PS3 no sound or video on SCART or HDMI (green light)

• Thread starter citroengt1
  • 35 comments
Croatia
Zagreb
johnwalter1044
My PS3 stopped working normally about 4 months ago:

-I started the PS3 on HDMI, there was nothing.The TV didn't show "No signal".But the screen was black.

-I reset the PS3, holding the power down until i heard the second beab.Still a black screen and green light.

-I checked the connectors, tried again.No change.

-I connected it to SCART, again black screen and green light.Checked the connectors, and again the same.

-I also tried the safemode boot option. On both SCART and HDMI.Again black screen and green light.

-Tried with different SCART and HDMI cables, no change.

-Also the my PS3 can only be turned on "on" the console power button. Pressing the PS button on both controlers didn't turn on the PS3 when it was off.

I've browsed the web, most people say that in this case the problem is the hard drive.
And i really don't want to remove 2 years of GT6 data.

My PS3 stopped working normally about 4 months ago:

-I started the PS3 on HDMI, there was nothing.The TV didn't show "No signal".But the screen was black.

-I reset the PS3, holding the power down until i heard the second beab.Still a black screen and green light.

-I checked the connectors, tried again.No change.

-I connected it to SCART, again black screen and green light.Checked the connectors, and again the same.

-I also tried the safemode boot option. On both SCART and HDMI.Again black screen and green light.

-Tried with different SCART and HDMI cables, no change.

-Also the my PS3 can only be turned on "on" the console power button. Pressing the PS button on both controlers didn't turn on the PS3 when it was off.

I've browsed the web, most people say that in this case the problem is the hard drive.
And i really don't want to remove 2 years of GT6 data.

When you turn on the PS3 and it goes to a black screen, do you have to hold down the power button to turn it off, or can you just tap the button so that it turns off normally?

Just wondering, have you tried different ports on your TV or another TV entirely?

It does sound like something serious, especially if your unable to turn on the console from the controller.

When you turn on the PS3 and it goes to a black screen, do you have to hold down the power button to turn it off, or can you just tap the button so that it turns off normally?

I forgot to mention, the only way i can turn it off is by switching off power on the button behind, or unplugging the console.And no, holding the power button down doesn't do anything.

Just wondering, have you tried different ports on your TV or another TV entirely?

It does sound like something serious, especially if your unable to turn on the console from the controller.

I tried my old big ass TV with the SCART, didn't work.Tried with different SCART cable, also didn't work.
The same goes for the HDMI and the new TV.

I forgot to mention, the only way i can turn it off is by switching off power on the button behind, or unplugging the console.And no, holding the power button down doesn't do anything.

I tried my old big ass TV with the SCART, didn't work.Tried with different SCART cable, also didn't work.
The same goes for the HDMI and the new TV.

Ah, ok.

It's the PSU (Power Supply)- I had this problem too.

You're going to have to get your PS3 repaired.

Alright, any advice on improvements in the parts or further usage so i can avoid this problem better?

Just keep it well ventilated, I guess.

And perform the fan test often to clear out any dust from inside the console; this is done by turning off the PS3 completely (either plugging it out via the mains, or if you have a 'fat' PS3, turning it off using the switch), then holding the eject button when turning the power back on via the mains.

1. Turn the power off completely- no power should be going to it.
  2. Hold the eject button.
  3. Turn the PS3 on via the mains (or the switch at the back of the PS3 itself) - it should turn itself on and perform the fan test.

Immediately after the fan turn off, the red light started ti blink on and off.

That's to indicate the fan test has been completed.

You're all good to turn it off again (via the mains/switch) and see if that's made any difference to the performance of your PS3 for the time being.

Turned it of.Then turned it on. Still the same. No video, no sound, on SCART on the old TV with a green light.
And the controller, when PS button is pressed, keeps blinking, meaning it cannot connect with the PS3.

Turned it of.Then turned it on. Still the same. No video, no sound, on SCART on the old TV with a green light.
And the controller, when PS button is pressed, keeps blinking, meaning it cannot connect with the PS3.

Yep, that means your power supply is well and truly borked. You'll need to get that repaired.

Thank you so much for your help.
The kind of advice people give on these forums for gaming is scarce anywhere else on the web.

Look on YouTube for DIY videos for repairs on your PS3. Replacing the power supply is very easy, if you have some screwdriver skills.

I did open the PS3 (i have a fat version, btw) once, and i vacuumed all the dust i could find.
And for the sensitive small components i used a soft brush to nudge the dust off and vacuumed again.

