Meeting with Kazanori Yamauchi him self

• Thread starter super_fla
  • 291 comments
Great stuff from you super_fla, and my greatest thanks for No Mercy Event - the best thing that happend to GT5:P so far. See you on the Suzuka these days đź‘Ť

I gotta admit the right man got the gig. I'm sure if I'd have been interviewing KY the transcript would be a tech nerd failfest about how they did the netcode and what challenges did multithread cell architecture throw up with this version of the franchise

:lol::lol:

super_fla thankyou very much on sharing your experiance with us all here, from me a huge đź‘Ť cheers mate..
gundalini

đź‘Ť

Thanks for the excellent write-up super_fla, for asking all the right questions, and for bringing us the current "No Mercy Match" (though I'm not sure I like the name of this event :lol:).

No mention was made of a new track being released for Prologue, I understand?

i dont buy the story about manufacturers not allowing their car to be damaged.... look at (forgive me) Forza... it has both ferrari and porshce and incluldes damage on all cars.

And is the damage realistic? Not in the slightest. Have you ever seen a street Ferrari in any sim racing game that was able to be damaged in a realistic manor? No. They have never allowed it. Forza got by because the damage was only cosmetic, scratches and bumpers coming off etc. PD wants more realistic damage and its a totally different story. Ferrari are nuts when it comes to their image, they want to control everything.

I remember reading in EDGE about the development of the new outrun game. Ferrari made the developers jump through so many hoops and even the slightest change to the game often requires re approval by Ferrari.

But thats enough of that. Back to being ever so jealous of super_fla...

0,,6321672,00.jpg

I doubt ferrari would allow this (as this is what you call realistic damage). The damage in ferrari challenge even is shocking . 200km/h smash and all you do is lose a bumper and bonnet and crack the windscreen.

Damage, is it really important? to me the culprit of all these heavily request is comes from US gamers after playing FPS đź‘Ž..btw congrats Superfla :)..hmm just want to know is it GT5 comes with rain/wet race/ weather changing features?

To me, damage is important. For the game to be a true simulator it must be accounted for. I'm not sure I follow you on the FPS reference and how that relates to GT5p, but then again I rarely play FPS games.

To me, damage is important. For the game to be a true simulator it must be accounted for.

Damage is something I'm on the fence about to be honest. Okay so it's not a 100% realistic simulation but where do you draw the line? 100% realistic and I'd actually be dead by now after some of the crashes I've been in.

So we want to see the cars coming apart? Fine - it'll look awesome on the replays but put it in perspective - all it means is "Game Over" and that's the key word right there - "Game" The fact that I've crashed into a wall at 150mph can either mean I have to twiddle my thumbs for the next 10 mins and start again or drag my ass back on the track and try and drive around the track for the rest of the race, maybe getting in a tussle with some back markers.

In my opinion bulletproof cars vs destructibles is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Same with RBE.

The one thing I would like to see changed, tho, is the physics clamp that stops the cars rolling over on their roofs. That one does impact the level of simulation.

In my opinion bulletproof cars vs destructibles is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.
It's not a matter of choosing between the two. Between the two options you mention there are several variations possible. It doesn't mean cars have to be fully destructible or fully indestructible.

It's not a matter of choosing between the two. Between the two options you mention there are several variations possible. It doesn't mean cars have to be fully destructible or fully indestructible.

Are you talking about things like tyre wear and blowing the gearbox or suspension snapping kind of things that would make your car go slower?

If it's the former I'd be into it but the latter would just mean you'd end up crawling round the track with a knackered car. I'm not sure how much more I'd enjoy my gaming experience if that happened to me.

Well, in most pc sims you can actually choose what kind of damage you would like on or off. So you can turn off visual damage if it annoys you. Same for mechanical damage.

edit, ^ yeah beat me to it on turning it on/off :P

I know of the TOCA games, if not all, have the suspension/gearbox/body damage etc. One of the events I remember was to win or finish a race starting out with a bad gearbox (something like that).

The funny thing is that GT2 did have damage. It was visible but it did change the way the car handled. I think most of the people turned it off becasue all it basically did was make the car pull one way or the other. I think when damage is in GT it will be an option too. If it takes away from the fun (Hey why would we spend so much of our time playing something that wasn't fun?) then we can turn it off.

I agree with you on where do you draw the line. I guess it's just something I've been hoping for since after GT3. I'm very happy with the new physics and handling in gt5p. I went back and played GT4 for a bit (damn addictive photo mode lol) and it was like, wtf these physics suck.

Yeah, just by the fact that Ferrari won't allow PD to damage their cars tells us that PD is doing something on a whole new level. I don't think it's just money. And I get excited about it; it's very hard to imagine damage in GT, the real damage. It must be an 'Oh Snap!' thing.
But at the end, it seems like GT doesn't need damage. It's better without it. It could slightly ruin the game.

But at the end, it seems like GT doesn't need damage. It's better without it. It could slightly ruin the game.

+1 đź‘Ť

Anytime I see people complaining about lack of damage I think to myself "careful what you wish for..."

GT is the "Real Driving Simulator" Damage will turn it onto the "Real sitting at the side of the road for 10 mins watching smoke pissing out your bonnet simulator"

I can't help thinking I'd enjoy that experience less

+1 đź‘Ť

Anytime I see people complaining about lack of damage I think to myself "careful what you wish for..."

GT is the "Real Driving Simulator" Damage will turn it onto the "Real sitting at the side of the road for 10 mins watching smoke pissing out your bonnet simulator"

:lol: As long as we have the option to turn damage, on/off, we should be ok.

