The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
I don´t think that thrustmaster makes good wheels? #1 is still Logitech...

We will see...

Yeah this is the next step, would be great...

Their F430-wheel is decent and on par with the DFGT. Thrustmastyers pedals are better, better FFB because it uses a belt instead of cogs. Also the flappy paddles are much better. But only 270deg rotation which is it's biggest draw back, and of course the F430 is missing a stick shift.

Hopefully Thrustmaster can take it to the next step.

Thrustmaster? That's really the name?

Thrustmaster -was- THE steeirng wheel device maker in the end of the 90's. But when Guillemot bought them, their quality got down... But since they released their F430 wheel I'm getting more confident with them... For the first time in 7 years or so, they brought out a decent wheel.

I still get a warm feeling when I see the Thrustmaster T2...
bc8r2x8o4gmivpcdk.jpg

Interesting that they'd go with Thrustmaster after working so closely with Logitech for so many years.

It might be important for a Ferrari deal? Since Thrustmaster got the Ferrari license, maybe PD can achieve more Ferrari's by partnering with Thrustmaster

unless they add a clutch pedal or FFB pedals, whats the point? it will be the same as the DFGT which wasnt a huge jump from the DFP, it just had dials that nobody used...

I don't get what everyone is talking about ffb pedals.
What kind of feeling do you get from a throttle pedal? Nothing.
What kind of feeling do you get in real life from a clutch pedal? Litterally nothing. You only feel you're moving cause of your butt and other organs that feel they're moving. You can feel 'the' point because of your movement feeling.
What kind of feeling do you get from the brake pedal? Nothing, except when ABS kicks in.

Whatever the official steering will be, i will get it and replace the DFGT very gladly,
on the following condition:

- Proper H gate (at least 6 speed + reverse)
- Use of Flaps for cars with +7gears
- Proper Clutch actuation
- Button Maps and reconfiguration

did i miss anything else?

Well it's because Logitech has a deal with PD and the GT series that's why they don't officially support G25/27, but both wheels are supported.

The G25 so set it just go to the DFGT settings and the buttons are as follows:
Read from left to right
ON the Wheel itself Paddle shifters are L1 and R1
Two red buttons are L2 and R2

One the Shifter Module

Four black buttons are the exact same as the PS3 Dualshock

The four Red Buttons (read left to right)
L3 Start Select R3

I had mine mapped out since Prologue and everything stays the same, well it's all set for you.

Kudos, let me know if anything is wrong as i did this off the top of my head.

I personally have always used the DFP for my settings. I dunno if you use yours on your PC but if you look under the HID's it is listed as a DFP in one of the driver entries for it so I have always used that when I have set up my G25 for GT:P and now GT5.
To me it is a closer relative to the DFP then the DFGT anyway(tho I never had a DFGT I made the jump from DFP to G25 many years ago before the DFGT came out)

This is going against the market. Logitech owns a large portion of the market... it is much profitable that pd work in a way to support G25/G27 instead of inventing some new wheel.

My point.

It already has been beaten by the Fanatec 911 GT3 RS Clubsport.👍

Yeah, the pedals beat the logitech's hands down. The steering wheel not so much in my opinion. I would love some way to hook up my clubsport pedals to my g25 and be able to use them in gt5. That's the setup i use for iracing/rfacter etc.

Thrustmaster? That's really the name?

Yup. They were one of the first serious sim controller companies. Their name probably came from their flight stick and throttle pedigree for flight combat sims. Think of a jet engine and the name makes more sense.

This is going against the market. Logitech owns a large portion of the market... it is much profitable that pd work in a way to support G25/G27 instead of inventing some new wheel.

Thrustmaster is capable of making a really good product, even if they have some silly gimmicky stuff out now. Check at their top of the line HOTAS Warthog. It's a jetfighter controller, but you get the idea.

I bet Thrustmaster is hungry to get some racing wheel market share back. And a hungry company is a motivated company. I'd love to see them make a wheel and pedal set as good as their Warthog.

PD isn't under exclusive liscense to on have wheels from Logitech. That thrustmaster wheel was in the options from day one of GT5 launching, I noticed it as it's the first thing I do when i turned on the game, head straight to the options and check to see if my wheel setup is correct.

