PGA / LPGA / personal golf

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 978 comments

Nicksfix

OSU Buckeyes baby !!!
Premium
United States
Buckeye Nation
Did not see a thread dedicated to golf,as I myself am one ( well try )( I have my shining moments out on the course) (LOL).So how about a discussion forum for this.It can be about pro golf,or a personal golf story if you like,anything golf related.

1. Tiger Woods - did the PGA miss him this year ? Can he came back and be the Tiger of old,or will he favor his knee ?

2. Annika Soremstam - Will the LPGA miss her as she departs ? Who do you feel will step up and take control of the LPGA , Lorena Achoa ?

3. Michelle Wie - graduating " Q " school , is she finally ready to step it up a notch and play full time golf now ?

4. Best golf course in the world - Pinehurst , Firestone , Pebble Beach , St. Andrews ?

5. Most famous shot in golf ( should be interesting ) - Tigers bunker shot to seal the deal ? Mickelson's putt to finally win the big one ?

Any thoughts comments or you own personal questions , please post.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread.

I play golf, but rarely follow it regularly. I just tend to watch the Masters and a few other big tournaments.

The most I can say on that is that I think Tiger will take a few years to be back to his old self.

Also, I am interested to see how Michelle Wie looks when she goes full time. She has some maturing to do, but I think that she can be great. Perhaps she will fill in Annika's shoes in the next few years? I think that she has the potential to be the female Tiger.

As for my own golfing game. I hit small dimpled balls with sticks that have club heads, but no one will call what I do golf. Well, maybe if we were playing in some weird Caddyshack world. I have a wicked slice that can actually leave a driving range. I hit a cow once. Unfortunately my slice is not reliable so I can't counter it with my aim.

But when I do hit it straight, and in the air, I am good for 150-200 yards. I think my short shots and chips are my strength. At least they are the only thing I am accurate with. In fact, on short drives I have been known to just tee off with a nine iron or even a wedge and swing for all I am worth. The lack of distance is often made up by not having to hit out of the rough, or taking the penalty for going out of bounds.

When I started real golfing I thought putting would be my strength, but it seems that I can only putt well when I have windmills and angled bumpers. Why golf courses haven't themed their greens yet, I'll never know, but it would make my life immensely easier.

Fortunately all my friends suck at golf too, so when we play we tend to just play best ball.

EDIT: What was John Daly's suspension for? I always liked him. He was proof positive that drinking and golf can go fine together.

John Daly says he has been suspended for six months by the PGA TOUR for conduct that brought unwelcome publicity, including a night in a North Carolina jail to sober up.

"Is it fair that I got suspended? It's not fair in reality, but it's probably fair in perception," he told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

This is the second time the TOUR has suspended the two-time major champion, along with at least two other times he agreed to take time off to get his life in order. The 42-year-old Daly called this the lowest point in his wild 18-year career.

http://://www.pgatour.com

I too have always like big John , I usually go to the NEC held at Firestone CC in Akron Oh. , his fan base is huge , 2nd to Tiger,here is something cool :

I saw J.D. in a sand trap,about 70 yards out,holding a cell phone to his ear,Marlboro light cigarette hanging out of his mouth,grasping a wedge with 1 hand,lofted it out and put it within 2 feet of the hole.. UNREAL SHOT !

Last edited:
Daly needs to get counseling for his addictive personality. Even when he has been sober he admits that he then became addicted to gambling. He always seems to need something and until he can kick that he will likely have problems.

If this is truly his lowest point then perhaps he will start to seek some help.

What amazes me though is how well he can perform despite this. Golfers seem to be truly dedicated and able to overcome problems. I mean, just look at how well Tiger played when his knee was bothering him.

He's been through re-hab , several times. He just gets with the wrong crowd when he is out and about.He needs to just stay in his Hotel room and watch movies or something ( LOL )

Michelle Wie is going to have her hands full of Lorena Ochoa, ( IMO ) , the next Annika.She needs to buckle down and start taking the game more seriously,if she wants to be a contender.She does have talent,she need to use it

I think Tiger will come out swinging hard for the '09 season , he wants to be back on top.

