Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

Wierdly the only things that have given me any motion sickness have been those bits that are supposed to remove it. Mainly the blinker effects in RIGS and Wipeout (as well as the default lock), switched it off in Wipeout and all was good. Can't see an option to do the same in RIGS.

I can believe that because these blinker things take away information from your peripheral vision that your brain needs in order to process the situation. That said I can also understand where they do seem to help a lot of people, and I like the way that WipEout handles it, in that it turns the blinkers into part of the cockpit. I’ve not tried RIGS yet as, to be honest, the gameplay video in the PS store didn’t really appeal to me.

Speaking of blinkers, and given that you’re really into Dirt Rally, have you found a way to turn off the “shutters” that come down when you make a very slight error of judgement and end up rolling the car?

Speaking of blinkers, and given that you’re really into Dirt Rally, have you found a way to turn off the “shutters” that come down when you make a very slight error of judgement and end up rolling the car?
Not yet, they annoy me as well, always feel like I'm falling asleep as the 'eyes' close.

Crazy me just went to the store for a little easter present. PSVR was set up rather quick. First thing i tried was the VR showroom - impressive stuff. It is like a Forzavista 2.0, you will notice details you have never seen before on these cars. You can stand there, lean over the car, looking into it like in real life. On track, i felt a bit dizzy at first, but the level of immersion is incredible. The ups and downs of a track like the Nürburgring can really been felt and seen in 3D. You're looking to the side and see your ingame-shoulder and the cars interior. You will also notice some new trackside details. It is quite the experience.

I noticed two downsides though. The VR resolution is laughable, everything looks pixelated and blurry. Also, when the VR headset is on, the TV will display no HDR (and no 4K?). When you turn off the VR headset, the game will run in 4K HDR as usual. But at least you dont have to switch any cables with the new version.

TT IOM is fast in large screen cinematic mode!!

I also forgot that 3D Blu Ray's in PSVR are worth a try if you do not have a 3D TV this is a great way to watch a few 3D Blu Rays. I recently watched Suicide Squad in 3D and a few other films, pretty good I thought :cheers:

Edit: Oh and Fisherman's Ranch in GTS (Cockpit view) :mischievous: Those jumps and big hills are much bigger than you think from playing on the TV and worth a few TT laps.

So far in GTS (I might be wrong) I can not find an option to make the seat go up and down and it sits too high for me in cockpit. For the time being I just press 'options' to reset while sinking lower in the chair and this seems to hold and work.:sly:

Dirt Rally is not a problem as you can program the seat to go (up/down/front/back) on the d-pad or wheel and go really close to the wheel if you need to.

Also don't over look one of the first VR games Drive Club Cars add on in VR (Although much 'blurrier' LOD/scenery than some new games) it is still fun on the tracks and is the only racing game where you can sit as the passenger seat on replays relaxing after the race for the ride! This is the best bit looking around and being thrown around the track. Close up detail is best when you stop and the car is pretty detailed inside too. PS4 Pro is much better than vanilla on this one.

Last edited:
Ive spent some more time with GTS VR time trials and i have to say, this is mighty impressive stuff and incredible fun. I did 4 laps Nordschleife with an R8 LMS, a couple of laps with an 919 Hybrid on the Nürburgring GP track and some hot laps around Tsukuba in a 911 GT3 RS. I assure you, this is a game changer. You are “actually“ there, sitting in the car, on location. You will spot so many interesting details in the cars interior and on track... its great for sightseeing , really, but even better for racing. Every new car added to the game is an interesting experience now because there is so much to see and to experience. I got this just for GTS and im really happy i did!

@RaceFuchs Yes it is a game changer that you do have to try PSVR to experience it, as it is so hard to tell from videos or just reading about it, I did try to explain to a few people when I first got it that you are actually sitting in the game world that you have only ever seen on TV!. Things like you can stop the car and turn round and see the back seats and the track jumps, cambers and turns become real and the cars next to you feel massive.

If you got the code for Playstation VR Worlds you have to try the Ocean decent as I enjoyed that the most. Maybe also give London Heist a try as the add-on shooting range is awesome hitting the tires or paint cans or ducks very addictive. I don't use mine all the time because I find I get a few VR headaches/eye strain after using it rather than the motion sickness but when I do go back to it I forget how good it is. :cheers:

OK so my thoughts so far on the four racing titles that get some degree of serious support on PSVR.

GTS
Looks great in comparison to Driveclub and Dirt Rally, however it is limited in what you can do, particularity in regards to anything other than hot-lapping. While it certainly has added something back to GTS, for me its eyecandy that needs racing.

