rFactor 2 v982 32/64Bit

• Thread starter Voltaic
  • 2,320 comments
rF2 going 64bit next week(maybe)!

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/20167-rFactor-2-Memory-Usage-Upgrades-In-Upcoming-Build

http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-going-64bit

"We’ve been hard at work recently on the overall experience rFactor 2 provides. Key to this; decreasing the chances of users running out of system memory, and increasing code efficiency with more range for CPU instructions, improving overall performance.

What uses system memory, and why? Well, system memory (RAM) has much faster access times than a hard drive or swap file. Games use RAM to read, write and temporarily store items for quicker access than other storage methods.

For something like rFactor 2, this means every car, race track, car livery, track building, texture of grass, asphalt, concrete – everything you see in the simulation – takes up RAM. The more cars you add (be they A.I. or in multiplayer), the larger the track, or the more detail you have to load, the more RAM is filled.

With a 32-bit environment, it is only possible to allocate to 4GB of RAM. These days, with increased texture sizes, more accurate 3D models – like we have been producing since our first release of Silverstone Circuit – 4GB is becoming a lower ceiling.

A 64-bit environment is a fantastic thing, it can theoretically handle 17.2 billion GB of RAM. By going 64-bit, you effectively take the ceiling off. Systems with 8GB, 16GB or more can take advantage by running on larger tracks, with higher texture levels and more cars.

We highly recommend that upon release, those with suitable systems try our new 64bit executables. However, what about those of you who can’t? Good news! We have also made memory usage gains in 32-bit during this process. Not only will those using our new 64-bit executables gain from this work, 32-bit users will as well, although it is important to remember that in 32-bit, a 4GB limit will always hang over you if you run high texture levels, or many opponent cars. However, going forward, effective use of the swap file beyond the RAM limit may allow you to bypass halted execution at the expense of performance.
"

I trashed RF2 for the longest time, but lately things are looking real good and its quickly becoming my go to sim of choice.

I'll wait on the 64bit exe until I know my plugins work with it. I don't want my Dashmeterpros becoming useless or my other plugins. It'll be nice, but I have only ever run into memory issues trying an old version of the BES mod at an old version of LeClair's Nords.

But it is a great step in the right direction!

I'll wait on the 64bit exe until I know my plugins work with it. I don't want my Dashmeterpros becoming useless or my other plugins. It'll be nice, but I have only ever run into memory issues trying an old version of the BES mod at an old version of LeClair's Nords.

But it is a great step in the right direction!

It is great news no matter which version you use. The 32Bit has also been improved according to the announcement. We will find out next week, hopefully.

rF2 is not working for me guys...
Out of nowhere it stopped working, only changes from last week when it worked fine is a new CPU and triple screens.
It simply just won't start, I open the launcher but it won't give me the option to enter the Single Player, Online Race or Developer options. I already uninstalled and deleted everything and did a fresh install, don't know what else to do.
Here's how it looks like, the images just won't turn to color like they used to when the game is ready:
rF2_Issues.png

Help??
:-(

You may need to contact ISI. There must be an error on your license given the displayed message. Another possibility is that they are upgrading some servers for the 64bit version coming up. Though I had no issues today.

The writing's on the wall. I have totally lost patience with this game and with ISI. It occurred to me- wading through the multitudinous bugs and problems this POS game has that I'm fed up. Empty servers, small grids, BUGS EVERYWHERE and we are 2 1/2 years into it. There's no excuses anymore. I think it's time to jump ship. I could explain my frustrations but if you read the stuff around on rF2 and only believe half of it, you've heard about twice as much **** as I care to deal with. I want pCARS and I want to be done with rF2 for good.

This past week has just frustrated me so bad with this game. Pick any one of the dozens of gotchas and problems this game has and I have experienced it this week. And ISI doesn't care about the game- they are developing it to license and the gamers who struggle with it don't matter. Look at the wishlist thread and all the things we have asked for for 2 years now. They have delivered nothing. And also the clutch is a joke, it is such an integral part of the car, for them to ignore it is a game breaker itself.

guybo

I can understand your frustration, it takes a lot of patience at the moment. The way I look at it is that I have no choice. I've been using pCARS since it became open beta. Though I generally like it, it is no where near rFactor 2's potential. And talk about bugs...

Assetto Corsa will be fun, sadly Kunos decided to target gamers more than serious sim racers. The evidence is in the type of penalties they chose. Time will tell.

iRacing is not for me for a number of reasons.

That leaves only rFactor 2 as a "Full Flag" sim, best physics, best AI and FFB.

ISI is small, maybe that's bad, maybe that's great. rFactor 1 is/was incredible despite its flaws. I think rF2 will build on that and mature into the best all around sim, for fun, league racing as well as solo.

YES, it is frustrating, I for one love rF2 and have no choice but to be patient. Hang in there!