What I don't get it why PD hasn't contracted Logitech to build a complete wheel with optional H gated shifter like the G25/27 models. I hate that slap stick crap they sell as licensed stuff, it's too close to the wheel and just blah to use. G25 was my first steering wheel and I was sore that GT4 didn't support gated shifting, well it did at first but stopped somehow and hasn't done it since.

Sidenote, i for the first time played a little GT5 with a control pad, and all i could say was not me ever again. Just feels so strange, the steering is incredibly fast and turn in to too sudden playing with zero aids is going to be a lesson in patience. Good note is I didn't see a hint of that steering help junk that permeates some games. I wonder if turning on that slip force thing is the steering helper?

Yeah, the pedals beat the logitech's hands down. The steering wheel not so much in my opinion. I would love some way to hook up my clubsport pedals to my g25 and be able to use them in gt5. That's the setup i use for iracing/rfacter etc.

I do like the Fanatec wheel better too, but I'd say the gap is pretty narrow. Both perform very well. The Fanatec is a bit more precise and is smoother. The Logitech is a bit quicker to throw around. The Fanatec is tunable, which I think is a huge feature. One area where I think the Logitech stomps on the Fanatec is in paddle shifter feel. I wish Fanatec had copied the G25 or G27.

Sidenote, i for the first time played a little GT5 with a control pad, and all i could say was not me ever again. Just feels so strange, the steering is incredibly fast and turn in to too sudden playing with zero aids is going to be a lesson in patience. Good note is I didn't see a hint of that steering help junk that permeates some games. I wonder if turning on that slip force thing is the steering helper?

I'm so attuned to a wheel now that if I play a game that aspires to be a driving sim, I just can't play with a control pad any more. It's like, "What the hell am I supposed to do with this?" I may as well drive with my TV remote. It just feels so alien now. The game has to be complete driving fantasy for it to feel at all natural with a controller. Something like Burnout.

Another quick tangent. Does anyone lament the lack of good wheel support in Burnout? It peaked with Burnout 2 for PS2, which had awesome feel for such an arcade style racer.

Sorry for the OT.

Another quick tangent. Does anyone lament the lack of good wheel support in Burnout? It peaked with Burnout 2 for PS2, which had awesome feel for such an arcade style racer.

Sorry for the OT.

I don't mind off-topicness. :dopey:
As for your question, I've no idea since I don't own a wheel yet. If you were to compare the two in an upgrade system, how would you describe it? In my case I'm going from GT4 + SIXAXIS to GT5 + DFGT; what will be the leap? For example you could say "it would be like the leap from feat to bicycle" :crazy:...

I agree I like G27 wheel better than GT3 and use CSP with G27 on the PC. Yet nixim brake mod for G25/G27 is the next best thing to a load cell. You should give it a try. I like G27 shifter better as well. Fanatec is suppose to be coming out a CS shifter in the near future.

I don't mind off-topicness. :dopey:
As for your question, I've no idea since I don't own a wheel yet. If you were to compare the two in an upgrade system, how would you describe it? In my case I'm going from GT4 + SIXAXIS to GT5 + DFGT; what will be the leap? For example you could say "it would be like the leap from feat to bicycle" :crazy:...

Actually, I'd say it's like going from a good sports car to a good sportbike for most people. You're comfortable driving a car and can control it pretty easily. You know the sportbike should be faster but it's a little intimidating and frustrating to learn.

Actually, I'd say it's like going from a good sports car to a good sportbike for most people. You're comfortable driving a car and can control it pretty easily. You know the sportbike should be faster but it's a little intimidating and frustrating to learn.
Really? :dunce: I prefer sport cars to sport bikes :guilty:...

Really? :dunce: I prefer sport cars to sport bikes :guilty:...

Don't worry too much. Just understand that controlling a car with a controller is very different from a wheel. There will be a learning curve. But I now find a wheel to be more precise and smooth, and now faster. It's certainly a lot more realistic.

