• 2,206 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Premium
United States
Pasadena, TX
Yaywalter
With the Porsche racing wheel being PS3 compatible, does this mean that GT5 will perhaps get Porshces finally? And if so, does that mean there won't be any RUFs?

Last posted also copied here by mod

Porsche will not be in GT5.

Evidence, I hear you ask. How about evidence from Porsche themselves?

So you probably know that I wrote an e-mail to Porsche some time ago, asking why they don't appear in Gran Turismo 5. Much to my surprise, I actually received an answer today:

Porsche contact
Dear Mr. XXX

thank you for your e-mail from 19th of August and your encouragement about our commitment in the area of computer gaming, which we are happy to answer. Please excuse our belated response.

In general we concede with you [editorial note: as in me saying that Porsche can't afford to not be in Gran Turismo anymore]. But for about 10 years by now, there has been an exclusive cooperation in the area of entertainment software between Porsche and Electronic Arts. Then, the prelude was the Porsche-only version of 'Need for Speed'. This cooperation still exists, and in the meantime, there has been a multitude of further mutual projects.

As for all of our cooperation partners, we are interested in a durable and good partnership. That involves meeting decisions which, from the outside, might not reveal themselves instantly, such as the decision to not be featured in 'Gran Turismo'.

We hope to have helped you with these short background informations and remain

with best regards
XXX XXX

Porsche contact

So, Porsche themselves say, "thanks" to an exclusive agreement with EA, that they are not going to feature in GT5.

So, why are Porsche in other games, ie Forza, that aren't produced by EA.

Porsche contact
On the other hand, there are a few sublicenses handed out by Electronic Arts. This happens to be the case for the Forza Motorsport game series. Due to our close cooperation with Electronic Arts, we accept their entrepreneurial decisions to give out sublicenses. Electronic Arts operates in the area of entertainment software, we operate in the area of producing cars. In terms of a good partnership, we only deem it best to let every one of our partners operate freely in their respective branch. Even if that means that there will be decisions which we would have met differently.
As stated, EA sell sub-licenses to other game companies, i.e. Turn 10, but that they exclude Sony/PD from getting a sub-license.

So, that's the Porsche side covered. What do Sony/PD say.

Lets go over to PD producer, Kazunori Yamauchi

Auto Express interview with Kazunori Yamauchi
Are there any car makers that won’t be appearing in GT5 that you’d like to see in GT6?

GT5 will have a few historic models in it, but looking back at automotive history there are a lot of cars that would be nice to have. I couldn’t narrow it down to one manufacturer, but Porsche is definitely at the top of my wish list.
So, there you have it, Kaz himself saying that Porsche are at the top of the list for inclusion into future games.

So, I think we can safely say that Porsche are not going to be in GT5.

So, with that, I'm going to put this thread out of my misery. Creation of any future Porsche/GT5 threads is entirely at the thread starters own risk. I wouldn't like to say what could happen to them...

Last edited by a moderator:
what does a gaming peripherals company have to do with polyphony digital?

no porsches, and i pray to god there will be more ruf's

You're guess is as good as anyone else at this point. Polyphony is notoriously tight lipped about such things, until right before the launch of the game (which could be in 2009). This is of course, unless someone on the forums has info that I have not been privy to.

;)

It would be nice to have Porsche's , but I would rather love to see RUFs more :)

I would rather have Porsches, but I hold very little hope at the moment.

It would be nice to have Porsche's , but I would rather love to see RUFs more :)

As tempting as the 911 GT2 or Carrera GT is, I am slightly more interested in running a CTR3 around Daytona, so I agree with you.

No RUF can hold a candle to a 962, 911 GT1 Evo, GT3 RSR or Spyder LMP2 though...

The logic would be there that having Ferrari in a GT game for the first time may mean more fun sports car action in GT5. I've never hated Ruf. They are a quality car maker with the different cars they offer. Given all of this, will Porsche be in GT5? As someone mentioned in the GT4 forums while GT4 was in the works (I believe it was Famine): "I don't know. I am not PD," or something like that.

One of the main criticisms of Gran Turismo over the years has been that not a lot of people like that there aren't enough high-end sports cars and not enough supercars. It's the criticism in which people think Gran Turismo is mostly Kei cars and Japanese cars while ignoring the rest of the world of cars. So I can understand the logic that Porsche's inclusion in GT5 would be a strong candidate to be in GT5. And if Porsche doesn't make it into GT5, you (depending on your logic) still have something better than Porsche- Ruf. The Forza gamer playing GT would likely say that any included Porsches have to at least be something of Forza 1 and/or 2. And just imagine if all the Porsche GT race cars show up in GT5- you'll have your GT2 (as in Grand Touring 2) weapon. Then imagine competiting in stuff like GT-sanctioned Porsche Cup events and maybe even something similar to the Porsche Rennsport Reunion.

For now, though, we still don't know too much about GT5 to actually think Porsche would at least be considered. Perhaps PD's deal with Top Gear may give PD a shot in the arm for finding all sorts of interesting sports cars, perhaps even Porsches. If I had to rate Porsche's probability in GT5, I'd rate the chances at 35% and nothing more until we get some more inside dirt on GT5.

