The Future of Toyota Body-on-frame vehicles.

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 183 comments
Welp.

frn-my24-0013-v001-hero-651c7f44d6126.jpg

Meh, I like my army green pro more.

They should get rid of the beige roof liner/plastic and make it black like the rest of the interior, that’s a little pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:
What will come first? A sixth-gen 4Runner or the heat death or the universe.

I mean I get it though, why mess with it when sales are so good? I'm sure Toyota has thought about what they'll need to do for the sixth gen too and I could see them being slightly concerned about the long-term profitability of it.

The manual would be the one I would buy, but having reverse so close to 1st gear seems a bit sketchy. In my old VW GTI with a 6 speed manual you had to push down on the stick and go to the bottom right, same with a WRX STI that I tried iirc. That's something I would prefer.

Last edited:
My A2 Jettas(5-speeds) were push down to the left and forward. Never had a problem engaging first. There's a reverse lockout.

Biggest problem I experienced, were the VEII Commodores(well the ones i moved and drove, my time at a dealership). There was no lock out for reverse.

I see so many new Land Cruiser 70s, it's crazy. At first, I thought owners were upgrading headlights of older models. Drove by my local Toyota dealer and the whole front entrance has them in all colours. As a reference, my local Mazda dealer(included in a larger multi-brand group) displays nothing but BT-50s at the front.

I see so many new Land Cruiser 70s, it's crazy. At first, I thought owners were upgrading headlights of older models. Drove by my local Toyota dealer and the whole front entrance has them in all colours. As a reference, my local Mazda dealer(included in a larger multi-brand group) displays nothing but BT-50s at the front.

It would be so cool if we got these in the states because I want one.

Toyota should test all three body styles in the USA market, with this update. It'll convert to about $50,000 USD(with window winders though).

We use 70 series land cruisers at the mine I work at. They're diesel with a stick shift and kept in 4wd, so they are pain to get in tight areas sometimes. I love driving those things though.

Last edited:
IT ROLLS DOWN!!!! But that centre screen is certainly...a choice.

1712242942261.png

Last edited:
What I remember from my my Dad’s three Chevy wagons and one of my Cousin’s Buick wagons is that the tailgate folded flat. Any reason why that’s not an option today? Does the back always have to be a hatch?
I mean, this is great for a van. Maximum opening:
1712250509864.jpeg

A new SUV can have the folding tailgate with the maximum opening:
1712250628414.jpeg

Maybe has to do with safety? Or could is it harder for people to load and unload with a folding tailgate?

What I remember from my my Dad’s three Chevy wagons and one of my Cousin’s Buick wagons is that the tailgate folded flat. Any reason why that’s not an option today? Does the back always have to be a hatch?
View attachment 1343463

View attachment 1343464

Maybe has to do with safety? Or could is it harder for people to load and unload with a folding tailgate?
I'm not positive but I'd say a big reason is that you can't get proper weather sealing with a tailgate and window inside the tailgate which rolls up. Also, if either the tailgate or the window gets stuck in one position or another the entire system breaks down. A hatch isolates the window system into its own system.

View attachment 1343463

View attachment 1343464

I'm not positive but I'd say a big reason is that you can't get proper weather sealing with a tailgate and window inside the tailgate which rolls up. Also, if either the tailgate or the window gets stuck in one position or another the entire system breaks down. A hatch isolates the window system into its own system.
I'm not sure about anywhere else but Australian station wagons and vans were forced by safety regulations to have windows that couldn't be opened because of exhaust fumes being sucked into the cabin if the rear was open while driving.

The solution for me with my old panel van was side pipes... but I still got in the 💩 for having the top half of tailgate up while cruising... and the side pipes, but I worked at an exhaust place so I had a spare exhaust ready to switch out whenever I got defected :sly:

I'm not sure about anywhere else but Australian station wagons and vans were forced by safety regulations to have windows that couldn't be opened because of exhaust fumes being sucked into the cabin if the rear was open while driving.

The solution for me with my old panel van was side pipes... but I still got in the 💩 for having the top half of tailgate up while cruising... and the side pipes, but I worked at an exhaust place so I had a spare exhaust ready to switch out whenever I got defected :sly:
I remember the exhaust concern was a thing for convertibles when I lived in the states. If I recall the rear window could be zippered open on some tops and that was a hazard.
I do remember the smell of leaded gas when we rode in the back of whoever wagon we rode in with the back window down.

I'm not aware of the rules but I suspect something like this is true. My Sequoia has aftermarket cats and when my rear is open it sucks a ton of fumes into the cabin and smells terrible.

I'm not entirely sure that the rear of this new 4Runner isn't simply the same as the old one. I kinda feel like to simplify development of this hatch they simply didn't change it.

7-8.png

Everything from the placement of the window frame and tail lights and hatch handle and bumps and bulges in the hatch and the bumper are all very similar. I wouldn't doubt the internal mechanism is exactly the same because it works.

GX-4R.JPG

The main thing I noticed about the 4Runner's tail lights is that they're mounted way higher relative to the bumper. Very similar to the current truck.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure that the rear of this new 4Runner isn't simply the same as the old one. I kinda feel like to simplify development of this hatch they simply didn't change it.

7-8.png

Everything from the placement of the window frame and tail lights and hatch handle and bumps and bulges in the hatch and the bumper are all very similar. I wouldn't doubt the internal mechanism is exactly the same because it works.

View attachment 1343558

The main thing I noticed about the 4Runner's tail lights is that they're mounted way higher relative to the bumper. Very similar to the current truck.
The rumbling around the Toyota circles is that the new 4Runner will still look roughly the same but just have a drivetrain that isn't 20+ years old. I'm inclined to believe that looking at the pictures.

1712326790590.png

It'll surely be on the new frame, I'm just curious how much of the old body structure they've spliced onto that. I assume the rearmost portion of the body is very similar because the hatch design and structure won't be shared with anything else. Reusing the old assembly line machines for the new hatch makes a lot of sense since tooling and training and QC will be relatively minor changes. Not sure if you've ever opened the guts of a 4Runner or Sequoia hatch but the window mechanics is big and complicated.

My immediate reaction is that it looks...not as good as I was expecting. Way too fussy, nothing at all like the clean designs of the new GX and Landcruiser.

Back