After that i played for a month, then the black screen and green light happened.

I have just been in a service shop, where i asked and explained the situation.
The guy told me that the problem is probably the Video, not the Power Supply.
He said that if it was the Power Supply, the PS3 wouldn't even start.

So to hell with it, just lost my GT6 data and a PS3. Lucky me...

It's not that (video related). If it were, then no power would be making it past the PS3 to make it run at all. The issue with the power supply is that the circuitry is fried and is not delivering the same amount of power as it was, limiting the hardware that can be operated.

He just said that the issue is video related to get more money from you.

I would open it up and have a good check of it's insides, see if all cables and securely plugged in. Check for any leaking capacitors or solder breaks etc. Internal spare parts are pretty affordable to replace.

As for the save data, I'm not sure on this but if you can power on the machine (just can't see the picture) you might be able to do a hard drive restore to a new PS3 through an Ethernet cable initiated on the new console. Have a read up to see if it's possible because I heard something about it before.

As for the save data, I'm not sure on this but if you can power on the machine (just can't see the picture) you might be able to do a hard drive restore to a new PS3 through an Ethernet cable initiated on the new console. Have a read up to see if it's possible because I heard something about it before.
Depends if there's even enough power for the arm to go over and read in the clone process.

What you could do if you had a newer PS3, is take out the hard drive, find a cable that can plug into it and a computer/laptop, get the newer hard drive and find the same cable. Then find a cloning program that can chose both the host and target disks to clone. That should fix the issue.

Never heard of an ethernet transfer but if there is an option within the system settings that may be the easier option.

It's not that (video related). If it were, then no power would be making it past the PS3 to make it run at all. The issue with the power supply is that the circuitry is fried and is not delivering the same amount of power as it was, limiting the hardware that can be operated.

He just said that the issue is video related to get more money from you.

That's what occurred to me as well.
Okay i'll try to open it up, i'll send pictures if i have questions about anything else.
Thank you guys for the help so far, really.:bowdown:

Mine is doing the same.

I highly doubt is power supply related, boot up sequence and even the disc drive starts operating, it just wont boot or show video (the console does not respond to wireless controller command, which means that some boot up sector on the console is not working, and no wifi or cpu leds show activity).

I'm researching some alternatives to boot up (USB jailbreak-like process, to start from USB perhaps, or recover the root from the OS), Sony made the console so unnecessarily complicated, at least with the 360 so you could know what was wrong (or you can trust what went wrong).

The most likely candidate is dust, the second candidate is GPU damage, and the third candidate is PSU. The GPU is of concern as replacing that is basically replacing the console, other two are fixable. I'll run some test once I get some free time and I'll update the thread, but I honestly don't think is the PSU, mostly because almost all components work, is just that it doesn't complete the boot up, which is the main problem for the no video thing.

I've tried all combinations before, JoshB1984.

Okay so i've taken the PS3 apart completely, down to the motherboard.I've cleaned every bit of dust i could find,
removed the old thermal paste, and added a new one, on both the CPU and GPU.
Then i placed everything back together and plugged the PS3 in the old TV with the A/V cables.

First i did that fan testing, by holding the eject button, and swicthing on the power behind.
The fan test went as last time, fine.
Then i started the PS3 normally, again black screen and green light.
I also tried resetting the video output by holding the start button until the second beap.
Still the same.

I'm sorry to say it, but there's nothing else i can do to fix anything.
Either i sell it for scraps or dump it.

I also found out that i have 40GB HDD inside.

I am not even gonna bother trying the HMDI.
If the video processing is down, then there's no way the HDMI could work.

Thank you guys and gals for your amazing support for this issue of mine.👍
I'm just sad because i didn't drive GT6 for 5 months now...it's getting to my nerves.
:scared:

So i ventured again to try to fix my same broken PS3 mention above in the comments.
I went to their Online Service Tool and followed 2 steps which lead me to
a fill out form where i needed to input the PS3 serial code on the back.

After checking the input several times if it was good, i got this:
"Please check that you have entered a valid serial number"
This is the number:

So either my bought "Used" PS3 was never registered (impossible since i played online for 2 years without errors)
or something is wrong with the PSN again.

have you tried powering up your PS3 without the hard drive connected. If you have some text pop up on your screen you can at least confirm the hard drive is the problem. - At least this type of test doesnt cost anything and will give you closure on whether or not the hard drive is at fault.

Back