The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
I got it for free too. I just fired it up to compare with the old Skyrim, since although this might as well be my favorite game of all times, I just... can't play it anymore... The game is very dated and I've seen everything there is to see at least three times. About 1000 hours on PS3, 150 on Xbox and over 300 on PC.

Anyway...

Comparing both on Ultra, I really can't justify this new version. My old Skyrim (modded) actually has equal textures (even better for character models), superior lighting and overall effects (again, thanks to mods). The new one only has the God Rays as an advantage and a much more saturated color palette which isn't really an advantage. Besides, I'm sure there is a God Ray mod which I will be trying. Occlusion (ambient and rain), view distance, focus blur, motion blur and all the extra goodies they've added are all available through mods for the old Skyrim.

However, this is certainly a great opportunity for those who've never had the privilege of experiencing Skyrim, and for those who were only able to play it for Xbox and PS3.

On ps3 I encountered Alduin but my Skyrim disc broke so I never got to finish it. Also performance on ps3 was..well..👎. Happy I have it on PS4.

I levelled block and heavy armour up to 100 last evening using the block/heal/run away method with a giant. Got it a bit wrong the first time and got hit into what might have been low planetary orbit. Only got restoration up to 41 or so though.

I tried that after I'd got bored leveling smithing/enchanting/alchemy to high enough levels to give me some reasonable armour. They are still in the low 40 range though so another hunting trip to fill up my stocks for enchanting is in order.

I loved Fallout 4 so I decided to try this out on PS4. It's been fantastic so far but I wish Bethesda had toned down the spiders, I've jumped a few times already. :D

I think reviewers have been quite harsh on the graphics, it's based on a 5 year old game for a start and the environments look stunning at times especially with anti-aliasing removing all the jaggies that you'd normally see in an open-world console game.

Last edited:
Haven't encountered to many spiders. Just have done the goldenclaw level so I am still very early. Even haven't leveled my character as of yet (still on 1). Seen how old this game is Bethesda has done a pretty good job. The experience on PS4 is smooth and environments can look stunning. I didn't expect a complete overhaul of characters but it would have been nice if they had smoothened then out a bit as well. I chose the PS4 version because mods don't interest me that much.

This game touches so many right buttons, the music, the gameplay, the world. It is one of those games that completely absorb the player once you are in. I can understand that players like @HuskyGT can't be bothered to put in a lot of time since they already have played the original game to death but for a person like me who simply wants to do the main quest and then wander around there is still plenty to discover.

Not sure why Skyrim has that effect on me while others fail to do the same (Witcher, Fallout etc).

I loved Fallout 4 so I decided to try this out on PS4. It's been fantastic so far but I wish Bethesda had toned down the spiders, I've jumped a few times already. :D

I think reviewers have been quite harsh on the graphics, it's based on a 5 year old game for a start and the environments look stunning at times especially with anti-aliasing removing all the jaggies that you'd normally see in an open-world console game.

Reviews are sort of reasonable given the age of the tech - although I don't think it's too much better in Fallout 4 - I could be wrong, I didn't play that game for long.

Skyrim, to me, is the best western style rpg ever made. It just never gets old to me. Any time you can start a new game and role play differently.

I don't know what system you've got it on but there are replace the spiders with various other things type mods out.

Last edited:
I don't know what system you've got it on but there are replace the spiders with various other things type mods out.
I'm on PS4 so I'll just have to grow up I guess. Having said that perhaps they can be replaced with existing creatures in the game, I haven't had a good look at the mods yet.

I went to Solstein for the Dragonborn quest but I returned to the mainland because my 2-handed warrior is not strong enough to defeat those lurkers.

What I noticed on this island is that it is much less impressive than the mainland. It seems like Solstein didn't get the same overhaul than the rest of the game. Anyone else feels the same?

I went to Solstein for the Dragonborn quest but I returned to the mainland because my 2-handed warrior is not strong enough to defeat those lurkers.

What I noticed on this island is that it is much less impressive than the mainland. It seems like Solstein didn't get the same overhaul than the rest of the game. Anyone else feels the same?
I felt the same, the guards there stood out to me as particularly ugly, their low-res baby **** yellow armour doesn't look anything like whatever material it is supposed to be.

I managed to kill one of those lurkers by circling a small wooden structure and firing arrows through it but I didn't go any further because it took about 10 minutes to wear it down.

I have come to the final act, just met de big "boss" after I found the
Eldersscroll
but first I want to loose the vampirism. Hate that I am infected and because of that I can't continue Dawnguard. Found out what to do to get cured (thanks Youtube) but it is obvious I don't play RPG enough to get it done quick and smoothly :lol:. Can someone tell me if I finish Dawnguard, are the vampires gone for good?

