NASCAR Extreme Event - Daytona

Scotland
Scotland
Stephen220378
This race is killing me, I've won the other 4 races with minimal fuss but I can't do this one. Admittedly I know almost zero about NASCAR apart from drafting plays a major part in a race, my problem is cornering, I seem to go into a corner and lose a lot of speed even when I'm in the wake of the car infront. I can catch up again on the straight but if I go into the turn infront of my opponent my speed just seems to die and they'll overtake no problem, if I go into the turn behind them my speed still dies and they pull away which in both cases has me playing catch up on the straight again. Can any NASCAR fan give me any tips on car setup to stop me losing so much speed when cornering?

EDIT: You can't turn TCS or ASM on in this race so it's definitely nothing to do with driver aids.

Last edited:
Make sure Active Stability Management is off as this drastically slows your cornering speed.

If you can't turn ASM off directly you can turn ABS off or use the RA function.

Did you turn ASM off? It slows the car down way too much in the turns.

Edit: Beat x2 in under a minute! lol

That was the first thing I looked at and the thing is it doesn't even allow you to turn driving aids on for this race.

go into options and change your controller mapping, i use up for RA menu Down for going down the menu and left and right for adjustment, take asm off and you can keep it flat through the corners also makes getting gold in the NASCAR special events easier as well

Last edited:
You can use my tactic :dunce:
I was just 12th first 8 laps... That way no one will spin you out.. And than last 2 laps you need to overtake them... It's not easy race to win, but it's not that difficult either.. I won by 0.033 :dopey:

ps - turn all aids off (also abs)

I'm just on this event as we speak, its doing my nut in.
Was Nascar put in just for the American market? Its crap.

I was just 12th first 8 laps... That way no one will spin you out.. And than last 2 laps you need to overtake them... It's not easy race to win, but it's not that difficult either.. I won by 0.033 :dopey:

+1 I tried this race for over an hour and they kept spinning me if I tried to run with them. So I just followed them around until lap 9 and then worked up to the front, much easier.

This race wouldn't be so bad if it didn't feel so cheap. Its IMPOSSIBLE to spin the AI drivers but one tap in my rear quarter panel and its all over... didn't know the real world physics only applied to MY stock car!

The AI in this game hasnt changed a bit, slightly, at the most. If youre stopped dead in the track, they dont brake, try to avoid you, they just plow right into you. And keep plowing into you. Also, completely lame that they can punt you, but you can not budge them. FIX IT

Try to stay in 2nd as long as you can. The draft is true to real life only magnified. If you get knocked out into the lead, stay on the bottom with your left side tires under the yellow line on the straightaways. The cars will not follow you that low to draft.

I was trail braking in the corners to stay in second, I finally got knocked out into the lead and battled back to second until a lap in a half to go.

The AI in this game hasnt changed a bit, slightly, at the most. If youre stopped dead in the track, they dont brake, try to avoid you, they just plow right into you. And keep plowing into you. Also, completely lame that they can punt you, but you can not budge them. FIX IT

I did find that if I nudged them door to door or moved my right rear tire up to their left front fender that they would back down.

Yeah this can be fun, the AI causes some interesting crashes. I was being dragging sideways and backwards at over 150mph down the straights, went flying several times even being carried briefly on top of another car. :lol:

I tried a high line, a low line, leading, staying in the pack and staying at the rear. I swear my car had a target on it and the AI were just focussed on going for the kill once about 7 laps were gone.

Anyways, after about 20 minutes of this fun I knuckled down. I stayed at the front and down close to the apron. I kept my eye on my rear view mirror - trying to ensure most hits were square on, but when I had those dodgy moments luckily there was someone beside me. Got the win.

I think you will need some luck whatever strategy you take.

Last edited:
I swear my car had a target on it
So you were using this car then? :lol:
Samsung+500+Practice+dH38x_Cp9V0l.jpg

I found this race horribly hard. Got spun by the pack a lot of times and there's no catching up when that happens. The one good thing is you can finish last and still get 5 - 6000 A-spec points. What worked for me was hanging at the back of the pack for most of the race and then making a move in the last 3 laps. Make sure you are in about 4 coming into the final banking and when the other cars brake shoot up the inside to about second. Then slipstream the car in first coming up the line. I had previously lost by +0:00.001 and the race I won was -0.00.000. Very lucky. But it's done now. Also change your oil.