+1 đź‘Ť

LOL :lol: that made me laugh so much, yeah Im not sure id enjoy been pit manuvered into 130r smacking the wall, and then noticing that my whole right front suspension has collapsed and the car wont move an inch because the rear wheels gone speeding off down the track. still great interview and a valuable insight into the development of GT5 :)

+1 đź‘Ť

I kinda feel that same way. I'm willing to bet those same people will through the remote down if that happens. I hate being wrecked on other racing games so I know it'll absolutely kill me if someone decides to knock fenders with me into the Casio triangle, sending me off into the barrier with my entire Right front suspension gone.

Last edited:
In a race of clean, fast drivers, the thought of causing an accident and the consequences would make the game more exciting for me. I don't want damage to see how well it is done or watch a car fall to pieces after a crash (although that would be nice novelty, initially). It's about the immersion factor, and the realism to an extent. I'd be more immersed in the game if I knew I could accidentally damage my own or others' cars.

I'd also rather cars could be rolled / flipped but I think that some manufacturer(s) also prevent this in the same way that damage could be damaging to the image of the manufacturer / brand.

EDIT: Just read through my post - it sounds like I am a wrecker, which I'd like to put straight that I'm definitely not.

I kinda feel that same way. I'm willing to bet those same people will through the remote down if that happens. I hate being wrecked on other racing games so I know it'll absolutely kill me if someone decides to knock fenders with me into the Casio triangle, sending me off into the barrier with my entire Right front suspension gone.

On a related side note - I've noticed a whole hell of a lot more quitters, giving up and parking at the side of the track now that PD has given us "No Mercy" mode.

I don't want to be the one to say "I told you so" but, well ... I did tell you so :sly:

On a related side note - I've noticed a whole hell of a lot more quitters, giving up and parking at the side of the track now that PD has given us "No Mercy" mode.

I don't want to be the one to say "I told you so" but, well ... I did tell you so :sly:

I heard alot about that in the race chat. What is it?

That's my point tho. Other than competitions to see who could demolish a car in the coolest way, ala Burnout, when would you want to turn it on?
Because some people would prefer to do so just because they like it better that way? So you don't like it, fine, turn it off or join only rooms having it disabled. For people who do like it, turn it on or join rooms that do have it enabled. I can certainly see this as an interesting feature in endurance races. Would I always use it? Probably not.

Me : what about the damage feature ? how far is it?

K.Y :thats also coming. the negotiations are taking place already. the only problem is that some manufacturer like porsche (NOTICE HE SAID PORSCHE, DOES THAT MEAN SOMTHING ALREADY HAPPINING) say's its ok to crash and total our cars we have no problem, and other manufacturer like Ferrari say's : we won't allow you to show some damage on our cars even if its the side view mirror damage .

Hey look the same retarded excuse they've been repeating like a mantra since forever (whilst other developers whose games include those same brands he's blabbing about have implemented damage ages ago), how surprising. I'm actually wondering why he didn't mention PS<insertnumberhere> limitations as well too this time around.

What a friggin failure of a software house, I'm just glad Sony have finally jumped the shark big time and can't rely on something like Microsoft endless funds to keep their company afloat without repercussions; since their gaming department has been bleeding money like there's no tomorrow for quite some time now PD is very likely to sink along with them in the near future.

Last edited:
C.D

K.Y :thats also coming. the negotiations are taking place already. the only problem is that some manufacturer like porsche (NOTICE HE SAID PORSCHE, DOES THAT MEAN SOMTHING ALREADY HAPPINING) say's its ok to crash and total our cars we have no problem, and other manufacturer like Ferrari say's : we won't allow you to show some damage on our cars even if its the side view mirror damage .

Hey look the same retarded excuse they've been repeating like a mantra since forever (whilst other developers whose games include those same brands he's blabbing about have implemented damage ages ago), how surprising. I'm actually wondering why he didn't mention PS<insertnumberhere> limitations as well too this time around.

What a friggin failure of a software house, I'm just glad Sony have finally jumped the shark big time and can't rely on something like Microsoft endless funds to keep their company afloat without repercussions; since their gaming department has been bleeding money like there's no tomorrow for quite some time now PD is very likely to sink along with them in the near future.

Yep, they're a huge failure due to other companies' restrictive natures. They should just quit right now while they're ahead.

C.D

Ever stopped to think about the situation from another perspective? Maybe PD can do full, dynamic damage and have it working in-house but certain car manufacturers will not allow damage to be depicted in a detailed manor, or in a less detailed manor like some other games you have implied. That's how it is. PD don't want to do lame damage but they are having a hard time getting all the manufacturers to agree to realistic damage, or any damage whatsoever.

PD are hardly a failure of a software house. Was it 50 millions copies of GT sold world-wide?

Last edited:
Well the reason I would like to see damage is mainly because it gets people to drive more careful. Drive over the limit, and you'll be in the wall. Or if two people are racing hard in front and spin, and end up collecting you in the wreck, it's a whole lot more interesting to watch when there are parts flying everywhere. Just think if that happened in real life, where a car slams into the side of someone and nothing happens. There would be no drama.

Sure if may take you out of the race....but that's how real racing is. Every time a driver in real life gets onto the track, they run that risk. Sometimes you may crash, and other times you may not...and that's what makes it exciting in my opinion. Especially if there are options...such as turning on or off visual, mechanical, or both, or none. Should be interesting how PD decides to implement it. I understand that it's just a game, and sometimes if there is too much realism, then not many would play. But if they implement anything in that regard I would be happy.

Back