The Highway Girl: Page 9 - The New Reina

Page 8 - El Toro Rosso

Shin's tears start to flow from his eyes as he was given a lecture from Takuma.

Shin: "I just... don't want to be weak, that's all!"

Takuma: "Then don't shun away people that care for you. They are the ones that make you stronger."

Shin: "Look at you, you could have been killed because of my weakness! I should be the one lying down on that bed!"

Takuma: "Shin, you are a strong person. I am proud of what you achieved. There is no need to be so hard on to yourself."

Shin: "Otousan..."

Takuma: "You will always be my little warrior. The warrior that becomes stronger everyday and the warrior that cares for others. That's the Shin I used to know."

Shin: "I'm sorry..."

Takuma: "Oh well. I'll think of a way on how to punish you. Besides, I haven't attacked you for a week."

Finally, Daddy has been discharged. Another week goes by, and it was a delightful one. Shin apologized to me, and I happily accepted it. Shin is not a cold, heartless person, you know? Beneath his tough guy image beats a very warm heart.

And then the next morning...

Ben: "Yawn... Oh that's a nice sleep. Hmmmmm... Shin is not yet practicing his sword skills downstairs. Is he still asleep?"

As I head out, the door on Shin's room is open. And I see Daddy looking like as he is to strike on him.

And then he does. He runs for it and unleashes a flying kick on Shin who is still sleeping.

However, Shin immediately awakens! He immediately blocked Daddy's attack while sitting up!

Shin: "Idiot!"

Then Daddy unleashes another set of kicks, which were futile since Shin just blocks them again. Then he grabs Shin's bamboo sword. And just as he is about to swing it, Shin already points his Katana to Daddy! Truly amazing reflexes!

Shin: "Move an inch, and you will be a Takuma Sushi platter."

Takuma: "Good morning, Shin."

Shin: "Good morning, Otousan. I think I overslept."

Takuma: "Yeah, I thought you were cutting down my bamboo trees. That's not you at all."

Shin: "I rarely get up late, but I never I got hit by you. Ha!"

Well, there you have it. That is a normal routine between the two every morning. What a way to start the day...

Shin: "I'm going to Fuji Speedway. I am called yesterday to test the Red Bull X car I'll use for the upcoming series."

Takuma: "Oh I see. Have fun!"

And so, we go downstairs for a hearty breakfast. Mommy serves the Natto that Daddy just cooked.

Kokoro: "Your father always cooks good breakfast!"

Shin: "Hmmmm.... the soybeans aren't fermented enough."

Takuma: "Really? Good observation there!"

Shin: "But still tastes good. I don't know, some sort of wizardry?"

Takuma: "Of course not! That is Chef Takuma's special! Ha!"

Shin: "Yeah right, as if you are."

Kokoro: "Oh dear, the two are bickering again."

I tagged along with Shin, and Alex as well. Alex is very intrigued at the Red Bull X car. I wonder if he can fiddle with it. Anyways, we are just idling along the pit garage in Fuji Speedway since Shin is doing practice runs.

x2test1_zps2b66d9ff.jpg

Alex: "A fan car, eh?"

Ben: "It is still banned, but not entirely. After all, there's the Red Bull X Series for that."

x2test3_zps22120320.jpg

Alex: "Fan cars give you definite downforce at any rate of speed. No wonder they are banned. The fan allows the car to be pushed down all the time."

x2test4_zps43418319.jpg

Alex: "And also, that car requires a driver that pushed his body to its limits."

Ben: "I see. No wonder Shin's body is chiseled. He looks lean, and once he takes off his clothes, he means serious business. He needs muscle mass for that, I suppose."

x2test5_zpsb3ef704b.jpg

Shin manages to do a lap time of 57 seconds. He returns to the pit lane to give feedback.

Shin: "A few more adjustments, and she's ready to roll."

Ben: "Got it."

Shin: "Alex, I need your help. And I'm sorry for the way I treated you before. I know your skills already."

Alex: "Forget about it! It's okay. But I need time to study that car. It is fascinating."

Shin: "Please take your time. After all, it's not like the race will be tomorrow."

Thank goodness, Shin is warming up to others once again. Welcome back, my little brother!

