Tesla Model S- P100D confirmed

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 356 comments
Did you read the article? If you understand economies of scale and can read the graph, you'll understand why it's electric cars causing this new development in battery technology. From 1939 to 1945, the world saw the greatest change in weapon technology it had ever seen, topped off with the atomic bomb. That weapons technology was not spawned because people wanted to go hunting. It was because governments around the world poured money into weapons research.

Your mistake is to assume that no one desperatly pumped R&D ressources into battery technology in the last 40 years until Elon Musk decided to write a blog about it. Its not like lap tops/mobile phones/air planes are in need of lighter and more efficient energy storage technologies too, right? Oh wait, my fault. Economics of sale. Iphones sell like **** compared to EVs.

Both electric motors and battery technologies are already well researched, what's new now is their application for EV/HEVs.

The only thing that's changed it Li-ion packs (thanks, cell phones) and the price of gas. Put two and two together and you have electric cars.

Your mistake is to assume that no one desperatly pumped R&D ressources into battery technology in the last 40 years until Elon Musk decided to write a blog about it. Its not like lap tops/mobile phones/air planes are in need of lighter and more efficient energy storage technologies too, right? Oh wait, my fault. Economics of sale. Iphones sell like **** compared to EVs.

Both electric motors and battery technologies are already well researched, what's new now is their application for EV/HEVs.
Laptops, phones, and airplanes don't use batteries on anything like the scale that electric cars do.

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-could-use-up-all-the-worlds-laptop-batteries-1247047341

You're vastly underestimating the scale on which electric cars use batteries. The battery pack in a Tesla is several thousand times bigger than the battery in a mobile phone. If you had read the article and looked at the graph, you'd understand how this effects global battery demand. I'm not going to sit here explaining simple economics of supply and demand, it's not a hard concept to grasp.

Iphones sell like **** compared to EVs.

In Norway that's soon to become true ;)

Registrations_EVs_Norway_2004_2013.png

And the figures for 2014 are insanse. In March the Tesla Model S even broke a record from 1986 when it became the best selling car ever in a single month in Norway.

In Norway that's soon to become true ;)

Registrations_EVs_Norway_2004_2013.png

And the figures for 2014 are insanse. In March the Tesla Model S even broke a record from 1986 when it became the best selling car ever in a single month in Norway.

The Tesla's numbers are mostly a blip.

http://dailykanban.com/2014/12/toothless-tesla-norways-record-breaking-car-breaking-record-numbers/
Norway.jpg

The Leaf is a better seller, and more consistent over the year.

Then again, it's worth noting Norway has a ton of money from fossil fuels, which means lots of tax benefits and disposable income for its relatively tiny population... which means Teslas aren't quite as expensive to Norwegians as they are to everyone else.

The Tesla's numbers are mostly a blip.

http://dailykanban.com/2014/12/toothless-tesla-norways-record-breaking-car-breaking-record-numbers/
Norway.jpg

The Leaf is a better seller, and more consistent over the year.

Then again, it's worth noting Norway has a ton of money from fossil fuels, which means lots of tax benefits and disposable income for its relatively tiny population... which means Teslas aren't quite as expensive to Norwegians as they are to everyone else.

Most records are blips.

And regardless, out of the top 20 models sold between January and October this year, 25% were electric.

ytdnos2.jpg

Here's the top 20 models sold in Norway between January and October. Note the price tags (base model, minimum price). When models have an electric version as well I've split them, so that's why there are 24 items in the top 20 list.

ytdnos1.jpg

* Toyota Auris and Yaris are available as Hybrids. I haven't found any data on how many of the sold cars were hybrids, but a rough estimation based on figures from Toyota in 2013 is 50 - 70%.

Toothless record? I don't agree. Where are the premium sedans in that list? The Skoda Octavia is hardly premium and the Passats sold in Norway are almost all wagons (I bet most Octavias are as well). Where is BMW? Mercedes-Benz? Audi? Nowhere to be found. If Norwegians have a lot of money, why is the Model S the only premium sedan on the list?

Source: OFV and http://evobsession.com/nissan-leaf-still-tops-norway-october-registrations-report/

If Norwegians have a lot of money, why is the Model S the only premium sedan on the list?

Because it's the only premium electric sedan on the market.

And because Norway has a huge subsidy on EVs... which is pretty obvious, already, from the list you've provided with prices, which show the huge taxes paid on gasoline cars compared to their EV/hybrid counterparts. Unless Norway gets a gold-plated variant of the SX4 that's significantly less horrible than it is elsewhere... :lol:

Add to that free parking, free use of bus lanes and other perks, and it becomes pretty clear there's big spending on perks for EV buyers and owners... which translates to big sales.

-

More to the point, the Tesla is in the top ten because in one month, it sold 1.4k cars. A feat it has not repeated since. Which means that it has probably found market saturation and will likely not repeat that performance again.

It's a statistical anomaly, without which, it should be at about 2,200-2,500 YTD in those figures... with the 1.4k either being purchases that were either pushed forward or back by incentives or availability issues.

Still, yes, either way, 2k+ in a market that small is still pretty good. But it's nowhere near as spectacular a headline as "Tesla best selling car in Norway!"

