The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
Wasn't the 2017 GT made the way it was because of the race car, not what the market was after?
Sure, but so was the GT40. In that respect, the 2017 being a race car first and foremost is precisely in line with GT40 heritage and precisely what people wanted.

Sure, but so was the GT40. In that respect, the 2017 being a race car first and foremost is precisely in line with GT40 heritage and precisely what people wanted.
I think you've missed my point a bit.

If the race car had been a hybrid, the road car would've been to regardless if the market actually wanted it to be or not. That's a major reason the car is a V6 despite a significant amount of people believing it should've been a V8.

Last edited:
Wonder what this means for the Super GT and Honda’s other racing programs.
Well, they're racing a front-engined NSX because Super GT's rules are ridiculous so I'm not sure it really matters. Combining with DTM is probably the dumbest thing Super GT ever did.

I really like the new front they've given it. Looks awesome in red with the black wheels. I'm really not surprised they're having no trouble in finding buyers for the limited production run, when it looks as good as it does.

Well, they're racing a front-engined NSX because Super GT's rules are ridiculous so I'm not sure it really matters. Combining with DTM is probably the dumbest thing Super GT ever did.
Honda did run the NSX and then briefly, the HSV-010. So, they could stretch the NSX for however long they want. However, that Integra is coming... hmm... ;)

MSZ

Scalpers. Honda/Acura had only sold 67 'regular' NSXs in the first six months of this year so far. Interest in them was clearly on the wane. Not that they ever sold well in the first place.

Scalpers. Honda/Acura had only sold 67 'regular' NSXs in the first six months of this year so far. Interest in them was clearly on the wane. Not that they ever sold well in the first place.
I mean at that rate you could call any classic car collector a scalper. They just buy things, hold onto them for a bit, then sell them at inflated prices. They tell me they're investing, but to me the difference between scalping and investing is what neighborhood you live in. We should definitely start calling them what they are which is scalpers. Anybody who feeds off of, or even better creates exclusivity for profit is a damn scalper. That's why a lot of manufacturers now are putting limits on resale.

Last edited:
Well that aged spectacularly.
Get back to me when we confirm that these aren't being dumped on the market to try and unload them for half of purchase price when the scalpers can't find any takers 6 months after the car is discontinued and the note starts coming due. People who were so disinterested in the NSX that it was repeatedly selling worse after only a couple years than the original NSX was when that was 15 years old weren't going to line up to buy these just because Acura did an ECU tune and flared the fenders and said this time for reals you need to get one before they are gone.

I'm sure some people tried to corner the market on the XJ220 as well.

Last edited:
Get back to me when we confirm that these aren't being dumped on the market to try and unload them for half of purchase price when the scalpers can't find any takers 6 months after the car is discontinued and the note starts coming due. People who were so disinterested in the NSX that it was repeatedly selling worse after only a couple years than the original NSX was when that was 15 years old weren't going to line up to buy these just because Acura did an ECU tune and flared the fenders and said this time for reals you need to get one before they are gone.

I'm sure some people tried to corner the market on the XJ220 as well.
To add to this, I have a feeling a solid chunk of the 300 are being ordered by dealerships to markup, or in some bizarre chance, attempt to replicate LFA by keeping them in inventory, unused & unregistered for a long time.

To add to this, I have a feeling a solid chunk of the 300 are being ordered by dealerships to markup, or in some bizarre chance, attempt to replicate LFA by keeping them in inventory, unused & unregistered for a long time.
According to one NSX owner forum, even the top NSX selling dealers in the US are only going to get two units. Most dealers will receive one car only.

MSZ
According to one NSX owner forum, even the top NSX selling dealers in the US are only going to get two units. Most dealers will receive one car only.
That's not really any different from the LFA. Dealers can still get one with every intention of sitting on it. Saw it within' the Lexus dealership chain for many years, LFAs sitting in inventory with stores that could've easily moved it and never did.

Getting only 1 in will not stop mark-ups either. While I don't think the Acura network is as ruthless as say, the Porsche network (who will get 2-3 RS & in a pool of 5-6 VIP clients will give the car to whoever agrees to a $50K ADM), I wouldn't put it past any dealership selling a 6-figure car to sell the car to whoever is willing to agree to an ADM (assuming Acura does not have a rule like Lexus forbidding this).

Last edited:
Acura's Brand Officer says the model will live on... somewhere in the future.
Speaking with MotorTrend, Acura Brand Officer Jon Ikeda was asked if there would be another NSX in the future, to which he replied: "[T]here will be a next one, at some point, I am sure … There will be another one." There will be a hiatus though, and the NSX's future replacement will likely be all-electric. But with so few markets appreciating a vehicle that cost an extraordinary amount of money to develop and then refine in Type S guise, what's the point? How does Acura benefit?

Ikeda explains that Acura "didn't go into it [the NSX] to make a lot of money". Acura knew how long it would keep the NSX around for and used it to focus its direction as a company, learning a lot about electrification that is fun to drive in the process.

Makes me wonder about the future of large manufacturers creating halo sportscars from here on.

Companies whose bread and butter has never really been sportscars/supercars, i guess i'm mainly talking Audi with it's R8 and Honda with the NSX, perhaps Nissan with the GT-R - but that evolved from a much more regular vehicle, the Skyline. Might not see much value in developing halo cars like those mentioned given that by 2035 a substantial amount of markets will be electric only. Fairly regular cars will by then have such performance on tap, both power plant wise and chassis wise (lower CofG) that something supercarish will potentially be redundant given the costs of development.

Audi may have a case to continue with an R8 successor as long as Lamborghini exists to platform share with, but for Honda any further NSXs have a less clear path to relevance.

Makes me wonder about the future of large manufacturers creating halo sportscars from here on.
Well pretty soon they only difference between sports car EVs and family sedan EVs is that one will be lower and harder to get in and out of. They'll both go the same speed and both handle really well. There will be no point at all.

I say use your money to buy whatever gas sports car you can get your hands on while you can. 90s Miatas are already over $10k in the US and they're going to skyrocket once everything is electric.

Last edited:
Welp, the NSX is officially dead. The final NSX Type S, #350 in Gotham Grey, rolled off the production line today.

1668634655350.png

Acura to race the NSX at Pike Peak with crazy active aero

1686866876609.png

1686866883005.png

Acura calls this NSX "Yamabiko" for short – the name of a mythological mountain spirit found in Japanese folklore. It was designed specifically for maximum aerodynamic performance at Pikes Peak and created by a skunkworks division of HART called "Crazy New." These are the same mad scientists that came up with the 800-horsepower Honda CR-V hybrid racer.

Custom carbon fiber bodywork adorns the front and rear of the NSX Type S, giving it its defined arrow-like shape. A dynamic rear wing acts as a drag reduction system to help increase speed on longer portions of the course and becomes an air brake to help slow the NSX under hard braking.

Two bigger turbos are bolted onto the 3.5-liter V6 engine while new lightweight HRE forged wheels come wrapped in Yokohama Advan A005 tires. All in all, this NSX Type S is 200 pounds lighter than stock. Honda engineer and experienced Pikes Peak racer, James Robinson, will be behind the wheel; he previously set a record in the Hybrid Fuel class at Pikes Peak in the standard NSX.

"We created the Acura NSX Type S Active Aero Study, aka ‘Yamabiko,’ to improve our own Pikes Peak record," says Robinson. "It’s by far the most extreme machine the Acura Race Team has ever raced to the clouds."

Back