Don't worry too much. Just understand that controlling a car with a controller is very different from a wheel. There will be a learning curve. But I now find a wheel to be more precise and smooth, and now faster. It's certainly a lot more realistic.

And its more fun right? As in you're more immersed right? :drool:

And its more fun right? As in you're more immersed right? :drool:

In my opinion and experience, it is much MUCH more fun. One of the reasons I switched from forza was I didn't want a wheel shipped from overseas for $350. The level of immersion is incredible, and it is really much more fun. You actually feel like you are driving.

In my opinion and experience, it is much MUCH more fun. One of the reasons I switched from forza was I didn't want a wheel shipped from overseas for $350. The level of immersion is incredible, and it is really much more fun. You actually feel like you are driving.
Okay cool. 👍

Everyone can carry on now with topic-related posts :sly:

unless they add a clutch pedal or FFB pedals, whats the point? it will be the same as the DFGT which wasnt a huge jump from the DFP, it just had dials that nobody used...

The fanatec clubsport prdals kind of have force feedback. The brake vibrates when ABS kicks in, or the brakes lock up. The game has to supprt it though and no PS3 or 360 games do. There is a setting on the wheel though, so that you can make adjustments to make the vibration kick in when you want it to, depending on how far you press in the brake pedal.

In all honesty, I just don't see how any other wheel can compete with the fanatec wheels on consoles.

Hmm, first I played GT5 with DS3 because I didn't have the space yet for a wheel because I moved to an other place. With the DS3 I made most of the licences gold except S8, S9 and S10.
Yesterday night I installed my G25 again and got up to speed (and faster) within 2 laps, and I completed S8, S9 and S10 the same hour.

Maybe it has to do with that I nplayed Forza with controller mostly (Yea I got a MS Wireless wheel, but it sucks heavily). Because of that I was used to a controller. And on pc with Simbin-games and LFS I play with a wheel.. So I might have both systems in my veins?

That too. It's a lot more fun for me. I spend a lot of time tweaking my racing games (when the settings are available) to get them to feel as close to driving a real sports car as possible. When I get it dialed in it takes it to another level.

In all honesty, I just don't see how any other wheel can compete with the fanatec wheels on consoles.

See the quote above about shipping an expensive product overseas. I've become a bit of a Fanatec (wait for it) fanatic, and wouldn't give my PWTS up, but buying a Logitech is a lot more straightforward, with faster support. Fanatec has improved their logistics and responsiveness, but they still have a hill to climb.

Maybe it has to do with that I nplayed Forza with controller mostly (Yea I got a MS Wireless wheel, but it sucks heavily). Because of that I was used to a controller. And on pc with Simbin-games and LFS I play with a wheel.. So I might have both systems in my veins?

You just may. Plus, Forza's controller feel is pretty good. That's how I played Forza 2. I've found that a wheel won't make every game better. The game's wheel support needs to be implemented thoughtfully.

See the quote above about shipping an expensive product overseas. I've become a bit of a Fanatec (wait for it) fanatic, and wouldn't give my PWTS up, but buying a Logitech is a lot more straightforward, with faster support. Fanatec has improved their logistics and responsiveness, but they still have a hill to climb.

Your right. They're support is as slow as it comes, and it does take awhile to receive. As far as the quality of the wheel, pedals, and plus they are always adding new features with firmware updates, it's hard to see why anyone goes with anything else, unless they just can't wait, or have never seen or used one.

They're really ahead of logitech as far as their products go, it's just they are a small company and don't have near the resources that the big boys do.

Your right. They're support is as slow as it comes, and it does take awhile to receive. As far as the quality of the wheel, pedals, and plus they are always adding new features with firmware updates, it's hard to see why anyone goes with anything else, unless they just can't wait, or have never seen or used one.

They're really ahead of logitech as far as their products go, it's just they are a small company and don't have near the resources that the big boys do.

I agree. I own both the Fanatec PWTS and G27. Fanatec just feels so much better. As good as the G27 is it still just feels like a toy. No offense to you G27 owners but you can "feel" the gears in it. I tell people it's easy to test a fanatec. Go outside, get in your car and drive. Feel the steering wheel? Well you feel the Fanatec ;)

Back