Preferred DLC strategy

• Thread starter Nielsen
  • 88 comments

What kind of DLC would you prefer?

• Vision GT and other unique / concept cars (GT6's free DLC strategy)

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Car packs including various road and race cars (GT5's paid DLC strategy)

Votes: 81 70.4%

• Total voters
Why do we need to restrict access to cars so severely again?

Because PD logic :P Honestly, I'd also rather have car ownership transferrable from game to game. By this point I've grinded for GT1, GT2, GT5P, GTPSP, GT5 and GT6 it's not even funny. But I'm used to it because that's what I've come to expect from buying a GT game. I can see how new players might be overwhelmed though. In any case, if you make it too easy to gain credits at the start you run the risk of people complaining how easy it is to obtain everything. You just can't win either way. A viable solution would be to unlock all cars in Arcade Mode. That way people can still test out any 1200 cars from the start, but if you want to own, tune and customize it you have to work for it (but this time make sure login bonus is there from the start).

Please stop comparing entire games to paying DLC, it doesnt make sense.
When you pay for the game, you are paying for the wages and operating costs of the company to produce that content(plus a small profit).

When you pay for a DLC, you are paying for the wages and operating costs of the company to produce that content(plus a small profit).

Huh, sound pretty similar to me. Why exactly does this comparison make no sense?

I support PD by buying the games, not the DLC's.
Congrats. Why exactly does this entitle you to free content?

The only DLC I bought in GT5 was spa because I love the track, but I mean, paid DLC suck in my opinion. First Too expensive for what they offer, feels like being robbed when you get them,
Thats the thing; its your opinion. What some people consider absolutely worthless, others consider the best DLC of all time. This is besides the fact that you are trying to make a blanket statement about all DLC, which doesn't work. Different prices, different content, different genres, different consumers, etc. It all changes what the worth of a DLC is.

and when you see others enjoy the paid DLC that you dont have, it makes you get angry.
Wait, you mean someone paid for something, and as such they are able to enjoy it, but you didn't get to use it because you didn't pay? Someone call the president, such injustices cannot stand!

Seriously, I don't complain about how "unfair" it is when I see a sports car while driving my 🤬 little Focus. I accept the fact that things cost money to make(I know this might sound crazy, but digital =/= free), and that just because I don't have the money to afford something shouldn't mean I should just be given it for free. FFS, we are talking about a $15 DLC(and thats on the CRAZY high end for what we would get in GT6), if you can't afford that how did you buy the game?

Attitudes like yours are what make DLC be successful and more and more expensive and ridiculous everytime (well, at least in GT's case it was not big deal)
We will end up paying 60 for the game and 150 for DLC, thanks to you guys that you accept being robbed.

A pack of 10 cars is worth $10 for example?? and a track is worth $5?? Then the entire game with all those tracks and more than 1000 cars should be worth about 1500€! Thats what i'm talking about.
Paid DLC = fraud

if a DLC pack would be about $1-$2 and it contained 10-15 cars and a couple of tracks then it would be a good deal.

I will never pay for additional cars ever again. I wasted enough money with FM4.

The Porsche pack was worth it.

I imagine the Porsche license from EA is really expensive at this point, which must be why nobody else is willing to have it. If it takes a $20 DLC to make enough money to get Porsche in, I'm willing to pay that.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree. I like the idea of the DLC in Forza being available, but I will not buy it. I'm happy to wait for the next iteration to drive those cars.

Maybe when I'm a rich :censored:erI'll start buying those types of DLC.

I will never pay for additional cars ever again. I wasted enough money with FM4.
I was happy to pay around 20£ for the Porsche pack ! That pay DLC was amazing and definitely is the best of the forza serie IMO.

Monthly paid DLC for cars and tracks, at a cost that enables PD to employ enough staff to model cars and tracks faster. I'd happily pay €15-€20 euro's a month for some new cars, car parts and tracks.

