NASCAR Extreme Event - Daytona

This race is excellent. I've been playing Nascar games since long before they were worth their own weight in **** and I must say, this race that you speak of, is the best re-creation of a super speedway race I've ever played.

Now, as for slowing down in the corners..... Carefull with that wheel ( or, thumstick...?). Turning any more than you need to just scrubs off speed by creating friction. Also, like I said, I have a LOT of Nascar console racing under my belt and I haven't won this one yet either so don't be too hard on yourself. I've finished 2nd by less than .050 twice now, so I'm getting there....

I love this race!

If you look at the post above yours I finally done it. Certainly one of the most enjoyable although very frustrating races in the game, however it does give you a real sense of achievement when it's finally done

Yay! Thanks to whoever pointed out that ASM defaults to on. As soon as I turned it off I won. Now I never have to drive one of these medieval dayglo outhouses on wheels ever again :D

Stop complaining about the AI being on rails, they just counter steer a lot faster than you do. I have spun the AI out by ramming them from behind, you watch as they frantically steer left and right to keep the car together, then move over to a corner and accelerate. This race does show all the incredible things about NASCAR, that is one sport I wouldn't have the balls to do, bump drafting at 200+ are you crazy? I've actually watched cars form that line to catch leaders in NASCAR, it's incredible to see like a Benetton train speeding down the straight.

It's best to get to the front early and just hang with the lead 3 or 4 cars and do not let them get away. Bump draft on straights and get clean air on corners then bump draft right out of the corner. Using a FFB wheel is an exercise, I feel like hulk after playing that race, going back later for more :D.

Stop complaining about the AI being on rails, they just counter steer a lot faster than you do. I have spun the AI out by ramming them from behind, you watch as they frantically steer left and right to keep the car together, then move over to a corner and accelerate. This race does show all the incredible things about NASCAR, that is one sport I wouldn't have the balls to do, bump drafting at 200+ are you crazy? I've actually watched cars form that line to catch leaders in NASCAR, it's incredible to see like a Benetton train speeding down the straight.

It's best to get to the front early and just hang with the lead 3 or 4 cars and do not let them get away. Bump draft on straights and get clean air on corners then bump draft right out of the corner. Using a FFB wheel is an exercise, I feel like hulk after playing that race, going back later for more :D.

I have to say, the AI is terrible. I don't get spun because they bump me and I fail to countersteer. I spin and crash because they ram me and follow through until I'm spun out of the way. I get smashed, catch it and can not straighten out since they push into my rear and plow for a few hundred meters (all while I have the wheel cut, full throttle) until I finally go flying away in some direction. I've had 2 cars plowing me, sideways down the straight, like a vehicular Stonehenge monolith on it's side. It's a joke, and horribly frustrating.

I will try soft tires, turning abs off and sticking to the back of the pack until lap 7 or 8, if I ever try it again. Huge, HUGE disappointment.

PHP:
Yay! Thanks to whoever pointed out that ASM defaults to on. As soon as I turned it off I won. Now I never have to drive one of these medieval dayglo outhouses on wheels ever again :D

Lol, I must try this!
On a side note: Your avatar made me punch my screen -_-

I'll give all you GTP-Memebers/Guests/Nascar-Fans my knowledge in Nascar car set up...(Note that Nascar is all about suspension set up since you can not modify the cars)

For GT5 automobile setup for Nascar @ Daytona:
-First off, if you drove your new car (NascarStockCar) before changing the oil first, you have screwed up already, because now, your car will always have 850HP instead of 891HP boost.
(Also note that all of the toyotas get more HP boost than chevys or fords)

-Raise the front end all the way up in height (To avoid losing speed from bottoming out)
-Lower the rear end to -15 in height (To lose drag)
-Camber is unfortunatelly useless in GT5 Oval racing as you can not adjust each tire individually and so one side will not grip and will wear out very rapidly...the other bad thing to camber in one side acting negatively is that it destroys your car set up on ovals if set up higher than 3.9 degrees.
-Spring pressure to 18.5
-Dampers to 8-4F 8-4R
-Set your gear ratios to higher than 336mph if your planing to draft, or 224mph if your going by yourself (Ex. Qualifing).
-ABS set to off
-No traction control.
-Downforce of 35front and 55rear.
-Set the brake bias to 2front 2rear as youll probably only need a tiny bit.
-And most importantly, Set the LSD Acceleration to 60 if you dont want to spin out at high speeds on corner exits...Its better than traction control because you dont lose power, but you do lose acceleration on exits of roadcourses with tight turns.

If you have followed this car set up, winning at daytona should be easy because your car can now run 217mph full throttle right next to the yellow line and get away from the pack for easy carrier/online wins.

