PS3 General Discussion

Could someone help me out here? I have an 80G, non-BC, that will play GT5, GRID, and Birds of Steel fine all day long. Problem is that almost anything else will play, but depending on how it was before being turned on, it will only play them for a max of three hours before it locks up. Mass Effect has been the biggest problem, but both Criterion NFS games, MK, and a few others have done it before. I have it upright, and it seems to respond better when I cut the power off instead of just putting it on stand-by. I don't want to buy a new one, but I'm getting tired of having it seize up.

May or may not work, but it's worth giving a shot I suppose.

Make a back-up of your system and a separate back-up for your save game files (for those files that aren't locked) just in case.

Delete the game data (not your game save files) of those games that give you problems

Go into safe mode and do both rebuild data base and restore system files.

Re-install game data from the games and try the games out one by one.

Forgive me @Ddrizle , I may have been over-reacting. I'll keep this in mind, but after killing my VAIO I try not to meddle in software issues. Also, while ME1 does it, and Most Wanted 2012 did it constantly (still don't know if it was the game or the system on that one), the only games I play for longer than that grace period are Arkham City and Asylum, GT5, GRID, and GRID 2 was close. Nothing else really gets more than an hour or two.

Sorry mate. Please don't hurt me?

Need help.
I have money in my PSN wallet from a PSN card and it's nearly a year since I got it.
Will my money be reset to zero when a year has past because I would need to spend it,wouldn't I?
I'm thinking of getting minecraft.

SVX
Correct about PS2 disks, but PS3s (at least slims) can play PS1 disks. I still play GT1 and GT2. :D

Oh right, I didn't know they kept the PS1 BC for the slims. I suppose the chip now costs like 50p!

Is there any way to play GT5 without the game occupying >10 GB of space on the hard disk drive? My PS3 has a capacity of only 12 GB, and I'm afraid the game will take up too much memory.

Is there any way to play GT5 without the game occupying >10 GB of space on the hard disk drive? My PS3 has a capacity of only 12 GB, and I'm afraid the game will take up too much memory.

I think not downloading patches will do it. You will experience Hard Core gran turismo 5 first hand. :D

I have already downloaded Update 2.02... plus I want play online, so I think I'm going to download all the patches. :indiff:
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Is there any way to minimize the size of the GT5 game file? I have only just started the game, yet the size (~3750 MB) is already 3 times those of other games.

I have the same problem, I've got no space for GT5 with HDD install and all the updates. I wish Sony would have made dev's reign in the install sizes on PS3 because its mostly just being lazy. Uncharted 3 needs under a gig and is the best looking game on the system!

A bit late as answers go, but the 10Gb thing was an optional install-to-HDD-thing meant to make GT5 run more smoothly (ie: not waiting for info to load from the disc.) I did that, like most folks, but after getting a gamesave corruption two years ago, I opted not to install that 10Gb buffer when I had to restart the game. Gt5 loaded fine and to be truthful, I experienced hardly any difference from when I had that space allocated.

You will need to disable the reminder message in the menu, otherwise that'll drive you mad after about a month...

A bit late as answers go, but the 10Gb thing was an optional install-to-HDD-thing meant to make GT5 run more smoothly (ie: not waiting for info to load from the disc.) I did that, like most folks, but after getting a gamesave corruption two years ago, I opted not to install that 10Gb buffer when I had to restart the game. Gt5 loaded fine and to be truthful, I experienced hardly any difference from when I had that space allocated.

You will need to disable the reminder message in the menu, otherwise that'll drive you mad after about a month...
Avoided installing the game on the HDD as well. Thanks for the answer. 👍

Does reducing the amount of cars you own from ~1500 to <200 reduces the game size as well? I'm selling my cars recently, but I have doubts about its effectiveness.

...Does reducing the amount of cars you own from ~1500 to <200 reduces the game size as well? I'm selling my cars recently, but I have doubts about its effectiveness.
I would imagine so as the gamesave holds all current info about your game. Avoid looking at the Encyclopedia bit too - maybe they've fixed that, but it did account for a lot of gamesave size increases.

Question,

Can you add an exact amount when paying via PayPal for stuff on the Playstation Store, even if its 50p?

There seems to be conflicting answers from around the net.

If not then Sony are still being stupid 8 years on.

I also was wondering if purchased Avatars could be used on different PSN accounts on the same PS3 but I think thats pretty much a NO.

Oh right, I didn't know they kept the PS1 BC for the slims. I suppose the chip now costs like 50p!
No chip needed, it emulates PS1 games through software. This makes me all the more disappointed that the PS4 doesn't play PS1 and PS2 games, when it so easily could.

Back