Riddick. Best loking game on any console. more than just looks too.

• Thread starter LaBounti
  • 32 comments
Labounti
The graphics in Riddick are incredible. The beat out Halo2 by far. From what I've seen of Halo 2 Riddick's atmosphere is breath taking and looks far more sophisticated. There are some loose ends here in there but the quality is pure CGI caliber.

Graphics aside the game is fun and in some ways reminds me of Manhunt with its mutiple ways to kill someone other than a bullet to the head. Its not a long game and there is no multiplayer. I would say rent it for those resons or buy it if you are a Riddick/ Vin Diesel fan.

The fact that it has Cole Hauser(Johns from Pitch Black) and Ron Pearlman(Hell Boy) adds to the joy of controlling what feels like a movie, The hip hop artist Xzibit is in there aswell.

There are some control issues like the responce seeming off but it takes a while to get used to.

By far the best looking game out right now on PS2 or Xbox.

edit: Link to Gamespots review 9.3 lRiddick Review

well, i got this game when it came out, a few days ago, and its OK. its not my favorite, but its not bad either. the Graphics are pretty good, I wouldnt say the best out of anything out, cause gt3 beats that on ps2 imo. But anyways, i get the linear feeling when I play this game, and it seems repetetive at times
Bottom line: Its one of those you play thru once and you trade it in.

Rented it. I am very impressed so far, but Labounti's statement about the graphics surpassing Halo 2's are a little overenthusiastic. The normal mapping technique works amazingly well, but Bungie's artists really push stuff beyond the tech with their designs and smart engineering.

P.S. Playing through the cryo chamber part right now.
Best looking room in the game so far.

cryo is right near the end. I finished the game in two days. Nice but unfortunately very short and I got motion sickness sometimes (because of the dark indoor corridors etc..)

Oh yea, and I wish I could play in third person view all the time. Eh, its between a buy and a rent. If it had multiplayer then it would be a buy, but right now I'd say buy it, play it thru a bit and then just sell it next week on Ebay when the Riddick craze starts (movie comes out this weekend)

I haven't seen anything in Halo 2 thats not in Halo 1 as far as graphics.

"From what I've seen of Halo 2, Riddick's atmosphere is breath taking and looks far more sophisticated"

Halo 2 gallery

Compare their renders from both games. Then the screen shots. Then go and actually PLAY Halo. Then watch the Halo 2 trailers. Then put your foot in your mouth. :)

If you still think you are correct, you sir, know nothing about graphics.

Normal Mapping is technically superior to bump-mapping, that is about the ONLY thing more sophisticated and "atmospheric" as you put it. I don't know how much more atmosphere you need when you have aliens blowing everything up around you, marines screaming and shooting, pieces of the environment crumbling and aircraft and vehicles raining loud destruction on each other. With much, much nicer particle effects, artwork, and animations (goes double for the animations, which were rather poor in Riddick, except the Motion-captured stuff for Vin himself).

Doom 3 pwns both Halo 2 and Riddick. The bump mapping on the creatures is nothing short of AMAZING. Can you say best graphics of any game yet?

LaBounti
As far as games that are out now Riddick is pixle king. Doom 3 does look great not soo cartoony like *cough Halo2.

He didn't check out the link. That's the only explanation I can think of. I'm not going into a graphic whore debate with someone who uses the term "pixle king" anyway.

i think that the game's graphics are really good on textures but anything other than that it is not good, the fog is horrible, the game is very jaggy, the clips arent that great it seems very jaggy for this and nit very smooth, also close up you can see where the programers put in breaks for like the neck and the head, it overlaps and looks bad. thy fixed the overhang problem where dead bodies hang stiff over the ledges but the bodies still overlap. so far this is the game that has the best texture graphics of all time, the tile is tile and skin is skin, but maby its just good with wet or shiny graphics, i dont know i bought it and i am not insulting the game itself i love it, it might have the playability of halo but there are some spots to fix.

OMFG just got riddick, ITS INCREDIBLE, i can not believe it's a console game, it's allmost TOO good. The hand to hand combat is SO brutal :D

hmm. the shot gun counter next to a wall is probably the most brutal. :) Reminds me of Manhunt with multiple ways to kill a person.

alright riddick is not like other video games its not fruity tooty you can just walk up to a person and beat the living @#!* out of somebody or stab them in the chest and they got the real actors to do voices i espescialy liked how they had xibit be the head guard and the game has some of the best grapics that i have ever seen but there was one thing and dont get me wrong but I didnt like about it was that it was too short I mean i beat it in like 2 days it was worth the money to buy it but i hope they come out with a second one soon

They are :). There will be a PC version but no news of extra features. It's the foundation of how id like all FPS to be, not just shooting.

I'm sorry, but Riddick isn't like any other game ever...The Story is cheezy, the graphix were medeocre when not used on a HDTV, the interaction was lame and horribly scripted...Yes they got a few people with names to do voices...They did the same thing for Alter Echo too, but that game went no where. The game seemed almost as if they did 80% of it, got really sick of work and got a Community College Java class to finish the game. Mutants Exploding?
Magically learning how to pilot a mech with such percision...And I could have sworn when you faught the mech yourself Weapons didn't hurt it, but when you're in it...."Random Guard #1: Played by Omar Epps" or whoever could damage you. It was a crappy story to a crappy prequal to a crappy movie in a crappy series.
Not to mention how short the game is, and that it has ABSOLUTELY NO replay factor at all.

