**TAKE NOTICE** - Stop posting HUGE photos!

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 96 comments
Bumping because this is getting out of hand. We are getting 8mpx off-screen photos to show a spectator made of like 10 polygons.

I don't want to sound rude but please people, host pics on something like imgur and use thumbnails.

When you upload them there's an option to generate multiple links with linked thumbnails. Use that.

If that's too much to ask you literally have to add a single letter before the extension of the file, i.e.:
Original image: http://i.imgur.com/UcE9UPo.jpg
large thumbnail: http://i.imgur.com/UcE9UPol.jpg
medium thumbnail: http://i.imgur.com/UcE9UPom.jpg
small thumbnail: http://i.imgur.com/UcE9UPos.jpg

Then embed the link to the pic.

Thanks.

Number off photos that have a width greater than 800px on the Post Your Latest pic thread page 203 as of 7:55 PM CST: 76.

Seventy-six images that are in full 1920x1080. And let's say each image is about 1 MB. (I'm being generous, it might be even double that.) 76 times 1 = 76 MB. How long does 76 mb of images take to load? Depends on your internet. For me personally, it took about 5 full minutes to completely load the thread. And the page is not even completely filled with posts! (About 9-10 more posts till the next page.)

I simply do not understand why people post these humongous photos when GTPlanet limits the forum page width to a little more than 800px anyways. 800px for a photo is perfect! I do not think anyone actually clicks on the 1920x1080 photos to enlarge them anyways.

@leeislee's OP should be in every thread.

I simply do not understand why people post these humongous photos when GTPlanet limits the forum page width to a little more than 800px anyways. 800px for a photo is perfect! I do not think anyone actually clicks on the 1920x1080 photos to enlarge them anyways.
It's probably due to laziness for the most part. At least that it's that way for me, I found it quicker to just use the "upload a file" button to upload my pictures rather than use flickr. Though, I also assumed that GTPlanet pages compressed pictures to a smaller side and only loaded the full thing if a user clicked on it.

Now though, I guess when people try to load the pictures on the page, it does indeed load the full picture rather than a compressed version on the page. With that said, I apologize for doing it and I'll try to be less lazy and just use flickr to share pictures for now on.

Not only is the file size issue annoying, it seeing page after page of photos shared by SOME new members who aren't really active in the photomode forum community. They just take photos and share the hell out of them.

It's evident in members who start galleries in the main section instead of the Galleries thread, it shows they don't read the rules and have little consideration for those of us who like to keep this place running how it's meant to.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is welcome here but what used to be one of the best places to be to see amazing car photos is slowly turning into a jerky, bumpy, slow and just annoying place to be.

The site owners, mods or whoever can sort it out probably don't even know how bad it's getting.

One other thing, not only is Flickr easy to use, the compression is low, you'll get more views and fans of your work, you can use it as a platform to share your work on many types of sites AND if your shared small size photo captures someone's eye then they can click on it to view it big in all it's glory.

I'd rather not see 70 pictures of a bloody drifting skyline all on one page full size. I miss the old GT5 photomode forum...it was awesome.

Last edited:
Just to say this thread should be sticked.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see "versions" of the current threads ONLY for 800px max. images.

It's really annoying to scroll up and down for 1min to see "that" shot we really want to look at.

Hey Lee, can't Jordan just put a limit on the maximum size that a photo can be before the site will allow it to be uploaded. In other words, if the photo is too large, the site won't allow it to be uploaded. I feel your pain here and know exactly what you are talking about, but unless Jordan is able to put a limit on the max photo size that can be uploaded, I just think this is going to be an ongoing issue unfortunately. Unless he goes and makes it part of the AUP and starts disciplining people for uploading large images.

Hey Lee, can't Jordan just put a limit on the maximum size that a photo can be before the site will allow it to be uploaded. In other words, if the photo is too large, the site won't allow it to be uploaded.

I can see one bypass to this though: someone uploading an image from a website and not their computer.

Hey Lee, can't Jordan just put a limit on the maximum size that a photo can be before the site will allow it to be uploaded. In other words, if the photo is too large, the site won't allow it to be uploaded. I feel your pain here and know exactly what you are talking about, but unless Jordan is able to put a limit on the max photo size that can be uploaded, I just think this is going to be an ongoing issue unfortunately. Unless he goes and makes it part of the AUP and starts disciplining people for uploading large images.
I'm not sure what he can do, i mentioned the problems we're having here and i asked him if he can see what he can do. If there is no file size limit on the forum then lets hope he can change it. Already, within the last hour people are still sharing full size pictures.

So even if this thread is stickied i doubt it'll make any difference. I'll let you all know what Jordan says.

I can see one bypass to this though: someone uploading an image from a website and not their computer.

Yea, you're right. 👍 Guess I didn't really think my suggestion through before putting it out there. :dunce: Here is another dumb suggestion then :lol: :scared:, why can't he then only limit uploads from one's PC.

I guess it just comes down to how big of an issue Jordan sees it and how much work he is willing to put forth to try and correct the problem. You know, kinda like how much effort is the problem worth type of thing. I don't post much here, but I do love to browse everyone else's brilliant work so I do know it is a problem.

