Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 Visual Comparison

• Thread starter HuskyGT
  • 172 comments
After scouring the internet, for some reason you can't find anything having to do with the FT 86 on the US Toyota site, but you can build to order FR-S and the BRZ from both Scion and Subaru respectively...wonder if that means the GT 86 will come to the US as a Lexus or not at all. Also the FR-S is a 2013 model and not a 2012, there is no 2012 model according to Scion.com.

There is going to be a Subaru reissue I think.

The Subaru version, the "BR-Z" is for sale now.

After scouring the internet, for some reason you can't find anything having to do with the FT 86 on the US Toyota site, but you can build to order FR-S and the BRZ from both Scion and Subaru respectively...wonder if that means the GT 86 will come to the US as a Lexus or not at all. Also the FR-S is a 2013 model and not a 2012, there is no 2012 model according to Scion.com.

The Toyota GT86 will NOT be coming to the USA. We're only getting the Scion FR-S and Subaru BR-Z. There will never be a Lexus version.

Are you 100% sure as it looks like the 'seats' are just some seat-shaped trim pieces, on the other hand i'm probably just confusing it with the CRZ, as the US versions of that are 2 seater's rather than 2+2's!

Yes I am 100% sure.

You think this is bad? Wait until PD finally makes a classic Premium Mini.

There's the Morris Mini Minor and Austin Seven, the Morris Mini Minor Cooper and Austin Seven Cooper (nevermind the Cooper S versions), then there are slightly different versions (regarding exterior detailing but using the same bodyshell) like the Wolseley Hornet and Riley Elf.
Then there's the first Clubman (nevermind all the Mk1, Mk2, versions/facelifts that preceded it) and did I already mention the Mini build in Italy by Innocenti?

the other day I was thinking of buying a classic mini and stomped into that. I always thought it was a minor issue like with...skylines.

You seriously think every one of those cars look exactly the same?

look at it from a developer's point of view. Those mostly cosmetic changes are very, very, very, very easy to do. It's right on the grey line of duplicates.

How is the inclusion of a duplicate (car from different markets i.e. Japan, US) an issue? If a car (FR-S) is the same car(86 GT '12) but sold in a different market doesn't that make this commonplace and how the industry works?

Is this point relevant to the opinions of those who want better DLC?*I do not share this opinion as I could take it or leave it. I appreciate whatever they give us for free as it is an extra.

finnracer
Are you 100% sure as it looks like the 'seats' are just some seat-shaped trim pieces, on the other hand i'm probably just confusing it with the CRZ, as the US versions of that are 2 seater's rather than 2+2's!

Seen the real car, and it has rear seats. Same with GT5.

Key phrase: "almost identical" I never claimed they were exactly the same, or that I couldn't tell the difference. They are different, but for the most part, in the tiniest of cosmetic detail.

The concepts are hardly the same.

The Toyota GT86 will NOT be coming to the USA. We're only getting the Scion FR-S and Subaru BR-Z. There will never be a Lexus version.

Interesting, I don't even understand why Subaru would release the exact same car. Make it different by putting their own spin on things, like a power boost or something. Strange that someone said that the platform can't support AWD, in this day and age I doubt any new platform built will not be able to support AWD transmission layout it's economic and makes sense to be able to support useful technologies. Check out Dodge's line up as well as Cadillac's, AWD is something that is wanted and has been advanced enough that it's weight and impact on gas mileage has been reduced. I'd take an AWD layout any day over a FR layout, which is why I love Audi's and performance AWD cars. Subaru needs to put their stamp on this thing and not just have basically the identical car to Scion. In all honesty a RWD Subaru just doesn't sound right at all. Scion RWD awesome, Subie, meh give me my symmetrical AWD please coupled with 250hp turbo boxer 4. Funny that this BRZ retail for the same price as the AWD Impreza....lack of sense if you ask me.

Interesting, I don't even understand why Subaru would release the exact same car. Make it different by putting their own spin on things, like a power boost or something.

You do know that this car was 90% designed and developed by Subaru, right? The only thing Toyota helped with was the styling and their direct injection on the engine. Everything else was all Subaru...

Strange that someone said that the platform can't support AWD, in this day and age I doubt any new platform built will not be able to support AWD transmission layout it's economic and makes sense to be able to support useful technologies.

Well believe it. The engine sits too far back for the typical Subaru AWD system to work. The car was designed to be RWD, nothing else.

Check out Dodge's line up as well as Cadillac's, AWD is something that is wanted and has been advanced enough that it's weight and impact on gas mileage has been reduced. I'd take an AWD layout any day over a FR layout, which is why I love Audi's and performance AWD cars.

AWD is nice and all, but nothing will ever surpass the handling feel of a small, lightweight RWD car.

Subaru needs to put their stamp on this thing and not just have basically the identical car to Scion.

Refer to my first response.

In all honesty a RWD Subaru just doesn't sound right at all. Scion RWD awesome, Subie, meh give me my symmetrical AWD please coupled with 250hp turbo boxer 4. Funny that this BRZ retail for the same price as the AWD Impreza....lack of sense if you ask me.

You do know that Subaru hasn't always made AWD cars, right? In fact, until recently the base model Impreza could be purchased in FWD.

For these people complaining that PD shouldn't be spending time on this, you realize they probably didn't take 5 months to do this? Just some edits of the Toyota 86 and plus, it's free! If you want it, get it. If not, don't. They probably already did some other cars, just waiting to release them in a few weeks. Some of you guys need to appreciate PD's hard work sometimes. And it's probably for marketing reasons only, because I don't see any other reason to release the FR-S. Although I wanted the BRZ over the 86 in the first place.

For these people complaining that PD shouldn't be spending time on this, you realize they probably didn't take 5 months to do this? Just some edits of the Toyota 86 and plus, it's free! If you want it, get it. If not, don't. They probably already did some other cars, just waiting to release them in a few weeks. Some of you guys need to appreciate PD's hard work sometimes. And it's probably for marketing reasons only, because I don't see any other reason to release the FR-S. Although I wanted the BRZ over the 86 in the first place.

that was the only thing we heard from PD in 5 months, so we don't know.

Honestly I disagree. I think GT5 is near the end of it's lifespan. They're already hard at work on GT6 and can only devote so many resources to GT5 before they have to give up on it and move on.

Honestly I disagree. I think GT5 is near the end of it's lifespan. They're already hard at work on GT6 and can only devote so many resources to GT5 before they have to give up on it and move on.

I think the DLC basically is a part of GT6 development. The DLC we're getting might just be select content which eventually will find its way to GT6.

Yeah, because PD can just add any car in whenever they feel like it. :rolleyes:

Since Scion is in the NCD now I hope they add in more Scion's.
Like the Scion tC, maybe? :D
i_tc_features_rs_intro.jpg

No, they will add the Scion xD:

2008-Scion-xD-RS-1-0-01.jpg

Some UGLY car XD

Back