The "No-Tuning" Club

• Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 67 comments
Pretty easy to grasp... I don't "tune up" my cars. I buy tires, and that's it. Bone stock otherwise. Here's why:

1) I prefer to enjoy the cars for what they are as opposed to what I can make them. When I start fiddling with them, they're no longer what they were. That's not a Ferrari 458 anymore, it just looks like one.

2) The tuning in-game is unrealistic. You buy a car that's essentially the greatest that modern engineering can create, and yet the game allows you to just slap a Stage 3 turbo on it and make it way beyond what it could ever achieve in real life. The people that made these cars in the first place didn't do that because it would tear itself apart if you tried. Only a fool would think he could just slap a new exhaust on a Veyron and make it "better".

3) Real cars are balanced. Performance cars in particular. There's a fine balance between weight, acceleration, speed, suspension, handling, etc. When you start ramping up the car, that balance gets thrown out of whack. This is why you see people complaining about some of the best cars in the game being "undrivable". They buy a nice car, and the first thing they do is take it to the shop and slap every single upgrade they can on it, and it turns into an unwieldy beast. It spins too easy, it can't brake, it corners like a bus, etc. This goes back to point #1 above.

And I don't think I'm "missing out" on anything. If I want to go faster, there are plenty of cars I can just buy that will go faster. I'm not losing races because I'm not tuning. If I can't win something, I'll go find a car that can win, not "beef up" my current car.

Who else agrees with me? Let the cars be the cars.

Yes!! 👍 Agree 100% with this.

I do make some minor changes to some of my cars, but it doesn't go more than changing the ECU, or some other minor tune to make it feel like I own the car.

But reducing all weight, adding custom transmission, suspension, racing tires, turbos or serious mods no. I stay away from that. It kills the car in my opinion. There are exceptions when I have to take the tunning further, but those might be a 5% of my garage. And still, they could be considered almost stock.

When racing online, of course I always loose because of this, but at least I enjoy the car while the rest are just stressed out trying to win like if there was no tomorrow :lol:

GT6 is in two parts just as in GT5 a part for the gamer driver and a part for the core drivers, though you'll find core driver following gamer mind set just to compete.

Stock is best. Living with a cars weak areas rather than tuning them out is much more satisfying to me.

I do also like to tune, but I keep that for the Fit so I can make it a giant killer. :)

1) I prefer to enjoy the cars for what they are as opposed to what I can make them. When I start fiddling with them, they're no longer what they were. That's not a Ferrari 458 anymore, it just looks like one.
That's just silly.
This would be fine and dandy if GT6 physics were a 100% accurate representation of the real car.
Also, wouldn't this mean that any car with dash adjustable suspension is no longer itself if you adjust the settings?
Let's not forget the fact that majority of all cars you can buy are held back/performance limited for safety/predictability because of the average driver's ability. They're not all they could be or were mean to be.

Having said that, I agree with keeping car's as stock as possible, just not for the excuses reasons you listed.

2) The tuning in-game is unrealistic. You buy a car that's essentially the greatest that modern engineering can create, and yet the game allows you to just slap a Stage 3 turbo on it and make it way beyond what it could ever achieve in real life. The people that made these cars in the first place didn't do that because it would tear itself apart if you tried. Only a fool would think he could just slap a new exhaust on a Veyron and make it "better".

See Hennessy tuned cars ( or other big time tuning house ). They are like BASF. They don't make the highest performance cars in the world, they make them faster ( not necessarily better).

However all in all I agree, especially for cars at the higher end of the scale stock. For the cars I do tune I often have stock and tuned versions of the same car and drive the stock/slightly modded much more often than the maxed out curiosities.

Umm...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/aftermarket/go-news-aftermarket-hennessey-hpe-700-ferrari-458

I like your general idea, and I would love to race stock cars, but to act like the manufacture has the ultimate say in the design of a car is stupid. There are plenty of tuners that take great cars like the 458, GT-R, Corvette and make them even better. The manufacture simply tunes them to the point where it's still financially profitable to sell them. Tuners don't have to sell a whole lineup of cars, so they can really take the cars and tune it to what it can really do.

And here's a tuned Veyron that's lighter and 108hp more powerful than the one Bugatti sells.

http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/luxuryliving/2013/03/bugatti-veyron-vincero

I like to keep most cars are stock, and if I'm going to mod, only do what is available IRL
It's a shame you can't fix the gear ratios on the cars they have gotten wrong without fitting a sequential gearbox, and getting the related whine.
Also racing stock cars it makes it more about driving not, how the car is set-up / Tuned.

I hear what your saying and always drive the cars stock before fiddling with them. If anything it makes the game more enjoyable as you race the AI and it's nice to drive the car as the designers of the game intend.