Last edited:
Because it's the only premium electric sedan on the market.

And because Norway has a huge subsidy on EVs... which is pretty obvious, already, from the list you've provided with prices, which show the huge taxes paid on gasoline cars compared to their EV/hybrid counterparts. Unless Norway gets a gold-plated variant of the SX4 that's significantly less horrible than it is elsewhere... :lol:

Add to that free parking, free use of bus lanes and other perks, and it becomes pretty clear there's big spending on perks for EV buyers and owners... which translates to big sales.

That's an explanation to the success of the Model S.

More to the point, the Tesla is in the top ten because in one month, it sold 1.4k cars. A feat it has not repeated since. Which means that it has probably found market saturation and will likely not repeat that performance again.

No, it's in the top ten because over the whole year it sold 3 500 cars. It got the record because it sold those 1.4k cars in a single month.

It's a statistical anomaly, without which, it should be at about 2,200-2,500 YTD in those figures... with the 1.4k either being purchases that were either pushed forward or back by incentives or availability issues.

You can't ignore data just because they don't support your point. It doesn't matter if all those cars were sold in a single month, they're still sold. It's like saying that "an F1 driver didn't actually finish in 5th place, because it was just in one lap that he drove exceptionally good and passed a lot of drivers, and if we don't count that lap he would have actually finished in 10th." All laps count, all year counts. And if all those customers hadn't had their car delivered in that exact month they would have got it the next month, or the next, or the next. It wouldn't have ended at 2 200 - 2 500 cars, it would have ended up somewhere around 3 500.

Still, yes, either way, 2k+ in a market that small is still pretty good. But it's nowhere near as spectacular a headline as "Tesla best selling car in Norway!"

"...in a single month." It's not best selling car, period. And the total is 3.5k+, not 2k+. We're still counting March as a month of 2014.

@eran0004 : It's not ignoring it... it's simply placing it as it is... a short, sharp spike that wouldn't mean much elsewhere but in such a small market.

In the end, Norway is a model for how EV subsidies can push the market forward... but only through high taxation of the alternatives, zero EV import tax, VAT and road tax, and large government investment . The big question is whether the momentum can carry forward into the next year. The even bigger question is whether it will work for the rest of the world. Especially considering current low oil prices... which are encouraging people to get back into big trucks and SUVs.

It's frustrating that similar tax measures for EVs have stalled here. A Model S here costs over $250,000 on the back of "luxury" taxes. Given proper incentives, it could go for around the same price as a mid-range 5-series, or lower (yes, they get hit with similar taxes).

But even then, charging infrastructure is scarce, and seasonal flooding is a big disincentive for buyers, who would rather buy prehistoric diesel trucks, just to be on the safe side. And thanks to incentives for diesel here, as well as social pressures against high diesel prices, we've got effectively no control over diesel emissions, with most cars here not featuring particulate filters or emissions controls of any sort.

@eran0004 : It's not ignoring it... it's simply placing it as it is... a short, sharp spike that wouldn't mean much elsewhere but in such a small market.

In the end, Norway is a model for how EV subsidies can push the market forward... but only through high taxation of the alternatives, zero EV import tax, VAT and road tax, and large government investment . The big question is whether the momentum can carry forward into the next year. The even bigger question is whether it will work for the rest of the world. Especially considering current low oil prices... which are encouraging people to get back into big trucks and SUVs.

It's frustrating that similar tax measures for EVs have stalled here. A Model S here costs over $250,000 on the back of "luxury" taxes. Given proper incentives, it could go for around the same price as a mid-range 5-series, or lower (yes, they get hit with similar taxes).

But even then, charging infrastructure is scarce, and seasonal flooding is a big disincentive for buyers, who would rather buy prehistoric diesel trucks, just to be on the safe side. And thanks to incentives for diesel here, as well as social pressures against high diesel prices, we've got effectively no control over diesel emissions, with most cars here not featuring particulate filters or emissions controls of any sort.

I agree that it doesn't mean much in a global perspective, but as a local phenomenon it's pretty amazing.

I agree that it doesn't mean much in a global perspective, but as a local phenomenon it's pretty amazing.

True enough. 👍 Even moreso considering it's something that various partial measures have been building up to, rather than a single big event or law change.

Drag racing on 84? So dumb. Surprised Davie police didn't pull them over. They are literally racing from the Davie Police station towards a Florida Highway Patrol station, and DP traffic guys love busting people on 84. They are such assholes. Those are my stomping grounds, and I [probably] know that red Tesla. He's always parked outside a bank in downtown Ft. Lauderdale.

Holy crap look how cheap norway gets the BMW I3 it's cheaper then a VW Golf.

Zero import tax. Zero sales tax. Zero registration tax.

Plus add a hefty percentage of all of the above for the Golf compared to most other markets.

Zero import tax. Zero sales tax. Zero registration tax.

Plus add a hefty percentage of all of the above for the Golf compared to most other markets.
Pretty insane that it is barely on the list then, unless of course they are all sold out.

I'd like to point out that I'm a non-native.

Even native English speakers have the problem. Nothing to be ashamed about.

I actually have to comb my articles to make sure I refer to the electric drives as motors and the gasoline motors as engines. :D

Latest Posts

Back