ORCA - Coming Soon: SILVIA RM SPEC CUP!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,150 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, i don't want to interrupt the discussion on Goats (weird), but I sent a F.R. to Join ORCA Champs (still not accepted), but could not find ORCA spot1, and is their a link that could send me to a thread to bring me up to speed on where you guys are on getting this league going?

sorry, i don't want to interrupt the discussion on Goats (weird), but I sent a F.R. to Join ORCA Champs (still not accepted), but could not find ORCA spot1, and is their a link that could send me to a thread to bring me up to speed on where you guys are on getting this league going?

Sorry, I haven't been on the PS3 for a couple days to accept FR's. We only run in the ORCA_Champ lounge, you don't need to worry about the other ones.

I'm working on the thread now, will hopefully be up some time today. Stay tuned.

After our test races Friday I'm going to make a change to the schedule. We raced at Tsukuba and it was just a parade, almost impossible to pass even in a long race. We then moved to Grand Valley East and had some of the best racing I've ever experienced. So Round 1 is going to be changed to GVE and Tsukuba will be stricken from the schedule.

Also, just gonna toss this out there, I really think we should run on Race Hard tires. I'm not making pitstops mandatory but I was hoping the length of the races would make them necessary. After some long runs on the Sport Soft tires they just don't seem to wear out and I can see all the races taking place with no pitstops. We all know the racing tires wear out pretty quickly so there'd be no doubt we'd need to make a stop. I've driven the Silvia with both compounds and there's really very little difference between the SS and RH tires, other than the wear rate. I know race tires aren't popular but in this case I think they make sense, but I wanted to get feedback on this option before making a decision. I'm fine with staying on SS tires, they're just not going to produce the type of racing I was envisioning.

Tsukuba is a parade in most cars...lol...that's a good change in the schedule.

RH tires last a long time too, especially on a car with this little power and weight accompanied by downforce. Tire wear is mainly a function of downforce, weight and power. I've gotten 15 laps on RH tires for example on heavier, much faster cars at Trial Mountain. On street cars of similar speed I can get 12++ laps on RS tires at most medium length courses. I think the tire wear on GT500 cars is very high and a lot of guys base their tire wear speculation on that, but truth is, race tires do last quite a long time if you take care of them and don't overdrive the car.

So you may not need a pitstop on RH tires either. Give us a solid idea on race lengths and we can do some testing. Be nice if it came down to a real strategy decision late in the race or if taking something off your pace to make the tires reach the end was a viable alternative.

RH tires last a long time too, especially on a car with this little power and weight accompanied by downforce. Tire wear is mainly a function of downforce, weight and power. I've gotten 15 laps on RH tires for example on heavier, much faster cars at Trial Mountain. On street cars of similar speed I can get 12++ laps on RS tires at most medium length courses. I think the tire wear on GT500 cars is very high and a lot of guys base their tire wear speculation on that, but truth is, race tires do last quite a long time if you take care of them and don't overdrive the car.

So you may not need a pitstop on RH tires either. Give us a solid idea on race lengths and we can do some testing. Be nice if it came down to a real strategy decision late in the race or if taking something off your pace to make the tires reach the end was a viable alternative.

In my testing I noticed a bit more tire wear on the RH tires than the SS. Not a huge difference but enough to make pitstops necessary. I did 25 laps on the SS tires the other night and still had 3/4 tires left on front and back with no noticeable loss in grip. To me, that's too much life for the tire.

The races area all going to be around 45-50 minutes in length and I think for a race that long one pitstop should be necessary. But on the SS tires it probably won't be necessary. Proposed lap counts are:

GVE - 36laps
Motegi Oval - 75laps
la Sarthe - 12 laps
Motegi Road-Full - 23 laps

I'll be doing some testing tonight if anybody's available.

Sarthe is pretty easy on tires and I expect Motegi probably will be too, given it's flat and there aren't a lot of low speed corners. I would assume tire wear on the oval will be pretty high since you're cornering half the time and GVE is probably average on tires. Hopefully a pit stop will be necessary on at least a couple of the tracks. If not, I wouldn't be opposed to a mandatory pit stop:)

I'll be out of town the next couple of days...hopefully get some testing in when I get back.

GVE eats front tires pretty quickly, unless you use smth like 0/10 BB. Not sure zero pits would be a winning strategy. IIRC pit delta is around 30-35 seconds, so for a pit to make sense you'd only have to be less than 2 seconds slower on average on laps 19-36 for no-pit to make sense. Needs more testing, but at the moment it sounds like tire stretegy won't be obvious.

Im around tonight, what time?

In my testing I noticed a bit more tire wear on the RH tires than the SS. Not a huge difference but enough to make pitstops necessary. I did 25 laps on the SS tires the other night and still had 3/4 tires left on front and back with no noticeable loss in grip. To me, that's too much life for the tire.

The races area all going to be around 45-50 minutes in length and I think for a race that long one pitstop should be necessary. But on the SS tires it probably won't be necessary. Proposed lap counts are:

GVE - 36laps
Motegi Oval - 75laps
la Sarthe - 12 laps
Motegi Road-Full - 23 laps

I'll be doing some testing tonight if anybody's available.

GVE eats front tires pretty quickly, unless you use smth like 0/10 BB. Not sure zero pits would be a winning strategy. IIRC pit delta is around 30-35 seconds, so for a pit to make sense you'd only have to be less than 2 seconds slower on average on laps 19-36 for no-pit to make sense. Needs more testing, but at the moment it sounds like tire stretegy won't be obvious.

When I was doing my testing I was setting pretty much the same lap times on laps 20-25 as I was on laps 1-5 so being less than 2 seconds slower on average is a possibility.

Im around tonight, what time?

Probably after 8pm EDT.

BrandonW77
New thread is up and running. Click the registration button and put your info in there

Would have liked to participate (as previous stated), but those schedules are just too late for us Euro-drivers...
My best of luck to you all...!

:cheers:

Would have liked to participate (as previous stated), but those schedules are just too late for us Euro-drivers...
My best of luck to you all...!

:cheers:

Sorry Mikael, we did make several attempts at a Euro series but just couldn't get the turnout we need to sustain it. But never fear, I'm going to propose using Saturday as a type of Track-Day were we can re-run the races from that week just for fun (no points) or even just pick a random track, so anybody that can't make the weekly races can still participate and have fun in the Silvia RM. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back