Personally, I couldcouldn't care less if they stopped with the vision thing. I want some more real stuff.
People of Earth, stop using this phrase incorrectly! Could care less makes little sense, and implies the opposite of what you want to say if you wish to express that you don't care about something. Couldn't care less, the correct phrase, means that no matter how hard you try, you couldn't possibly care less about something, because you've already stopped caring.

I'm not angry at you specifically, Stiggy, but I've seen this mistake too many times. It drives me bananas, more so than there/their/they're errors.

People of Earth, stop using this phrase incorrectly! Could care less makes little sense, and implies the opposite of what you want to say if you wish to express that you don't care about something. Couldn't care less, the correct phrase, means that no matter how hard you try, you couldn't possibly care less about something, because you've already stopped caring.

I'm not angry at you specifically, Stiggy, but I've seen this mistake too many times. It drives me bananas, more so than there/their/they're errors.

This ×1,000,000,000. It's the second most irritating thing to say in a post other than to start it with "Am I the only one..."

I could care less if I got it wrong.

;)

Please stop comparing entire games to paying DLC, it doesnt make sense.

Yes it does. They are both products.

Do you complain about how much a car costs new versus how much it would cost if you bought the same car five years later? Do you want a discount voucher sent to you from PD because you paid more for GT6 than what it goes for on shelves these days?

DLC is - and always will be - a poor value comparison versus a whole game. No kidding. You're paying for the early access.

First Too expensive for what they offer, feels like being robbed when you get them, and when you see others enjoy the paid DLC that you dont have, it makes you get angry.

Your envy/jealousy/anger is your problem, not anybody else's.

Of course I know this. :rolleyes: But I'm sure, not to the point of NEVER being able to afford a 20 million car. Maybe he doesnt know how to grind efficiently.

The idea that people need to "grind efficiently" is wholly silly to some, you'll find.

Do you complain about how much a car costs new versus how much it would cost if you bought the same car five years later? Do you want a discount voucher sent to you from PD because you paid more for GT6 than what it goes for on shelves these days?

DLC is - and always will be - a poor value comparison versus a whole game. No kidding. You're paying for the early access.
You mean DLC is and always will be POOR VALUE, no more no less.
Early access? who cares about early access? Early access compared to what? Whats the point of this? To make the rest jelaous? Its such nonsense mentality if you ask me.
Your envy/jealousy/anger is your problem, not anybody else's.
Its not envy/jealousy, its anger that people actually like to feed this ugly monster called "paying DLC"
The idea that people need to "grind efficiently" is wholly silly to some, you'll find.
While grinding they can try/test cars and improve their skills, in the end the point of GT has always been to play and race in order to make money and buy cars.
It has always been the case with lots of games and secondary stuff to get the 100% or platinum. If you dont have time, you wont get everything. In GT this is avoidable by spending ridiculous amount of real cash in the credits shop.

Last edited:
You mean DLC is and always will be POOR VALUE, no more no less.

No, or I would've said that. Something can't be poor value without a comparison.

Early access? who cares about early access? Early access compared to what? Whats the point of this?

I'm not sure how I can simplify "early access to these cars compared to waiting for the next full game" any further. I even used the Aventador in GT5 as an example.

The point of early access is self-evident: the early access. A company like PD will constantly be producing new cars for their game. They can either choose to hold on to all of them once a game has shipped, keeping them for the next installment - which was the only reasonable option before the days of internet-connected consoles - or they can release them in a trickle between iterations. The market dictates their success.

To make the rest jelaous? Its such nonsense mentality if you ask me.

I didn't.

If it makes you jealous - as you've suggested a few times now - then again, that's your problem, not anybody else's.

Its not envy/jealousy, its anger that people actually like to feed this ugly monster called "paying DLC"

Well, you're the one that keeps mentioning jealousy...

Again, anger that people don't share identical views.

While grinding they can try/test cars and improve their skills, in the end the point of GT has always been to play and race in order to make money and buy cars.

Phew, I'm glad you're here to tell me what the point of GT has always been.