End of Page 8

Shin2_zpsf96edcbf.jpg

Another drawing of Shin in casual clothing. The Hiragana writing on his shirt is read as "Shin", and the Kanji writing means "Shinsetsu", his whole name.

Page 9 - A Challenge Awaits

The next day, Shin wakes up early as usual, and once again practices his sword skills at the garden. I, meanwhile, wait at the dining area for breakfast. I wonder what is Daddy cooking for today? He will leave immediately after breakfast, as he is heading to the restaurant to prepare a special recipe for a VIP guest today. Although he is moving around his left arm a bit, and stretches it to crack its joints.

Takuma: "Damn... Shin just kicked my left shoulder this time, and it hurts so bad."

Kokoro: "You know, you're gonna end up back in the hospital if you and Shin keep up with that routine every morning."

Takuma: "Nah, he likes it a lot, actually. And besides, it keeps him in top form, especially that the first round of the Red Bull X Series will be two weeks from now."

Ben: "I see. Oh, and Alex is still studying the machine. He actually took it apart."

Takuma: "That's normal for mechanics. Besides, his father used to do that in his heyday. I miss him a lot..."

Ben: "I'm wondering what's Shin's workout routine for him to get that kind of form. He never even bothered to share it at all. His body is coping up with the Red Bull X's immense forces."

Takuma: "Same as mine, actually."

Ben: "Eh? Really?"

Takuma: "And he hates taking protein supplements and other enhancements. He does take protein, from chicken breasts."

Ben: "Then how about the workout?"

Takuma: "He usually does 300 to 500 pushups. Then around a hundred sit-ups. Then he jogs around Ueno park for 10-20 laps. When at the gym, he spends 40 minutes on the treadmill and then he lifts weights to increase his muscle mass. Though he still keeps his lean figure, as he doesn't want to be bulky."

Ben: "Man.... I think I can't do that! Both of you are men of steel!"

Then Shin gets inside. I think he's hungry... I really envy my little brother. He is very talented and really pursues the things he really like. As early as 7 years old, he had beaten up adults in Karate sessions in the dojo. Though of course, he competes in the same age group in competitions, which made him disappointed.

Shin: "Is breakfast served?"

Takuma: "Just a minute, boy. Sit down."

Shin: "You're always a slowpoke."

Takuma: "Real cooking is not preparing instant noodles for 3 minutes! It takes craftsmanship and careful hands."

Shin: "There you go again, you and you're dramatic statements. As if you're the Ryouri no Tetsujin."

Takuma: "If I become one, then I will have no mercy when we spar."

Shin: "Just serve it, Pops. You're the only person in the world that I'll have food from."

And so he serves it. It is pan-fried salmon fillet. Hmmmm.... it could be beneficial for Shin, since it is a good source of protein.

Shin: "You're gonna kill me with cholesterol with this. But tastes really good and I am getting the right amount of protein..."

Ben: "I love salmon. Though at one point my stomach really got painful when I ate Salmon sashimi in a restaurant."

Shin: "Then that just goes to show you made a mistake not eating Otousan's cooking."

Ben: "Oh, and Alex took the Red Bull X car apart. He is in the process of studying it."

Shin: "Good. He has to do it if he wants to set it up properly. Just like high school's animal dissection."

Ben: "I will be heading back to Europe next month. Ricky McCarthy offered me a spot in a race in Monza, Italy."

Takuma: "Oh that half-Brit, half-Filipino car reviewer with a spiteful tongue. He inherited that from his father. Say hi to him for me, okay? Oh, do you know that your Uncle Samui and his wife has a residence there? You can just stay with them for the time being."

Shin and I head to the garage where the Red Bull X is stashed. As we get in, Alex is putting it back together. We decided to aid him since it is hard, especially that carbon fiber body does not deserve a scratch, and the engine parts has to be fitted precisely.

Alex: "Thanks for helping, guys. Shin, are you ready for the race?"

Shin: "More than ever."

Alex: "It's really a fascinating car. The tires are even more expensive than the ones seen in Formula 1 machines. And if this is to be maintained, it would cost a lot of effort and money, of course."

Shin: "The next round will be held in Europe as well. After the race here, it would be shipped to Red Bull's headquarters for maintenance."

Alex: "It is truly a pleasure to work on something like this. Though I think I lack the skills to set it up."