At the end of the day if you want a game with guns and have it be enjoyable....Don't buy CoR...Get PsiOps

Driftster
I'm sorry, but Riddick isn't like any other game ever...The Story is cheezy, the graphix were medeocre when not used on a HDTV, the interaction was lame and horribly scripted...Yes they got a few people with names to do voices...They did the same thing for Alter Echo too, but that game went no where. The game seemed almost as if they did 80% of it, got really sick of work and got a Community College Java class to finish the game. Mutants Exploding?
Magically learning how to pilot a mech with such percision...And I could have sworn when you faught the mech yourself Weapons didn't hurt it, but when you're in it...."Random Guard #1: Played by Omar Epps" or whoever could damage you. It was a crappy story to a crappy prequal to a crappy movie in a crappy series.
Not to mention how short the game is, and that it has ABSOLUTELY NO replay factor at all.

At the end of the day if you want a game with guns and have it be enjoyable....Don't buy CoR...Get PsiOps

I completely disagree with the above. If anything, Psi-Ops is the mediocre of the two. Theyre both good games, but Riddick is far and away more worth your time if you have any common sense or taste.

The story mode/fetch quest RPG elements were the most interesting aspect to me, along with the hand to hand stuff. The shooting was rather bland and unfulfilling. Besides, the game deserves lots of credit for giving you the option to wack guys in the back of the shins with a club, slit throats, slash chests, make people shoot themselves with their own guns and stab people in the kidneys. 👍

"It was a crappy story to a crappy prequal to a crappy movie in a crappy series." :)

One would expect you to not like the game then.

I dont like Pokemon, so I'm not going to play the game then rant about how much i dont like it or the series.

So is that all the rebuttle there is? ....I give a handfull of valid points and all I get a response to was "I'm not going to like the game if I don't like the series"
And "You can kill people in many ways"

LaBounti
"It was a crappy story to a crappy prequal to a crappy movie in a crappy series." :)

One would expect you to not like the game then.

I dont like Pokemon, so I'm not going to play the game then rant about how much i dont like it or the series.

alright when you say that the movies suck then you have absolutley no taste in movies you are probaly a person that thinks waynes world is the greatest movie ever made you @#%^ing retard for saying that P***Y ops was better then riddick and the movies sucked

Driftster
So is that all the rebuttle there is? ....I give a handfull of valid points and all I get a response to was "I'm not going to like the game if I don't like the series"
And "You can kill people in many ways"

Look, we can't MAKE you have good taste, so if you don't like the game, fine. Why stick around trying to prove a point when your points were not valid, they were just your lousy opinions. If the quality and polish of the presentation, graphics, gameplay, and sound weren't enough to impress you, then you just need to look elsewhere. To anybody with common sense or taste (or both), the game was quite good. Labounti's statement made perfect sense. Try rereading it and thinking about it you numbskull.

kinigitt
Look, we can't MAKE you have good taste, so if you don't like the game, fine. Why stick around trying to prove a point when your points were not valid, they were just your lousy opinions. If the quality and polish of the presentation, graphics, gameplay, and sound weren't enough to impress you, then you just need to look elsewhere. To anybody with common sense or taste (or both), the game was quite good. Labounti's statement made perfect sense. Try rereading it and thinking about it you numbskull.

ok explain to me how a movie is good when a man can survive a billion degree heat flash..just by covering himself in a 1/4 of a canteen of water.....
NEXT explain to me how Furions BONE STRUCTURE is any different from any other humans so how come his bones don't break.......How does a man's burnt skeleton get up and walk....

Lousy opinions? I could have sworn everything I stated were all facts about the gameplay not ...."Well I don't THINK this is any good"...It was a A.B.C. Statement, no opinions.

No you can't MAKE me have good taste, and I can't MAKE you think about a game moreso than it's box art. I came here to say what I had to say expecting there to be ONE intelligent person that would be able to say. "You know you're right, the game and the movie have alot of retarded mistakes that make it corny, but I like it anyway".....Not just complete denial

"ok explain to me how a movie is good when a man can survive a billion degree heat flash..just by covering himself in a 1/4 of a canteen of water.....
NEXT explain to me how Furions BONE STRUCTURE is any different from any other humans so how come his bones don't break.......How does a man's burnt skeleton get up and walk..."

What in the hell does that have to do with the game? I thought the movie was lame, but I loved the game. It was well-made, a nice surprise, considering most movie-games are terrible. Who the hell cares about silly innacuracies of one action movie, especially if you don't care for it anyway?

We're talking about the game, which you bashed based on YOUR OPINIONS. The only "ABC fact" you came up with was that it was short, which people have already brought up. So you came in here and brought zero new facts about the game and why it sucks so much. Good job.

edit

No opinions huh?

"The Story is cheezy, the graphix were medeocre when not used on a HDTV, the interaction was lame and horribly scripted..." Uh huh...IN YOUR OPINION

"Mutants Exploding?" Like that is nessessarily a bad thing... You just don't like it.

"It was a crappy story to a crappy prequal to a crappy movie in a crappy series." Hmm... I see a pattern here.

"...it has ABSOLUTELY NO replay factor at all." some people wouldn't think so. That's like saying a movie has no replay value once you've seen it. I wonder why people buy so many DVDs then? Oh, it's because they like revisiting them once in a while.

Back