New PS2 version...?

• Thread starter Majarvis
  • 22 comments

Majarvis

(Banned)
I was just wondering if there are any new PS2 revisions coming down the pipeline in the near future, or if the one that is out now is going to be it for a while? The reason I'm asking is because I sold my old PS2 and am planning on buying the online pack, with the newest 500001 revision PS2 bundled with it, thanks.

dude ... I just noticed that the 50000 doesn't have an iLink port. This really makes me sad.

Does anyone have one and can verify?

Wait, so you're saying that it is missing the iLink port, or that you have no use for the one that exists? Sorry, but I need to clarify to feel justificated (made up a word - you can use it).

I have an 500001, there is no I-Link. The ones that don't have an I-Link have little yellow triangles on the corners of the box. I have no need for an I-Link and don't know what it does so it's good for me. But doesn't it have something to do with connecting other PS2's and playing together such as GT3?

There are a few older games that use i.Link as a networking path and yes GT3 is one of them - the most popular I would assume.

This most likely means that GT4 won't have i.Link support, which really ticks me off. Sony announced a while back that they had sold 50 Million Playstation 2 Consoles. Maybe there is a chance, even if a slim one, that they will include i.Link support.

Thanks for the note Slick6.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Wait, so you're saying that it is missing the iLink port, or that you have no use for the one that exists? Sorry, but I need to clarify to feel justificated (made up a word - you can use it).

Okay, Im saying I never found use into the I-link thing on the older models. When I did have one, I still had no use. I don't have 2 PS2's, I can't move 2 TV's into my room. And why would my friends bring over their own PS2 to hook up in my room. I also never found a I-Link cord.

Ah, ok. Well, GT3 i.Linking is really fun. Though it does take quite a lot of equipment to get enough people racing together. I've had three going together - it's real big in Western Europe to have six player tournaments. They'll get together at a hotel or something and play the entire weekend. Guys and girls come from a bunch of different countries just to race. But GT3 bigger there than it is in the States, so I'm sure they have an easier time of getting people together.

There are a few older games that use i.Link as a networking path and yes GT3 is one of them - the most popular I would assume.

This most likely means that GT4 won't have i.Link support, which really ticks me off. Sony announced a while back that they had sold 50 Million Playstation 2 Consoles. Maybe there is a chance, even if a slim one, that they will include i.Link support.

Why would they? It supports network play - and more people have a network adapter than EVER bought the iLink paraphernalia.

My friend has the newer version of the PS2 and it is really annoying because when I put my memory card in to play a game with my stuff on it I alway's have to turn off the PS2 before playing otherwise it wont load.

Originally posted by Famine
Why would they? It supports network play - and more people have a network adapter than EVER bought the iLink paraphernalia.

What about all the people who have iLink setups? I mean, it is a small number, but they're completely ditching them. Forcing them to buy networking hardware.

This is what I currently have.
playstation.jpg

It's a newer version of PS2 (V10) Satin Silver Limited Edition. :)

Ooohhh, Silver. I dig it. I notice it does not have i.Link ports - is this true?
Yes, it's true. New versions of PS2 does not have useless i-Link port. :)

A lot quieter operation (I really mean A LOT), DVD-R/W media support, and 480p progressive scan DVD playback with built-in IR receiver. :)

Eh, I don't think i.Link is useless - it's just not taken advantage of. They could have done all kinds of spiffy stuff with it had they been so inclined. What I find useless are the damn controller ports. USB is better in so many regards - heck the XBox uses custom USB plugs and native USB protocal. I hope the next generation of consoles uses standard USB plugging and has like 8 ports to accomodate controllers and general other paraphanelia. And hubs could be added for more.

Imagine ... NFL football games on a big screen TV 1080i with 16 live people in a room together playing. Wow ... (: You could even split it onto two TVs so they each have propper perspective and each console would be an entire team. Bad ass ...

Which brings me to another topic! I think the next batch of consoles should have digital out that can be split and run to two (or more) output screens. That way you could have players on their own screens without having to have a bunch of consoles and networking equipment.

Of course, I'm talking about an $800 console ... but it'd be cool (:

i have the first version ps2 (V1 motherboard) and to me it is pretty annoying when i compared it to newer ps2's i noticed that when the laser reads the disc it isnt as loud as mine, and also it is annoying when it comes to watching DVD's it skips alot, is it just my ps2? or does this happen to alot of peope who have a V1 ps2?

Originally posted by oscarfulz
i have the first version ps2 (V1 motherboard) and to me it is pretty annoying when i compared it to newer ps2's i noticed that when the laser reads the disc it isnt as loud as mine, and also it is annoying when it comes to watching DVD's it skips alot, is it just my ps2? or does this happen to alot of peope who have a V1 ps2?

When I have my 350001 one, it was loud as hell compared to the 500001. the 350001 sounds like a friggen fraight train. But the New PS2's are great, and so far, no problems.

Back