As far as my own golf game goes , I can shoot in the mid to low 80's , avg. drive 275-300 yds. with a 10 degree Cleveland Launcher 460cc. Love my 60 degree Cleveland CG10wedge,pretty darn accurate with this club when I am within range.Titleist Pro V-1 balls are a must.

He's been through re-hab , several times. He just gets with the wrong crowd when he is out and about.He needs to just stay in his Hotel room and watch movies or something ( LOL )
Hotel rooms have mini bars, and cleaning ladies hate scooping handfuls of tiny bottles into the trash.

As far as my own golf game goes , I can shoot in the mid to low 80's , avg. drive 275-300 yds. with a 10 degree Cleveland Launcher 460cc. Love my 60 degree Cleveland CG10wedge,pretty darn accurate with this club when I am within range.Titleist Pro V-1 balls are a must.
Low 80s? I'm jealous. I'm lucky to stay under 100.

Part of my problem may be that I am using used clubs that I got from a friend when I first started golfing. The only new club I have bought was a putter, and that was because the one I got looked like it came from a mini-golf place after ten years of use. It didn't even have the little center balance mark on the head.

My driver is too long for my short height and I know I need a new one, and probably could use just a whole new set of clubs, or at least need to replace the grips on half of them. I dread it though, because it took me weeks to find a putter I was comfortable with. I remember every time I saw one I would pick it up, make a few test swings, test the balance of the shaft, then the balance of the head.

Everything else I have is new. New glove, new bag, new bag cart, two new hats, new towel. Now I just need new clubs. Although, even my old clubs look awesome in my fancy University of Kentucky golf bag.

The same friend that gave me the clubs also got a new bag last year. While his isn't nearly as nice looking as mine, it does have a hidden built-in six can holder with insulated lining. That has definitely not helped either of our games, but it does make them much more fun.

Golfing is one of those sports where no matter how much you suck it is still fun. In the summer I will go to a driving range at least once a week after work and have been known to see a storm coming in and refuse to quit until it actually begins to rain. If I am in the covered section even that hasn't stopped me before.

You would be surprised what a set of grips will do !!! Winn grips are awesome

You say you are small in height ? Most of the time when you go to a golf shop to buy clubs , they are usually to long to begin with. I am 5'11" and when I got my driver,I had it fitted for my height,most reputable shops will do this at no additional charge if you purchase the club from them.

My clubs are 4 years old, all Clevelands ( TA6 ), except for putter which is an Oddesey 2 ball white hot,ALL my wedges are Clevelands also , CG 10 series , and also a Cleveland Halo hybrid club,to replace my 2 and 3 irons , I can't hit a 2 or 3 iron to save my *** (lol).

Scoring in the 80's took lots of practice (would love to shoot a round in the 70's). Playing with the right people who can offer some much valued tips as far as your game goes also is a big help.When I first started I was in the 100 teens,practice,got into low 100's,practice,got into high 90's,practice,got into low 90's,practice,got into the high 80's,practice,now in the low to mid 80's.It's coming- 70's I hope.

I only know one person who is good at golf and can still play. My mom's boss used to be an instructor, but he got arthritis and can't play now. So, now the only person I have is my mother-in-law. She teaches a women's class off and on at the local golf club, but she is annoying to play with. She critiques too much.

She is trying to help, but she gets so into critiquing that it no longer becomes fun and I dread every swing I make. I end up not focusing and getting worse whenever she is with me.

I do need more practice though. I'm not sure I made it out more than once this past summer.

I'll have to look into getting clubs fit to my height (5'8"-9"). I usually just go by a new and used sporting goods store.

Every year the PGA sponsors a free , 1 time lesson , supported by your local golf course.
Depending on the course it is usually a 1/2 hr. lesson , and you can get a freebie , compliments of the PGA. I did this once because I was fading ( right side pull ), it got corrected by my local golf course pro , it was in the way I was gripping the club. She ( yes, a she , Renee Powell , former LPGA pro ) , saw this right off the bat , took my hands into hers , and placed them on the grips the proper way , and presto , fade was cured. Every once in a while , I will still fade one away , and I just step up , take a slower approach , double check my grip position , and I can remedy it.