Shin: "To be able for you to take it apart, study it, come up with conclusions, and put it back together in one piece makes you even better than Formula 1 mechanics. Do not let your father down, Alex."

I believe in Alex's skills as a mechanic. I'm sure he's a very valuable asset in Shin's team. Shin pats on Alex's shoulder.

Shin: "Just believe in yourself. You are a strong person."

Time does go by quickly. To think 2 weeks quickly passed by. The Red Bull X Series officially started after the ceremonies. We are now back in Fuji Speedway with the family along.

Takuharu: "Itoko, you're the only Japanese who made it in this field. Make our country proud. Someday, I'll be running in this event too."

Shin: "The people that support me provides me more than enough strength to conquer this challenge. I have learned more about bonds, and they actually make people stronger."

Takuharu: "You're right! And guess what, I think the four of us will be heading to Europe!"

Shin: "Why?"

Takuharu: "Hey hey, the 3rd round of the GT By Citroen One Make Series will be held in the Nurburgring! I guess Reina will be left to take care of our senior citizens. Ha!"

Reina: "No fair!"

Takanori: "You heard that, Aniki? Senior citizens they say."

Takuma: "Well, that's our children. We are very proud of them. They are the new generation of the fastest racers... in the world."

Takanori: "Oh what to do in retirement? Hmmmm.... I wanna enjoy it! We're just 42 years old!"

Takuma: "I have a surprise for Shin before he leaves for Europe. Oh, I gotta go take a leak."

The race has started in a rolling manner. Shin is at the middle of the pack.

x2race1_zpseb485a09.jpg

Shin: "All right, nincompoops."

x2race2_zps02eb4807.jpg

Shin: "Too scared to take that corner at 300+ KM/H? You don't deserve to drive it!"

Whoa, Shin is already at the high ranks? I expected this to be a dogfight!

x2race3_zpsc14423d8.jpg

It's totally impossible for an F1 car to brake from 400 KM/H here on the long straight to make it on the first corner. Red Bull X cars are like gods!

x2race4_zps8f1036e0.jpg

Shin: "I like seeing purple. Hmmmm... I think I'll play along."

x2race5_zpsfa5304fa.jpg

x2race6_zpsac0c0be3.jpg

Shin: "Hmmmmm.... oh well, time to make a pass."

Shin looks at his opponent driver at his right and raises his middle finger as a provocation.

Shin: "Hehehehehe... catch me if you can."

x2race8_zpse4ff1b6d.jpg

Daddy gave me a can of soda from the vending machine. He also gives one to Uncle Takanori.

Takanori: "So, what's your surprise for him? I won't tell, I promise."

Takuma: "Shin and I...

...will have a showdown."

End of Page 9

x2race7moo_zps6e20e83f.png

What can you suggest in the father-son match?

787B vs. Furai

Countach vs. Miura (cows mooing once again...)

Zonda R vs. Furai

RE Amemiya FD3S duel (GT300 vs. Touge Monster)

Page 10 - The Worthy Successor

Eh, already? Shin just left the house very early. Even Daddy didn't have the chance to attack him. Oh well, Shin is a grown man, I am sure he knows what he is doing.

Daddy is making breakfast as usual. As for me, I am watching the morning news. Today, it shall be another boring day, as I have no race to compete on today. My manager is still sorting out things for the next one.

Takuma: "Tomorrow, it should be one hell of a grudge match once he wakes up."

Kokoro: "Oh dear.... here they go again."

Ben: "I think he said last night that he shall be playing with his "Rotary Toy"."

Takuma: "Oh I get it."

Ben: "Isn't that odd? We have three of the same car now..."

Takuma: "Shin and I love rotaries, that's all. There's something about them that makes them unique. That heavenly roar... and its power produced by a small engine. Then its unparalleled handling."

Ben: "I haven't driven a Rotary before, so I have no idea..."

Takuma: "Oh boy... we have three FDs in our garage yet you don't have the time to drive at least one of them? Okay, let's go for a drive, shall we?"

Ben: "But what about the restaurant?"

Takuma: "The chefs can handle it even without me. They are actually chefs that finished culinary school, you know? I'll go there by sundown, don't worry."

Ben: "So, where shall we go?"

Takuma: "Where the Touge Monster resides..."

