Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
This surprises me given the WMD membership size (what is it, about 80,000?). Is it really possible to hold embargos together with that many people in the loop?
It has worked surprisingly well actually. Im not sure why exactly, but I guess a lot of the members do truly want the game to do well so are willing to keep whats asked in the WMD forums.

However, I understand the frustration that some people are facing (seriously people, just get a gaming PC, you'll thank yourself later) so I'm hoping to be able to contribute some videos and such in the near future so that at least others can watch along with how the final stages are coming.

I look forward to seeing more clips.

Just because some people are reactionary and appear angry doesn't mean everyone has reacted badly. Compared to the GT forums the majority of people have still been fairly balanced about this delay.

Onto the console v PC dilemma sometimes it's a practicality thing. My PC gaming is done on a laptop which is not kept in the sitting room where gaming takes place on a large LED TV. It's extra setup time, moving, plug everything in and breakdown time to add to setting up the wheel and pedals in the front room. To get good performance, gaming requires a different config on my PC too. All extra hassle. A new PC tower/desktop would not fit in the sitting room. The PS2/PS3/PS4 are always there, plugged in and ready for a quick start whether it's a 30 minute blast or a 3 hour session. Easier to fit in around an entertainment system. To justify a PC session I need 3 hours free to make it worthwhile and that doesn't happen much with a young family. Consoles (and Steam boxes in the near future) are so damn convenient. Unless people have deep deep pockets PC's have to be multifunctional which in my case means they're not the first choice for gaming.

OK, so if all cars/tracks are available at start, what kind of progression is there? Yes, I'll move up as a driver but is there anything that shows me I am progressing?

So it's delayed for polishing and avoiding fights with bigger named titles?

Not the best strategy if done for avoiding other titles... By march PD might throw out a gt7 prologue or other titles can steal the moment...

In any case extra polish is always good!

With GT's track record I'd be more than surprised if they can get GT7 on store shelves before 2016. Also PCars is a different kind of RACING game & I would be surprised if GT7 can deliver the kind of experience that I'm (& probably many others) looking for.

Last edited:
OK, so if all cars/tracks are available at start, what kind of progression is there? Yes, I'll move up as a driver but is there anything that shows me I am progressing?
Assuming we're talking the career mode here, I reckon the progression will be shown by the contract offers and "fan tweets" you get and the events available in your race calendar. And also by the accolades/trophies as GT guy says. I guess it goes without saying that the cars and tracks available in the career mode depends on your progress as well. There will also be a stats page with all kinds of info about the general progression. There will be no rainbows, magic mushrooms and unicorns though :P

A career log like a CV, showing how well you finished in a particular season, would be a great feature. This is what all drivers fight for.

Example of Rene Rast career:

2014 1st ADAC GT Masters
2014 1st 24h Nürburgring - SP9 GT3
2012 1st Porsche Carrera Cup Germany
2012 1st Porsche Supercup
2011 1st Porsche Supercup
2011 1st Porsche Carrera World Cup
2010 1st Porsche Supercup
2009 2nd Porsche Supercup
2008 1st Porsche Carrera Cup Germany
2006 2nd SEAT Leon Supercopa Germany
2005 1st ADAC Volkswagen Polo Cup
2002 1st ADAC Kart Cup - ICA Junior
2001 1st Northern German ADAC Kart Cup - ICA Junior

Or if you prefer open wheel - Lewis Hamilton:

2008 1st Formula 1
2007 2nd Formula 1
2006 1st GP2 Series
2005 1st Formula 3 Euro Series
2005 1st Masters of Formula 3
2004 1st Bahrain F3 Superprix
2003 1st Formula Renault 2.0 UK
2002 3rd Formula Renault 2.0 UK
2000 1st European Championship Formula A
2000 1st World Cup Formula A
1999 2nd European Championship ICA Junior
1997 1st Super 1 National Formula Yamaha Championship
1996 1st Kartmasters British Grand Prix Cadet
1995 1st Super 1 National Cadet Championship

Both of these can be simulated in Pcars, which is what this game is all about

Yeah, I'm not seeing the same level of pCARS frustration on WMD or RD but those sites are mostly PC racers. On one hand you would think the console crowd would be more understanding because of GT as you stated, but on the other hand that could be a contributor to the frustration - again they have to wait.
The PC crowd has a lot of sim racers to choose from reducing the void for something to race. pCARS will be released when it's finished which I think is a good thing, I can wait.

