The PS VITA Thread - New '2000' Model

• Thread starter Robin
  • 680 comments
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12643661

3G/Wifi OLED Vita for $159.99. That is the best price I've seen and a great deal, especially for those looking to get one for remote play.

Edit: I started playing Gravity Rush yesterday. I enjoyed it when I downloaded it but only made it through the first 6 missions or so and it got lost in the shuffle of other games. I like it even more now than before.

The gravity shift mechanic can be pretty cool when you have it under control. It can definitely get clunky and disorienting at times but most of the time it works well. Missions are usually fun even if a little repetitive. Side missions could use some variety but I enjoy some of the races. I hope it's like Assassin's Creed 1 to 2. The first was more great concept and not so great execution and the second perfected the concept. Hopefully Gravity Rush 2 will have more variety and expand on the concepts.

Either way I decided to pick up the 3 DLC packs. I want to support the game and developers, especially after receiving it free from PS+.

Last edited:
So the Uncharted Golden Abbys works with touch screen on Vita, but would this game work with PS Vita TV? If for example i want to import PSVita TV so i could play games like wipeout 2048 and Uncharted Golden Abbys using Dualshock.

Would it work especially with Uncharted ??

I don't know, both games use the rear touch panel and/or screen but it's not essential in either of them as far as I can tell.

If you Google 'ps vita tv supported games ' you should find a link to the Japanese Sony site that lists what you can play. It is in Japanes, so be warned! I would link it but my phone doesnt get on with gtp 12.

I don't see why the 'Touch' thing is such a big issue with making Vita games compatible with Vita TV. As if they can't simply direct the touch input to one of the analogue sticks. There shouldn't be a 'not compatible' list, it should play everything!

I'm worried going forward if lots of future Vita games will end up not being compatible with this, maybe Sony will make it mandatory for them to work.

I don't see why the 'Touch' thing is such a big issue with making Vita games compatible with Vita TV. As if they can't simply direct the touch input to one of the analogue sticks. There shouldn't be a 'not compatible' list, it should play everything!

I'm worried going forward if lots of future Vita games will end up not being compatible with this, maybe Sony will make it mandatory for them to work.

The biggest problem for me is that non-Japanese PSN accounts won't be able to log in to the Vita TV, which makes it entirely useless to me, I think. I don't know if the Japanese PSN's versions of Metal Gear: Portable Ops, PO+, GT PSP, Wipeout 2048 and Super Crate Box (if it's even on there) have English options, so, yeah, unless I find that you can play all of those in English I'll either wait until I can get a Vita TV which will let me use my account or just not bother.

The biggest problem for me is that non-Japanese PSN accounts won't be able to log in to the Vita TV, which makes it entirely useless to me, I think. I don't know if the Japanese PSN's versions of Metal Gear: Portable Ops, PO+, GT PSP, Wipeout 2048 and Super Crate Box (if it's even on there) have English options, so, yeah, unless I find that you can play all of those in English I'll either wait until I can get a Vita TV which will let me use my account or just not bother.

Hopefully this won't be a problem when its released globally, if it releases globally! I have a JPN PSN account but I don't know if you would then be able to play EU games after just logging in. I'm sure some UK magazine will import one and get all these answers.

I'm much more tempted by one of these over a Vita but I'm worried at the number of 'smart boxes' on the market... we are all going to have 50 hockey puck sized things attached to our HDMI ports!... I tell you, its like they are breeding :lol:

I tell you, its like they are breeding :lol:

Imagine seeing that happening in your living room, it would be like Batteries Not Included only with less flying.

I'm not sure what you mean about being able to play EU games after logging in, but I can tell you that I had to format my brother's Vita completely to get it to let me log in, so I couldn't play his copy of Vice City Stories afterwards. I can only play the stuff I can download or buy on a card, so as it stands we'd have to re-buy anything we want to play on our Japanese accounts. I've only got LSD and one of the Simple 1500 Series games (the helicopter one, it's great) on my account, not sure it's worth buying a Vita TV just to play those on a big screen, especially since I can do that anyway with my PS3... But Sony have said that they were surprised that there was a demand for the Vita TV outside of Japan, so maybe they'll release some EU/US firmware or even just remove the regional restriction altogether.