Shin is having a shakedown of his naturally-aspirated 3 rotor FD3S at Suzuka Circuit.

re1_zps325b7f75.jpg

Shin: "Regardless of aspiration, the Rotary engine sounds really good! Especially the 3 rotor! This is a normally-aspirated custom built 3 rotor that makes 388 horsepower."

re2_zpsf94cc19f.jpg

Shin: "Otousan has another 3 rotor FD, but he has another one that only has 2 rotors which everyone calls "The Touge Monster". It actually makes more power than this one..."

re3_zps4fc260e9.jpg

Shin: "But I can make it up using this car's high level of downforce!"

re4_zps653b0345.jpg

Shin: "Hm... it revs freely, huh? That is something that turbos can't do.

I wonder if I can beat the Touge Monster with this one..."

And so, we head to the hills at the outskirts of Tokyo. Daddy drives the FD like an extension of his body! He pushes it at its best!

re5_zpsd22d8442.jpg

re6_zps9d9d715f.jpg

The turbos boost well, acceleration is just insane. So this is what a small rotary engine can do, huh?

Takuma: "Now you get it why?"

Ben: "I guess so."

He is playing with the accelerator pedal once again to keep the car in check. Then he buries it down to initiate a drift!

re7_zpsdcadcfe5.jpg

Takuma: "You can easily do this with a car that has a 50/50 weight distribution."

Ben: "I think I'll be driving this soon enough."

Takuma: "Try it. You'll see why Shin and I love rotaries. I guess it's time..."

reamemiya_zps075e318e.png

Takuma: "...to see if Shin is a worthy successor!"

End of Page 10

I'm actually reading all the stories again, from the very first book. :P

Anyways, I need help for the duel. The GT300 FD3S must only have 388 HP and max downforce. No turbo upgrade whatsoever.

Tires: Racing Hard

Track: Can you suggest one? :P

I'll suggest Motegi or Grand Valley since you really didn't showcase these tracks yet.

Probably the Grand Valley or one of GT's original tracks.

Oh, I intended Takuma to own a racetrack during the timeskip, so it should be one of those tracks.

;)

Page 11 - Smoke Bomb

Man... that's the best sleep I ever had. No problems have plagued us yesterday. And to think I got to experience the wonders of a Rotary-engined car.

Hmmmmm.... what to do today? As I stretched out my arms, I head out of my room, and so does Shin. He is looking around.

Shin: "Eh? I wonder where's Otousan? Though I am sensing that he might attack from somewhere..."

Ben: "You are so used to that, huh?"

We both go downstairs, with Shin still in "attack mode", as he calls it.

Kokoro: "Good morning, children! Oh, your father just left."

Shin: "Really? Huh, what a surprise."

Kokoro: "Besides, I don't think kicking your father's butt every morning is healthy. He headed to Grand Valley Speedway."

Grand Valley Speedway... it's such a wonderful track. It was once a project of racing enthusiasts, but they ran out of funds making it, hence they stopped its construction for 5 years, until Daddy bought it from them and finished the track.

It's such a wonderful spectacle, especially when overlooking from the bridge.

Shin: "To be honest, I never had tried racing there... I didn't know that he owns a track. He never told me about it."

Kokoro: "He said that it's for you, Shin. He thinks that you'll like it."

Ben: "Eh? You've never been there, huh?"

Shin: "How about I go there now? I want to have my FD tested there."

Ben: "I'll come along."

Kokoro: "Me too. I'll just dress up, okay?"

No wonder Daddy left early... it takes 4 hours to get there! We called him up to inform him of our presence. And then, I just saw his FD at the pit lane. Man, they both look good together. The FD3S is 40 years old... and yet it still is attractive and has a lot of fans.

Takuma: "Good thing you arrived, Shin."

Shin: "I am interested in this track. You never told me about this."

Takuma: "Well, now you're here, you get to drive around it. Why don't we race?"

Shin: "Huh? Already?"

Takuma: "I have been waiting for this. I want to see if you are a worthy successor."

Shin: "Worthy... successor?"

Takuma: "We have 4 laps. I guess that would be long enough for you to familiarize with it, right? I thought you can drive at any track?"

Shin: "Bring it on, Pops. So in exchange for not attacking me this morning, you get to race me here, eh? Fair enough."