Driveclub
It has racing!!!! The looks certainly take a hit, particularly when you have a full grid in front of you, and the weather is gone. However its a more complete package than GTS in this regard, as it actually has a career in VR. I've also found that you can look around a lot more in DC than GTS, take the Xbow in GTS and try to look over the sill outside the car and once you get past a certain point it cuts to black, DC however you can lean your head right out over the sill and watch the front wheel of the Caterham as you hammer down a mountain in Japan.

Dirt Rally
Easily the most complete of the 'reality' based racing titles, as its the full title, all stages, all cars, weather included. As such it gets a big thumbs up in that regard, looking around the cabin is great until you look behind you (the rear of the car isn't modelled), and the main thing for me is that despite the visuals again taking a hit it actually makes a lot of stages easier to drive. I've been cutting upwards of ten seconds off my previous best times on a number of stages, with handbrake turns in particular being far easier to time in VR.

Wipeout

OK, so this one certainly isn't based in the same reality that the other three are, however for me this is the current VR racing gold standard. Not only does it include every single part of the core game, but it manages to do so while being the best looking VR title I've come across so far. It looks stunning, its smooth and detailed and demonstrates exactly what can be done within VR (I'm honestly amazed that they dropped this as a freebie).

Yes, it definitely is a game changer, and it’s still only first generation consumer tech. Quite frankly the PSVR has no right to perform as well as it does given what it costs - especially given the recent price drop, and when you consider what it’s hooked up to.

I try to limit my usage of the PSVR, not because I suffer from any ill effects from it, but because I don’t want it to become the norm. I still want my jaw to drop everytime I don the headset, and if I used it all the time I’d no longer have that WOW factor.

Anyway, yesterday, after a few beers in the local pub (yes, we have a number of British and Irish style pubs here in Zürich), I bought myself one of those PSVR aim controllers, and have just now had a very fun hour in Farpoint - I’m amazed at the way the in game guns twist and move exactly as you move the controller, and sighting down the holographic sights on the standard issue assult rifle is just awesome.

@Scaff, Your impressions are pretty much exactly the same as mine, although I can’t comment on DriveClub as I’ve not yet tried it.

With regards to WipEout VR being released for free for those that own the Omega Collection, well I think that Sony had to. They needed a killer VR game to get people into VR, and WipEout has historically been that killer game. I attribute much of the success of the PS1 to the original WipEout, alongside Ridge Racer. Without those games available as release titles I don’t think the PS1 would have been quite the success it was.

Well my PSVR turned up today and just spent 30 mins playing GTS. Very easy to setup and use compared to my Vive.

And I am very pleasantly surprised by how good it is in game. Obviously it's very limited in terms of what you can do but it's certainly comparable to the experience I have playing PC2 and AC with my Vive on PC. I was expecting the resolution to be a bit of a problem but it's really not. Head tracking is nowhere near as good as with the Vive, which is absolutely rock solid, but I felt zero motion sickness and could have spent countless hours in VR with no sickness problems. I'm going to have a mess about with Playroom VR and VR Worlds before jumping back into GTS.

I'm sure when my Vive Pro turns up on Friday it will knock it out of the park but for £250 this is an absolute steal of an experience. If you have been thinking about getting one then jump on the bandwagon whilst the price is low.

If you have PS+ then Trackmania Turbo came out today and has PSVR on it. I have yet to try it but the main game even on the TV has great graphics and is very addictive. I will update this when I have had a chance to play it in VR!

@PzR Slim Yes you have to try all the free demos/games out on the store too 👍

The price drop makes the VR rather interesting now. What games would you recommend? I would like to make a list of games worth playing for later when I get VR. :cheers:

Skyrim VR is amazing. Rather than looking "at" Skyrim, you are "in" it.

Best played with the Move Controllers.
This enables dual targeting of adversaries, and feels a whole lot more natural.
I discovered an advantage of Move by accident. Holding a shield in the left hand I was able to "catch" arrows from an adversary. They pierce the shield and it's possible to harvest these arrows with your right hand. Very cool.

I used to play on Legendary difficulty. Now I play on far lower difficulty levels and focus on exploration rather than quests and battles. It's a different game.

Avoid the "teleport" method of translation. It's less natural and more prone to causing nausea.

Youtube is not a "game" per se, however it exploits the PSVR for 360 degree content. Some of it is very cool.