Why would an WMD member be frustrated? They have the Beta and can play the game whenever they want.

Why would an WMD member be frustrated? They have the Beta and can play the game whenever they want.

And are the ones most aware that what they're "playing" now is not in any form a game. It's littered with bugs, it crashes, various bits and pieces are placeholder or not hooked up yet.

Don't make it sound like all the WMD guys are sitting there playing the final game, because it's not true. Yes, we get to drive it, but I'm as eager for it to be a completed game as the next person. It'll be very nice to just be able to play the game instead of playing amateur bughunter, or spending an hour trying to find a way to have some races without anything weird poking it's head up.

Yes, WMD members have less to be frustrated about than the general public, but don't believe for a second that they're not as interested in seeing it complete as anyone else.

Because we've got to deal with wild accusations from the uniformed masses who at the same time slam our game with opions based of a video.

Reading these threads at the moment as so frustrating because people jump to conclusions and ignore us when we're trying to explain why.

I do love it when pcars looks as sexy as real life

image.jpg

View attachment 242091

I took the liberty to modify the color temperature on the pCARS portion so it would match the real life photo a bit more. The real life photo was too warm in comparison to the pCARS one. Conversely I could have done that to the real photo to match the other one but I prefer warm tones. :)
Funnily enough when I saw the photo I thought the real life one must have been the game until I read the headings!

Funnily enough when I saw the photo I thought the real life one must have been the game until I read the headings!

It does look photo realistic. I can't imagine what games will look like in 20 years time hehe, especially with VR headseats, it is going to be a blast. Exciting times ahead!

And are the ones most aware that what they're "playing" now is not in any form a game. It's littered with bugs, it crashes, various bits and pieces are placeholder or not hooked up yet.

Don't make it sound like all the WMD guys are sitting there playing the final game, because it's not true. Yes, we get to drive it, but I'm as eager for it to be a completed game as the next person. It'll be very nice to just be able to play the game instead of playing amateur bughunter, or spending an hour trying to find a way to have some races without anything weird poking it's head up.

Yes, WMD members have less to be frustrated about than the general public, but don't believe for a second that they're not as interested in seeing it complete as anyone else.

Yes thats true and I am glad that I will get the whole experience when the game is done. I can imagine that you WMD guys maybe wont be as motivated or hyped as a non WMD member to play the game when its out. But anyway, it bugs me that I cant take a ride on the Nordschleife in any game at the moment (besides GT and AC Mod wich I dont like). You can do that whenever you want and we still have to wait another 5 months now :)

Yes thats true and I am glad that I will get the whole experience when the game is done. I can imagine that you WMD guys maybe wont be as motivated or hyped as a non WMD member to play the game when its out. But anyway, it bugs me that I cant take a ride on the Nordschleife in any game at the moment (besides GT and AC Mod wich I dont like). You can do that whenever you want and we still have to wait another 5 months now :)

IIRC there were some good Nordschleife mods for GTR2 if you don't mind a bit dated graphics (there are also some texture/reflections/skybox mods around that makes it look quite good)

edit: here's a video with most of the graphics mods i had

IIRC there were some good Nordschleife mods for GTR2 if you don't mind a bit dated graphics (there are also some texture/reflections/skybox mods around that makes it look quite good)

edit: here's a video with most of the graphics mods i had

Nope, nothing brings me back to 2000s graphics. We should get the AC Nordschleife soon and if it is as good as Spa I am more than happy and the time will pass faster till Pcars.

Latest Posts

Back