Last edited:
I messaged Jordan yesterday but have yet to get a response. so if anyone else wants to message anyone they can think of regarding this then feel free. :)

The thing is, the mods/admins probably get a bunch of similar conversations from pretentious people who think their threads deserve to be stickied, because it is in some way important. So they have probably become accustomed to just ignoring them. The backfire from this is they might accidentally ignore something worthwhile, and in my humble opinion, and obviously quite a few others opinion, this is worthwhile. :indiff:

Well i worded the message in such a way and fully explained the situation so if it has been read then there is no real reason to ignore it.

we're just trying to keep a large part of their site running smoothly

I can say I was thinking about getting a premium subscription but I didn't do it also because of this issue.

This is the section of the forum I like the most and we need some changes. It's very nice to have more people participating of course, but we need some "automatic rules/limitations" because a lot of people simply don't care.

I decided to "pollute" flickr with all my images... Created an account as soon as I finished browsing this thread weeks ago, it was a pretty painless exercise and it woke me up to the fact that a lot of users aren't even aware that there is an issue.

Since reading the 1st post in this thread, I have changed my evil ways;). (I keep the posted pics to competition size)...

As I stated before, it's too 🤬 easy to upload big images, without even thinking. (suppose that's the key:sly:) No guidelines anywhere for size limits (except in the competitions) so you don't think about it too much... if at all.

I agree that a lot a users NEED to read this thread before posting pics.

Maybe a photomode competition for newbies wouldn't be a bad idea? (based on join date or... invite known "offenders") As an introduction to correct posting...That way they have to conform to the rules for the pic be accepted, after that it might become habit for some?

Just putting it out there.

@Jordan needs to read this thread before any suggestions can be considered really. If not i'll probably stop coming here if it continues.

If he doesn't read his messages then he may well be unaware of the problems, but we can only mention it, up to others to fix it

You guys need to stop rushing Jordan to look at this thread. This is not his first priority. I'm sure he gets an overload of requests, messages, newfound bugs, and pointless tagging every day. It's very easy for this thread to be overlooked by him, and it's not on purpose. He can't keep track of everything.

You guys need to stop rushing Jordan to look at this thread. This is not his first priority. I'm sure he gets an overload of requests, messages, newfound bugs, and pointless tagging every day. It's very easy for this thread to be overlooked by him, and it's not on purpose. He can't keep track of everything.
Who's rushing anyone? I said he needs to view it before he can respond to what the issue is.

I didn't say anything about him ignoring the message or thread. I said he hasn't responded to it. no one mention a period of time.

If you've nothing to add to the actual topic then leave us to it without reading things that aren't there.

Who's rushing anyone? I said he needs to view it before he can respond to what the issue is.

I didn't say anything about him ignoring the message or thread. I said he hasn't responded to it. no one mention a period of time.

If you've nothing to add to the actual topic then leave us to it without reading things that aren't there.
But is repeatedly saying Jordan hasn't responded to your message adding to the actual topic?

Nobody is rushing anyone so relax. They just want to make sure the staff and/or Jordan is aware of the problem, that's all. Maybe if Jordan, or Famine even, stopped by and gave word one way or the other, then that would settle things down a bit here in this thread.....you know, that thing called communication. :P Notice if you will, I didn't feel the need to tag anyone. ;) Staff has only been tagged once from what I can see from the last few pages so again, nobody is rushing/bugging anyone. :)

The decision to allow users to upload any size images was one made to promote ease-of-use. Considering nearly half of the visits to GTP are on mobile browsers these days, an easy-to-use system that encourages users to stay on the site made sense, and still does for large chunks of the site, where this is less of an issue.

You won't hear me disagree about it being a problem within the Photomode section, though; this is a specialized area. I was relatively slow on the uptake for Flickr, but I'd gladly sing its praises to those not in the know these days, as it's a high-quality, free alternative - and provides another avenue for community exposure, really. I also can't stand seeing images dumped straight from the PS3 to a thread - they muck up the page layout and the click-to-full-size feature does the same thing. But the cream rises to the top: the folks that produce thoughtful, user-friendly photo experiences tend to get greater results, and those people too lazy to consider others' experience, less so. It's the same mindset that steers the competitions: sure, people are fully allowed to post tiny thumbnails as their final entry, or not have their 500px image linked to a full-size image... but if they can't be bothered to produce an entry that will give them their best chance, I'm sure not going to do the work for them. Any non-clickable images are put in the poll that exact same way.

It's an unfortunate truth that as access speeds have picked up over the past few years, the majority of people have cared less and less about file sizes. I'll flat out avoid the non-gallery threads when I'm not on a desktop computer because of that, and yes, a page with well over 100mb of files is not good for anybody's connection, regardless of the formatting havoc it wreaks. But as people who care about things like pixel counts, page loads, and formatting, we're in the minority. We need to educate.

But the tone has to be positive, and it needs to be a community-wide approach: when a member hops into a comp thread with an improperly-formatted post, often times before either Nato or I can get to it, another member has steered them towards proper posting etiquette, in a way that is far nicer than the typical "read the FAQ noob" response that can rear its head in other areas of the web. The OP certainly doesn't come off as particularly friendly.

Back