It has always been the case with lots of games and secondary stuff to get the 100% or platinum. If you dont have time, you wont get everything. In GT this is avoidable by spending ridiculous amount of real cash in the credits shop.

And in previous generations, we had GameShark or GameGenie to do something similar. And if people want to spend the money on the credit packs - packs that, it should be noted, were widely criticized across the web leading up to GT's release, and were incredibly unpopular here on GTP - how does that negatively impact your game experience any?

Well its pretty clear we have very different point of views and I dont think we will change them so maybe the best is to stop it here...

This ×1,000,000,000. It's the second most irritating thing to say in a post other than to start it with "Am I the only one..."

No, "I'm not a fanboy, but..."? ;)

Why get angry about what other people do with their money? If they want to spend it on hookers and coke, or burn it, or spend it on crappy DLC, how does that affect you? Other than your aforementioned jealousy and rage problems, which really aren't rational responses any more than feeling jealousy and rage when you see someone driving a nice car down the street.

I can't afford a Ferrari, but I enjoy watching and listening to them go past. I don't feel jealous and angry because the owners can afford a Ferrari, even though I know in 20 years I'll probably be able to get something in my price range that drives just as well as a current Ferrari.

Attitudes like yours are what make DLC be successful and more and more expensive and ridiculous everytime (well, at least in GT's case it was not big deal)
We will end up paying 60 for the game and 150 for DLC, thanks to you guys that you accept being robbed.
I accept that developing content costs money. Something you apparently don't understand.

A pack of 10 cars is worth $10 for example?? and a track is worth $5?? Then the entire game with all those tracks and more than 1000 cars should be worth about 1500€! Thats what i'm talking about.
Because clearly all of those cars and tracks were created specifcally for GT6, and in no way copied from previous games. GT5 had 1,083 cars and 31 track locations. GT6 has 1228 cars 39 tracks, so roughly 145 cars and 8 tracks were added.
Even by your calculations, the values really aren't that far off. At least, as long as you take into account basic economics, like buying in larger quantities is cheaper than buying individually.

And all this is assuming that DLC sells as well as the games themselves, and that financial strategies for the two are the same(or even should be the same). By definition, DLC won't sell as well as the base game. That content costs the same to develop regardless of of how many people buy it, so if less people are buying, the price HAS to go up. Expecting the value to be the same is flat out irrational and stupid.

Paid DLC = fraud
Most major developers end up making a TINY(or none at all) profit off of the game, with the expectation that future DLC will bring in what they need to make their next game. Are game budgets inflated well past where they should be, and do they rely too much on DLC? Hell yeah. But this isn't an issue that can be fixed by one developer, and honestly its not half as bad as other forms of entertainment.

if a DLC pack would be about $1-$2 and it contained 10-15 cars and a couple of tracks then it would be a good deal.
That would be an AMAZING deal. Until we find out that PD went bankrupt because they stopped making enough money to cover their costs. But hey, no one wants GT7, or to even get all of the planned features for GT6, right?

I'm just gonna say... That's a bad comparison. Game : DLC :: Car : Door. It's a part of it, not a whole new thing (or old based on your opinion). The DLC does not totally remake the game. Windows OS say is GT6, whilst Word, Excel, and etc is all DLC.

To some degree, people will see its worth and purchase it. There is no force into doing so, other than what you put yourself through....

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say... That's a bad comparison. Game:DLC::Car:Door. It's a part of it, not a whole new thing (or old based on your opinion). The DLC does not totally remake the game. Windows OS say is GT6, whilst Word, Excel, and etc is all DLC.

That comparison was made in response to early access. As such, it's a valid comparison :)

I suppose in the game/portion comparison, I could use the following; it's like a potential 911 buyer complaining that, despite him only being able to purchase a base Carrera (I know, I know, the poor soul ;) ), he's not getting the Turbo S engine, or the carbon-ceramic brakes - for free. Because other people could afford those add-ons, and he's angry/envious/jealous of that.

To some degree, people will see its worth and purchase it. There is no force into doing so, other than what you put yourself through....

