The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
91730_6_2.jpg

Holy thread necro Batman! :D

So, with the Special Edition releasing on Friday, who's getting this for PS4 or XBOne? PC players who own the original and the three DLCs will get it for free. I for one am really looking forward to going into Skyrim again, never played the last two DLCs and there's plenty in the original game left for me to explore. :)

This might prove to be quite handy, I've thrown a lot of mods into this over the past couple of years, with a few of those being skin textures... a case of things being over-written or just layered over each other multiple times, I'm surprised it still works whenever I get the urge to play it. Now I have the excuse to clear it all out and start from scratch. :)

Going to wait to see how stable it is for PS4, I've seen some gameplay on YouTube but Digital Foundry will probably have something up in the next couple of days.

I'm waiting until it drops in price and I see some positive useful mods show up. That and some stability patches.

I first had the game on a...erm..."trial" basis, then put it on ice for a while but then picked up the Legendary Edition with all the DLC for about £10.00, which lets me upgrade to the Special Edition tomorrow for free. Kind looking forward to starting over too, as got to a point where I found all the factions and politics a little overwhelming in a way, in as much as it got in the way of the action and my enjoyment of the game a little too often. Going for a more simple existence this time around :)

I really wish they would have made the special edition look better, I honestly can't tell the difference.

So now that Skyrim Special Edition is out, I've decided to do another playthrough. Think I'm gonna keep modding to a minimum, except use some essentials like SkyUI. It's been years since I've last played Skyrim, but I think it'll come back to me. Went with a spellsword spec.

I really wish they would have made the special edition look better, I honestly can't tell the difference.
Did you try running them one after the other? The differences are pretty big, even on low detail. On Ultra the difference is even more apparent. The only thing that feels a bit out of place to me is the woody character models. :lol:

So now that Skyrim Special Edition is out, I've decided to do another playthrough. Think I'm gonna keep modding to a minimum, except use some essentials like SkyUI.
Is SkyUI already out for the SE? Requires SKSE if I recall correctly?

Did you try running them one after the other? The differences are pretty big, even on low detail. On Ultra the difference is even more apparent. The only thing that feels a bit out of place to me is the woody character models. :lol:

I did, the only thing different I saw was the lighting was a little better and the water reflected slight better. Both were on Ultra settings too. I think they need to release a hi-res texture pack again for the Special Edition and it'll be good.

This still won't work for me on steam, the MS C++ redistributable thing won't install.

I uninstalled all versions I had of it and then tried to reinstall. It just gets stuck here.
IMG_9153.JPG

@Clark Visual Studio 2015 has a dependency on a Windows Update. If you're on Windows 7 you'll need this update installed on your machine:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2999226

You should be able to check if you have it installed by searching your installed updates:

- Press Windows key and R at the same time on your keyboard
- Type "wuapp" (without the quotes) in the box and press enter
- Select View update history
- You should see the option "installed updates", select this
- In the top right of the installed updates list you'll see a search box starting "Search installed updates"
- Copy and paste this: "KB2999226" (without quotes) in to the search box

Both the downloadable windows update exe anyd the windows update on the control panel never find any updates. They just say checking for updates forever.

Installing 24 updates now but they're not actually downloading, just stuck a 0%.

Last edited:
Is it me or is the Steam overlay not working? And Alt-tabbing is still a pain.

Is SkyUI already out for the SE? Requires SKSE if I recall correctly?

Yeah, SkyUI isn't on Skyrim SE just yet. Not sure if I want to keep playing, since SkyUI makes inventory management much more... manageable.

Is it me or is the Steam overlay not working? And Alt-tabbing is still a pain.
I can ALT+TAB but it just brings up the bottom bar unless I specifically select like my Firefox window. So yeah still a pain for me as well.

Loaded the disc, installed and pushed the button. The way the song starts just makes be shiver. Got me all excited. Went through the intro and I have just got out of the tunnel. The sound, the world, it is fantastic. Yes the characters look outdated but boy am I happy to be back :bowdown:. Looking forward to get going with the main quest. Breton, Sword and Shield, simply old school.

edit... let me rephrase that: Breton, Sword (dual handed) :D

Last edited:
Dark Elf, only leveling up Magicka

Stealth = 100 by slashing praying graybeards with a dagger

Limited mods, only cheat is to give merchants lots of septims

Loving the outdoors with sun low in the sky, the shadows, clouds, forge smoke

It's so good to be back

Back