There's also the 'homebrew' 'audience', but that's not AUP-friendly talk.

Totally off the current topic, I'm somewhat confused by Playstation Plus on my Vita. Is there something I need to be doing for it to be automatically uploading game saves and updating games? I turned on the settings in the menu, however it doesn't seem to be doing it. Does the Vita auto turn on and upload/download like the PS3 does? Or do I need to leave it in Standby as opposed to turning it off?

Edit: Answered my own question I'm an idiot. Vita needs to be in standby, not off for this to work.

Last edited:
Hi guys just picked up a Vita-borderlands bundle yesterday. What games are must-buy for me? Any feedback appreciated. :cheers:

Here's one you would mostly be addicted on: ;)

uncharted-golden-abyss-box.jpg

get PSPlus if you haven't already
Well I'm trying to decide on when to get that. I don't have it but I do have that white PS4 bundle on pre-order which includes like a month free. What size of memory card is the best deal to pick up?

uncharted-golden-abyss-box.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely gonna try and pick that one up.
Edit: BTW if anyone wants to add me PSN name is lonewanderer85.:)

Last edited:

I'm gonna go out on a limb in saying this, but I haven't been enjoying GA as much as I have enjoyed the other Uncharted games. While the core game and story is alright (and I have found myself laughing at a few lines), the gimmicky parts of the game like the stone rubbing, the artefact cleaning, tilt balancing and the shine-through-to-read-the-paper really disinterested me. In the past few months I've only really been playing the Vita at uni, and I stopped playing GA for several weeks because of a gimmick. I had to the Vita camera at a source of light a few centimetres away from the Vita because it didn't register anything further away. However, I did get GA from PS+, so I can't really complain. :P

My current favourite games for the Vita are Need for Speed: Most Wanted, WRC4 and Killzone Mercenary. I'll definitely be playing Borderlands 2 a lot more when it gets patched sometime this week though. 👍

In other news, some of us are pissed at how support for the Vita's really gone down. The Vita was mentioned less than a TV show at E3, a lot of upcoming games are ports, indies or niche JRPGs. On top of that, FF Type-0, a game that a lot of Vita owners have wanted was mistakenly announced for the Vita when it was meant for the PlayStation 4 and Xbone.

My own opinion? Indie games, ports and Japanese games are fine (hell, I've a ton of indie games and ports), but none of them sell systems. Sony is in a bit of a catch-22 right now. Western blockbusters aren't being made because the Vita has low sales, and the Vita has low sales because western blockbusters aren't being made for it. Sony needs to develop some sort of blockbuster that will get the ball rolling, similar to what MK8 did for the Wii U and what Pokémon did for the 3DS.

I'm gonna go out on a limb in saying this, but I haven't been enjoying GA as much as I have enjoyed the other Uncharted games. While the core game and story is alright (and I have found myself laughing at a few lines), the gimmicky parts of the game like the stone rubbing, the artefact cleaning, tilt balancing and the shine-through-to-read-the-paper really disinterested me. In the past few months I've only really been playing the Vita at uni, and I stopped playing GA for several weeks because of a gimmick. I had to the Vita camera at a source of light a few centimetres away from the Vita because it didn't register anything further away. However, I did get GA from PS+, so I can't really complain.

Well that's what makes experience great on the PS VITA! Interaction with various puzzles by using the capacitive OLED screen is something that you can't do with previous Uncharted games, although it was challenging facing a boss with it on Golden Abyss© it was well implemented onto a portable device.

There's absolutely nothing wrong about it, not a gimmick, better gameplay! ;)

Hope NaughtyDog uses it for Uncharted 4 though, this time with the PS4's touchpad. 👍

The simple stuff like map assembling and stone rubbings aren't that bad, because they're like the puzzles in the PS3 Uncharteds, and they're at a point where the gameplay slows down. However, the forced gameplay mechanics, as well as the mechanics that made me go out of my way to perform them really threw me off. I really like how Bend allowed you to use both motion controls as well as traditional ones, but they do seem very gimmicky when I have to slash my screen several times, or when Drake suddenly stops on a log to regain his balance. It seemed like Bend were told to incorporate as much features as they could into the game.