Car manufacturers drive hundreds if thousands miles to hone and setup these cars BUT....

.... they are designed for road use and not track use. So tyres, brakes and suspension are often necessary.

.... they come with warranties with engine etc designed to last as long as possible. Therefore detuned in power with the trade off of a longer life. Not a concern in GT6 world. Therefore moderate tuning is completely understandable. Veyron comment fully appreciated though!

.... and tuning does create a whole raft of variables which people can get lost in setting up a car. The introduction of just soft/hard/rally suspension was a great new inclusion.

hmmm... well IMO slapping a stage 3 turbo on a car is not tuning at all.
Tuning has more to do with changing settings on existing parts and pretty much all cars can benefit from it.

Most of the cars in the game are production cars built for road use and not for racing. A adjustable suspension with the proper tweaks can do wonders for the way the car drives. There are also a lot of cars that have only 4 gears or less and have a gear ratio that does not allow them to achieve the speed that the car is capable of so a 5 speed or adjustable tranny is another big help.

I'm all for stock cars! However, I'm not oppose to suspension or maybe LSD tuning, nothing fierce but just enough to get rid of some over/understeer. Some cars drive like crap (mostly FF cars), terrible understeer - I'll tune those just to get the most out of the car.

But as in real life, I don't like production models, models for the city streets - they're tuned terribly for understeer, so in the game (as well in real life) I'd like to at least get them up to "semi-track ready".

We race same car no-tune series, since I have done this my driving has improved tenfold, no longer am I mucking around trying to tune out my bad driving habbits.
Nothing like beating your opponent in exactly the same car to know that you have your driving sorted!

That said I'm not 100% against tuning, I prefer a balance for my PP cars where I keep them as stock as possible but do like to adjust camber, brake bias and gear ratios just as you would in real life.

I agree 100% with the OP. There's nothing like driving a stock car with all its designed characteristics. I haven't even tuned a single car in GT6 -- I've only painted a few cars and put wings on my Countaches (the ones like the real thing, not giant wings). Normally I buy sports soft tires but honestly I've been perfectly fine with sports hard or whatever comes with the car in GT6 so far, be it a slower car with comfort softs for example.

I have no real desire to tune cars and I'd love to race online with others who drive stock cars.

Sadly most tunes turn cars in magic flying carpets. At least in my experience. What's the point?

On the other hand I fiddle a bit with the settings on race cars. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having my own racing engineer so I have to get my own hands dirty. But I avoid it on most occasions. Then again I see no shame in using TCS. Makes no difference compared to mocking about with diff settings until you can floor the throttle mid corner in a 700 hp LMP1 in my book.

But yes, it's stock for me any day.

I tuned a lot in GT5 primarily for LMP and GT500 races. With GT6 I'm pretty committed to no tuning for series races. I do have friends I like to race with who leave tuning open as an option. If this is the case and I want to be competitive, I've been buying a second car to adjust suspension and LSD to race with the pack, GT500 stock for my series races and a second tuned for jumping in with open tune races. If interested in tuning prohibited races, I'm starting a GT300 series mid January. We are testing now and have a good group of equal performing cars to choose from. We are also working on a LMP GT series, one off IROC series and a Sports Coupe series to name a few. We lost a few of our regulars to iracing so our numbers are low, we could benefit having a few more drivers who like to run stock races. Next testing Monday. Regular race days Wednesdays after New Years. PSN is same as my name here. Have fun.

Black and white is not a practical solution for most things, flexibility is.

I run a lot of cars stock in the career mode where the bar is set so low.
That being said, some of them may require adjustment, like Final Gear (Tsukuba vs Fujii)

The beauty of Gran Turismo is that it provides entertainment for varying automotive tastes.
Different strokes for different folks as they say, I understand the motivation behind tuning.

It includes everyone from the novice trying to get an advantage on the AI in career races...
...to the seasoned racer in organized on-line racing trying to get a leg up on the competition.

Relying on PD programmers to deliver a "proper" representation of stock car can also be folly.
There are multiple documented instances of that in past & present GT series, they can make mistakes...
...they are human...and sometimes the tuners in the community can fix it, sometimes not.

You may prefer your coffee black, but the next person might like their's with cream & sugar...
...some even with an extra tune of whiskey.

Last edited:
Horses for courses. I do tune some cars, but I always drive them for a while stock to get to know them. In GT5 where the engine +1+2+3 mods were irreversible, I'd often refrain from doing them until I'd bought a second car to keep stock. It's good to be able to add some power to keep things competitive e.g when using an older car vs more modern ones. Often a close ratio gearbox is all that's needed if the track is short and twisty. Generally I'm happy with any FR that has 150-300 BHP, so I do give some of the oldies a bit of a power increase.