PS; Have you tried Race Department? They have fun and competitive series, so does CMS. Also, I really don't see why we can't try to get something going here. Surely there are enough of us that can meet at a server and have some fun. It is the Summer though...

Last edited:
No one is racing this game online, we can't even get a piece of the forum- we get a thread because no one is playing because rF2 is stillborn. We would not be able to get our own league going here.

CMS does have big grids and they have great racing- the community they have has been together a lot of years through a lot of sims. RD has some decent size grids but I have yet to have a good race over there, I have seen a lot of bad driving and cheating though. Same with ISR.

Jav

Did you manage to resolve the issue?

Maybe due to ISI Adding/upgrading servers for 64bit release(?).
Not really, haven't really had the time to look into it or getting around posting over at the ISI forums...

No one is racing this game online, we can't even get a piece of the forum- we get a thread because no one is playing because rF2 is stillborn. We would not be able to get our own league going here.

CMS does have big grids and they have great racing- the community they have has been together a lot of years through a lot of sims. RD has some decent size grids but I have yet to have a good race over there, I have seen a lot of bad driving and cheating though. Same with ISR.

As soon as money permits I will have an rF2 server running for us. In fact I finished it last year, unfortunately the MB I had was acting up. I am transitioning work but I have been keeping an eye on buying a new MB. If I can pick one up cheap we are in business. Trouble is that is but one of the items on my list, I desperately need a new PC, new CPU and GPU at a minimum.

Can someone tell me why all of a sudden my custom skin looks fine in the garage but not on track? The skin looks striped and flipped. This issue also happened to me inrFactor1 a long time ago.

Update: I may have figured it out. It seems, for my system at least, if you set the "Player Detail" to High" vs "Full" the skin looks distorted.

Last edited:
guybo

45 car grid this Saturday! Which car are you driving? I'm with the Corvette, I hope my system can handle such a large grid...all I'm looking for is to finish the race...if I survive the first few laps :)

x64 is not all that exciting. It will prevent the game from crashing on big tracks with big grids and that's it. The AI is not advanced enough to race against so racing against lots of AI offline is not feasible anyway. Online you'll never find enough people racing for big grids. x64 is a non-issue- it will not increase performance of the game.

Consistent File Formatting to replace ini

http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-consistent-file-format-coming

"rFactor 2 – Consistent File Format Coming
Aside from adding new content and features to their rFactor 2 simulation, Image Space Incorporated is also working on the simulation’s foundation.

Adding to the on-going 64-bit version work, ISI has announced that rFactor 2 will switch to JSON file formats in upcoming builds :

ISI will be using JSON file formats in upcoming builds. This replaces, most notably for most users, INI file format. We will gradually move all files to a single format, and JSON is it, giving consistency for editing and usage across what are currently mixed filetypes.

Tools, APIs, Libraries are readily available on the Web to parse and manipulate, and many platforms and languages are supported. Most users will be able to make the same changes they did previously with INI files by simply opening the JSON file with notepad. However, as with the INI file it is important to understand the formatting to avoid issues. For example, here is an unpopulated line just to show formatting:
“”:””,

A populated line would look like:
“Lobby Chat Nickname”:”Tim Wheatley”,

A populated line with no data entry would look like:
“Lobby Chat Nickname”:””,

A ‘commented out’, information only line would look like:
“Lobby Chat Nickname#”:”Nickname shown in lobby chat”,

Information only lines with the # at the end of the first section, should not be edited, they exist to explain what the populated line (usually right above it) actually does.

All new ISI web services (and many other companies like Google, Microsoft, etc) use JSON for marshalling. Object nature for set operations (union, intersections, complements), using data, is much easier for varying application needs and precedents. For example, think if user has some setting configured, but a server has higher precedent for a setting, it can override the player setting much easier. Driver aid options, etc, will all be enforced easily."

The 92 mod looks like it is coming along well, but without a decent clutch model in the game, it won't ever be simulated right. You just cannot simulate any older series without the clutch- properly using the clutch is as important as using the other 2 pedals in cars that have it. But it is looking like ISI is not planning on ever implementing a clutch in the sim and they are hamstringing the potential for this sim for historical series.

The sim is only good for modern series with autoclutch.

guybo, give them a chance.

If any of you are participating in today's CMS event, I wish you good luck! But sta out of my way :)

What a fun and frustrating race. I loved it though.

rF2 is just the best in these kinds of events. Started 12th, after a series of disasters in the middle of the night, I managed to finish 12th. Unfortunately I had to launch a protest against another driver who intentionally cut me off, left me with a sour taste.

I tried the rF2 64bit for a little while today. I must say it runs beautifully smooth. My FPS increased significantly after the initial load of the track. Basically I am getting twice the frame rate with much higher graphic settings. Very nice indeed.

Back