Post pics of your PS3 setup!

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 351 comments
My setup is not so much a gaming system so much as it is a theater that happens to have a PS3. It looks okay in photos, and in moderate light, but don't look too close -- I'm not the best at doing construction. And this thing is a kit. :indiff: When my finances recover from the theater renovations, I plan on doing a dedicated gaming room that's much more casual, and not quite as dark.

Probably listed earlier, but:

Arcam AVP700
Arcam P1000 (in silver, not black as on the website; will probably be replaced with a Krell TAS)
Audyssey EQ (still not 100% convinced...)
Arcam DV79
DirectTV HR10-250 (waiting for FiOS, which is far superior)
ReQuest ARQ Fusion Pro (old; needs a bigger drive)
Richard Gray's 400Pro
Snell AMC 2000THX (front L, C, R)
NHT Evolution L5 (old stuff, but it fit in the rear corners due to the odd room layout)
Rel R505 (soon to add a second)
Crestron STX-1700CXP (Crestron desperately needs to update this with backlit buttons)
Crestron Pro2
Vidikron Vision70 with Cinewide (but not Autoscope)
Screen Reasearch XMask 1.78/2.35, 105" fixed with motorized masking

So on to the photos, starting with a view of the screen from the back:

The projector:

The screen in action:
--> -->

I told you GTHD looks good in 2.35:1. :D

Great job on the design of your HT and your equipment choices.... and your excellent job on the equipment rack as shown earlier. Movie/Game nights must be something your friends and family look forward to there! 👍👍

I am particularly impressed by your choice of projectors, and commitment to a 2:35 fixed height system. I am a big supporter of that format, but it is hard to recommend it to most people when building a HT as the cost and convenience of using 2.35 anamorphic lenses is often too much for the average person.

I and many others have been campaigning for a long time to manufacturers to make 2.35 native chips in addition to the 1.78 (16x9) chips, but for the most part it has fallen on deaf ears.

However, much like what TI designed five years ago with their 848x600 DLP DMD chip. Where it was possible to set the active matrix to be either 800x600 or 848x480... it now looks like some manufacturers are now designing 2560x1440 chips, which could have multiple matrixes so that you could set your projector to output a native resolution of 2538x1080 (2.35) or 2560x1440 (16x9) or 1920x1440 (4:3).

So for those who want a fixed height 2.35 screen, but who do not want to use an anamorphic lens, they would get:
  • 2538x1080 for 2.35
  • 1998x1080 for 1.85
  • 1920x1080 for 1.78 (16x9)
  • 1800x1080 for 1.66
  • 1485x1080 for 1.37
But by having a multi-matrix chip design, those who want a "traditional" 16x9 screen, or even a fixed width design, can get that from the same chip. 👍

The screen in action:

Just so its clear, I can almost guarantee without even seeing his system, that in person the images would be many times better, its only that it is very difficult to capture the actual image quality from a projector. It requires a very good low light camera and a tri-pod... and even then, it is still difficult to reproduce what you are really seeing in person... and in Harry's case I'm sure the picture quality is breathtaking!

Fantastic system Harry!

As posted in other parts of the forum, but without the ps3 underneath.

Sony KDL46X2000
Sony PS3

&...

Thats it :D

We could do with a surround sound system of some sort, but not sure we have room for anything fancy, im actually thinking about the Yamaha YSP1100 but who knows.

My setup is not so much a gaming system so much as it is a theater that happens to have a PS3. It looks okay in photos, and in moderate light, but don't look too close -- I'm not the best at doing construction. And this thing is a kit. :indiff: When my finances recover from the theater renovations, I plan on doing a dedicated gaming room that's much more casual, and not quite as dark.

Probably listed earlier, but:

Arcam AVP700
Arcam P1000 (in silver, not black as on the website; will probably be replaced with a Krell TAS)
Audyssey EQ (still not 100% convinced...)
Arcam DV79
DirectTV HR10-250 (waiting for FiOS, which is far superior)
ReQuest ARQ Fusion Pro (old; needs a bigger drive)
Richard Gray's 400Pro
Snell AMC 2000THX (front L, C, R)
NHT Evolution L5 (old stuff, but it fit in the rear corners due to the odd room layout)
Rel R505 (soon to add a second)
Crestron STX-1700CXP (Crestron desperately needs to update this with backlit buttons)
Crestron Pro2
Vidikron Vision70 with Cinewide (but not Autoscope)
Screen Reasearch XMask 1.78/2.35, 105" fixed with motorized masking

So on to the photos, starting with a view of the screen from the back:

The projector:

The screen in action:
--> -->

What do you do for a living?!

Great job on the design of your HT and your equipment choices.... and your excellent job on the equipment rack as shown earlier. Movie/Game nights must be something your friends and family look forward to there! 👍👍

It is quite fun, and worth all the effort. Had I total freedom, I would have made different choices here & there, but the room was what it was, and I'm not at the point where I can build an extension over the garage or anything.

