• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 30 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I am posting this at a bad time, as the NHL Draft is going on presently. Anyhow...

NHL Playoffs hit different. The Boston Bruins completed an epic regular season... then get bounced by the Florida Panthers in the 1st Round. The defending champion Colorado Avalanche got bounced by the Seattle Kraken. We ended up with the Vegas Golden Knights and Florida Panthers playing for the Stanley Cup. Your defending champions for this upcoming season are the Vegas Golden Knights. Everything from the NHL Draft to the final game of the Stanley Cup Finals are fair game for discussion here.

Welcome to the new season! Face-off!

Blackhawks take the cup*

*in NHL24

On a more serious note. I hope Nashville stacks the deck. We don't have an NHL team in my state, but we do have the AHL affiliate for them, and I hope the Preds call some of them up again. Sherwood, Jankowski, and Evangelista definitely deserve a starting spot

Believe it or not, the NHL Preseason got underway last night. So we're back in business! Seems like the action is just warming up before the 2023-2024 season starts proper.

GTPlaneteers, are you ready for the new season of NHL Hockey? Because... it begins TONIGHT! ESPN has you covered with three games tonight to begin the 2023-2024 quest for the Stanley Cup. Check it:

• NSH Predators at TB Lightning
  • CHI Blackhawks at PIT Penguins
  • SEA Kraken at VGK Golden Knights <<< VGK: defending Champions

Enjoy tonight's games and the new season!

Here are your results from NHL Opening Night 2023-2024:

* The Tampa Bay Lightning thunderstruck the Nashville Predators 5-3 in Tampa Bay. The two teams were tied at 1-1 heading into the Third Period. Nashville scored first in the 3rd Period followed by two unanswered goals by Tampa Bay. After another goal by Nashville, it was all Tampa Bay to close out.

* It was 4-2 in Pittsburgh as the Chicago Blackhawks defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins. Pittsburgh scored the first two goals, then it was all Chicago since. The only NHL Original Six team to play tonight did very good tonight.

* After all the fanfare with the Vegas Golden Knights celebrating their Stanley Cup triumph, they hosted the upstart Seattle Kraken to start the 2023-2024 season. The Golden Knights downed the Kraken 4-1.

Good start by the winners, plenty of season left for those who failed. More teams get their 2023-2024 campaign going on Wednesday.

All 32 NHL teams play tonight. It's the NHL's "Frozen Frenzy!" These games will be shown on ESPN tonight if you are looking for a game to watch:

• TOR Maple Leafs at WAS Capitals
  • BOS Bruins at CHI Blackhawks
  • PHI Flyers at VGK Golden Knights

Enjoy this great night of NHL hockey.

After seven games, here are your Division leaders:

(LEGEND = wins - losses - overtime losses, points)

• ATLANTIC: Boston (7 games played, 6-0-1, 13 points)
  • METROPOLITAN: New York Rangers (7 games played, 5-2-0, 10 points)
  • CENTRAL: Colorado (7 games played, 6-1-0, 12 points)
  • PACIFIC: Vegas (8 games played, 7-0-1, 15 points)

Now for a little rundown of how teams have done so far:

* The Detroit Red Wings are 5-2-1 with 11 points. They are 2nd in the Atlantic division.

* Omnis' Florida Panthers, the Stanley Cup runners-up last season, are 3-3-0 with 6 points. They are 6th in the Atlantic Division.

* The Dallas Stars are 4-1-1, 9 points, 2nd in Central.

* For you Minnesota Wild fans, the Wild are 3-3-2 with 8 points. They are 4th in the Central Division.

* kolio's St. Louis Blues are 3-3-1 with 7 points. They are 5th in the Central Division.

* The best Canadian team so far is a tie between Toronto and Vancouver. Both are 5-2-0 with 10 points on the season. Toronto is 3rd in the Atlantic, and Vancouver is 2nd in the Pacific.

Still a long ways to go this season.

Happy Halloween! Halloween Hockey has only two games tonight. Here they are:

• LA Kings at TOR Maple Leafs
  • NSH Predators at VAN Canucks

Enjoy tonight's games!

This past Thursday, the Vancouver Canucks beat the San José Sharks 10-1 this past Thursday. I saw the quick highlights on YouTube. It was 10 unanswered goals and then the Sharks scoring to avert a shutout. The Sharks are now 0-9-1 (wins-losses-overtime losses) on the 2023-2024 season with only 1 point, and they are also 8th (last) in the Pacific Division. They are the only winless team so far this season. OUCH. Could be a long season for hockey fans in San José this season.

Man, the Sharks really are a miserable team. I'll be curious to see if they can keep it up and best the 80-81 Jets who went 30 games without a win.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Wings this year and it feels good that it's finally starting to click for them. I can finally watch hockey again.