Here's my little thought,

Forza2 is currently the best driving sim for consoles. Forza2 has Porsches. Sony & Polyphony know that a lot of PS3 sales will come from GT5. In fact I bought my PS3 for that reason. So I would think that if Microsoft can get Porsches, so will Sony. Also, when GT5 comes out or even Prologue it is bound to get media attention, I mean these are graphics like never before. It is a great advertisement tool for car companies. Especially the demographics for such a game. You have primarily males and a wider mode of an age group.

But as said before it is anyone's guess. It makes complete sense for GT5 to have Porsches as they have such a huge part of the automobile racing world both past&present and..........

I just hope so! I want to drive a GT3 RS:drool:

The great thing about GT is the diversity of cars found in game, so many makes, so many models from almost all era's of motorsport. Porsche would just be another level added to that list of greatness because Porsche has a history like no other.

Excluding all the new model Porsche's out now, I can only imagine what models PD would put in after almost 80 years of Porsche producing quality production cars and race cars.

The thing that frustrates me about Ruf is their lack of full-on race cars, where Porsche has TWO race versions of the GT3, not to mention the 993/996 GT1, the prototypes and Group C cars, hell, even that Formula-Vee-esque Grand Prix car, and the 959 Rally Raid. We need more than a Pajero and some Toyota that never existed...

You're guess is as good as anyone else at this point. Polyphony is notoriously tight lipped about such things, until right before the launch of the game (which could be in 2009). This is of course, unless someone on the forums has info that I have not been privy to.

*cough* Ferrari *cough*

Well, Polyphony actually rubbed us Ferrari into our faces like its new discovered alien technology wrapped in gold well beyond the limit of coolness our minds can handle. :indiff:
I bet, if they had Porsche under contract PD would let us know like the did with Ferrari (right into the face!). Can you imagine what Porsche would mean for GT5? Add 20% more profit and youre on the right way.

If there is a car manufacturer not as yet in GT5 then they PR guy at the car manufacturer should be taken outside and shot.

To have your car in GT5 should be an honour for every manufacturer and they should be climbing all over each other to get in it first.

Its free advertizing into millions of homes but more importantly millions of potential future owners.

If there is a car manufacturer not as yet in GT5 then they PR guy at the car manufacturer should be taken outside and shot.

To have your car in GT5 should be an honour for every manufacturer and they should be climbing all over each other to get in it first.

Its free advertizing into millions of homes but more importantly millions of potential future owners.

Because a well known brand like Porsche really needs to advertise?

And to the author of this thread, why exactly would PD not be able to keep both Porsche and Ruf?

Because a well known brand like Porsche really needs to advertise?

You can never have enough advertisment, simple rule of all big car maufacturers.
The brand may be well know, but not the new products, dont forget not all people in the world are car nuts like we are, they dont know all products of car maufacturers like we do. .

I would love to see Porsche in GT5 not because of its boring road cars (RUFs are more excting) apart from the carrera gt but because of its selection of le mans racing cars.

There's no such thing as a RUF 917, or RUF 550 Spyder, so Porsche it is! Although I'm sure RUF could exist in the game alongside Porsche.

The only game that I've ever played that had the 917 and the 550 was NFS: Porsche Unleashed, and it was, um, crap.

RUF should definitely stay in GT5, Porsche shouldn't be a replacement for anything. I feel if you have RUF you should definitely have Porsche, because there would be no RUF without Porsche. I encourage PD to include even more of these kinds of manufacturers/tuners such as Gemballa, Rinspeed and Tech Art.

ya it makes me sad no RUFs have even been publically announced or seen in screenshots.. i would be more than happy with RUFs as long as they included the newer 996/997/987 platforms in RUF trim

ya it makes me sad no RUFs have even been publically announced or seen in screenshots.. i would be more than happy with RUFs as long as they included the newer 996/997/987 platforms in RUF trim

I would be very happy for CTR Yellowbird alone, it's Porsche's spirit exponentiated into nirvana. Can't wait to see the driver operating it's extremely long shifter in the interior view :)

I would be very happy for CTR Yellowbird alone, it's Porsche's spirit exponentiated into nirvana. Can't wait to see the driver operating it's extremely long shifter in the interior view :)

i was in love with the BTR in gt4. i had a white one that i would always take out on the ring on N2s or N3s. once you get used to the RR layout, its a blast to drive

mild drifting as you let off the gas/break for corners, and extra grip on the way out of a corner = euphoria

Because Polyphony is probably still holding them. We haven't seen Aston Martin either, yet the chance of them being in is still high since they've been around since the beginning.

If Ferrari arrived in GT5 now, I bet Porsche will see a great opportunity for advertising their cars and I bet they will allow PD to be in game. Did every company in the world bought Porsche rights except PD? I don't think so, anything is possible.

Its taken PD 10 long years to get ferrari, seriously i wouldnt hold your breath for Porsches or lamborghinis.....sadly :grumpy:

Its taken PD 10 long years to get ferrari, seriously i wouldnt hold your breath for Porsches or lamborghinis.....sadly :grumpy:

Except Polyphony did, at one time, have Lamborghini and Porsche. However, they put the cars in before either company actually...agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back