Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 653 comments
I haven't driven the Nurb for a while. This so called "fact" that kerbs are "improved" in the N24 version of the Nurb, what does this mean? Improved how? You mean when I drive the Nurb I won't be able to drive over curbs as if they aren't even there like I did before? So the Nurb is a much tougher track now?

That's right. With a stiff suspension many kerbs that can't be driven over IRL upset the car noticeably or throw it off line. I wouldn't call it perfectly modelled, but to me the latest changes are a clear sign PD is willing to look into the matter and compared to every GT so far, with 1.09 there's distinctive feedback, also in the wheel, that you've just ran over an obstacle on the track and put a wheel where you really shouldn't. And not just flipping the car over, as it has been to one extent or another in previous GT6 versions.

If that's something that's on PD's agenda for the next years, and they get some input or even feedback from a body like the FIA, I'm really looking forward to that. We're all very used to car manufacturers signing off the cars in any driving game - about time tracks also get a sign of approval.

Don't get me wrong - I love GT because of what it does right and despite of its shortcomings and I don't expect that all of a sudden all my personal grudges disappear. But I'm happy to cut PD some slack because they give me the impression that they in fact do care and try very hard.

That's right. With a stiff suspension many kerbs that can't be driven over IRL upset the car noticeably or throw it off line. I wouldn't call it perfectly modelled, but to me the latest changes are a clear sign PD is willing to look into the matter and compared to every GT so far, with 1.09 there's distinctive feedback, also in the wheel, that you've just ran over an obstacle on the track and put a wheel where you really shouldn't. And not just flipping the car over, as it has been to one extent or another in previous GT6 versions.

If that's something that's on PD's agenda for the next years, and they get some input or even feedback from a body like the FIA, I'm really looking forward to that. We're all very used to car manufacturers signing off the cars in any driving game - about time tracks also get a sign of approval.

Don't get me wrong - I love GT because of what it does right and despite of its shortcomings and I don't expect that all of a sudden all my personal grudges disappear. But I'm happy to cut PD some slack because they give me the impression that they in fact do care and try very hard.
I'll have to try it myself because like a lot of stuff, we have to be careful not to confuse the placebo concept with real changes. But tell me, why is it they needed the FIA to do this exactly? Remember the GT6 demo and the sausage curb in the last corner at Silverstone? That curb was mysteriously removed when GT6 was released. Is it back now? Kaz is a racing driver, he clearly knows how the curbs work, so it must be a deliberate design decision to "dumb" them down to this point.

So I was poking around trying to get more information on the nature of the FIA deal and no one I know at the FIA was involved.

The reason is that when you license a governing body/series/or just complicated IP's there are many stipulations you must as hear to for accurate representation. Because of this there are very few series licensed games. Developers opt for sub licenses to just get the cars etc. as technically the governing body owns the representation of those cars in other media.

This whole thing leads to some wild speculation, but the part I'm most interested in is non factory backed race teams and their cars. Combined with Kaz shameless admittance to wanting Porsche in GT games. This is now remotely possible under the FIA license if the manufacture isn't mentioned.

EA are likely in a scramble to find litigation to block this, but governing bodies supersede manufactures as they have to be members of the organization. And that organization can change their rules annually.

So there really many things to get excited about if Kaz has more than a simple "series" in mind (Redbull, Senna, etc.).

Just to highlight the power of the FIA, I can't race anywhere without FIA certified safety gear. In the US it's not called FIA but its a carbon copy of the standard. And that's just a tiny example.

The entire GT series just leaped in credibility in my book... My interests are now through the roof.

Last edited:
I'll have to try it myself because like a lot of stuff, we have to be careful not to confuse the placebo concept with real changes. But tell me, why is it they needed the FIA to do this exactly? Remember the GT6 demo and the sausage curb in the last corner at Silverstone? That curb was mysteriously removed when GT6 was released. Is it back now? Kaz is a racing driver, he clearly knows how the curbs work, so it must be a deliberate design decision to "dumb" them down to this point.