Yeah. Still a ways to go? Who knows? Maybe San Jose turns things around and maybe sneak into the postseason. You may never know.

I actually like the Detroit Red Wings, so I kind of follow them. Of the four major American sports, the NHL is the one I'm usually unbiased in, since Houston doesn't have an NHL team (yet?). I do sort of follow the Dallas Stars. I think it's good the Red Wings are sort of getting their stride back. They used to go like, 25 straight seasons to the playoffs, even winning Lord Stanley's Cup a few times. Detroit is currently 6-4-1 with 13 points, 2nd in the Atlantic Division behind Boston (9-0-1, 19 pts.). Coincidentally, the Red Wings' next game is against the Boston Bruins tonight in Detroit.

By the way, San Jose's next game is tonight, hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Ten games are on tap tonight. TNT will show these two games:

• DET Red Wings at NYR Rangers
  • NJ Devils at COL Avalanche

Since we're kind of used to Tampa Bay doing so well each season, it is kind of sad they are currently 3rd in the Atlantic Division. Ahead of the Lightning are the Atlantic Division leading Boston Bruins and Joey D's Detroit Red Wings.

The Pacific Division has the three worst teams right now- two from Canada (even the same province!) and one in California. The other three divisions' worst records are at four wins. The Calgary Flames are currently 3-7-1 (7 points). Next-to-last in the Pacific is the 2-8-1 (5 pts.) Edmonton Oilers. Last place, and STILL winless are the 0-10-1 San José Sharks with one measly point.

A few other observations now. They aren't "my" Dallas Stars, but I do tend to follow them. Dallas leads the Central Division at 7-3-1 with 15 points. If kolio visits this thread, the St. Louis Blues are 4th in the Central Division at 5-4-1 with 11 points.

Still a ways to go this season. Good job if your team(s) is/are doing well. I hope things get better if they aren't doing so well.

"SHARKS WIN! SHARKS WIN! Yeah!"

That must have been what San Jose Sharks radio must have said last night, as the Sharks avoided being part of negative NHL history. The 2023-2024 Sharks are among two or three other teams that started a season 0-11. Had the Sharks lost last night to the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Sharks would have been all alone with the worst record to start an NHL season ever. They prevented that from happening as San Jose won 2-1 last night.

Three games are on tonight. Here's the schedule for tonight if you're looking for a game to watch:

• OTT Senators at TOR Maple Leafs
  • FLA Panthers at WAS Capitals (NHL on TNT)
  • LA Kings at VGK Golden Knights (NHL on TNT)

Enjoy tonight's games!

1699457833238.png

Dean Evason, coach of the Minnesota Wild, has been fired today. The Minnesota Wild are currently 5-10-4 with 14 points. They are next-to-last in the Central Division, only ahead of the 6-13-0 with 12 points Chicago Blackhawks. Only 19 games played so far for Minnesota. Tough break for the Wild. Their next game is tomorrow against kolio's St. Louis Blues.

Detroit Red Wings fans, meet your latest acquisition- Patrick Kane. The deal is reportedly set for 1 year for $2.75M USD. I'm pretty sure Chicago Blackhawks are pretty cringe right now not seeing Patrick Kane in a Blackhawks uniform.

Detroit is currently 3rd in the Atlantic Division with a record of 11-6-3 and with 25 points.

Heads up!

On right now on TNT is the Winter Classic. It is the Vegas Golden Knights at the Seattle Kraken with the game played at T-Mobile Park, home to Major League Baseball's Seattle Mariners. It is currently 2-0 in favor of Seattle with 14:43 left in the 2nd Period.

Last edited:
Let's talk about the San José Sharks. They've gotten around being the laughing stock of the NHL since they won their first game of the season, right? No. Apparently, they are on a 10-game losing streak and have a record of 9-27-3 with 21 points. DEAD LAST in the Pacific Division, the NHL record-wise, and points-wise after 39 games played. In mere moments, the Sharks will host the Toronto Maple Leafs (19-10-7, 45 points, 3rd in Atlantic).

If you're wondering the longest losing streak in NHL history, it's 18 games. The 2003-2004 Pittsburgh Penguins and the 2020-2021 Buffalo Sabres tied for the 18-game losing streak. Here is SJ's next 10 games (without dates):

San Jose Sharks' Next Ten Games: TOR, at TOR, at MON, at OTT, at BUF, at CHI, ANA, at LA, NYR

Tough times for the Sharks, as they have been sleeping with the fishes.