Edit: I am cured! Thank god for looking blonde and beautiful again :lol:

Edit2: finished the main story. It was a real pleasure to follow and I'll finish dawnguard and dragonborn next :D

Last edited:
Dragonborn is definitely not the best tested part of the game, I encountered more bugs and glitches there than in all of the rest of Skyrim combined. Long live the console (reset quest stage, no clipping and/or give word) or many hours of gameplay would have been lost. So thou hast been warned: save often and in different slots.

Just got this on saturday and am really enjoying it so far. Originally had it on X360 but it feels so much better to be playing it on PS4. Instead of going through the normal story I got the Alt Start mod which lets you choose what type of person you are based on location. I chose Riften (correctly) assuming I'd become a thief. Immediately joined up with the thiefs guild and the adventures just started from there. Before going to Goldenglow I went to the Bee'N'Barb, got in a drinking game with a guy named Sam and ended up in Markarth. There I discovered a deep conspiracy that landed my in jail (twice!).

Once I escaped I finished the quest for Sam, those Mages at the castle were extremely tough to kill, and got on with Goldenglow which didn't exactly go as planned. I then did some more work for Maven Black-Briar before trying to clear out a cave of Vampires, which then led to me getting the disease for it. Several in-game days later I went to Dawnguard before I turned completely which led to me meeting a female vampire who was locked in a coffin in a cave. I brought her to her home when I met her father, who was some sort of leader to all the other vampires. He then made me a Vampire Lord. He then tasked me to go to Redwater to get some blood. I then ended up being drugged by Redwater Skooma. I managed to escape and am now inside Redwater. Can't wait to continue on with this.

If you're on PS4 this is a list of mods I definitely recommend installing:
Whiterun Manor Home - Adds a free manor just outside of Whiterun you can use
Unlimited Sprint - Pretty Self Explanatory
Alt Start Lite (BETA) - Adds a few options for choosing a new life for your character
Better Combat AI - Makes the AI more realistic during combat
Better City Entrances - Just makes the entrances to cities more impressive
More Kill Moves - Adds a huge number of new kill animations
Surreal Lighting - Self Explanatory
Hold Border Banners - Adds banners on the borders of every hold
Immersive Citizens - Improves AI outside of combat to make them more realistic
Instant Mastery - Good for new characters, adds up to 20 points in all of the games skills
Better Loot - Self Explanatory
Immersive Leveling - Speeds up leveling slightly
Realistic Conversations - Self Explanatory
Supreme Storms - Makes storms much more realistic by severely reducing visibility. Makes snow storms look amazing.
Rich Merchants - Gives most merchants in Skyrim 10,000 Gold
Lore-Based Loading Screens - Adds some information on the games lore to the loading screens
Point The Way - Adds road signs to most intersections to make it easier to find major locations

Not necessary but Free Crafting is good for crafting items without needing the required resources

Can't wait! I've been waiting for this game to be on sale!

Well, I bought it.... My god, I forgot how awesome this game was. I'm hooked again. And it look a whole lot better compared to the ps3 version. It's beautiful!

Last edited:
I'm sure it looks better, but does it seem to differ much in terms of gameplay and content? Skyrim was among the numerous games included when I got this PS3 but my involvement didn't last as it's just a lottle too...involved...for me. Now I see there are guides available for the remastered edition and I wonder if they'd still be applicable to last generation.

I'm sure it looks better, but does it seem to differ much in terms of gameplay and content? Skyrim was among the numerous games included when I got this PS3 but my involvement didn't last as it's just a lottle too...involved...for me. Now I see there are guides available for the remastered edition and I wonder if they'd still be applicable to last generation.
AFAIK the gameplay and content are identical, just that SE has all the DLC and mods

Something's been bugging me. There's an image of a shield (at least what I assume is a shield) that appears from time to time during loading screens, and I have no clue what it is. My best description is that it's concave, rather than convex like most shields, has four quadrants in the shape of an X, and it has a curved protrusion just below the center of the dish with three smaller discs along its length. Anyone by chance know what this is?

The Jagged Crown was bugging me when it appeared this way as well, as it looked nothing like the Dragonbone or Dragonscale helmets, but I found out what it was shortly after joining the rebellion--bummed I couldn't hold onto it.

Something's been bugging me. There's an image of a shield (at least what I assume is a shield) that appears from time to time during loading screens, and I have no clue what it is. My best description is that it's concave, rather than convex like most shields, has four quadrants in the shape of an X, and it has a curved protrusion just below the center of the dish with three smaller discs along its length. Anyone by chance know what this is?

The Jagged Crown was bugging me when it appeared this way as well, as it looked nothing like the Dragonbone or Dragonscale helmets, but I found out what it was shortly after joining the rebellion--bummed I couldn't hold onto it.

Well you can always check this link
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Loading_Screens

Greatly appreciated, alas it was not depicted. However, it occurred to me last night that it might be a Daedric artifact, as those tend to not be based on existing items, and I was able to find out it was a shield by the name of Spellbreaker:

Spellbreaker2.jpg

Back