Offline Physics / Online Physics

• Thread starter bolloman
  • 45 comments
HOW! ARE WE! SUPPOSED! TO KNOW!

The game isn't out yet, so there is no way we can answer your question. Seriously people...
Yeah the game's not out, how do we know it even exists? This whole forum could be a hoax.

I vote we outlaw any more questions about the game.

You all seem so certain that there were different physics for offline and online... is there somewhere actual proof for this because I can't say I've ever felt any difference??

You all seem so certain that there were different physics for offline and online... is there somewhere actual proof for this because I can't say I've ever felt any difference??
Without a doubt they were completely different up until an update...can't recall the exact number...2.something. Before that online had less grip and more oversteer.

I'd say it still has differences between the two, the cars just slip a bit more online (sometimes you can use it to your advantage). Going from WRS TT's (which are ran in practice offline) and then going straight into the WRS online races which use the same car, same rules etc. You can definitely feel the difference, it's not major anymore but it's still there.

Without a doubt they were completely different up until an update...can't recall the exact number...2.something. Before that online had less grip and more oversteer.
So I went and looked the release notes for each patch and only found this:
"Fixed an issue where the online control characteristics differed from the offline ones."
http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/GT5_Update_v2.09

Doesn't exactly explain whether it was a controller issue, physics issue or something else. Or how common it was.

So I went and looked the release notes for each patch and only found this:
"Fixed an issue where the online control characteristics differed from the offline ones."
http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/GT5_Update_v2.09

Doesn't exactly explain whether it was a controller issue, physics issue or something else. Or how common it was.
It was physics and it was with every car as far as I remember. The difference was dramatic. Tuning garages had specific online and offline tunes before that update. Cars tuned offline usually didn't work online.

On the other; it utterly tosses a spanner into tuners' gears (heh) by constantly fiddling with the physics, especially without documenting all the changes, as PD did in GT5. A setup for a car done during the early days can act completely different a year on, which is frustrating to no end.

This - and also...

Admins, website owners, organisors etc spend ALOT of time on equalised performance leagues/championships. Changing the physics (in GT5) had big impact on handicaps/equalisation, this often meant having to re-test each car to ensure the handicaps were still equal, and if not, adjusting them.

Try doing that when you have 10 or so classes/leagues/championships with anything from 10 to 50 cars in each.

Then, 2 months after getting everything sorted, PD go change the physics again.

Add what slipstream said (about setups) into this aswell - you end up spending alot more time running around in circles adjusting handicaps and setups than what you do racing.

i tryed some things offline, then online at same conditions.
different results.

offline- flip car - yes
online- flip car- no, a magic hand stop the car at 45°.

offline- on 3 wheels into corner - yes, works very well like in real(fwd car -stiff&low rear suspension)
online- on 3 wheels into corner- no - car just begin to slide - less bodyroll

offline- smooth ff feeling, wide range of control the car on limit.
online- ff feels little stiffer and less accurate.

online also all tyres have less/small grip range.

i tryed some things offline, then online at same conditions.
different results.

offline- flip car - yes
online- flip car- no, a magic hand stop the car at 45°.

offline- on 3 wheels into corner - yes, works very well like in real(fwd car -stiff&low rear suspension)
online- on 3 wheels into corner- no - car just begin to slide - less bodyroll

offline- smooth ff feeling, wide range of control the car on limit.
online- ff feels little stiffer and less accurate.

online also all tyres have less/small grip range.
I'm surprised that nobody talks about that ! I wanted to buy the game used but now I'm thinking to simply not buying it...

Set your cars up in a lobby. The tire grip is the biggest difference imo. Offline tire grip seems like everything is on rails. Hard to break traction. Online seems different. Traction isn't as pronounced for lack of a better term. Offline, every compound seemed like they could hold high loads. The only thing was high torque cars like the Viper would spin the tires on sports hards, anything above that was smooth as silk. Online they feel like comfort tires. It just takes some getting used to, but online tuning works offline. Not so much the opposite, though.

Offline (A-Spec) the game uses low grip reduction and strong slipstream/draft, if anybody wants to test them against each other they need to remember that.

Back