Exactly.

I suppose in the game/portion comparison, I could use the following; it's like a potential 911 buyer complaining that, despite him only being able to purchase a base Carrera (I know, I know, the poor soul ;) ), he's not getting the Turbo S engine, or the carbon-ceramic brakes - for free. Because other people could afford those add-ons, and he's angry/envious/jealous of that.

Yeah... Additions, rather than an overhaul.

(And I don't know why tf my post had two smilies.... I guess the colon and D is a shortcut...)

Why get angry about what other people do with their money? If they want to spend it on hookers and coke, or burn it, or spend it on crappy DLC, how does that affect you? Other than your aforementioned jealousy and rage problems, which really aren't rational responses any more than feeling jealousy and rage when you see someone driving a nice car down the street.

I can't afford a Ferrari, but I enjoy watching and listening to them go past. I don't feel jealous and angry because the owners can afford a Ferrari, even though I know in 20 years I'll probably be able to get something in my price range that drives just as well as a current Ferrari.
People buying DLC affects everyone. If no one ever bought DLC, it would've disappeared already. But if more and more people bought DLC's, then more of them would appear and probably more expensive. Therefore it would make the game more DLC-dependant, and that sucks. Dont want to spend an extra 50, 60, 70 or whatever to have the complete content of a game, thanks!
If some people are dumb and dont care if they get robbed, its not others fault!
"poor developers need money otherwise they will go bankrupt"
Yeah right, whatever... Source of all these claims please?
I cant believe that developers make a tiny profit, it would not be worth the effort then
I've always paid about 30-40-50-60€ (which equals to a little bit more $) for a game, NEVER MORE, and I'm playing videogames since about 20 years ago.
Is there a reason why, suddenly, me or anyone should pay way more for the full game (through DLC)? I dont think so!

Last edited:
You are not paying DLC to get a full game mate, normally the game have to be full when you buy it or if isn't you get free updates in order to get what you paid for initially.
Paid DLC are extra content for extra work from the developer.
For example in GT extra cars which was/are modeled after the 6 of december 2013.
:gtpflag:

To me a full game is everything, including the extra content. I never got the full GT5 because I didnt buy all those DLC's.

For me a full game is everything, including the extra content. Just like a car with full equipment means a car with ALL the extras available.

In fact what you would like it's buy a car at the entry price and get all options for free, for example leather seats and V6 turbo engine but it is not possible mate.

You pay for the game/car and can decide to enjoy this only or you can get options/paid DLC if you want extra/more.
Of course for exemple I wouldn't pay for having a hood on my car lol, when you buy a car generally you expect a hood on it but I would pay for a carbon hood option as I would pay for extra content DLC.

They are company and not charity unfortunately and would not provide work/goods for free.
They are looking for money $$$ and maximize profits as every single company.

Lol, I'm not even going to bother arguing, since apparently developing extra content AFTER THE GAME IS ALREADY RELEASED somehow means that you aren't getting the full game.

They are company and not charity unfortunately and would not provide work/goods for free.
They are looking for money $$$ and maximize profits as every single company.
I know, and are you part of the consumers, or part of the company? I am part of the consumers, and therefore I defend my group (the consumers), and not the companies.

Lol, I'm not even going to bother arguing, since apparently developing extra content AFTER THE GAME IS ALREADY RELEASED somehow means that you aren't getting the full game.
NOPE, full game is the game when nothing else will come to it. All stuff and updates are included. Or else GT6 would've been the full game in December... lol

I know, and are you part of the consumers, or part of the company? I am part of the consumers, and therefore I defend my group (the consumers), and not the companies.

NOPE, full game is the game when nothing else will come to it. All stuff and updates are included. Or else GT6 would've been the full game in December... lol

I am part of the consumer and don't worry PD isn't on my good side nowadays, I'm still waiting for what they advertised,teased….us and since 9 months now (Community features, Track Creator, Zahara).
I'm just realistic, the world work like that and since the beginning and nobody is going to change it.

Back