Buick Invitational
Thursday Feb 5 – Sunday Feb 8, 2009
Torrey Pines Golf Course · La Jolla, Calif

There is a Tiger lurking in the field of players , his 1st appearance in '09 , is he ready ?

How about this one ?
Augusta National invites teen to play in Masters.

Japanese teenager Ryo Ishikawa received a special invitation Thursday from Augusta National, putting the 17-year-old from Japan in line to become the second-youngest player to compete in the Masters.

One day after Ishikawa received exemptions from three PGA TOUR events, the Japanese star received the biggest one of all.

He will be the youngest player at the Masters since Tommy Jacobs competed as an amateur in 1952 at 17 years, one month and 21 days. Ishikawa, a senior in high school who already has won twice in Japan, turned 17 four months ago.
Augusta National awarded Ishikawa the invitation it sets aside for international players. It has gone to Asian-born players every year since 2003, when no such exemption was offered. Greg Norman was the last non-Asian to received the "special foreign invitation" in 2002.

"At a young age, Mr. Ishikawa has shown the skill and competitiveness to make him a deserving recipient of this invitation," club chairman Billy Payne said. "We see this as an opportunity to expose an emerging talent on a world stage and fulfill our objective to grow the game. I am optimistic that his participation in the Masters will inspire younger players and increase interest in golf in Asia and beyond."

Known as the "Shy Prince" in Japan for his unassuming demeanor, Ishikawa made history two years ago when he won the Munsingwear Open KSB Cup on the Japan Golf Tour, becoming the youngest player to win on one of the six major tours around the world.

He turned pro last year and won the mynavi ABC Championship to go along with six top 10s and ranking No. 5 on Japan's money list.

LPGA , set to tee it up for their 1st official event in '09 Feb. 12th - 14th : SBS Open at Turtle Bay.Kahuku, Oahu, Hawaii.
Who will take Annika Sorenstams defending title away ? Angela Park , Laura Diaz , Kristin Kim , Karen Stupples , Paula Creamer , Natalie Gulbis , Lorena Ochoa , Morgan Pressel ? Other ? Should be interesting.
The '09 LPGA Tour season should prove to be interesting.

What is with the young golfers getting national attention from special invites lately?

Yay. A golf thread! haha. I play Golf and I got Nike's Ignites Irons 4-PW and 3 Hybrid. Also Nike Sumo 1 and 3 woods. And a Nike SV Tour Black SW. And yes, a Nike Bag. lol. Actually played my best game ever last Saturday. I changed up my stance a bit and I hit the sweet spot consistently.

nike_pd_long.jpg

Got these on Tuesday.
Woot. Going back today to get a new glove. Beat my old one to death. :lol:

Mines

You like the Nike balls ?
I have tried them , me and a friend swapped sleeves of balls once to try out ( Nike's for Titleist's ), I had mixed emotions about them. To me,they did not travel as far off the tee as my Titleist Pro V-1's,about a 20 yd. differential. On the other hand I kind of liked them ( Nike ) from like 70-80 yds. and in with a wedge , seemed to have a little softer feel on the short game side of it.Maybe it's just me :lol: , who knows. Not a bad ball though 👍 You also have to look at this aspect of the ball as well : Titleist balls about $40.00 p/doz , Nike balls about $25.00 p/doz . $15.00 difference , is it worth it ? In my opinion , yes , I like the added distance I get with the Titleist's.

BTW - What kind of scores do you put up ?

Last edited:
Mines

You like the Nike balls ?
I have tried them , me and a friend swapped sleeves of balls once to try out ( Nike's for Titleist's ), I had mixed emotions about them. To me,they did not travel as far off the tee as my Titleist Pro V-1's,about a 20 yd. differential. On the other hand I kind of liked them ( Nike ) from like 70-80 yds. and in with a wedge , seemed to have a little softer feel on the short game side of it.Maybe it's just me :lol: , who knows. Not a bad ball though 👍 You also have to look at this aspect of the ball as well : Titleist balls about $40.00 p/doz , Nike balls about $25.00 p/doz . $15.00 difference , is it worth it ? In my opinion , yes , I like the added distance I get with the Titleist's.