Cheers,

Bread

I enjoy stock racing from time to time, but I don't agree with your points.

In GT, it's definitely still a 458. You can barely do anything to the cars as it is and if you limit yourself to just some bolt on engine stuff, it's still essentially stock. I don't have a lot of experience with GT6, but if you take the S7 or Speed 12 in GT5, nothing you can do will change the character of those cars. Pretty much all road cars in the game feel like road cars no matter what is changed with the exception of RM.

Tuning doesn't change the cars, not in the game, and to an extent not in real life. Some cars will handles modifications better than others. This is part of the car's nature I think, especially when it comes to racing since pure stock racing is a terrible idea since there is little competition designed into road car specs.

This is actually completely realistic. Engineering is about tradeoffs. No car is running at 100% the limit of technology. They had goals set by the manufacturer, which included costs, reliability, and other things. If someone with a different goal gets a hold of the car, the specs can easily change. The Veyron is actually a good example. Sluggish for it's power and weighty, and the engine itself has been out-muscled by simpler designs.

If GT tuning is unrealistic, it's in the end result of tuning and the restrictions you have when it comes to putting parts in cars.

3) Real cars are balanced. Performance cars in particular. There's a fine balance between weight, acceleration, speed, suspension, handling, etc. When you start ramping up the car, that balance gets thrown out of whack. This is why you see people complaining about some of the best cars in the game being "undrivable". They buy a nice car, and the first thing they do is take it to the shop and slap every single upgrade they can on it, and it turns into an unwieldy beast. It spins too easy, it can't brake, it corners like a bus, etc. This goes back to point #1 above.
I also think this goes back to point 1. GT just doesn't let us change the cars enough, so sometimes you end up overwhelming the chassis. This is especially true of road cars with high potential for HP. The Viper ACR is an understeer monster in GT5 since you can't place any front downforce on it at all, and being a road car, it's hard coded to have low grip.

If we could really change the cars, there would obviously be no balance problem. Although everyone should note, the cars in stock form aren't particularly amazing. You can often make them better with tuning, even in GT's limited tuning scope.

...I prefer to enjoy the cars for what they are as opposed to what I can make them. When I start fiddling with them, they're no longer what they were. That's not a Ferrari 458 anymore, it just looks like one....turbo on it and make it way beyond what it could ever achieve in real life. The people that made these cars in the first place didn't do that because it would tear itself apart if you tried. Only a fool would think he could just slap a new exhaust on a Veyron and make it "better"....When you start ramping up the car, that balance gets thrown out of whack....Let the cars be the cars.

Ever hear of a thing called a race car? Or a company like Roush? Or even an in-house tuning company like Nismo?

I'm in this club. In GT5 whenever I was going to mod a car (which wasn't very often) I would buy a second specifically for that purpose. When you mod the cars they all start to feel the same, they lose their character.

I'm in this club. In GT5 whenever I was going to mod a car (which wasn't very often) I would buy a second specifically for that purpose. When you mod the cars they all start to feel the same, they lose their character.

Should join us on a Sunday afternoon pervert, NCR racing league (next comp not till feb due to testing) I need some more Kiwi's on board to help me sort out the aussies.

Pretty easy to grasp... I don't "tune up" my cars. I buy tires, and that's it. Bone stock otherwise. Here's why:

And I don't think I'm "missing out" on anything. If I want to go faster, there are plenty of cars I can just buy that will go faster. I'm not losing races because I'm not tuning. If I can't win something, I'll go find a car that can win, not "beef up" my current car.

Who else agrees with me? Let the cars be the cars.

I don't tune my cars either but I do not agree with your observations, well half not agree...

Point 1) I agree until the last sentence. It is still a 458, just not a standard one.
Points 2 and 3) Don't agree. Real life cars are built to a budget and market segment. Old nannas won't tolerate anything with a stiff suspension and young ricers consider 8 curtain airbags superfluous. There are also cars that are built and sold solely to compete in a particular segment and keep 'the brand in people minds'. They want to be able to say "A car for every driver", whether the cars are actual decent cars is kinda irrelevant to the marketing people.

Some cars are balanced and quite nicely built/engineered. But you can always shave a seconds of a lap with enough money. They are after all built to a budget and for a market.

I don't like to tune up my cars because I rather get the most of the car through being a better driver. But sometimes it is fun to tune up a sleeper...

Many people have taken their cars in the real world and modified using out of the box products, you can do similar in GT6 and upgrade non adjustable parts.

I agree with the OP for the most part. I often buy 2 of the same car, one to get two paint chips, but more importantly, to keep one stock or mildly tuned and another to max out. I find the lower PP cars more fun to drive anyways.

Back