OK, I have to say something - but sorry for not saying anything

• Thread starter amar212
  • 969 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
No ps3 price cut.

Sony has issued its strongest statement yet to the growing chorus of gamers, publishers and analysts calling for a price cut on the PS3: "We do not have plans for a PS3 price drop, and any rumors to that effect are false and are the result of speculation." That's the statement the company gave Joystiq today, in an effort to squash buzz that the price drop was coming tomorrow. It's a bit different from the standard "we don't comment on speculation" response, and even clearer than the "we're focused on long-term profitability" line that Sony (NYSE: SNE) has been using in every interview.

Sony has contacted a number of blogs like Kotaku in advance of a "major" announcement tomorrow, but clearly, the news won't be about a cheaper PS3. As we noted before, the company is stuck between a rock and a hard place with its PS3 pricing: it's being outsold two-to-one by both the Xbox 360 and the Wii, but if Sony slashes the price to compete, it will dig itself further into the hole with manufacturing costs.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/30/AR2009033003259.html

So the price cut will not be the BIG news.

I wonder what will? Hmm.. Has Sony discovered what will happen on 2012?

or

PS3 SLIM? :D

Oh yeah, its the PSPTwo

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
My guesses:

And besides that third thing there is something else in the oven, I'd say it's the oven itself. Next gen PS3, half the size.

Thats what I thought it would be. The oven is over 2 years old now and its a like a wood fired brick pizza oven. Bring on the microwave!

As we noted before, the company is stuck between a rock and a hard place with its PS3 pricing: it's being outsold two-to-one by both the Xbox 360 and the Wii

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/30/AR2009033003259.html

It's being outsold two-to-one by both the Xbox 360??? :odd: (Is this that new math I always here about?)

It's not even being outsold 2-1 in North America... the only region where the 360 has regularly outsold the PS3. In fact if they want to single out a region, then in Japan, the PS3 has regularly outsold the 360 by more than 2-1 and has recently almost outsold the Wii 2-1 as well:

First week of sales in March:

WII = 335,177 (total), 172,806 (NA), 20,137 (JP)
PS3 = 221,448 (total), 82,307 (NA), 36,114 (JP)
360 = 199,533 (total), 88,845 (NA), 13,181 (JP)

(source)

Not only that, but the PS3 continues to beat the 360's own sales pace since both systems launched (124 weeks and counting), and by nearly 4 million units:

124weeksalescomp.jpg

(source)

So don't always trust what you read, especially when they don't offer any actual facts to back up their story. 👍

Bottom line, as much as the "media" and certain attention grabbing bloggers, love to paint a grim picture, the reality is the PS3 sales have been and continue to do just as well if not better than the 360. The Wii is different of course, but then again, it also has a much different target market... one that I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft would have also loved to have tapped into as well, but that would have meant releasing a very different low cost, low spec console.... and even then they would still probably not be able to topple Nintendo without any Mario games.

Last edited:
Yeah I really didn't care about numbers just wanted to share the news about no PS3 price cut. I mean I just posted what I read not that I guarantee if its correct or not :) But thanks for the chart I had no Idea that ps3 was doing better than 360. ;)

My fingers are still crossed that there'll be some new pants for my guy to wear in Home. Come on SONY!

Hell no, I expect seamless integration of the trousers at any time. For me, the home experience would be all sewn up by a pants upgrade, I mean, it'd really give it a leg up. But hopefully the upgrade doesn't require really deep pockets...

I gotta stop thinking of these ideas off the cuff though.

Yeah I really didn't care about numbers just wanted to share the news about no PS3 price cut. I mean I just posted what I read not that I guarantee if its correct or not :) But thanks for the chart I had no Idea that ps3 was doing better than 360. ;)

No worries. In fact, you'd be surprised how many are not aware of the fact that the PS3 has a faster sales pace than the 360, but also that the PS3 has more exclusive games released since it launched (almost 150 and counting, and more than 50 already announced for the coming year), and of those games, has more of them listed in the Top 80-100% critical ratings by MetaCritic.

Combine that with the fact that Microsoft has been laying off a few thousand employees from their gaming division and dismantling a few high profile first party developers and canceling game projects. And that the 360 continues to be plagued with RRoD, disc scratching and other issues as well as new E74 Error issues. :ouch:

The idea that the PS3 is some how in serious trouble seems rather odd to me... but I'm sure it makes for great attention grabbing headlines.

Last edited:
Hell no, I expect seamless integration of the trousers at any time. For me, the home experience would be all sewn up by a pants upgrade, I mean, it'd really give it a leg up. But hopefully the upgrade doesn't require really deep pockets...

I gotta stop thinking of these ideas off the cuff though.

:lol: Yeah, a new pair of pants in Home would help me get back into it one leg at a time.:)

There's some info about restructuring Sony in Sony's japanese website. If that's the big announcement, then I don't know what to say.

@ Digital Nitrate

Well, this is the mainstream media, who often get everything backwards. After all, they all love how Obama is bankrupting America.

Anyway, I doubt this is some April Fools Eve stunt by SONY. If it is, they'd better make up for it pretty quickly with some actual news. But on a happier note, E3 is less than 64 days away if my math is right. ;)

Maybe they'll announce that GT5 is in fact a gigantic april fools joke and that the series ended with Prologue.

Maybe they'll announce that GT5 is in fact a gigantic april fools joke and that the series ended with Prologue.

No, they'll tell us it's coming out in a month, then on April 2nd tell us THAT was an April fool's and it's not coming until 2011.

No, they'll tell us it's coming out in a month, then on April 2nd tell us THAT was an April fool's and it's not coming until 2011.
I really don't know witch is the worst...:crazy:
:idea:I think tomorrow I will not surf the Internet...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! Wow, just wow.

They never really said its going to be a big announcement, Kotaku did it and even they had the possibility of the PS2 pricecut in their "news".
If you guys imagine things that arent there its your fault.

Yep and also there, the only one stating "a big PS3 announcement" is the autor of the article...

Sweet, I'm totally getting on for the Uni house next year. Twisted Metal Black, TS:FP, Pro Evo, Fifa multiplayer fun.

Is it obvious I haven't played Gran Turismo in a while?

That is ****ing up... who cares? and thats the big announcement???

DAMN April 1 is tomorrow.... Shame on Sony... I´m sure MS is laughing...

That is ****ing up... who cares? and thats the big announcement???

DAMN April 1 is tomorrow.... Shame on Sony... I´m sure MS is laughing...

As are all the websites that claimed this was a big announcement even though Sony never did, just to get you to click on their sites (which is after all how they make their money)... you know, the same ones that have had a long history of creating hype and predictions that never came true. :indiff:

If you don't want to get fooled, simply ignore all the hype, and wait for actual announcements from said company. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back