MotoGP 2010 Thread

• Thread starter Neal
  • 389 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spies. C'mon Spies. :dopey:

Seriously though, I hope it's a good battle, and could really care less who wins.
Such champions on the track make it all worth watching.
Anybody know what time they'll be racing or approximately?

From what I can tell you guys, there has been some heavy rain here usually in the evening and I'm expecting a wet qualifying and race like last year.

I was just reading a story about that and going to make a bad joke about it being hot and wet...

I was just reading a story about that and going to make a bad joke about it being hot and wet...

I read one of the comment in there saying ''If there is a serious accident due to the inevitable* rain, then the owners and organisers of the gp need to* be prosecuted and the date taken off the calendar -* permanently!''...

I think it's rather idiotic. I mean usually, if there is very rain and by that I mean is really heavy the race should be stopped right away by the decision of the stewards (not the organisers) right? And the one that approves the time of race, date etc. are all the FIM (in which I think if FIM think it's not safe then they shouldn't approve this) and this person pouring all the fault on the circuit owner and the organisers is rather idiotic in my point of view (obviously on Rossi's side).

What do you guys think?

The comment you have quoted is seriously idiotic. I understand Rossi wanting the race to be held before it is likely to rain but it can't due to the F1, besides he is legendary in the wet so he'll probably dust (or spray) everyone.

If it is likely to rain then it'll be declared a wet race so that if it does start to rain the riders can come into the pits to change to their spare bike with wet tyres. Only if it is raining very heavy and there is standing water will the race be stopped. If it doesn't get declared a wet race and it starts to rain then it'll be stopped and restarted as a wet race.

Also if it is raining heavily before the start of the race the riders themselves can decide not to race after holding a meeting.

Rain is more of an issue with a night race under flood lights as visibility is severely effected.

The comment you have quoted is seriously idiotic. I understand Rossi wanting the race to be held before it is likely to rain but it can't due to the F1, besides he is legendary in the wet so he'll probably dust (or spray) everyone.

If it is likely to rain then it'll be declared a wet race so that if it does start to rain the riders can come into the pits to change to their spare bike with wet tyres. Only if it is raining very heavy and there is standing water will the race be stopped. If it doesn't get declared a wet race and it starts to rain then it'll be stopped and restarted as a wet race.

Also if it is raining heavily before the start of the race the riders themselves can decide not to race after holding a meeting.

Rain is more of an issue with a night race under flood lights as visibility is severely effected.

I completely agree with your comment there mate! I still remember being there last year, watching Rossi catching up the pack and pass his own team mate after running wide at turn one. I can understand that he's worried about safety but we all just want to be fair to F1 and MotoGP (Rossi needs to be a spectator only then he understands this)....

True! This is also the case in Formula 1 where the meeting is held around 30 minutes before the start of the race. The only option to satisfy everyone is to change the date, no clash with Formula 1 and the race held 2 hours earlier. Sounds more than fair enough but there needs to be a talk between the organisers and the FIM...

Yeah it's more like F1 drivers worried about having to race in wet condition in Singapore under the flood lights.

Quali results:

1 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 309.2 2'01.537
2 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati 306.6 2'01.637 0.100 / 0.100
3 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 310.3 2'01.829 0.292 / 0.192
4 11 Ben SPIES USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 304.5 2'01.993 0.456 / 0.164
5 27 Casey STONER AUS Ducati Team Ducati 309.1 2'02.023 0.486 / 0.030
6 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 306.6 2'02.030 0.493 / 0.007
7 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 308.8 2'02.097 0.560 / 0.067
8 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 308.1 2'02.394 0.857 / 0.297
9 65 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 310.1 2'02.522 0.985 / 0.128
10 33 Marco MELANDRI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 309.6 2'02.624 1.087 / 0.102
11 58 Marco SIMONCELLI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 304.7 2'02.690 1.153 / 0.066
12 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 306.6 2'02.723 1.186 / 0.033
13 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 305.4 2'02.775 1.238 / 0.052
14 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN Interwetten Honda MotoGP Honda 308.8 2'02.778 1.241 / 0.003
15 40 Hector BARBERA SPA Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati 311.1 2'02.928 1.391 / 0.150
16 36 Mika KALLIO FIN Pramac Racing Team Ducati 308.0 2'04.167 2.630 / 1.239

Not what i expected really,but the race is tomorrow and Lorenzo will be champion....but,am hoping to see a good fight at the top of the field...let see on motoring Sunday...

spy.

Lorenzo's final quarter of his lap was staggering, he absolutely flew round the last hairpin so pending an error or bike failure the title is his tomorrow. I hope he does do it and gets on the podium to get it out of the way and let him lift the trophy in front of everyone.

