No sound through tv speakers, Xbox Series XXBOne 

• Thread starter Jezza819
  • 10 comments
United States
Alabamistan
This afternoon when I played Project Cars 2 on my Fanatec CSL DD wheel, I had sound. About 8 hours later I thought I would play some Circuit Superstars but when I turned the console on, there was no sound. Turned it off and on again, no sound. Unplugged the power for 30 seconds, no sound.

Went online searching for answers and found nothing. Went to Xbox support and did an online chat with a volunteer. They suggested unplugging all power and HDMi cable, holding power button for 15 seconds to drain remaining power then restarting, still no sound. Reset the console to default but kept games and apps. still no sound. Not only is there no sound but if I try to go into Circuit Superstars it gets on this syncing data thing and stays there. Eventually it will stop but if I go to any selection in the menu it starts all over again.

So now I'm stuck.

Ive had no sound before on ps4/xbox consoles, had to turn tv off and on or change channel then go back to the hdmi that the console is plugged into that always worked for mine.

Ive had no sound before on ps4/xbox consoles, had to turn tv off and on or change channel then go back to the hdmi that the console is plugged into that always worked for mine.
This morning at 4am I thought I would try hooking the wheel back up to see what would happen. Put in Project Cars 2 and had sound right away. Then it started that "syncing data" again. Let that run for over 30 minutes until I stopped it. When I did and got back to the game menu I had sound. Quit the game and went back to the console menu, no sound.

So it appears if something is plugged into the USB port on the console there is sound on whatever that is but none otherwise.

I guess today I'm going to try a total console reset and take everything off and reinstall all of the games to see what that does.

Well I turned the Series X on to do the total reset and what do I hear? SOUND!!!!

So now apparently the sound has returned but now the games are stuck in the "syncing data" endless loop. We're at over 30 minutes for Circuit Superstars right now and it's still going. I can't try any other games right now until this stops but I'm afraid they're all going to have the same problem.

Well now there is no sound again. I got finished playing Project Cars 2 and exited out back to the home screen and was suspicious when I couldn't hear the cursor moving between tiles and indeed there is no sound again. I'll try the total power down again later tonight to see if that fixes it again.

Did you rule out the HDMI cable? try a different one?
I don't think that could be it but if all else fails I'll try it. But I've got sound if I plug a headset into the controller so that's what makes it strange. Plus it worked for about two hours then stopped again.

Also according to the person I talked to at Xbox support this afternoon on the phone, this is a known issue. She said they've had many calls over the last two days on this issue. So I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue. But it couldn't be a network issue could it?

Supposedly this is now being escalated up the Xbox support chain. Today I turned the console on and there was sound so I played F1 22. Once I got through with that and went back to the home screen, no sound. Turned on the controller to go into Circuit Superstars, no sound.

So I placed another call to Xbox support. Basically went through all the same steps we did last weekend which didn't work. So this person is sending it to the next level of support and they are going to call me back tomorrow.

Here's the scenarios when this happens. If I turn on the console and there is sound, I can play a digital game or the physical disc game. But once I quit that game and return to the home screen, sound goes away and will not come back.

Or if I turn on the console and there is no sound initially, I still can't play any digital game either with the controller or the racing wheel. BUT I can play Project Cars 2 with the physical disc and the sound comes back. Once I finish that game and go back to the home screen, there is no sound. While the disc is still in the console, I can re-enter Project Cars 2, the sound comes back.

So when there is no sound at console start up, digital games have no sound at all, but Project Cars 2 on physical disc does have sound. So I think that eliminates any HDMi cable possibilities.

Strange issue this, hope you fix it..
I didn't get my followup call from Xbox support today so I'll try again next Saturday.

But today at about noon I thought I would just check it ahead of the Xbox support call and just like yesterday, I had sound at start up. So I ran one race on Circuit Superstars, then quit the game and there was still sound on the main page. So I turned the console off. About 3 hours later I turned it back on with the Project Cars 2 wheel connected and I had sound. I played PC2 for about an hour. Quit the game and came back to the main page, no sound again.

I did go to Youtube searching for possible help. There isn't anything specific about no sound from the console but there are videos about no sound from saved clips. But on those videos there are a lot of people also complaining about no sound from the console in general like the problem I'm having. But there are no solutions found yet. Just suggestions about the same things I've already tried.

Did you rule out the HDMI cable? try a different one?
To update this thing. A guy at work suggested the same thing last week so I was going to go buy one. But my dumb self didn't realize I still had the same one I bought for the Xbox One X. How would I know, I only have to look at it every single morning since it's right in front of the bottled water I take to work each day. So I connected it that morning to try later after work. Got home, turned on the console and there was sound both for ACC and Circuit Superstars. A couple of days later tried it again and there was sound. Played F1 22 Saturday afternoon, sound. But when I quit the game back to the main menu, no sound.

Last night I turned it on again for Circuit Superstars, there was sound. But the next time I get to play which probably won't be until the weekend, the sound could disappear again. So as much as I hoped the HDMI cable was the fix, it wasn't and I'm back to square one again.

Back