Its a tricky one, you gotta run with them and make your move at the end, or push your way thru early and extend your lead enough so they can't draught you.

This works. Got it on the 1st try with no problem.

All I did was make my way to the lead car and stay glued to his rear bumper for the whole race. Keep pushing him.
Don't pass him till the last corner & use draft momentum when you do. I also set all downforce at minimum.

I'm just on this event as we speak, its doing my nut in.
Was Nascar put in just for the American market? Its crap.

I actually enjoy the idea of NASCAR in the game, it gives a different approach to racing to learn and master. However PD have done with NASCAR what they've done with a lot of things in GT5, ballsed it up.

I love NASCAR in this game. But not being able to turn ASM off at the ovals kills it for me. Golded the events, wont be returning any time soon :indiff:

I love NASCAR in this game. But not being able to turn ASM off at the ovals kills it for me. Golded the events, wont be returning any time soon :indiff:

All the NASCAR Special Events teach you is, NASCAR doesn't use ABS or traction control. I almost broke some furniture but I realized ABS was set to 1 for the last challenge for some reason. I turned it off and easily won. I am going to try the Extreme Championship this evening, all furniture will be spared.

Its a tricky one, you gotta run with them and make your move at the end, or push your way thru early and extend your lead enough so they can't draught you.

What do you mean "enough so they can't draught you"? The AI can draught me from half a lap away. No exaggeration!

ETA: Is there a difference in any of these cars, other than cosmetic? Like is one the fastest?

What do you mean "enough so they can't draught you"? The AI can draught me from half a lap away. No exaggeration!

ETA: Is there a difference in any of these cars, other than cosmetic? Like is one the fastest?
They are all the same. Actually your first comment is right, and PD got this right. You can travel so much faster when you are travelling nose to tail with other cars .. check your speedo. It is just impossible to get away hence your strategy must be based on staying just ahead or just behind the pack.

Problem with staying behind is the pack quite oftern seems to split up, like the cars behind can't draught the other cars from the same distance they can draft me. Problem with staying in front is instant annihilation by invincible death machines.

I've seen me being punted so hard I flew into a car in the lane next to me at about 130mph. I'm pretty sure if this were a real Nascar event the car I hit would have at least swerved slightly, if not flew over the barrier into the crowd.

I hate this race. The rest of them are so easy the main challenge is trying to stay awake for the million or so laps it feels like you have to sit through. Then it turns into mission impossible. :crazy:

Finally done this event! Got slammed into the wall on the first turn and ended up 10th so I stayed glued to the bumper of the car infront until we worked our way to the leading pack of 4 on the 8th lap, ditched my drafting partner and moved up to 3rd on the 9th lap, gave myself a bit of space coming out of the second last corner to build up more speed on the straight and passed both cars on the final corner then just held on for the win. It's one tough damn race.

This race is excellent. I've been playing Nascar games since long before they were worth their own weight in **** and I must say, this race that you speak of, is the best re-creation of a super speedway race I've ever played.

Now, as for slowing down in the corners..... Carefull with that wheel ( or, thumstick...?). Turning any more than you need to just scrubs off speed by creating friction. Also, like I said, I have a LOT of Nascar console racing under my belt and I haven't won this one yet either so don't be too hard on yourself. I've finished 2nd by less than .050 twice now, so I'm getting there....

I love this race!

The technique of dropping to the back of the pack is a good one. However, you gotta watch out that the idiot AI drivers don't split into 2 packs. If 1-5 start to pull away and 6-11 are falling behind, you won't be able to get from 6th to 5th by drafting. This is what caused me to try something else:

Quickly work your way up to first place. This should be able to be done in about 1-2 laps at most. Set your view to front bumper cam to increase your FOV, especially on your rear view mirror. Spend the next 9 laps "defending" first place. Make sure when the AI drivers bump draft (i.e. ram you from behind) that they hit you square. This will keep you from spinning and them from passing you. At times 2 or 3 cars will be coming up at the same time. Always choose the inside car to block. Let them pass you on the outside, you will immediately take them back in the next corner. Also, getting outside is just bad in general because the track is fastest about 1/3 from the inside...and the AI slides up and will spin you.

...It's kind of cheap, but I didn't feel bad about it one bit - not with those cheap ass physics that keep the AI drivers on rails as they smash into you.

Back