Takuma: "Besides, we don't want our bones cracking when we race."

They just line up at the starting line without any further adieu. You know, Shin is similar to Daddy when it comes to... everything. It is interesting to see them both race.

But isn't that a bit unfair? Shin's 3-rotor FD has better aerodynamics, hands down, and they work on their best at a track!

But both of them run on slick tires, though. Plus, Daddy's FD has more power and more usable torque. And FDs are known for their handling prowess.

They're off! You can see the clear difference in power.

smoke1_zps903c4867.jpg

smoke2_zpsd1fe77c4.jpg

Shin: "I think I just have to follow him around. I haven't driven around here."

smoke3_zpseccaca51.jpg

Takuma: "Even though this is the first time you're driving here, you've already kept up with me. Maybe because of your FD's aerodynamics.

Time to show you something..."

Shin: "He's sliding?"

smoke4_zps256abc67.jpg

smoke5_zps0b65eb44.jpg

Takuma: "Take this!"

smoke6_zps6afa5a49.jpg

Shin: "Errr... I don't really like drifting at all. It's slow and showy... Are you intending to pull off something?"

Takuma: "Whoops.... But how about this?"

smoke7_zps77c242d0.jpg

smoke8_zps58017592.jpg

Shin: "Shoot! I'm completely blinded by the smoke! Oh crap, I'm hitting the wall!"

Shin hits the brakes before making contact on the wall, allowing Takuma's FD to pull away.

smoke9_zpsc565a353.jpg

Shin: "Never mind the wonderful scenery... Dammit, why are you doing this to me?"

smoke10_zps904977ad.jpg

Shin: "Thank you, wide body kit and spoiler... You allowed me to keep up through the turns. Though his FD is an ace in the corners too."

Both cars start the 2nd lap. Shin is just drafting behind... However, at the first corner.

smoke11_zpsed789052.jpg

Takuma: "Whoops... too much on the accelerator..."

Shin: "Dammit! I am heading to the sand!"

smoke12_zps5cb69ae6.jpg

Shin: "Now you've done it, idiot. I'm not gonna give up..."

smoke13_zpsb75f2463.jpg

Shin: "Tomorrow morning, I'll chop you up and I'll have Takuma Sushi Platter for breakfast! Bring it on!"

End of Page 11

Good chapter, as usual.

Anyways, I wasn't able to show up earlier, due to something I had to attend to.

Tomorrow shall be the other half of the race.

Oh, there are 2 possible sequels:

Nobuyuki goes snow rallying (using present time)

or

Reina's highway crossroads with different people, and that includes meeting a man that would make her heart beat.

Page 12 - Proud

GrandValleySpeedway1_zps385ae13a.jpg

Shin: "Damn you... I'm not gonna give up, even if you're my father!"

GrandValleySpeedway2_zps0984ed98.jpg

Takuma: "Oh hoh... be thankful of your FD's aerodynamics. But don't just rely on that all the time, boy."

GrandValleySpeedway3_zpsd4000cf4.jpg

Shin: "Just brake late and dive in, and I can take the lead."

GrandValleySpeedway4_zps84693388.jpg

Shin: "Sorry, not gonna fall for that anymore!"

GrandValleySpeedway5_zpsea745eee.jpg

Takuma: "Impressive! Well, anyone can counter my blinding smoke tricks."

GrandValleySpeedway6_zpse99cf25a.jpg

Takuma: "Time does go so fast, doesn't it? You were just a little boy back then... you reminded me of me. Then despite all the harsh training regimen I put you through, you never gave up. You truly are a Kanonji, never giving up. And look at you now, you can beat me up every morning and now this..."

GrandValleySpeedway7_zps13bcc44b.jpg

Takuma: "I went in too fast! Opening is too big!"

GrandValleySpeedway8_zps2bd9583d.jpg

Shin: "Heh, you still managed to block me. Your accelerator techniques are second to none. It's a high level technique....

...and you won't let me eat supper whenever I spin out. I remember those days.

I shall show you, the results of my training!"

GrandValleySpeedway9_zpsb5b7d8f1.jpg

Takuma: "He's diving in.... I like it."

GrandValleySpeedway10_zps1cdf4fa1.jpg

At the hairpin, Takuma's FD hangs on the outside.