At first, I thought this "Stanley Cup Craze" trend was about the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup. However, it is about some special edition tumbler cup from a collaboration with Stanley Tools and Starbucks, and not Lord Stanley's Cup given to the champions of the NHL. Most notably is how women fought over trying to buy one of those tumbler cups. I swear social media unnerves me at times and makes me proud not to learn of certain trends or being current. Don't fall for these social media traps. Instead, be excited for the REAL Stanley Cup to be played for come playoffs time!

By the way... the Sharks lost AGAIN. That's now 11 straight losses for the boys of the Shark Tank.

Also, congratulations to whomever fills out this season's All-Star Break!

The Edmonton Oilers have been ballin' lately. They've won 11 straight games as of the time of this post. The longest winning streak in NHL history is 17, by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1992-1993 season. The Oilers will try to make it 12 straight wins when they host the Seattle Kraken tonight.

Edmonton still ballin'. The Edmonton Oilers knocked down their 16th straight win of the season recently with a 4-1 win at home over the Nashville Predators last night. These Oilers have the longest winning streak for any Canadian NHL franchise. They can make it 17 straight wins if they can win next game on February 6 at the Vegas Golden Knights. Despite being 29-15-1 on the season, they are only 3rd in the Pacific Division.

The Edmonton Oilers' winning streak has been snapped. This streak ends at 16 and goes no further thanks to a 3-1 loss at the Vegas Golden Knights. The Oilers don't get to tie or surpass the longest NHL winning streak in history (17 straight wins). All congratulations to the Edmonton Oilers on a job well done amassing 16 straight wins.

The "Big City Greens Classic" returns! This season, it will be the Pittsburgh Penguins at Boston Bruins to be animated in the style of Big City Greens. This is pretty cool to watch last season when the NHL did this. I may or may not get to see this rendition of the Big City Greens Classic. Should be fun!

Enjoy this game and any other NHL action you want to watch today!

Heading into tonight's games, the following teams have clinched Playoff berths:

BOS Bruins
FLA Panthers
...3rd Place Atlantic Division
NYR Rangers
CAR Hurricanes
...3rd Place Metropolitan
...1st Place East Wild Card
...2nd Place East Wild Card
DAL Stars
...2nd Place Central
...3rd Place Central
...1st Place Pacific
...2nd Place Pacific
...3rd Place Pacific
...1st Place West Wild Card
...2nd Place West Wild Card

More slots to be filled out as the regular season nears its end. Congratulations to all current Playoff teams!

Last edited:
The following teams have either clinched Playoff berths or won their Division:

• Florida (Alantic Division Champs)
  • Boston
  • Toronto
  • Tampa Bay
  • New York Rangers (Metropolitan Division Champs, Presidents Trophy winners)
  • Carolina
  • New York Islanders
  • Washington
  • Dallas (Central Division Champs)
  • Winnipeg
  • Colorado
  • Nashville
  • Vancouver (Pacific Division Champs)
  • Edmonton
  • Vegas
  • Los Angeles

And these teams go no further:
  • Detroit
  • Buffalo
  • Ottawa
  • Montreal
  • Pittsburgh
  • Philadelphia
  • New Jersey
  • Columbus
  • St. Louis
  • Minnesota
  • Arizona
  • Chicago
  • Calgary
  • Seattle
  • Anaheim
  • San Jose <<< worst record (currently 19-53-9)

The quest to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup begins in a few days. Congratulations to all who got in, and better luck next season to those eliminated from Playoff contention.

[UPDATE] Forgot to include Washington to the "in" teams.

Last edited:
I wonder what they'll name the team? The Grizzlies are already the minor league hockey team and the baseball team is the Bees. I just hope they don't do something stupid and call them the Gulls (the seagull is the state bird). The Pioneers would be kind of cool as would the Elks.

The Stanley Cup is up for grabs again, starting today! Lord Stanley's beautiful championship trophy is what 16 NHL teams have a chance to hoist this postseason. Doing so will require you to go through the grind of some fierce NHL hockey action. Here are the matches set to unfold for this postseason:

--- ATLANTIC DIVISION ---
  • #A1 FLA Panthers vs. #WC1 TB Lightning
  • #A2 BOS Bruins vs. #A3 TOR Maple Leafs

--- METROPOLITAN DIVISION ---
  • M1 NYR Rangers vs. #WC2 WAS Capitals
  • M2 CAR Hurricanes vs. #M3 NYI Islanders

--- CENTRAL DIVISION ---
  • C1 DAL Stars vs. #WX2 VGK Golden Knights
  • C2 WPG Jets vs. #C3 COL Avalanche

--- PACIFIC DIVISION ---
  • #P1 VAN Canucks vs. #WC1 NSH Predators
  • #P2 EDM Oilers vs. #P3 LA Kings

Be sure to check your local listings for times for each game. Enjoy the 2023-2024 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Back