Yes, it's there, I am looking at a 1.08 replay and it looks the same as it did in the demo. I don't remember it being removed in earlier GT6 versions. A replay from Feb has it present as well.

Yes, it's there, I am looking at a 1.08 replay and it looks the same as it did in the demo. I don't remember it being removed in earlier GT6 versions. A replay from Feb has it present as well.
Sorry, it is still there, what I meant was, in the demo it threw you way off balance to get on it, but since then, you can pretty much drive over it at will with far less consequence.

Just to highlight the power of the FIA, I can race anywhere without FIA certified safety gear. In the US it's not called FIA but its a carbon copy of the standard. And that's just a tiny example.

Did you mean 'can't race'? Genuine question, I'm not sure what you mean otherwise.
Thanks for the info.

So I was poking around trying to get more information on the nature of the FIA deal and no one I know at the FIA was involved.

The reason is that when you license a governing body/series/or just complicated IP's there are many stipulations you must as hear to for accurate representation. Because of this there are very few series licensed games. Developers opt for sub licenses to just get the cars etc. as technically the governing body owns the representation of those cars in other media.

This whole thing leads to some wild speculation, but the part I'm most interested in is non factory backed race teams and their cars. Combined with Kaz shameless admittance to wanting Porsche in GT games. This is now remotely possible under the FIA license if the manufacture isn't mentioned.

EA are likely in a scramble to find litigation to block this, but governing bodies supersede manufactures as they have to be members of the organization. And that organization can change their rules annually.

So there really many things to get excited about if Kaz has more than a simple "series" in mind (Redbull, Senna, etc.).

Just to highlight the power of the FIA, I can't race anywhere without FIA certified safety gear. In the US it's not called FIA but its a carbon copy of the standard. And that's just a tiny example.

The entire GT series just leaped in credibility in my book... My interests are now through the roof.

Except as far as we know there is no 'licensing', it's merely a partnership at this stage. I really don't think it's the gateway to content as some believe it to be.

Except as far as we know there is no 'licensing', it's merely a partnership at this stage. I really don't think it's the gateway to content as some believe it to be.
That's a good point, but a partnership is based on a mutual benefit. It could be as simple as using the FIA name and track certification. Or it could be much more.

It's wise to not over think it, but I can't help myself :)

Ah thanks. I spent way too long trying to make sense of that before I realised it was probably a typo.

I thought you were saying the FIA had granted you some sort of exemption on wearing safety gear.:lol:
I type all my messages on an iPhone so they are frequently prone to autocorrect issues... I have a very fast thumb...

I would definitely not want an exception on safety! I already don't use a baklava so I'm already compromising. They are only forced if you have facial hair.

Didn't know desserts were used in racing as safety equipment...
I wish! :drool:

cat-88-300-1.jpg

Hmmmmmm.
drool.gif

My interest in cars, driving and racing started from my dad's love of NASCAR. Being from Southeast America, it IS racing. But that interest started to die after I moved out and into my own life. The NASCAR thing didn't do much for me anymore and other sports became much more interesting.

A couple years later I played GT4 on PS2. Other forms of racing became mildly more interesting for a short while, but life kind of changed and gaming went away and my interest in motorsport went with it.

Enter GT5. I found out about GT5 coming out two weeks before release day and played it relentlessly until shortly before release of GT6. I became a fan of the game and a big fan of racing because of it.
Now I play GT6 less than I did GT5, but my passion and love of racing has only increased. I watch F1 at all hours of the night and morning, not missing a race in a while now. I keep up with and enjoy just about any kind of televised racing now. Even more than I do other sports that I used to enjoy quite a bit. I even made my dad watch the Daytona 24 and Le Mans 24 when he was over. My interest made HIM more interested.

