Motegi is Coming Back to Gran Turismo, Says Super GT Driver

• Thread starter Famine
  • 125 comments
I just find it pretty boring to drive, just a succession of short straight / 90 degree corner or hairpin. Personally prefer something like Sugo with a bit more flow.
That’s going to be the consensus if the track returns. “Motegi are a bunch of U-turns with not much to do and look at.”

As for Sugo, Gran Turismo players that never experienced it in any other racing game will be in for a shock. The first third of the circuit is tight, curb heavy and off-camber. It’s amazing modern Super GT cars still race there. Just look at the attitude of the Group A cars.

Last year’s Super GT event

Motegi by comaparison would make for a good Sport Mode circuit. It’s wide enough for players to have room for side by side racing and passing. Much better than Suzuka and similar to Fuji.

I love the circuit.

That’s going to be the consensus if the track returns. “Motegi are a bunch of U-turns with not much to do and look at.”
Yet everyone, and their dog, and the dog's pet hamster loves Dragon Trail Seaside which is flat out through the gears into into a left-right chicane, flat out through the gears into a right hand hairpin, repeat twice more and start a new lap. Motegi is technical as heck when compared to it.

Yet everyone, and their dog, and the dog's pet hamster loves Dragon Trail Seaside which is flat out through the gears into into a left-right chicane, flat out through the gears into a right hand hairpin, repeat twice more and start a new lap. Motegi is technical as heck when compared to it.
That’s where Motegi has to be seen as a classic real word Japanese circuit players can experience. Love or hate.

I can't see any reason not to like Motegi to be honest. The only bad part is the first and second corner combination of the full track and even it isn't that bad as they aren't constant radius but actually pretty hard to get just right. The middle part has some of the best mid speed sweepers in the entire history of GT.

For the record, I'm one of those very few that actually strongly dislike DT Seaside for just the reasons mentioned. Gardens is way better and indeed has some resemblance to Motegi as mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, what’s everyone’s issue with this track? It’s always been one of my faves. I’m really looking forward to it.
Agreed. It’s also not far from Tokyo and Honda’s home circuit, with a heritage museum showcasing most of their road and race cars. It’s a great track in the game and in real life. There was no racing on when I visited but I could tell they have great spectator spots. Spectating a Super GT race there is now a bucket list item for me.

Last edited:
Motegi East - different pit lane, and skipping out the main pit straight, first turn, and second straight - is an excellent track.
Had some cool races in lobbies at the East Course.

When I used the DTM 190 E, I’d treat the West Short Course like the Norisring. West Course is nothing to write home about, but it was the closest I could get to that circuit in GT.

I don't think it's quite the same reasons though. The real life track I would compare Seaside to is Istanbul Park, in that there's one very unique corner/complex that draws all the attention and praise (Chicane of Death, Turn 8), and nobody really considers all the other sectors of the track much either way.

Not my favorite track but at least its something. And I much prefer a real track than a fictional one, only because most of the time I don't think the fictional ones are good..

Sugo would be rad. Motegi feels pretty flat to me but I bet competitive Sport players will like it. Motegi East, if thats the one I'm thinking of, is decent since it removes most of those long, flat straights.

Edit: As usual, a depressing reminder of a car somehow missing: 360 Challenge :(

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to Motegi's return, hopefully it can take one of the few spots left in GT7s update schedule, assuming two tracks per year... let's play, Guess That Roadmap!

June 2024: Eiger Nordwand
November 2024: Mobility Resort Motegi
June 2025: Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
November 2025: Apricot Hill

I don't think it's quite the same reasons though. The real life track I would compare Seaside to is Istanbul Park, in that there's one very unique corner/complex that draws all the attention and praise (Chicane of Death, Turn 8), and nobody really considers all the other sectors of the track much either way.
I kind of agree, the Death Chicane gets all the attention. I like DT Seaside. It's easy to understand (straight, tight turns, straight, hairpin x3), kind of hard to master, has a good flow and requires nerves of steel at one point. It drives well, maybe better in reverse.

I gotta drive Motegi in GT6 to get an idea of it. I never really raced on it enough in any of the games it appeared.

we have played those tracks back in the series.
i get bored playing from those same tracks. please bring new circuits.

it is better to get new tracks; such as imola, monaco circuit, dubai autodrome, istanbul park, okayama circuit, circuit of the americas and many more great tracks which i can not recall now.

we have played those tracks back in the series.
i get bored playing from those same tracks. please bring new circuits.

it is better to get new tracks; such as imola, monaco circuit, dubai autodrome, istanbul park, okayama circuit, circuit of the americas and many more great tracks which i can not recall now.
Monaco wouldn't be totally "new", but keep in mind Kaz wants those of us that played the old games to allow new players to experience the first time we played Gran Turismo games(he referred moreso about licence tests). Still, we have got many new circuits added to the franchise.

Thing is with adding Motegi in GT7, I'm feeling it will look better than in GT6. I didn't like the light transition in GT6. Made the circuit look way too fake(the circuit looked awesome in GT4). There's also a high chance Motegi will have dynamic weather as most Asia circuits in the game have wet weather. This is all if we see Motegi in GT7.

Monaco is the worst circuit in Europe.
Motegi is great, love it, really looking forward to it. But also agree that Sugo would be even more ideal, love that track.
I think the environment of Motegi is kinda boring and kinda comparable to Autopolis or Fuji. Sugo has verticality, forests, trees, man, what a track.

I also have Okoyama higher in regard but again, really happy to see this new track.

Last edited:
Monaco is only good for the history sake otherwise racing there is bad
Monaco in small road cars could be a hoot. Anything larger than a hatchback is gonna run into similar problems as F1. Too wide for the circuit. I’d still love to see it, though. Despite the racing not being very good, I do really like the track.

Last edited:
While I agree about the racing in Monaco I'd still want the track back just for the unique setting and the possibility to drive it in VR.

Must be ****ing spectacular.

Unlike Motegi ;)

Personally, I'll take any real track at this point. Monaco is a rough and tough track. I'm into it.

Motegi are great tracks. While I'm very much in favour of additional tracks over cars, I would almost be suprised if Honda's Collection Hall wasn't raided for artifacts on the same visit. The Motul Civic is still there.

I genuinely thought it was Steve Brown (@_SuperGT) when read the title of the news 😅
Anyhow, hope it's true, we need more real world circuits and this one it's amazing!!

Motegi is pretty cool, Monaco no thanks.
I don't really understand the point with this track when we lack Silverstone, Motegi or original tracks like Apricot Hill or Autumn Ring.

I think the environment of Motegi is kinda boring and kinda comparable to Autopolis or Fuji. Sugo has verticality, forests, trees, man, what a track.
I’m quite sure that Autopolis offers more verticality than Sugo, if not the same amount. The second half of Autopolis is almost exclusively comprised of steep inclines.

I’m quite sure that Autopolis offers more verticality than Sugo, if not the same amount. The second half of Autopolis is almost exclusively comprised of steep inclines.
I was talking more about the sightseeing around the track. Motegi hasn't got a lot of nice views when doing a onboard lap.

Always a good news if a new real world track comes to GT7. But I'm still hoping for other real world tracks (Silverstone, Indianapolis... maybe some new to the series tracks, like Sebring, Imola, Mugello, Paul Ricard, Zolder, Brno, etc.) and even for some fan-favourites fantasy tracks (Midfield, Apricot Hill, etc.).

But at this point I don't think we'll get so much content, in terms of tracks, sadly. I hope I'm wrong obviously.

Back