I've caved in and bought a PSVR v2 from Argos. Quite a few games I own have the VR tag on them so I don't need anymore yet. Except Battlezone that is.

I'm still looking for someone to play through and win the campaign with in Battlezone for some trophies If you're interested. Need a total of 4 people. It's a great game.

Right. First evening with this.

First tried VR Worlds shark dive. Impressive. Great sense of scale and size. Especially the shark. I didn't get bothered by the shark. Even when it ripped the front off my cage. Nope not bothered at all. Honest.

Then Battlefront VR mission. Epic. I was flying a X wing! Big grin time.

Third up GTS. Graphically not up to much, except the tracks seem to reveal more detail. Being able to look to the apex was good and looking around the car was nice.

Forth was the Last Guardian VR demo. Bloody hell that things BIG.

I had a rest then before Wipeout Omega Collection. All I can say about that is that if you have VR you must get this. Like in GTS your ability to look around gives you more speed. It's situational awareness that does it. Stick to the HD section as an easy introduction.

I tried watching a 360 video on YouTube. BBC flight in a Tornado. It was good up until a point but then I could feel it getting to me.

Last edited:
someone was threatening to kill you!?
Oh yes, and my mum/family.

I commited the cardinal sin of saying that Gravel reminds me of Sega Rally. That was enough to prompt abuse comments and then some very detailed and vivid threats of rape, dismemberment and murder. Oddly enough I don't tend to respond well to that.

While I love some racing and gaming, I have to say that in comparison to tattoo and guitar forums and discussions the gaming/similar racing ones are some of the most toxic, sexist, racist and xenophobic ones around.

That's unfortunately not limited to YouTube either, I've been doxed here at GTP and right now have a few members under the impression in another thread that as they see me as anti-GTS that rather than counter an argument, personal attacks are a valid substitute. One even seems to have posted after seven months away to join in.

I commited the cardinal sin of saying that Gravel reminds me of Sega Rally. That was enough to prompt abuse comments and then some very detailed and vivid threats of rape, dismemberment and murder. Oddly enough I don't tend to respond well to that.

While I love some racing and gaming, I have to say that in comparison to tattoo and guitar forums and discussions the gaming/similar racing ones are some of the most toxic, sexist, racist and xenophobic ones around.

That's unfortunately not limited to YouTube either, I've been doxed here at GTP and right now have a few members under the impression in another thread that as they see me as anti-GTS that rather than counter an argument, personal attacks are a valid substitute. One even seems to have posted after seven months away to join in.
Seriously prison time is required for these kind of people. Anyway Sega Rally is my all time favourite arcade race game. Is gravel is the same ballpark?

Seriously prison time is required for these kind of people. Anyway Sega Rally is my all time favourite arcade race game. Is gravel is the same ballpark?
It takes the similar approach of real cars with arcade physics (but with a clear underlying base in reality) in fantasy locations, big slides, big jumps, etc.

It's not as polished as a Sega title from that era, but for me it has a similar vibe.

That apparently is a crime worthy of death.

Racing game on PSVR rundown (warning - rude words are said)

I honestly thought you were going to use the rude words on GTS and not the dickwad that threatened you, 'cause GTS in VR deserved them as well. I agree with every single thing you said there, but you were way to lenient on GTS with regards to it's VR mode. All IMO of course.

so they were either mad that you compared Sega Rally to something else or they take Gravel that seriously? Youtube is super toxic. The only places I come to anymore are here and r/PSVR. they're a lovely bunch of people.

Anyone else eagerly awaiting Dreams? They claim it will have VR support on launch, I can't imagine how this game can be anything but incredible. If you want an idea of what it's like to create your own levels in VR I suggest SculptrVR. Being able to relatively quickly sculpt basically anything and view it in VR is something else.

Last edited:
I'd completely forgotten about Dreams. Certainly didn't expect it to be compatible with VR, but this is great news.

I'd like to make some Gravity Rush related stuff in Dreams, but in the end, I'm not sure if I can really invest enough time and effort into it to make anything worthwhile.

Tried Skyrim VR today. Yuck. First game that has given me stability issues with my gut. I was left feeling quite unwell.

This from someone who can run laps for fun in Wipeout.

Yes. First thing I got rid of.
Thought I would mention it because my mate said it was making him sick then I recalled people in this thread mentioning the warp to thing so mentioned to him. That turned out to be the issue for him and he now plays it solid.

From my experience of VR any movement forward/Backwards/up/down makes me feel woozy. I think only with driving games I would try pushing through it.

Latest Posts

Back