PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Its unfortunate whats happening with the broken PS4s. Time will tell if we have another red ring of death scandal, with estimates varying between 10%-50% failure rate for the 360 console. But I very much doubt it.

But theres one thing to keep in mind. If Sony sold 500,000 PS4s over the last 2 days (a conservative estimate), and 5,000 broke, thats a failure rate of 1%. 200 people complaining on Amazon is a very small number when you look at the big picture. Even if 10,000 broke down, thats still just 2%. Not excusing Sony at all, just saying its not a black plague.

Sony is offering a 36 month warranty on the PS4 for $49.99, and $59.99 covers accidental damage. Anyone who buys a PS4 should get one.

GameStop has a good warranty too. $40 for one year in store warranty. They will replace it that day guaranteed without needing to send it to Sony. I bought that one. If it makes it a year it's probably good and I won't have to ship it out.
They had a 2 year $60 one also with the same terms.

For those of you who have yours now, does it come with component cables like before? I know my little bro's WiiU only came with HDMI, and I don't have a TV that supports it (excluding this tiny 19 in. TV that he uses)

Like darren200cook said, the system only supports HDMI output so if you don't have a television that supports it you won't be able to play your PS4. Look on Craigslist for a tv though, I've seen many 32" HD tv's go for under $200. I picked my basically brand new 52" Sony Bravia 1080P HDTV off Craigslist for under $500 and it has a full warranty and everything. You can find some great deals, especially around this time of the year.

PS4 held its ground just fine against twin 7970s in the Digital Foundry BF4 test. You can say whatever you want for as long as you want, but if the PS4 was as low end and underpowered as you claim, that would not be the case.

I don't know how that's possible. There is a very noticeable difference in the PC version and ps4 version of bf4. The ps4 version is not near as smooth and responsive it also is not near as good looking.

Don't get me wrong I'm liking my ps4 but it's not near PC performance on the games I've played on both. The very low AA on the ps4 is what I'm a little disappointed in.

Bf4 on ultra with everything maxed wouldn't even make 7970s work running at 1080p and 60fps. I Max it easily on sli 670s. Only need about 65% usage to keep it at 60. I run triples though and it does run 95% all the time on 3 screens on ultra.

So look at it like this. Sli 670s can run bf4 3 on 3 screens on ultra and the ps4 can't run it smoothly on one screen on ultra.

For $400 though the ps4 is pretty impressive and way, way better than a $400 PC but you can't realistically compare it to really a really high end PC.

With that over, I can't wait until the PSN gets going better so I can play something online besides COD. Figures that the one game I really don't care for is the only one I can play b

Like darren200cook said, the system only supports HDMI output so if you don't have a television that supports it you won't be able to play your PS4. Look on Craigslist for a tv though, I've seen many 32" HD tv's go for under $200. I picked my basically brand new 52" Sony Bravia 1080P HDTV off Craigslist for under $500 and it has a full warranty and everything. You can find some great deals, especially around this time of the year.

Thanks for the tip! 👍

Need help with the 30 day Playstation plus deal you get with the PS4. It will not let me use it with out a credit card?(not doing that) does anyone know away around the credit card thing? Would appreciate any help!

Need help with the 30 day Playstation plus deal you get with the PS4. It will not let me use it with out a credit card?(not doing that) does anyone know away around the credit card thing? Would appreciate any help!
Just go get a prepaid card and put the minimum in it.

I don't know how that's possible. There is a very noticeable difference in the PC version and ps4 version of bf4. The ps4 version is not near as smooth and responsive it also is not near as good looking.

Don't get me wrong I'm liking my ps4 but it's not near PC performance on the games I've played on both. The very low AA on the ps4 is what I'm a little disappointed in.

Bf4 on ultra with everything maxed wouldn't even make 7970s work running at 1080p and 60fps. I Max it easily on sli 670s. Only need about 65% usage to keep it at 60. I run triples though and it does run 95% all the time on 3 screens on ultra.

So look at it like this. Sli 670s can run bf4 3 on 3 screens on ultra and the ps4 can't run it smoothly on one screen on ultra.

For $400 though the ps4 is pretty impressive and way, way better than a $400 PC but you can't realistically compare it to really a really high end PC.

With that over, I can't wait until the PSN gets going better so I can play something online besides COD. Figures that the one game I really don't care for is the only one I can play b

BF4 on 3 screens maxed out? PC is capable of such great power. Surely it has a game that shows off all that power, surely something that looks many times better then this, considering how much more powerful the top systems are then the PS4

Oh wait, are developers simply not interested in spending and making games much, much better then something the PS4 could handle because most people dont have the PC hardware to run them at such high levels? Yeah, thats what I think. Its also why PS4 gamers wont really be missing out on great visuals for at least a few years.

