NEW INFO: Track Time-Syncing, Randomly Generated Rally Career, Custom Soundtrack...

• Thread starter Dessy182
  • 261 comments
Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
GTP_Dessy
From the upcoming PSM3 Gran Turismo article:
All of these paragraphs are direct excerpts. I left out most of the information we already know.

Cars
Of the roughly 1000 cars in GT5, about 800 are standard models. Mostly brought over from GTPSP, they're shiny, HD and still more detailed than any vehicle in Prologue. These vehicles only suffer scrapes and scratches, but it's crash consequences that matter. A trip to the gravel trap - or worse, the metal railings - in any car could prove race ending. Think broken gearboxes, brake failures and even engine stalls. All cars regardless of type have fully functioning front reverse lights, horns and get dirty during races.

Dynamic Weather/Time
Snow is similarly impressive, hitting the windscreen in thick clumps before melting into water and being wiped from view. Flakes start to clump in thick grass, tree branches and tracksides before slowly setting onto the track, one lap at a time. It's not just how stunning the weather effects look, though, but their unpredictability which most impresses. Weather even alters the temperature, air pressure and humidity on the track. Forecasts are available for each race, but in a cruelly realistic twist, aren't always accurate. During long races, clouds move across the sky, darkening the track and forcing a constant re-assessment of your race strategy. Failure to read the changing conditions could mean the difference between victory and crashing out.
Daylight alters during longer races, too. Night slowly sets in, reducing visibility and necessitating the use of hi-beam headlights over normal ones. In a 24 hour race, the sky's hue changes slowly fades to black and back without any animations. Stunning. In keeping with the hyper-realism, Polyphony have even included 'time-syncing' on real-life circuits. This allows you to match the time of day in-game to that of the real track - meaning if it's night time in Monza, you'll have to race in the dark. Yet another unnecessary detail that only GT offers..

Soundtrack
Just like the PSP version, you'll get the chance to play whatever music you have on your hard drive, so you're only limited by the size of your disk and the range of your MP3 collection.

Customization
You can tell when you're tailing a car with a racing exhaust rather that its standard factory parts, because it looks bigger and sounds louder than normal. You can tune electric cars. Tuning menus are more interactive and visual that before, too, with a much slicker user interface in the garage - though there's no livery editor this time.

Rally
Each race in the rally career is run on a randomly-generated point-to-point course with the aim, like in real rallying, being to beat your competitors times rather than race them head to head. Every rally is also affected by GT5's stunning weather engine, too. There's even a co-driver calling out each corners severity and suggested approach.

Nascar
NASCAR in GT only comprises a few 'official' tracks - including Daytona and Indianapolis - and roughly ten real drivers. The license will also play to the real sport's rules, such as yellow flags and pitting. The NASCARs are also the only vehicles which have bonnets break open and rear windows shatter.

Excerpts from Interview with Kaz

Dirt Track on the online mode, you can drive with many more cars that way. And the Rally mode is different again; each car is on a time trial, staggered by 10 seconds.

Wet-weather pit strategy can make or break your race. You will have to make the right decisions at the right time, and learn to be fast in both wet and dry conditions. This, with 16- player, private online race events, is going to be unlike anything we've seen before. I can't wait.

EDIT: I tell no lies
picture3hz.png

I'm not posting anymore pics as there are no new screenshots

Last edited:
Yes sir! Very nice, brake failure, gearbox, and engine failure me like.

Wow, if the standards look better than GT5P cars, then I'm not worried one bit. But it is hard to bleieve given GT5P had cockpit views.

Do they really mention gtplanet in the article and actually say that, if so then go karts could be possibly be down to me.

Plus engine stalls, this is somthing I really miss in gran turismo after playing computer sims.

Very nice! I keep getting more and more excited for this game!

this is all in the current issue of PSM3, there is an interview with jordan himself in it!

i bought it the other day as it had "10 pages of GT5!"

imagine 10 pages of already seen pics and old news!

nothing to get excited about people. wait for the reviews!

Hear that, guys: GTPlanet is a major influence on features in the game. So, keep those ideas coming for GT6. I mean, we got damage, weather, changing day and night...

And the first details on Standard Cars..."More detailed than anything in Prologue". So, think of the cars in GT5P as a crappy version of the Standard cars...and if that's the Standard cars, then the Premiums will be even more awesome. But it sounds like you won't have to worry about a drastic difference when racing standard and premium models together. Sounds like the only way you'll be able to tell the two levels apart is that the Standard models will have blacked out windows.

For the sake of copyright I don't want to post everything. Honestly there are no new track or in game screens. I posted info that people on here want to know the most :)

I saw this magazine yesterday and decided not to buy it or post on here that it had info about gt5 in it. DAMN

Standard cars more detailed than those in Prologue?
Hmmm... I doubt this will be the case, somehow.

Disappointing to know that only on NASCAR cars windows will break.

What do you think Polyphony Digital think of GTPlanet?
They are familiar with the site and keep a close eye on our forums as our members share their thoughts, ideas and critisms. Nearly all of the major features the GTPlanet user base has asked for were implemented in Gran Turismo 5. I think they appreciate our feedback and interest in their work.

All great but then why PD does not want to send a review copy of GT5 to GTP ?:dunce:

What do you think Polyphony Digital think of GTPlanet?
They are familiar with the site and keep a close eye on our forums as our members share their thoughts, ideas and critisms. Nearly all of the major features the GTPlanet user base has asked for were implemented in Gran Turismo 5. I think they appreciate our feedback and interest in their work.

I think this question was answered by Jordan instead of Kaz?

Back