Takuma: "I'm ending up in oversteer if I push on the pedal!"

Shin: "You think cornering at the outside is easy for a rear-wheel drive?"

GrandValleySpeedway10_zps1cdf4fa1.jpg

GrandValleySpeedway11_zps18ad804f.jpg

Takuma: "I'm really impressed, Shin. You really do deserve to race in Red Bull X Series."

It's the final lap. Shin is at the lead. But even if that's the case, everything can change!

GrandValleySpeedway12_zps00ee9aa9.jpg

Shin's FD overspeeds in the hairpin.

GrandValleySpeedway13_zpsa2ab884d.jpg

Shin: "Damn! Too fast!"

But Takuma's FD is suffering either. The rear wheels spin too much due to the lack of grip.

GrandValleySpeedway14_zps085f3002.jpg

Takuma: "Those tricks I pulled caused my car's rear tires to suffer."

GrandValleySpeedway15_zps798d59f0.jpg

Shin: "I'll use the remaining grip to outrun you once and for all!"

GrandValleySpeedway16_zpsda34b7cb.jpg

Takuma: "All I could do now is watch... watch you soar and blitz your way to success. I am so proud of you.... and I have yet to say that."

GrandValleySpeedway17_zpse8ec5d20.jpg

Shin finally takes the win! Actually, this is the only time that two raced each other.

GrandValleySpeedway18_zps3f889fe5.jpg

The two cars pulled over. Daddy approaches Shin. I wonder what are they talking about?

Takuma: "You had me. Nice one..."

Shin: "But you are the only worthy opponent I had ever raced. Not because you're my father, but I got to see why you are so famous. I finally beat you in where you're really good at."

Takuma: "I had planned this race for long. And even this track is built for you, Shin. It demands serious driver input and concentration. This track is for you to hone your skills. Ever since you were born, I can already tell that you are my successor, Shin."

Shin, you should be very happy hearing that.

Takuma: "Well, this is it. I am officially retired from racing. It's now up to you on how you live on your life. Though you should carry on the flames of determination for the next generation. But rest assured, your family is here to guide you.

And...

I'm very... very proud of you."

Well, I am always here, Shin. We are close, and I always get to do a noogie on you. If you're in trouble... I'll lend you my helping hand.

You are the fastest Kanonji...

Thank you for spending your time with me! I'm heading to Europe with Shin, Takuharu, and Alex. Oh, we're meeting with someone in Germany, and he's a very special friend.

You want to know who he is?

gsxr4_zps819d89b9.jpg

His name is Nigel Heidelberg. Hmmmm.... I wonder how skilled he is. They say that he is very precise.

The End​

The Highway Girl​

Page 1 - WEST Corvette No. 5

Greetings, everyone! My name is Reina Kanonji, and as you know, I am Japan's GT-R Girl. I just love the GT-R for its racing heritage and tuning prowess. Guess I inherited that from my beloved father, eh? My older brother, Takuharu, has mixed feelings for the GT-R, but it's okay.

At daylight, I work as an editor of a women's magazine. The nature of the job makes me exposed in social gatherings and as well as having to encounter lots of different personalities.

I am happy with my job, but I have yet to encounter someone....

...that will rock my world.

It's nighttime, and this is what I do!

highway1_zps799443d0.jpg

Route 5 has become my playground. I just love its challenging curves, for a highway.

highway2_zpsa78721c7.jpg

270... 280... 290... 300! It's been a challenge for street racers to reach 300 KM/H on that short stretch.

My favorite among all the GT-Rs is this, the R34. It represents the pinnacle of Japan's glory days of super JDMs. It has more character than the R35, actually... Takuharu likes the R35, though. The R35 is in a different league. It wants to be known as a proper GT car, and that's evident with its rather plushy interior.

highway3_zpsd973cd32.jpg

highway4_zpsf8ab35a4.jpg

My lap time of 1 minute and 17.2 seconds remains unbeaten, and this is where people know my other side of me...

Of course I am the daughter of Takanori Kanonji, one of the fastest racers in Japan! I have racing genes running in my blood!

Oh shoot... Someone's calling, and it's Otousan.

Reina: "Hello."

Takanori: "Where have you been?"

Reina: "As usual, running in Route 5."