Digital-Nitrate
I am particularly impressed by your choice of projectors, and commitment to a 2:35 fixed height system. I am a big supporter of that format, but it is hard to recommend it to most people when building a HT as the cost and convenience of using 2.35 anamorphic lenses is often too much for the average person.

Using 2.35 is kind of a new thing in the industry (well, "on the return" if you consider older, 9" CRTs), and currently very few actually support true 2.35 modes, and none of them are particularly cheap. But jumping to a wider aspect allowed me to do two beneficial things:
- choose Screen Research (who make the best screens, in my opinion)
- move the front left & right speakers further apart while still behind the screen
It's a perfect demo for itself. Start watching Lawrence of Arabia (or T2 in BD) in 1.78 mode, then replay the scene in 2.35.... Not using AutoScope means it's not 1920 across in 1.78 mode, but it still looks fantastic with regular HD broadcasts (which so far is all 1.78).

Digital-Nitrate
I and many others have been campaigning for a long time to manufacturers to make 2.35 native chips in addition to the 1.78 (16x9) chips, but for the most part it has fallen on deaf ears.

I think manufacturers will still resist since they've finally gotten over the hump on convincing people that 1.78 widescreen is the future, and the many people are buying new TVs in that aspect. Changing to 2.35 (especially when little if any HD channels are in that aspect) would be like pulling the rug out from people. Strange that the media companies don't have a problem with that (VHS -> LD -> DVD -> DVHS -> BD/HDDVD; vinyl -> reel -> 8-track -> cassette -> CD -> SACD/DVD-A -> DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THAT MP3!!).

Digital-Nitrate
However, much like what TI designed five years ago with their 848x600 DLP DMD chip. Where it was possible to set the active matrix to be either 800x600 or 848x480... it now looks like some manufacturers are now designing 2560x1440 chips, which could have multiple matrixes so that you could set your projector to output a native resolution of 2538x1080 (2.35) or 2560x1440 (16x9) or 1920x1440 (4:3).

I think that may be a neat feature, but it requires 4-way masking with multiple stops. Certainly the right thing for a top-shelf system, but I think we'll see a lot of 1080p stuff for a few years. At least until 2160p is decided on. :P

Digital-Nitrate
Just so its clear, I can almost guarantee without even seeing his system, that in person the images would be many times better, its only that it is very difficult to capture the actual image quality from a projector. It requires a very good low light camera and a tri-pod... and even then, it is still difficult to reproduce what you are really seeing in person... and in Harry's case I'm sure the picture quality is breathtaking!

Fantastic system Harry!

Thanks! I'll try to get a nice, low-light shot in the near future. I really should figure out how to use my camera more.

Here's my little setup:

Flash

No Flash

Display - Sony 34XBR960 (HDMI input displayed)
Receiver - Denon AVR-3300
DVD - Denon DVD-2900
CD - Sony C333ES
SVHS - JVC HR-S7800U
PS3 (on top of the JVC)
Speakers - Norh 4.0 Marble (x5)
Sub - N/A (because in a condo environment, my neighbors deserve my restraint... restraint that is quite difficult though ;)
Rack & Speaker Stands- Sanus Natural line

It shows up better in the non-flash pic, but I'm really not too jazzed with the aesthetic of the chrome plated 60GB model. No big whup though, F1 looks and sounds just as sweet.

Heres my little setup...

TV - Panasonic VIERA Plasma

Consoles - XBOX360 PS3 PS2 XBOX + Pioneer DTS Amp

TJR Racing Sim

👍

Here's my little setup:

Flash

Nice TV. :sly:

img0004fg5.jpg

My setup is not so much a gaming system so much as it is a theater that happens to have a PS3.

Since it's only been 4 months since I said I'd post these, I'd figure now's a good a time as any:

I finally got around to getting a longer USB cable and running to the front side of the rack. The space on the shelf there isn't quite big enough for a controller (you have to slide the wire back through a bit), but it's so much more convenient. [Warning: Heresy ahead.] I'm now considering adding a XBOX Elite and doing the same thing. Either that or scrap the theater, sell most of it, and do something totally different in another room. Decisions, decisions...

lol it's still very nice;)

Do you have any problems with the consoles(PS3 and 360) Verticle?

I dont have any problems with my PS3 vertical. It actually works out better because it doesnt get as dusty when its vertical.

Edit: Wow JeremyRicci, very very nice setup. Im loving that background. You too, Duck, that is how I want my setup in my room to be. A nice smaller tv, Im assuming your tv is 32in.?

godzilla_GTR
Do you have any problems with the consoles(PS3 and 360) Verticle?

PS3 - nope
X360 - had it vertical the first 2 weeks and I was always in fear that it'll scratch the discs. I think it runs better in horizontal condition. But could be a coincidence of ingame freezing and the position of my xbox

Jeremy could you please tell me how you got that backround? the picture I can understand but your icons look a little different

Its not the icons, its just a picture with bars that are meant to make the xmb icons stand out. Such as this, only this is for the PSP.

kz_psp_wallpaper01.jpg

Back