Ambient 0-100%
Opponents 0-100%
Horn 0-100%

Patch 2.04 now has: Wind @ %300, and all else at 5%
(stereo floorstanding speaker setup)

raced 5 laps, and turned the game off.

this update is Gone with the Wind.

/sad

Yes, I like this idea. Especially because it would allow you to turn down the noise on the terrible full custom transmission.

Ummm a full race spec transmission is noisy as heck. It's call the Real Driving Simulator for a reason. besides you can change the view to get rid of the transmission noise somewhat.
Here's a video showing how loud they are in real life.
http://jalopnik.com/5880895/screami...ride-around-daytona?tag=rolex24hoursofdaytona

Congratulations. You have just found the only thing that can drown out the screams of a women.

Must get a racing tranny installed in my house. Until thats possible, I'll just keep playing GT5 with the surround sound set as loud as i'll dare to have it.

For the transmission, they should simply add a modification which allows to change the final drive only, so that you get the benefit of kind of limited gear ratio tuning without the added noise.

Yes, racing transmissions are loud and annoying. There's always someone waiting to post a video proving that. But there are many more videos that will show that they are not always that overpowering. It varies by the car. It does in GT5 too but not as much.

This is largely due to no engines in GT5 making any noise other than some whirring. All combustion sound incorrectly comes from the tailpipe exit, and that doesn't have enough ambient range, so other noises drown it out and it disappears not far from its source. I tend to think letting us(or PD doing it) increase the range of that sound would solve the recent problem of 1-speaker sound on many cars, and would greatly reduce gear whine complaints.

Wind noise when outside a real car is also very loud and annoying, but with proper mic setup and/or filtering, that can be easily tuned out of on-board cameras to make those views much nicer on TV. That wouldn't be unreasonable to allow in GT5 as well, as you do probably want people to enjoy the experience.

Hell, I just want audio opitions within the start menu so I don't have to exit offline to adjust car sounds to hear people :\

For the transmission, they should simply add a modification which allows to change the final drive only, so that you get the benefit of kind of limited gear ratio tuning without the added noise.

This would be a great thing too, and not unrealistic.

As for the actual suggestion in the first post, I'd be ok with it if for no other reason than it would make a lot of people happy, though I would like to see an option added for the range of the "engine" sound as I mentioned. I forgot and then ran out of room to say so the first time.

And then there's one basic point: The sounds in GT5 are not at all true-life. No one can honestly argue otherwise. When they are exactly like the real thing, we can then have an argument about whether letting people customize them(to be thus less perfect) is acceptable. Until then, adjusting things to people's liking is hardly ruining anything.

Funny, I thought about the same thing a few days ago OR let us choose the sound we prefer; inside, outside, chase view, roof cam etc.)

You must be playing a different GT 5. The wind noise is much much quieter. So much so, that it is hard at times to tell the difference between being in the draft or not.

You must be playing a different GT 5. The wind noise is much much quieter. So much so, that it is hard at times to tell the difference between being in the draft or not.

It depends on the view you use. Wind seems a bit lower from the cabin and bumper view, although I've had no difficulty hearing it whatsoever. When I switched to the roof it was so loud it nearly did drown everything else out. I barely noticed it at all in chase view but the exhaust is loudest there too and might mask it somewhat.

I couldn't agree more! Especially concerning wind and oppenent cars. I seriously hope PD see this, it isn't a huge issue to be honest, but one that is quite frustrating and I'm sure a lot of us would love the option.

BIG UPS to Lambob on the audio-level slider options. Maybe split the "Engine" option into two:

Engine Bay (includes intake) 0-100%
Exhaust 0-100%

also if we could crank up/down the crowd noise that would be cool. Places with big grandstands should emit a roaring crowd sound during exciting moments, and places like Eiffel, Germany Course-Creator tracks need to take that silly crowd-cheering sound clip that gets played over and over and push it off a cliff! Wtf is that mess?

^ lets not forget the cricket noises, when the 30s countdown expires after a race is won.

For some reason I do believe that someone from PD does read the forum posts on this website so maybe they might implement this idea in update 2.05.

yep! Should be super easy to implement too. I've got an idea: In addition to the different transmission upgrades, you should be able to purchase just a final drive upgrade. So your muscle cars would still be 4 speeds but instead of 110mph they could hit 160 or whatever you set it to. The big advantage with this setup being NO WHINY TRANSMISSION noises.

Yes, add the sliders. Some street boxes have, if not adjustability, at least a choice of ratios, and I'd rather hear a V8 than a cartoon pony.

PD, PLEASE make Sound adjustment SLIDERS for:

Engine 0-100%
Transmission 0-100%
Tires 0-100%
Wind 0-100%
Crash 0-100%
Ambient 0-100%
Opponents 0-100%
Horn 0-100%

(stereo floorstanding speaker setup)

raced 5 laps, and turned the game off.

this update is Gone with the Wind.

/sad

Now while I am all for options when it comes to the sounds, you are way off in your assessment.

I use the Sony 7.1 Stereo Headset and the sound is near perfect. The problems you are experiencing with the sound inbalance might be isolated to you alone (and maybe a few others).

I was curious about it, so I just checked:

Now while I am all for options when it comes to the sounds, you are way off in your assessment.

I use the Sony 7.1 Stereo Headset and the sound is near perfect. The problems you are experiencing with the sound inbalance might be isolated to you alone (and maybe a few others).

I'd agree with this. I've got an Onkyo 6.1 and have it set to Small Theater. I took the Premium XJR-9 to Le Sarthe, and I didn't notice any changes in the wind noise from how it was before. It sounded fine to me.

I'd agree with this. I've got an Onkyo 6.1 and have it set to Small Theater. I took the Premium XJR-9 to Le Sarthe, and I didn't notice any changes in the wind noise from how it was before. It sounded fine to me.

I tell you truth, I am so in love with the Sony 7.1, I will not go back to playing GT5 without it.👍

Toronado

It sounds the same as before you're right, people think it's louder for some reason when it's not.. That being said, they did increase the wind noise in a previous update, I think 2.02 and that's what a lot of the complaints including my own are about, it isn't a huge issue but it can be rather annoying, especially in a quiet car.

This is a good thread! We really hope PD can do this adjustment slider so that we can fully controlled the sound effect and make it much more pleasant and engaging... This is really the main weakness of GT5 - sound

Ummm a full race spec transmission is noisy as heck. It's call the Real Driving Simulator for a reason. besides you can change the view to get rid of the transmission noise somewhat.
Here's a video showing how loud they are in real life.
http://jalopnik.com/5880895/screami...ride-around-daytona?tag=rolex24hoursofdaytona

There is a difference between a somewhat livable noise (which is what we have in real life) and just a horrible noise (which is what we have in GT5).

That the transmission sound is just as noisy in real life is not an excuse.

Back