Takanori: "Why do you have to use that R34!? You know how special it is for me..."

Reina: "Relax, it's not that I'm gonna break it. I'm going home now."

Takanori: "Since you are running in the highway so often, allow me to tell a story once you arrive home. I always forget to tell it to you."

Reina: "Okay..."

Meanwhile, in Route 7...

highway5_zpsf817448b.jpg

highway6_zps784eb9b8.jpg

highway7_zps7389dc31.jpg

The Corvette is on its way to Route 5.

And so I arrived home. Otousan is at the living room, drinking tea. So I joined him.

What's the story he's going to tell?

Takanori: "Ever heard of the WEST Corvette No. 5?"

Reina: "I haven't. What is it?"

Takanori: "It's one of the fastest cars in the highway. If you are looking for a challenge, then seek for it.

But it also has a tendency to reject challengers. It is said to challenge only those who have proven themselves to be worthy."

End of Page 1

Page 2 - Smashing The Record

I just sat down with Otousan and hear him out about that WEST Corvette No. 5. I'm kinda interested, but not something I would write an article out of. I'm in a women's magazine!

Takanori: "In my heyday, that WEST Corvette was a heavily-tuned C4."

west2_zps2a81cc50.jpg

west3_zpsa7952cb6.jpg

Takanori: "It's just one of the few cars in the highway that has no fear of exceeding 320 KM/H. Most racers back then were backing off if they do, considering the traffic."

west4_zps7d015023.jpg

Takanori: "It's also the one that actually started the 300 KM/H challenge in Route 5. To think it can achieve that speed on that short, main straight."

west5_zps8bca8adc.jpg

Takanori: "For a time being, it was the fastest in Route 5, but it has been beaten by a few. Nonetheless, it was still feared."

west6_zps2c065178.jpg

west7_zps0a987a33.jpg

Takanori: "They say that one should back off or yield upon seeing a black Corvette with Bronze wheels and a rear wing. Only a few would dare to challenge it, and it even rejects challengers."

Reina: "Does it appear often?"

Takanori: "After its Route 5 lap record being beaten, it had gradually reduced its frequency of appearances, until it totally disappeared in Japan's street racing scene."

Reina: "So why do have to take caution of it if it has disappeared for good?"

Takanori: "There have been reported sightings of it in Route 7 very recently, but they're rather vague, saying that it's a "black Corvette with a wing". There are lots of tuned Corvettes in this country, you know? Could be a fan, but who knows, it could be that one."

Reina: "I see. That's an interesting story you came up there. I might check that out if I have the time. Right now, I have an article to finish. I'll head upstairs."

Takanori: "Good night, my GT-R girl."

Corvette, huh? I've been seeing lots of them here in this country. I haven't driven one, either. But based on his story and its popularity reaching here, I can safely assume that it must be a very fast car.

In Route 5, the heavily-tuned C6 Corvette arrives at high speed.

west8_zps1df2678d.jpg

west9_zps3b017523.jpg

west10_zpsabbbd1b7.jpg

west11_zps15280298.jpg

There are a few street racers present, and they are amazed at the car's speed upon blitzing by the main straight.

Street Racer: "Isn't that...? No way..."

The next morning, I wake up early to finish that damn article. It's rather sensitive in nature, and it takes a lot of brainstorming to get it right. But, like most people, I strayed for a while and checked a racing blog. There has been a hot thread, titled:

Route 5 New Record

Whoa, did someone beat my lap time? So I check it.

To my surprise, I saw a photo of my lap record written on the asphalt but being crossed out by spray paint. Below it is the new lap record of 1 minute and 16.2 seconds! I am beaten by a second! And what's more surprising, below that lap time, the title WEST No. 5 is written! But, according to the person who created the thread, it's a C6 Corvette that beat my lap time.

That's odd, why a C6?

End of Page 2

This looks like a classic setup for a grudge match.

Also, the only time i remember matching 1 min 16 seconds was with a GT by Citroën Race Car with 1 min 16.9 seconds. Lots of potential competition to Route 5 may be sparked with that Corvette.

Page 3 - The Demanding Boss

And so, I head straight to work first thing in the morning, still with the article not yet finished and I haven't had breakfast. I brought my R34 for today, you know? Heehee...

