Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
Kinda unfair though. Especially when people like me like to play by the game is meant to be programmed ends up fighting against a lot of fire hoppers and have no chance of winning and if I was playing with an unintentionally made advantage, I'd lose all the joy (though not as worse as snaking). It also makes the vehicles unbalanced with Bikes unable to do them.

I just drift waaaaaay too much to care about something like Fire-hopping, that's where my weakness is for sure.

I just drift waaaaaay too much to care about something like Fire-hopping, that's where my weakness is for sure.
I also found another weakness of your TT which I was able to beat using Waluigi. Didn't like the handling though so I'll try Luigi when you beat my time.

I also found another weakness of your TT which I was able to beat using Waluigi. Didn't like the handling though so I'll try Luigi when you beat my time.
If it's the Rainbow Road time it was really just a quick go to get it done, I'll find some time(probably not any time soon since I'm volunteering at the commonwealth games) to do TTs again.

My driving style is not for TTs at all, now that I race online I'm very much defensive on the track now.

Mine was pretty much a quick warm-up time too. I love using the Cruiser Characters (Waluigi, Roy, Rosalina, DK) but only when they are on a Bike.

I'm mainly still a catch-up driver and I keep doing overlap challenges (where you start the race overlapped). So I got to be very fast around each corner, so I am pretty used to the TT thing and idea.

I think fire-hopping dulled the online experience for me. After the mayhem that items provide, fire-hopping makes it that much harder to have any hope of catching the front-runners, particularly when the rest of the pack spends so much time beating each other up. It widened the chasm between a good finish and poor finish, yet it won't save you from getting screwed because Mario Kart.

Since the announcement of Forza Horizon 2, I've been playing FH1 whenever I sit down for a racing game. I figure the online environment in MK8 will mellow a bit once the most-intense players burn out.

I think fire-hopping dulled the online experience for me. After the mayhem that items provide, fire-hopping makes it that much harder to have any hope of catching the front-runners, particularly when the rest of the pack spends so much time beating each other up. It widened the chasm between a good finish and poor finish, yet it won't save you from getting screwed because Mario Kart.

Since the announcement of Forza Horizon 2, I've been playing FH1 whenever I sit down for a racing game. I figure the online environment in MK8 will mellow a bit once the most-intense players burn out.
I was wondering where you disappeared off to @Wolfe , as great as MK is as a game, it really does become tedious if you don't fall into the category of 'hell bent on winning no matter what' or 'I'm just having care-free fun'.

For instance, now that my VR is 6134, I'm always in very experienced rooms where people spam Rosalina, fire hopping and the Sport Bike, it's just really boring and it does my head in. If it weren't for the fact that I do have a group of racers to go around with, I'd probably be slowing down playing it as my 'go to' game. Like I've said above, I have a very distinct playing style, and it's always been the case with any game, I won't change that because that allows me to have fun. I get no joy out of constantly re-starting and starting in regard to offline and online I'd get no fun out of using OP heavy weights or whatever. I never feel good using them and it feels hollow.

It was the same in WipEout, I actually favored the 'noob' ship because it allowed me to play the way I wanted, I still took that noob ship to multiple top 10s and few top 5s in the world because I was that dedicated to working with my style. But MK8 just doesn't allow for that, and I know why it doesn't, so I'm not necessarily complaining about it. To sum up, I've seen myself do 750 lap sessions in WipEout to set a time in a ship I'm not abusing for stats, but I know when I'm on a wild goose chase trying to style in a Pipe frame, azure roller Daisy kart.

Agreed. Forza Horizon is also very special to me, so it's been a good opportunity to find the motivation to polish off 1000 Club and wrap up the game 100% before FH2 arrives (on my birthday; what are the odds). I didn't expect to get one more chance with that franchise before it sails off into XBone-exclusive waters.

I was wondering where you disappeared off to @Wolfe , as great as MK is as a game, it really does become tedious if you don't fall into the category of 'hell bent on winning no matter what' or 'I'm just having care-free fun'.

For instance, now that my VR is 6134, I'm always in very experienced rooms where people spam Rosalina, fire hopping and the Sport Bike, it's just really boring and it does my head in. If it weren't for the fact that I do have a group of racers to go around with, I'd probably be slowing down playing it as my 'go to' game. Like I've said above, I have a very distinct playing style, and it's always been the case with any game, I won't change that because that allows me to have fun. I get no joy out of constantly re-starting and starting in regard to offline and online I'd get no fun out of using OP heavy weights or whatever. I never feel good using them and it feels hollow.

It was the same in WipEout, I actually favored the 'noob' ship because it allowed me to play the way I wanted, I still took that noob ship to multiple top 10s and few top 5s in the world because I was that dedicated to working with my style. But MK8 just doesn't allow for that, and I know why it doesn't, so I'm not necessarily complaining about it. To sum up, I've seen myself do 750 lap sessions in WipEout to set a time in a ship I'm not abusing for stats, but I know when I'm on a wild goose chase trying to style in a Pipe frame, azure roller Daisy kart.
I agree. The same applies with the competitive battlers in Pokemon X and Y. I get real tired of their constant switching Pokemon and using OP Pokemon. I tried it myself but didn't enjoy it.