I felt like Killzone Mercenary did it a lot better, the only motion control is fine-tuning while you're aiming down the sight, and the only time you have to use touch is a one-swipe slash for melee. In my opinion, overuse of the touch and motion sensor make it seem like an iOS game. :indiff:

The simple stuff like map assembling and stone rubbings aren't that bad, because they're like the puzzles in the PS3 Uncharteds, and they're at a point where the gameplay slows down. However, the forced gameplay mechanics, as well as the mechanics that made me go out of my way to perform them really threw me off. I really like how Bend allowed you to use both motion controls as well as traditional ones, but they do seem very gimmicky when I have to slash my screen several times, or when Drake suddenly stops on a log to regain his balance. It seemed like Bend were told to incorporate as much features as they could into the game.

I felt like Killzone Mercenary did it a lot better, the only motion control is fine-tuning while you're aiming down the sight, and the only time you have to use touch is a one-swipe slash for melee. In my opinion, overuse of the touch and motion sensor make it seem like an iOS game. :indiff:

It can be tedious at times, but overall it's the best way of doing it on a touch-screen device just to demonstrate it's uniqueness, it can be a breeze on passing a level anyway, IMO. ;)

Hey guys I have a teensy, yet troublesome problem. My PSVita tends to keep fooling me that my battery gets very low when I download games on the PS Store or when I play some certain games (e.g. WipEout 2048). How can I make this issue stop and how can I restore my battery's original longevity?

@Daniel, how's Borderlands 2? Have you played it on any other platform for comparison? After putting close to 700 hours into the PC version I'm wondering if I should go to the trouble of using an editor to convert my PC save to PS3, upload it to my PS3 and then upload that save to the Vita version so I can progress when I'm not home, then do the whole thing backwards when I want to carry on on PC... Seems a little convoluted, really, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm also a little worried that the fact that there are DLCs I have on PC that don't exist on PSV yet might break my save, but I guess that's what backups are for.

Hey guys I have a teensy, yet troublesome problem. My PSVita tends to keep fooling me that my battery gets very low when I download games on the PS Store or when I play some certain games (e.g. WipEout 2048). How can I make this issue stop and how can I restore my battery's original longevity?
Try discharge it completely and then charge it back up to 100%.

@neema_t In my opinion, don't get it unless it's on sale. There's a decrease in enemy count (although loot is adjusted to allow for the same as on console), the graphics are toned down, the controls are a bit wonky due to the Vita's smaller analogue sticks, and the co-op is reduced to two players instead of four. I have no problem with these, I'm surprised how good the game still looks awesome and Iron Giant did a great job porting such a huge game onto the Vita. The only big problem I have with the game is the frame rate in parts. It hardly ever touches 30fps, but it's usually bearable. Once in a while there's a big drop where it potentially reaches less than 10, but that's pretty rare.

If you're fine with the low (understatement) frame rate, then I'd suggest getting it. 👍

Hi guys, is WipEout 2048 worth buying a PSVita for? I am really desperate for a new WipEout fix and I've heard really mixed reception about it...has anybody played it extensively here?

Hi guys, is WipEout 2048 worth buying a PSVita for? I am really desperate for a new WipEout fix and I've heard really mixed reception about it...has anybody played it extensively here?

Technically it's good. But I struggled to play it as the controls didn't seem to be quite right. The shoulder buttons can't give you the finesse needed when compared to a controller.

Ah, I see. Will have to see just how cheap that I can pick one up for.
Technically it's good. But I struggled to play it as the controls didn't seem to be quite right. The shoulder buttons can't give you the finesse needed when compared to a controller.

If it's a WipEout game, it has to be good. If you're going to get it, you should get the base game, online pass and an HD and Fury Campaign Expansion Pack (it's free for those who purchased WipEout HD Fury somewhere after June 2012). The best you can get is the digital version.

Back