Spies and Hayden have both done really well but Rossi didn't really do as well as I was expecting but I'm not writing him off just yet.

The last couple of months have been a bit dull in MotoGP but I've regained my excitement recently. Hopefully it'll stay like that for the rest of the season :)

Rossi didn't really do as well as I was expecting but I'm not writing him off just yet.

Never...

Its just simply incredible.. 11th after the first 2 turns...

Granted lorenzo wasnt pushing really hard but still.

Congrats on Lorenzo, proving that in order to finish first, first you have to finish. Ifs, buts, maybes never count.

But credit to Rossi, in arguably one of his worst years, missing 4 races he is still 3rd in the championship, bring on next year!

Never...

Congrats on Lorenzo, proving that in order to finish first, first you have to finish. Ifs, buts, maybes never count.

But credit to Rossi, in arguably one of his worst years, missing 4 races he is still 3rd in the championship, bring on next year!

^^ Well said 👍

never...

Congrats on lorenzo, proving that in order to finish first, first you have to finish. Ifs, buts, maybes never count.

But credit to rossi, in arguably one of his worst years, missing 4 races he is still 3rd in the championship, bring on next year!

+2

Yeah great show again by Rossi...absolutaly fantastic 👍👍👍

Congrats to Lorenzo,well done this year,but am very surprised if he can do the same again next year or after when Rossi , Stoner and Pedrosa are back to their "normal" selves...

Anyway,i enjoyed last week and todays race very much and can't wait for next weekend!!!...

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Rossi :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

spy.

Wow, amazing race. Good to see the top flight series having great battles all through the field.

It's brilliant to see Rossi showing everyone who's boss again, it's been for too long but it was obvious he had a point to prove today and was fit enough to do it. It's easy to take it for granted that he can come from 11th and lead the race but to do it by half distance really is quite amazing. He's got a good chance of finishing 2nd in the championship although a lot depends on Pedrosa.

Great rides from Dovi and Spies but the man of the day has to be Lorenzo. He's shown a lot of maturity this year which I didn't know he had and this is one of the main reasons why he's world champion. As Small Fryz said you need to finish to win it and Lorenzo kept it rubber side down when it mattered, sure Rossi was unlucky with his shoulder and leg but I don't think Lorenzo has been gifted it.

The last few races should be blinders now that the season has mostly been decided and with all the moves next year is shaping up to be pretty interesting.

EDIT: First post updated

Last edited:
Only just watched the qualifying...looked cold.

Stoner, Lorenzo, Spies...full results here > http://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics/2010/AUS/MotoGP/QP

The race starts in 8 hours but I won't be watching it live :(

I won't be able to see it live aswell...so no checking this thread till after we saw it...:)

Hope to see a repeat from last races ,but am afraid Stoner will dissapear quickly if no one jumps him right after the start...we'll see...👍

EDIT:the warmup just finished and Stoner whas 2 seconds faster than anybody else... :scared: ...

spy.

Last edited:
I think this is very good for Stoner. He has been struggling since he was a world champion in 2007 and this proved that he still can do better than anyone else.

He'll move to Yamaha (if I'm not mistaken) next year so I think he could well be getting another championship title. I'm on his side for this!

He'll move to Yamaha (if I'm not mistaken) next year so I think he could well be getting another championship title. I'm on his side for this!

You're mistaken....... Honda next year for Stoner, most likely Repsol, but with the Dovisioso contract stipulations it might be Gresini yet (fully factory backed).

You're mistaken....... Honda next year for Stoner, most likely Repsol, but with the Dovisioso contract stipulations it might be Gresini yet (fully factory backed).

Thanks for the correction ;)

Indeed it's a Honda for him but it seems like there is a good possibility for Honda to rule out Dovizioso because the team failed to raise the extra funds from either Repsol or Red Bull which would have covered Dovizioso's seat, and so HRC are having to cast round for alternatives...

The shape now as what confirmed:

Yamaha: Ben Spies and Jorge Lorenzo
Ducati: Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden

Just saw the race,nothing really special,but some good battles going on here and there...

Stoner was(as the last 4 years)unbeatable here and that whas that...

Good to see Rossi fight Hayden to get 3rd,will be nice to see how they teamup next year!!

spy.

I hope you did the lottery after making that prediction Spy ;) in fairness predicting Stoner winning at Philip Island isn't an outside bet!

Pretty boring with Stoner and Lorenzo disappearing but some good battles for the next few places. I feel sorry for Hayden that he always seems to come off worse whoever he's battling especially as he's usually uber committed. I really thought he and Rossi were going to crash on the last lap but they both fought fair, they both deserve a medal for staying on the track when Rossi went through.