The "tedious" part of the game never effects me because I just make up a career mode using my imagination. Mario Tennis Open has lasted me so long because of it and I'm working for one in MK8. Likely have a kinda GT style career but instead of buying cars you buy Kart parts to customize with each part having certain level of speed which can apply to the race (example If I use a very very low level Kart in a high level event, I'll add the difficulty to hard and put it on 50cc to show my Karts slow speed).

That does sound like fun. Luckily, unlike popular belief I have a ton of games to choose from on my Wii U when I do get a bit ticked off with Mario Kart. It's still a phenomenal game, and the complaints we are musing about are clearly because we care about the series, but only in our head can we imagine a perfectly balanced kart racer. That being said, the new item system is basically a LOL to anyone who expected MK8 to fix the item woes. The Super Horn in my favorite, in online events, they are usually handed out in bulk. So, if you get one there's at least 3 others that get it.

Apparently the item system is now determined on your situation and not your place (except if you are in 1st).

During my overlap challenges, all I get are Queen Mushrooms and Bullet Bills but if I am in last and in a pack; I get worse items like Triple Green Shells or a Mushroom.

This happened when me and my brother play alot. If he gets close to me in 2nd he gets items like I get (Coins, Banannas and Shells) but if he is way behind he can get Triple Mushrooms (especially when he is in a group with other racers), Triple Red Shells, Crazy Eight and even a BLUE SHELL!!!

Apparently the item system is now determined on your situation and not your place (except if you are in 1st).

During my overlap challenges, all I get are Queen Mushrooms and Bullet Bills but if I am in last and in a pack; I get worse items like Triple Green Shells or a Mushroom.

This happened when me and my brother play alot. If he gets close to me in 2nd he gets items like I get (Coins, Banannas and Shells) but if he is way behind he can get Triple Mushrooms (especially when he is in a group with other racers), Triple Red Shells, Crazy Eight and even a BLUE SHELL!!!
The item system could use some work for sure. I like the idea of situational based items, but you should not be able to predict what somebody behind you will get because of the item you have got. For instance, if you are first and get a coin in lap 2 or 3, 9/10 times the person behind will get a red shell. It's just frustrating that by staying first you are practically digging your own grave, in the other Mario Karts if you got in front you could hold it and even if you lost it, win it back. But if you get lost in the pack, it's basically race over.

I really like the direction the item system but yeah it needs some work. I do like however when you are way behind someone there is still a chance to win instead of relying on Blue Shells.

Though I disagree with you on the old MK item system. Some games made it work others didn't. MKWii was a disaster with the constant Blue Shells and MK64 items were pointless in single player with the 🤬 A.I.

I should have probably specified the games I meant, MKDS and 7 are the most prominent examples. It's good to be able to win without blue shells but in my opinion, it's so much a non-problem in MK8 that red shells are 100x worse. It's the predictability that kills it, so to be honest they haven't really solved the issue, just switched the culprit.

True but the item I really hate and find way worse is the Fire Flower. The item while rare always sends me back all the way to the back with its Spamming.

Oh, the fire flower is an absolute 🤬. Whoever thought it should ricochet off walls is a evil genius.

Oh, the fire flower is an absolute 🤬. Whoever thought it should ricochet off walls is a evil genius.
Have you tried Bananas only racing. The amount of Bananas on the track is ridiculous (but so much fun).

Last night my wife and I played a private lobby with another couple we know IRL, in Quebec, using the same voice chat (on a laptop) we use to play Guild Wars 2. That was a lot of fun, like the good old days of MK64. I didn't know you fill out the grid with AI; now the friends lobby is much more appealing.

Still kinda wish you can choose which characters the A.I are and what vehicle customization they use. Also the amount of A.I. in the race.

Found out from somebody today that the max VR is only 9999 this time around. Looks like playing by myself online wont be fun for much longer if I reach it soon.

Well by judging on what type of people you are facing (Rosalina, Bike Hopping spammers). I don't think we want know what is at 9999 VR :scared:.

1407304851-1.jpg 1407304850-4.jpg

I'm now pretty excited to drive these cars.

I do hope someday they sign a deal with a Bike manufacturer and put their Bikes in the game :). My Yoshi wants some new Bikes.

Last edited:
Okay. The GLA was just kinda neato, but to include the W25 and 300SL is wicked awesome. :lol:

This apparently includes an update with the following:
  • Map display on the TV screen!!
  • Improved online stability
  • Default post-race menu selection will be "Next Race"
  • Last used kart customization will be saved
  • Ability to edit other users' MKTV highlights
  • Records screen with total coins collected, online win-loss record, character usage %
Wow, go Nintendo! 👍

Last edited:
Great stuff :). Though I am used to not seeing the map on the TV (Though this is needed for Battle Mode BADLY).

Though the idea that you can edit other peoples MKTV highlights is a bit worrying.

Okay, who's expecting to get really into this again because of stat tracking? :lol: So hype.

Okay. The GLA was just kinda neato, but to include the W25 and 300SL is wicked awesome. :lol:

This apparently includes an update with the following:
  • Map display on the TV screen!!
  • Improved online stability
  • Default post-race menu selection will be "Next Race"
  • Last used kart customization will be saved
  • Ability to edit other users' MKTV highlights
  • Records screen with total coins collected, online win-loss record, character usage %
Wow, go Nintendo! 👍
Map display on the screen? YESSS!!!!!

Back