People who play Madden are much more interested in the NFL than those who do not. People who play WWE are much more interested in the actual WWE than those who do not. I know very little about Porsche because they aren't in Gran Turismo. Etc, etc, etc.

This kind of marketing is genius and I hope it only grows more and more. I love racing and I give the credit of that almost completely to my enjoyment of playing Gran Turismo and racing games. I'm sure many of you can share similar stories. If this FIA/GT deal can get that out to even more people in the coming generations, then job done.

Last edited:
This kind of marketing is genius and I hope it only grows more and more. I love racing and I give the credit of that almost completely to my enjoyment of playing Gran Turismo and racing games. I'm sure many of you can share similar stories. If this FIA/GT deal can get that out to even more people in the coming generations, then job done.
The problem with this kind of marketing, so far as PD is concerned anyway, is that they've never been able to bridge the gap between marketing and gameplay. Look at Top Gear from GT5 and how it was implemented and what could have been done with it. People love that show and how great would it have been to have the "reasonably priced car" concept in the game. It's iconic and yet PD missed the boat on that. How hard would it have been to introduce into the game a virtual leaderboard of all your cars run at TGTT that looked like this?:
article-2280468-17A861E3000005DC-670_634x360.jpg

When PD starts showing they can incorporate this stuff in some meaningful way into the game I'll get excited. Until then it's just another advert cluttering up my screen.

The problem with this kind of marketing, so far as PD is concerned anyway, is that they've never been able to bridge the gap between marketing and gameplay. Look at Top Gear from GT5 and how it was implemented and what could have been done with it. People love that show and how great would it have been to have the "reasonably priced car" concept in the game. It's iconic and yet PD missed the boat on that. How hard would it have been to introduce into the game a virtual leaderboard of all your cars run at TGTT that looked like this?:
article-2280468-17A861E3000005DC-670_634x360.jpg

When PD starts showing they can incorporate this stuff in some meaningful way into the game I'll get excited. Until then it's just another advert cluttering up my screen.
I agree. Looking back it wasn't implemented well. But I had never watched Top Gear until GT5. Now, with the help of DVR and Netflix, I've seen the past 21 seasons. GT was the introduction to Motorsport, not the fulfillment of it.

**My experience could have been much the same if I'd gotten an Xbox instead and played Forza 4, but I chose ps3 instead due to the bluray player. So I'm not saying GT is the be all end all. I'm simply highlighting that growing a love for a sport through gaming is not unprecedented. I hope we see the racing gaming genre become incredibly competitive (it will be there soon, if it isn't already) and Motorsport become as widely popular as football. That is potential is exciting to me.

I agree. Looking back it wasn't implemented well. But I had never watched Top Gear until GT5. Now, with the help of DVR and Netflix, I've seen the past 21 seasons. GT was the introduction to Motorsport, not the fulfillment of it.

Except the 1st season... :irked:

Except the 1st season... :irked:
Different presenters.... Top Gear's draw is the trio of Clarkson/Hammond/May. May wasn't a permanent fixture of the show until Season 2, even though he had the small segments here and there before the current run of Top Gear happened.

As of today, the FIA/PDI partnership is just marketing since it's added nothing so far to the game.

Different presenters.... Top Gear's draw is the trio of Clarkson/Hammond/May. May wasn't a permanent fixture of the show until Season 2, even though he had the small segments here and there before the current run of Top Gear happened.

As of today, the FIA/PDI partnership is just marketing since it's added nothing so far to the game.

Yeah I know, but it's still a little disappointing that it's not on Netflix. Not as disappointing as not being able to get 2-9 on DVD....but that's another issue.

To be fair they just announced the partnership a while ago and they have announced an FIA championship for (early?) next year.

So the new news article on the front page "confirms" that the FIA championship will start in GT6 as a Pre-season or tester season but the real championships will begin in GT7.

Speculatons: GT6 major support til 2015 at least
GT7 in 2016?

Back