BTW - What kind of scores do you put up ?

Also depends on the player. Tiger Woods uses the Nike One Black while another Nike sponsored golfer uses the Platinum Nike One's. One is control and feel while the other is distance and range. This is the first time I'm using Nike PD Balls. I usually use Nike's Juice, Ignites or Callaways.
I really need to give those Titleist's a try.
It depends what course, I'm more of a precision shot instead of long range. So the place I play at is my kind of Course. I get around 70-75. Around a Handicap of 7.

How about you? What does you scorecard look like until you hit those string of bad hits and you scorecard looks like it's been through a shredder. :lol:

How about you? What does you scorecard look like until you hit those string of bad hits and you scorecard looks like it's been through a shredder. :lol:

Low to mid 80's (course pending),then there are those days where I would like to put scorecard through a shredder :lol:
Here's where I usually play,my 5 favorite courses.We usually play blues or blacks depending on where we are.
Browse the course maps,some interesting golf holes here in Ohio

http://www.sablecreekgolf.com/index.htm ( favorite )
http://www.thelegends.com/images/title.gif
http://www.skylandpinesgolfcourse.com/
http://www.zoargolf.com/
http://raintreegc.reachlocal.net/index.php

If you get a chance,try the Pro V1,let me know what you think of it

Low to mid 80's (course pending),then there are those days where I would like to put scorecard through a shredder :lol:
Here's where I usually play,my 5 favorite courses.We usually play blues or blacks depending on where we are.
Browse the course maps,some interesting golf holes here in Ohio

http://www.sablecreekgolf.com/index.htm ( favorite )
http://www.thelegends.com/images/title.gif
http://www.skylandpinesgolfcourse.com/
http://www.zoargolf.com/
http://raintreegc.reachlocal.net/index.php

Omg. These are beautiful courses. I like them a lot. Dang it. I want to play a round now! :lol: And the prices are CHEAP!

These are the ones I play. When I get the chance.

DSC00146.jpg

Carolina Golf Club

hb-hole-4.jpg

Heron Bay Golf Course Omg expensive but soooooo worth it. I have to play a very good game the previous weekend to play here. And I have a friend who lives in Heron Bay who can get me in at 40% off. Connections rule. Hahaha But it's still the Winter Rates which is 40% off $120 a person! $48 isn't that bad. ^_^ Ah, who am I kidding, That's still a ton of ka-ching.

And the not too fancy but good enough for me course. :)

springtreeGolf1_600.jpg

Springtree Golf

If you get a chance,try the Pro V1,let me know what you think of it

I will. 👍

Now I'm reading reviews for the Nike PD balls I just bought and I'm thinking of returning it and getting a set of Nike ONE Platinum. A couple more bucks, no biggy, and on sale.

296425_im_____0_gsi

I have used multiple balls in the past including the Nike power distance soft ball. I switched to this ball because I was given a couple of sleeves. I must say that this ball is really hard and is not very playable on greens.

Tough to control distance due to hardness of outer cover

Last edited:
I am in love with Heron Bay , OMG just awesome 👍 . We have courses up here that are also in that same price range $125.00 - $150.00 :ouch: ( wallet takes a hit on that one ). Once a year , the guys I golf with will splurge for a high dollar round of golf , just to say that we have been there and played it , but for the most parts an average round up here ( 18 with cart ) ranges between $25 - $40 , which really is not bad for some of these courses.We also have some "goatpath" courses up here that they should pay you just for pulling in their lot , terrible terrible courses :yuck:

💡💡💡 Hmmmmmm ........golf vacation @ Heron Bay YEAH

Heres one for you , did you ever see this ? http://www.blackdiamondgolfcourse.com/index.htm

Look at hole #7 !!!! THAT IS NOT A MISPRINT , it is a par 6 :ouch:. it is a relatively easy birdie hole if played right,eagle a little tough though.

