64), ARI (69-65), SD (62-73), COL (49-84)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: PHI, CHC, SF

Teams will fill in Playoff spots, and various other teams will see their 2023 campaign end. Oakland and Kansas City have already been eliminated with more to follow. Keep playing hard to make the postseason if your team still has a chance!

The Houston Astros are back home, but for one series only before heading back out on the road. Who's that team in Houston? Let's see... blue and white, pinstripes... the New York Yankees? That's right, mates. The Yanks are going to get some Southern hospitality.

* NYY Yankees at HOU Astros - 3 games

[GAME 1] The score was 6-2, Yankees in the Bottom of the 6th when I first followed this game. The Astros shown very little fight trying to keep pace. They ended up seeing their five-game winning streak snapped disappointingly. Yanks win 6-2.

[GAME 2] The New York Yankees delivered first on a bases loaded RBI in the Top of the 2nd. They went up 1-0 early. NYY would later bring in a run on a bases loaded walk the same inning. The Houston Astros rocked a two-run jack to right to tie the game at 2-2. First pitch of the Top of the 3rd was a "See Ya!" (to quote Michael Kay) by the Yankees to go ahead 3-2. Yainer Diaz blasts a deep shot in the Bottom of the 4th for Houston to go up 4-3. The Yanks tied the game in the Top of the 5th on a bases loaded sacrifice fly. That tie became a Yankees' lead on a base hit. Yankees up 5-4 now. From getting hot to going cold, Astros lose another one. It's a depressing 5-4 defeat the Astros took on this Saturday night.

[GAME 3] Game 3 was shown on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. I had to go to a family gathering, so I missed some of the early action. The Houston Astros led 1-0 in the Bottom of the 2nd when I first saw this game. There wasn't any scoring again until the Top of the 6th, with the Yankees scoring an RBI. We were tied at 1-1 with that score by the Yanks. They'd follow that up with a two-run bomb to left to go up 3-1. The Yanks hit a solo jack to left-center to go up 4-1 in the Top of the 9th, and I stopped watching. Basically six unanswered runs.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (6-2; New York Yankees)
GM2: (5-4; New York Yankees)
GM3: (6-1; New York Yankees)

UP NEXT: at TEX Rangers - 3 games, starting MON

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 77-61 on the season. Texas won on Sunday, and Seattle lost on Sunday. So the Astros are in 3rd Place after getting swept by the Yankees. If the Astros fail to win their next series at the Texas Rangers, the Astros' recent run of success may come to an end and may not make it to the 2023 Playoffs. If getting swept by Seattle was a "slap in the face," getting swept by the Yankees must feel like getting low blown. Damn shame.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! How are your favorite teams doing?

The Lone Star Series plays itself again with the two Texas MLB teams. The Houston Astros have had their fair share of inept offense and injuries. The Texas Rangers have feasted on the Astros' woes. As this critical stretch run is soon to commence, it's time for these two rivals to clash again this regular season.

* HOU Astros at TEX Rangers - 3 games

[GAME 1] The scoring started with a two-run bomb by the Rangers in the Bottom of the first. An RBI by the Rangers in the Bottom of the 3rd puts the Rangers up 3-0. The Astros finally scored in the Top of the 5th on an RBI by Jeremy Peña. Alex Bregman brought in two runs on a based loaded RBI in the Top of the 5th to level the game at 3-3. The lead didn't last long after Corey Seager bombed another homer on the Astros. It was the Rangers re-taking the lead at 4-3 after this solo jack to left-center. Mauricio Dubon and José Altuve went on back-to-back jacks to finally put the Astros up 5-4 in the Top of the 6th. That lead was short-lived as Texas banged in another run on a solo homer in the Bottom of the 6th. Rangers tie it at 5-5. Then... the bottom fell out for the Rangers. A bases-loaded walk with nobody out in the Top of the 7th leads to the Astros up 6-5. Later in the inning, The Astros went up 8-5 on an error that same inning. Houston will take it! Yanier Diaz blows this one open with a three-run jack to left to put Houston up 11-5. This game is NUTS as the Astros just went Beast Mode putting a six-spot on the Rangers in the Top of the 7th! Back-to-back jacks happened AGAIN for the Astros in this game. Mauricio Dubon (first multi-HR game of his career) followed by José Altuve were basically the exclamation points of this wrecking. Astros went up 13-5 after Altuve's bomb. Texas hit a solo bomb to right that seemed more like a consolation prize in the Bottom of the 9th. Astros lead is now down to 13-6. Ryne Stanek suffered an injury trying to get a batter out at first base (which he failed to do so). The Astros ended up winning this one 13-6. And... we won the Silver Boot for 2023!