Last edited:
What I did was just pass everyone on the first lap and just keep blocking them until the end. Every once in a while you may get passed but you can get it back right away. Hopefully the timing is right and you'll be in the lead over the line. Make sure to aggressively block anyone charging towards you.

It's a real shame Kazunori and PD still have no grasp whatsoever of drafting. It's still incredibly unrealistic. NASCAR stock cars cannot reach speeds of 220+ MPH on Daytona and Indianapolis... It's just retarded how quickly cars catch up due to drafting. Terrible, terrible, terrible implementation.

ASM and ABS are default to ON. howcan we turn off them, i couldnt find that. :/

You can't turn them off any more. There was an update where PD locked them on (for some reason).

Most of the events are ridiculously easy. This one is ridiculously hard. You have to draft. You have to block. And the AI will wreck you even on the straights.

Has anyone person on the planet earth been able to finish this race after the patch where it is no longer posibel to turn ABS off ?

This race is driving me nuts. seems like it is just a matter of luck of maybe doing it in 1/1000 attemps. My best after like 30 attempts is 5. The car is simply to slow combined with the fact that you are spun off by the AI 90 % of the races.

Can anyone give some hints, posibelly a video, or some tuning setups that the won this race with post the patch wich makes it imposibel to run ABS off ?

With a wheel you can dial the brake bias to 0/0, effectively turning off ABS. But you would never lift when you're driving anyway. Do you mean ASM? I haven't driven those in so long now, I can't remember.

With a wheel you can dial the brake bias to 0/0, effectively turning off ABS. But you would never lift when you're driving anyway. Do you mean ASM? I haven't driven those in so long now, I can't remember.

It dosent matter if using a wheel or DS3. You can set the brake bias in the menu before you start.

There was a patch that made it imposibel to turn off ABS, and thereby also ASM, since those two are contected.

I just tryed again maybe like 15 times. My best now is second place. and had a couple of tryes where i was 1 going into the last turn, and then eather getting rammed of the track by the AI, or overtaked by the AI when i leave the last turn.

I find the whole race stupid, its not even fun. To drive around in and oval there is like no skill involved, and its just pure luck of getting the timming right where one needs to be behind the AI just at the right moment on the final lap.

If I am overtaking them like 0,000001 second to soon, they will catch up to slipstream past me, and i wont get 1 place. Or if i am like 0,000001 second to slow i wont be able to slipstream past the AI.

Stay as low as possible on track when coming out of the corners. Use your mirrors and block ... make the blocking move before they get right up on you or they will wreck you.

Unlike other NASCAR games blocking in this race in general is key. I have played NASCAR games all my life and am a huge fan. Make sure to stay behind a car at the beginning for the draft to pull you up to it. Once your gaining speed dive close to the apron and take the short way around the track. If your anywere but 1st make sure to stay behind a car but unlike other NASCAR games avoid bump drafting him since it slows both of you down. After the 1st or 2nd lap you should be in first. After that it's pure blocking but make sure not to misjudge it and cause yourself to spin out. When I raced it the last time I stayed mostly at the bottom line with a car pushing me. Blocking both sides works great but as I mentioned be careful not to block while the other car has a nose under you already. Hope this helps :)

The cheats no longer work for Nascar. Kinda
The AI will daft you if you stay out in front. They will line up perfectly
So don't bother with holding first place till very last corner.
Stay in the pack and take your frustration out on drivers.
No 24 and No 11 is my suggestion
Stop trying to drive a perfectly clean race and get other drivers cars dirty.
Don't brake if you have no where to go give the car infront a Jeff Gordon love tap.

klondike
I find the whole race stupid, its not even fun. To drive around in and oval there is like no skill involved, and its just pure luck of getting the timming rightAI.

stupid race and no skill involved, just blind luck? You mean like many of the license tests and special events in GT5 that require blind luck to get gold? The IB-3 slalom test comes to mind.

It's a definite skill, just different than other types of racing. Do F1 drivers need skill? The WRC racers might not think so, or the Super GT guys might think drag racing or hill climbing is dumb. To each his own.

PD tried to include many different types, they got some, missed others. I think the hill climb at Pikes Peak could be fun, and could justify that however many millions we paid for the Escudo Trial Car!

I finally made it.

Strategy that worked for me....

I just stay in the pack at all times.

Dident even try to take the lead, until the very last moment.

Bumber drafting is useless.

Dident find any use of blocking eather, as sooner or later when attempting to block the AI would spin me off.

Just stay very low, near the yellowline when the AI overtakes me, and then soon up behind to slipstream again.

I sorta overtoke the leading car like 1 second before the finish line.

Its more or less all about luck, to be in exactly the right spot at lap 10. So its timed to go in the lead at the very right moment just before the finish line.

Back