This is an awesome course to play also , you have got to be pretty accurate on this course ( some leeway here , not much though ) , when you get in trouble here , believe me , you get in trouble.

Ever record a hole in 1 ? (not I) , been within inches on occasion , a foot or two now and then , 3-4-5 feet here and there, but not recorded one yet. I feel one in my future :lol:

I have recorded a double eagle once : driver , hybrid (6 feet from hole), putt. I about had the big one (like Fred Sanford does :lol:) when I saw the second shot was dancing on the floor , really thought I was going to have the big one when we got up on the green and seen that it was 6 feet away (:nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:) putt - 1st attempt at a double eagle ever , palms sweaty , mind running rampid on upcoming shot , drained it-little left to right breaker fell right in - WOW , my most remembered shot ever ( I kept that ball , it's on my bookcase 👍)

Going back the the ball subject - ever played the Bridgestone B330 ? I have two sleeves of these a buddy gave me to try , they are not bad , a super soft feel coming off the club , descent travel , generate a lot of spin for the short game and greenside shots for that stop shot , it's a nice ball as well.

I am in love with Heron Bay , OMG just awesome 👍 . We have courses up here that are also in that same price range $125.00 - $150.00 :ouch: ( wallet takes a hit on that one ). Once a year , the guys I golf with will splurge for a high dollar round of golf , just to say that we have been there and played it , but for the most parts an average round up here ( 18 with cart ) ranges between $25 - $40 , which really is not bad for some of these courses.We also have some "goatpath" courses up here that they should pay you just for pulling in their lot , terrible terrible courses :yuck:

💡💡💡 Hmmmmmm ........golf vacation @ Heron Bay YEAH

Heres one for you , did you ever see this ? http://www.blackdiamondgolfcourse.com/index.htm

Look at hole #7 !!!! THAT IS NOT A MISPRINT , it is a par 6 :ouch:. it is a relatively easy birdie hole if played right,eagle a little tough though.

This is an awesome course to play also , you have got to be pretty accurate on this course ( some leeway here , not much though ) , when you get in trouble here , believe me , you get in trouble.

Ever record a hole in 1 ? (not I) , been within inches on occasion , a foot or two now and then , 3-4-5 feet here and there, but not recorded one yet. I feel one in my future :lol:

I have recorded a double eagle once : driver , hybrid (6 feet from hole), putt. I about had the big one (like Fred Sanford does :lol:) when I saw the second shot was dancing on the floor , really thought I was going to have the big one when we got up on the green and seen that it was 6 feet away (:nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:) putt - 1st attempt at a double eagle ever , palms sweaty , mind running rampid on upcoming shot , drained it-little left to right breaker fell right in - WOW , my most remembered shot ever ( I kept that ball , it's on my bookcase 👍)

Going back the the ball subject - ever played the Bridgestone B330 ? I have two sleeves of these a buddy gave me to try , they are not bad , a super soft feel coming off the club , descent travel , generate a lot of spin for the short game and greenside shots for that stop shot , it's a nice ball as well.

It's a must! haha.

Yeah, that Hole # 7 is a eye opener for sure. You have such a more bigger selection of courses than I do here within a reasonable distance. Heron Bay is seriously right around the corner where I live. Everywhere else is 20 mins or more. But worth it non-the-less!

Havn't had a Eagle yet. Tons of Birdies though, but no eagles. Sinking those puts in when it REALLY counts is something else. You know how the saying goes, " Hit for the show, put for the money!"

I really want to try the Bridgstone ball. Have wanted to try it for a long time now. Just grr..

Playing tomorrow at 9 AM EST. Bright eyed and bushy tailed. :)

I'm going to record and see how I do this time. ^_^

So how did you do today ?

I'm jealous :lol:. It's 18 degress up here,a foot of snow on the ground,stuck inside :grumpy: , and your out there golfing.

Whats wrong with this picture ? :lol::lol::lol: Hope ya had fun 👍

Last edited:
Welp, Let's start with the first 9. Did a fantastic job and was only +4 par. Made a couple birdies and then*ugh* 2 double boogies.