2 weeks until the next race...it'll all be over soon :(

Interesting stat regarding Casey at Phillip Island........ he's led 103 out of the last 104 laps at the circuit! Impressive.

I hope you did the lottery after making that prediction Spy ;) in fairness predicting Stoner winning at Philip Island isn't an outside bet!

Pretty boring with Stoner and Lorenzo disappearing but some good battles for the next few places. I feel sorry for Hayden that he always seems to come off worse whoever he's battling especially as he's usually uber committed. I really thought he and Rossi were going to crash on the last lap but they both fought fair, they both deserve a medal for staying on the track when Rossi went through.

2 weeks until the next race...it'll all be over soon :(

I think I almost had a heart attack when Rossi tucked in under Hayden... I was certain he was sliding out and into Nicky! A fantastic display of bike control.

-

Boring at the front, but Stoner was showing such a masterful display of driving, I didn't really mind... the way he was sliding that bike around at will, you'd think that he was going for points with the drift judges...

I feel sorry for Hayden that he always seems to come off worse whoever he's battling especially as he's usually uber committed.

He was able to pinch Lorenzo at Aregon (sp) a couple of races ago, but yeah he seems to have trouble keeping his composure in late battles. Rossi seemed to leave the door open for a couple of laps at that corner (Honda Corner) and Nicky wasn't taking the bait. Then with 3 laps left Hayden went for it and actually started pulling a bit of a gap after the pass.

But then Rossi did what Rossi does and closed up and then took a different line at the same corner and took it back. I was glad to see Nicky keep pushing and not get rattled. Rossi ended up finishing ahead by .03 secs at the line.

Both riders were pushing and being aggresive, with no sour grapes after the race. (Lorenzo should take a lesson)

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/hayden+disappointed+after+australian+race

Nice to see Rossi doing what we all love him for. Did anyone see Scott Redding's consecutive tank slappers in the last corner in Qualy on Saturday?

I only found time to watch half the MotoGP qualifying so didn't see any of the Moto2 which was no doubt more action packed. How big was the slapper? Couldn't find a video of it.

I forgot about Hayden at Aregon :dunce:

Also they're doing 160mph through the corner where Stoner was lighting up the rear :boggled:

I'm so happy that Spies got Rookie of the Year with his performances this year.
Considering he's not on a factory backed bike he's done exceptionally well along with Edwards.

But nobody gives Spies any respect here.
Was that little battle for 5th place not epic?
He even states that were it not for his little mishap on the 7th lap that he could've been podium material.

I love Lorenzo, Stoner, Rossi, and all the others that are usually at the front but when you see someone like Spies and Edwards coming up the ranks and pushing the buttons of the top tier guys, you have to give them some credit, and love.
Maybe I'm too much of a Spies fan watching him with his onslaught of last years championship run with Nori Haga in WSBK. I adored 'elbows' fighting for that first place spot every race with Haga and others then and I'm now seeing him come up in MotoGP with the same determination to be at the top of the podium.

Either way, good race by Stoner. I'm so glad to see Stoner back to his winning ways and too bad it's so late in the end of the season for it to be worth a championship.

I was watching that battle. Was a good fight... and IMHO, Spies fully deserves that Yamaha seat next season.

Spies is a MotoGP world champion in waiting without a doubt and fully deserves winning rookie of the year. I don't think we've seen half of what he's capable of yet but that should change next year on the factory bike....and the season isn't over just yet :D

^Totally agree. Spies has the bit between his teeth now with a season of MotoGP track knowledge in his bank. Can't wait to see him on a factory bike next season. Not sure if anyone followed his AMA career in the states before he went to SBK. Mat Maladin was aceing every race until Spies got some experience under his belt. They were both on Factory Suzuki (Team Yoshi, but factory backed) bikes and his talent was unmistakeable, which led to victories and the AMA championship. "Elbows out - watch out" was the battle cry. I suspect he'll be battling for podiums and wins every weekend next season.

**did anyone see the end of the race in Malaysia? Spies was the first rider to congratulate Lorenzo after the race, when they stopped on track for Lorenzo's copycat version (👎) of 'Rossi's celebrations' (👍 which were epic, but Lorenzo needs to be his own guy and stop copying Val)? Jorge blew him off (Spies) and Ben just shook his head and rode off. I know Lorenzo was probably just basking in his glory, but that seemed pretty.....petty. Maybe just me, but Lorenzo was blowing everyone off who rode up, until Rossi came up, and actually hit him in the helmet to get his attention and grabbed his hand to shake it. Rossi wasn't going to let Lorenzo ignore him. Like it. :sly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back