As usual, I parked the car at the employee's parking lot, and then my boss arrives... in a yellow Ferrari Enzo, parking beside my car. She just steps out of the car, not in a pleasant mood. Her name is Hiroko Kirishima, and she is the Features Director of the magazine.

Hiroko: "Oh well, it's kinda normal to park beside peasants."

Reina: "Good morning, Sacho-san..."

Hiroko: "You'd better come up with a good news to start this morning right."

Reina: "The article is not yet finished..."

Hiroko: "What!? Oh great! All the articles are not yet finished! Do you know that today is the deadline?"

Reina: "I'm really sorry. It's a sensitive topic."

Hiroko: "I don't care how sensitive it is. You chose it, so you and your team can handle it right?!"

Reina: "Don't worry, Ma'am. It will be finished at the end of the day."

Hiroko: "It better be! Ugh... time to go in. My frilled dress does not fit my mood today."

That's right... she comes everyday to work in her most lavish outfits. If I am the Andrea, then she's the Amanda Priestly.

Okay, time to work!

It's lunch time, and I decided to head out of the building to eat lunch outside. As I am walking, one of the heels broke off! Owwww!!! That fall hurt! My stockings ran! Oh shoot... what a day.

Then I saw someone reaching out a hand. I looked up, and it's a man presumably in his mid-20s. He has a yellow shoulder length hair and he wears a business attire as well. He helped me rise up.

"You okay, miss?"

Reina: "Oh thanks. Ummmm... who are you?"

"My name is Kenji Rogers."

Reina: "Kenji Rogers? By your name, I assume you're half-American."

Kenji: "That's right. Hey, since we're in front of a restaurant, shall we eat together? After all, you do need to sit and relax for a while."

Reina: "Oh okay."

That's so helpful of him. Oh shoot, how am I supposed to get back in the building across the street? My spare heels are in the car! And judging by his accent, he sounds purely American. He only speaks English, eh?

Kenji: "You know, I find Japanese food peculiar."

Reina: "Really? And oh, this is your first time eating sushi?"

Kenji: "Actually, yes. The truth is, I was born here, but me and my parents immediately migrated to the U.S. and lived in Los Angeles. Even though my mother is Japanese, she never taught me how to speak her language nor even eat a Japanese dish. I just learned to use chopsticks."

Reina: "Oh I see. How about your father?"

Kenji: "He divorced my mother and then returned here to pursue his interests until he died 5 years ago. I left the U.S. after that as a rebellion against my strict mother who turns out to have totally hated men, knowing her experiences with my father, I suppose."

Reina: "That's sad to hear."

Kenji: "How about you?"

Reina: "Well, I work in a women's magazine. I am an editor..."

Kenji: "For such young age, you achieved that position? You are incredibly talented."

Despite that upbringing, he is really nice and it feels comfortable for him to tell his origins. You know, I think I have found someone to have a nice talk with.

Just at closing time, I managed to submit the article Sacho-san demanded. She puts the folder on top of the other folders filled with the other articles. She decided to finish the entire issue this week.

We have to overwork, huh? Oh well.

And so, we left the building together and cruise along the highway.

Hiroko: "Just get out of my way, peasant! Ferraris are to be treated with respect! There are only two types of cars, Ferraris and Peasants!"

She just honks and honks so that I make way for her. Hey, she can overtake me when she wants to.

boss1_zps208b710e.jpg

Hiroko: "Fine, you're not gonna like it if you scratch this baby! I'll be heading out! This is a Ferrari! Give some respect!"

So... she asks for it. Oh well, I'll give it. So I just bury down the throttle.

boss3_zpsf4bfe0f9.jpg

Hiroko: "Whoa... what gives!?"

boss4_zps4b5df557.jpg

Is Godzilla too much for you?

boss5_zps643e664a.jpg

You have no idea about my family name, b:censored:ch. I am a totally different person once I sit behind the wheel.

Time to head to Route 5... I shall beat that lap time.

End of Page 3

Vocabulary

Sacho - Boss

Sacho-san is what employees usually call their bosses.

Online scrubs in a nutshell.

For having that b:censored:h put where she belongs, you can have all the thumbs up from me.
But due to forum policies on spam (if there is) i shall only give one. ;) 👍

Back