People are already complaining that PS4 doesnt look much better then PS3. What would they think about the difference between PS4 displaying a game at high settings and a PC displaying it at ultra?

Last edited:
@bevo
My local Gamestop where i purchased actually sold the 2 year extended warranty for $40.

The way she (the store manager) explained it was it comes with a 1 year warranty from Sony and the extended 2 years from Gamestop is added to it for a total of 3 years.

Oh wait, are developers simply not interested in spending and making games much, much better then something the PS4 could handle because most people dont have the PC hardware to run them at such high levels? Yeah, thats what I think. Its also why PS4 gamers wont really be missing out on great visuals for at least a few years.

There are many factors as to why PC games' graphics are only better than consoles in terms of screen resolution, frame rate and AA.

And yes, the fact that relatively few people own a high-end gaming rig makes it hard to financially justify creating a game that only this small subset of gamers would be able to run. But the PC Master Race likes to point the finger at consoles and blame them for why developers have to create games that are able to run on low-end systems and only get relatively modest graphical enhancements from being run on their beastly systems, completely ignoring that there are many mid-tier gaming PCs out there, and many more low-end ones which game developers also want their games to be able to be played on.

Then, of course, you have piracy which dissuades some developers from even considering producing a PC game at all, let alone one that would require the power of high-end rigs owned by people who know how to pirate.

Just seen a news report that the PS4 might actually have more GPU power than was first thought. The 1.84 teraflops was got from the 1152 stream processors but a picture of the board shows it actually has 1280 stream processors. This could have been done to improve yields and the extra cores may never get used.

1 Core has 64 stream processors

PS4Shaders.png

Possibly to improve yields, as was the case with the PS3's Cell. But then again, this isn't exactly brand new architecture here and it's produced by a company with a fair amount of experience in the GPU arena, so it seems to me that their manufacturing process shouldn't need extra cores to improve yield.

But maybe I don't know enough about CPU or GPU manufacturing to have a qualified opinion on the matter... sure would be nice if these extra cores weren't just there for yield, though. :P

They did not manufacturing anything (AMD sold their fab a while back). If you look at the previous problems with TSMC's yield rates, you'll understand why Sony added more GCN units to the design (Damn foundries and their lithography processes). It keeps any cases of "silicon lottery" from popping up. Question is: Who are the lucky ones rocking all units?.... We'll never know.

I hope this opens up everyone's eyes (like I sated in previous pages). "Ohh. Why can't they give it power that is the same as a fully unlocked GK110 or titan?" Because 28nm. This is all you can fit efficiently on a die. Look at it. I wish 20-22nm lithography processes were readily available to give these consoles the true power they deserve.

So any word on Fanatec devices working or is it too early?
at the moment none of the racing wheels works on ps4, not even in the menu. I tried a g27 (friend's house not mine) and it's not even recognized when system is turned on.
Pretty scaried right now. It's a no buy for me if old wheels are not working.

at the moment none of the racing wheels works on ps4, not even in the menu. I tried a g27 (friend's house not mine) and it's not even recognized when system is turned on.
Pretty scaried right now. It's a no buy for me if old wheels are not working.
Didn't Sony say that current wheels would be compatible? If so maybe it's an issue and they'll sort it shortly.

Battlefield won't be your friend for long:)
Bf4 has to be one of the worst releases of all time. I would say #1 would be obamacare #2 is bf 4.
I was super excited for it. Bought it for PC and was lucky because it's worked fine for me there, ps4 though is a different story. It's broke and I can't imagine them fixing it soon. I almost don't think they will ever get it completely fixed. They should have held it back. With theses new consoles this was their chance to bring in a bunch of new players but all this us going to do is run off way more than it's bringing in.

I hate you

You can come visit tomorrow, 2 hours driving
Battlefield won't be your friend for long:)
Bf4 has to be one of the worst releases of all time. I would say #1 would be obamacare #2 is bf 4.
I was super excited for it. Bought it for PC and was lucky because it's worked fine for me there, ps4 though is a different story. It's broke and I can't imagine them fixing it soon. I almost don't think they will ever get it completely fixed. They should have held it back. With theses new consoles this was their chance to bring in a bunch of new players but all this us going to do is run off way more than it's bringing in.

Thanks for the heads up. I know I'm going to play KZ more for now, and will try BF4 if it's that broken will wait until it's fixed

You can come visit tomorrow, 2 hours driving

Thanks for the heads up. I know I'm going to play KZ more for now, and will try BF4 if it's that broken will wait until it's fixed
Just don't get to excited for bf4. I was really disappointed. Killzone though looks awsome and sues great. It's by far the best looking of the games out right now.

Good 'ol DICE/EA, BF3 all over again, perhaps even worse with BF4. No worries though, whenever BF5 releases the "Release broken game to retail, patch, patch screws something else up." cycle will start all over again.

Bricktop....

Back