[GAME 2] Nathan Eovaldi was returning from injury and will oppose Framber Valdez. The plan was for Nathan Eovaldi to go about three or four innings. The Texas Rangers got rocked to start the game. Three runs on four hits put the Astros up 3-0 early. One of those hits was a José Altuve leadoff homer to left. No lead is safe as last night shown us. That is... unless you smash the other team late like the Astros did in their victory yesterday. Jose Altuve did it again- another deep bomb in this game! Houston goes up 4-0 after Altuve's 2nd jack of the night in the Top of the 2nd. José Abreu knocked in a base hit that brought home two Astros with the bases loaded that same inning. TOUCHDOWN Astros- 6-0 score for Houston! Instead of an extra point, they get a two-point conversion in the Top of the 3rd with a two-run jack to left from Martin Maldonaldo. It's 8-0, Astros after "The Machete's" bomb. José Altuve now has hit four homers in a row after he blasted one to center. It is his second-ever three home-run game in his career. Now the Astros are up 9-0. I was NOT expecting this performance this early! Texas finally scored in the Bottom of the 5th with an RBI. A deep RBI by the Honduran Hammer (Mauricio Dubon) drove in another Astros run in the Top of the 7th. Make that 10-1, Astros. Martin Maldonaldo blasted his second homer of the game in that same inning to go up 12-1. Yordan Alvarez blasts one out of the park to right-center to make it 14-1 that same inning. This nightmare for the Texas Rangers finally came to an end as the Astros annihilated the Rangers 14-1. Oh, and did I mention we took 1st Place in the AL West for the first time this season as Dolph Drago's Cincinnati Reds downed the Seattle Mariners for two straight games?

[GAME 3] Justin Verlander pitched for the Houston Astros, and he was opposed by Max Scherzer for the Texas Rangers. They were teammates on the New York Mets, now rival pitchers for their respective tams. The Houston Astros put in two runs to start the Top of the 1st off of a Yordan Alvarez homer to left-center; then, the Rangers responded with a solo homer in the Bottom of the 1st. So we got a 2-1 score with the Astros ahead. The Houston Astros saw Michael Brantley jack one to right to put Houston up 3-1 in the Top of the 2nd. With the bases loaded in the Top of the 3rd Jose Abreu bombs a Grand Slam to left to clear the bases. This put Houston up 7-1 on José Abreu's first Grand Slam as an Astro (5th Grand Slam of his career). Michael Brantley hit a sacrifice fly which brought home an Astro in the Top of the 5th. Houston now leads 8-1. A base knock by the Rangers in the Bottom of the 5th trimmed the Astros' lead down to 8-2. Kendall Graveman entered the game as the Astros pitcher in the Bottom of the 8th, and he gives up a solo homer on just two pitches. The Astros' lead was cut down to 8-3 at that moment. José Abreu hit a laser line drive homer to deep left. It wasn't the prettiest homer, but it did drive in three Astros to make it an 11-3 lead to Houston. Chas McCormick wanted in on the home run fun, so Chas took Brock Burke deep with a homer of his own. The Astros won 12-3 and sweep the Rangers making a serious statement.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (13-6; Houston)
GM2: (14-1; Houston)
GM3: (12-3; Houston)

UP NEXT: vs. SD Padres - 3 games, starting FRI

The 2023 Houston Astros are now 80-61 on the season. As of the time of this post, Houston maintains a 1-game lead over Seattle in the AL West standings. The Houston Astros launched 16(?) homers in this series. That is the most home runs hit by Houston in any three-game series in franchise history. The most runs scored by Houston in a three-game series all-time is 40. The Astros became the fourth-ever MLB team to hit 5+ homers in three straight games (others: NY Yankees 2020, NY Yankees 2019, BOS Red Sox 1977). Suffice to say, the Astros made a statement in this series. This is the Astros team a lot of people were anticipating this season. They went from inept offense and injuries to hammering a contender in just one series. Maybe the Astros didn't take too kindly to getting swept by the Yankees at home and took their frustrations out on the Texas Rangers. I don't know to describe this series except... damn!

The Astros will take Thursday off and welcome the San Diego Padres for their next series.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and game winners! How are your favorite teams doing?

Back