And then..there was...the back 9..*shivers*+9 par!. Omg. I usually do the best in the back 9 but yesterday, I just wasn't feeling it. At all! I usually get +3-4 in the back 9. Hole #11 was atrocious. I just couldn't get it in the hole. And then there was saving glory, but all too late. #17 is a straight hit. Almost 300 yards and I hit it, hooked a little left, I was like" O know, I'm gonna have to maneuver around these stupid palms. And then, it struck a palm sending it right out in front of the green. All was needed was a chip and put. Birdie time. As for the balls, No feel for around the greens. Not soft at all. but when it came to sluggin one out of the Earth's atmosphere then those are the balls for the job.

Hey, if you can't play up there, take a trip down here and we'll play a round at Heron Bay! :cheers:

soooooo an 85 on a par 72 ? not real bad.
Whats bad is what you just said,you go and make a couple of birdies , followed up by a couple of double bogeys :ouch::grumpy: 👎, man that takes the wind right out your sails.Believe me,I've had those shining moments as well, birdie , birdie, birdie , triple bogey, just defeated the purpose of scoring triple birdies :yuck:. Oh well , it's the good shots you remember as well , and thats what keeps you coming back for more. As soon as it warms up a few degrees up here and we lose some of this white yucky stuff laying on the ground,I will be going to Skyland Pines and take advantage of using their heated driving range just to keep my swing in tact.We have about a month and a half of this stuff to get through yet before we can see some descent golf weather,but it's coming,for now I just stay inside and work on the putting game.

Bummer about the balls,now what are you going to try ? or will you just use them up ?

Where do you buy your golf equipment at ?
This is where I go : http://www.foxygolfcenter.com/. good guys work there,and they are always up to date with competitor pricing and will do what they can to keep you as a customer. It's great to have people like this willing to go that extra mile for you.They have definately earned my business.👍

Still keeping Heron Bay in my mind :sly: , awesome looking course , loving it

Congrats Nick , what a finish. 👍

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- One of the lessons Nick Watney took from playing for his uncle at Fresno State was that winning is never easy. That's why he didn't lose hope Sunday in the Buick Invitational when he was three shots behind with five holes to play.

First came a mini-collapse by John Rollins, a combination of bad swings and bad breaks.

Then it was a 40-foot birdie putt across the 16th green by Watney, who remembered the severity of the slope at the back of the green from when he three-putted at the U.S. Open last summer at Torrey Pines.

Watney never took the lead until the final shot of the tournament, a 2-foot birdie putt to complete a five-shot comeback for his second career victory.

"If you're going to lead for one hole, this is the time to do it," he said.

Watney, who appeared to be along for the ride for most of the final round, birdied two of his last three holes and didn't drop a shot over the final 11 holes in closing with a 4-under 68 for a one-shot victory.

No shot was more important than his hybrid from 235 yards on the par-5 18th that easily cleared the pond and settled on the top shelf of the green. He calmly rolled his long eagle putt down the slope to just inside 3 feet, and knocked in the winning putt after Rollins failed to get up-and-down from the bunker.

Me at the 18th hole. Didn't know my back swing was that fast. ^^

photo3wu9.jpg

wow...you really are whipping that thing back! I'm no pro or anything but those hips look way to far forward...yes...no?!

Exposed!! Lol. I knew I couldn't get away with that. :lol: I have to counter the bad habit of moving my hips too far back so I try to fix it by moving forward and levels out during the hit. It works because I drilled the baby long and straight. Haha

What kind of shafts are you using ? Wow , a lot of flex is working there. :eek:

I use the Fujikura golds - stiff shaft , the guys at Foxy Golf monitored my club head speed at 123 mph , and that was their recomendation because of my speed , they were spot on. I was exposing my hips as well , because the club head was lagging behind due to speed and a weaker shaft causing me to fade the ball a lot, stiff shaft cured my ailment.Although sometimes I will leave my club face open and still fade it , just got to remind myself to look at face position on practice swings.

Back