Theory on the Audi R8 LMS Ultra Handling

I don't use camber at all. Here's the one I use(cheers to TDZDave) but was built @ 611bhp(Stage 3 Engine) 1390KG(Silver Ultra)/532bhp 1290kg(Phoenix)

Ride Height: 60 - 90
Springs: 15.14 - 15.67
Comp 4/1
Ext 5/2
Roll 3/4
Camber 0
Toe 0.00 - 0.25
LSD: 10/20/10
BB: 4/5
Max aero for Silver Ultra, 800-900 aero on Phoenix

Ballast at the very front

I had made another one with small tweaks for particular tracks but I prefer the one above more

Ride Height: 60 - 90
Springs: 15.14 - 15.67
Comp 4/2
Ext 5/3
Roll 5/3

Using ride height bug :P and ballast I see. I always avoid ballast as it impacts the car overall performance, especially when there's a PP limit.

So which is the 'best' tune for a completely stock version? I'm getting mixed up with all of these but I prefer to keep racing cars stock.

So which is the 'best' tune for a completely stock version? I'm getting mixed up with all of these but I prefer to keep racing cars stock.

Try my recent tune that I tagged you with - it has level ride height, no ballast and medium aero, no power upgrades, just oil change :) There are 3 preset power level in the tune, I would suggest the 500HP and 552 HP, try the main suspension/LSD/aero tune first then compare with alternate LSD, aero and suspension, maybe you will like one of them.

Using ride height bug :P and ballast I see. I always avoid ballast as it impacts the car overall performance, especially when there's a PP limit.

Didn't know the ride hight bug was still there? Is it where the effect, when changing the difference in front- and rear ride height compared to each other, is reversed or how does it work?

Just to confuse you more, most tunes that reduce the snap oversteer will probably be too understeery after a pitstop :P

Didn't know the ride hight bug was still there? Is it where the effect, when changing the difference in front- and rear ride height compared to each other, is reversed or how does it work?

The ride height bug still exist since 1.0 :) Many tuners here in GTP uses it as a quick fix/shortcut to cure car tendencies to oversteer or understeer, then patch up the after effects with the rest of suspension, some uses camber together with ride height.

Higher front/lower rear increase rotation and induce oversteer, while lower front/higher rear reduce rotation and induce understeer :)

10 to 20 value differences in ride height do not greatly change the balance, usually extreme value differences are used - more than 30, some even went to lowest/highest. Sadly, most of the time, a well thought spring rate, damper and arb is more than enough :) A good LSD and camber also works nicely.

The thing is really good after a pit stop though.
At a 10 lap Bathurst race, I gained 45 seconds in the last 4 laps after a pit stop. Unfortunately, GT6 GT6'd on me, and didn't give me tyre change options, so it DQ'd me from the results.

The ride height bug still exist since 1.0 :) Many tuners here in GTP uses it as a quick fix/shortcut to cure car tendencies to oversteer or understeer, then patch up the after effects with the rest of suspension, some uses camber together with ride height.

Higher front/lower rear increase rotation and induce oversteer, while lower front/higher rear reduce rotation and induce understeer :)

Ok thanks, so basically the opposite of real life then..

I should really try out the R8 LMS Ultra soon, to see if it's really that bad, since I've mostly been tuning and racing the GT-R GT3 Nismo until now.

I should really try out the R8 LMS Ultra soon, to see if it's really that bad, since I've mostly been tuning and racing the GT-R GT3 Nismo until now.
I thought "oh, it can't be that bad", and I had ideas of what it would be like.

Honestly, nothing prepares you for quite how bad it is.

The thing is really good after a pit stop though.

It feels great after the pit stop, and I'm fairly certain that's it's intended handling too. Partly because it doesn't want to kill you, and partly because the time difference between Audis with the same tunes but different PP's (I think I compared the Oreca and Ultra, both stock but with the Orecas default suspension tune) made more sense after the pitstop based on their PP.

@Ridox2JZGTE

Not a bad tune. 👍

I've finally got this thing around the 'Ring without crashing it. You still have to be very careful on the slowest corners though.

Stock though, this thing is insane. If it handled that badly in the real world it would never win a race anywhere in the world and definitely never at the 'Ring. :banghead:

If you mean

New Update / Alternate version with better low speed stability ( Suspension + Aero )

Ride Height: 75 75
Spring Rate: 21.43 18.69
Dampers (Compression): 6 7
Dampers (Extension): 5 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 4
Camber Angle: 0.4 0.0
Toe Angle: -0.07 0.18

Alternate Aero :
FRONT : 280
REAR : 680

Then yes. Not the alternate LSD though.

Used this one.

LSD - 2 way high preload
Initial Torque : 28
Acceleration Sensitivity: 38
Braking Sensitivity: 38

Got my best Silverstone lap with a GT3 with this as well. :gtpflag:

@Fanapryde : Have you tried the new tune/replica with alternate suspension/aero/LSD ?
The tune can use higher power, the replica below uses power set at Blancpain 2014 spec :
Yes I did, thanks for that ;)

I tuned my (new) Phoenix exactly as you described, gave it some more power to match 650 PP (for the Nürburg 24' races during which I like to do my timekeeping).

What I found out was that the car feels more secure, more predictable. But it surprised me I could not match my fastest laptimes so far.
On the other hand the overall time in the 24' race was faster, because the car behaves A LOT better in wet conditions.

-------------------

My "old" (8.183 km = 5.085 miles) R8 Phoenix received an engine overhaul and with the tune below I set my best laptime:

733 BHP

Tires: Race hard

Ride height: 75 / 73
Spring rate: 15,81 / 19,24
Dampers (comp): 5 / 6
Dampers (ext): 5 / 6
Anti roll bars: 6 / 7
Camber: 2,3 / 1,5
Toe: -0,10 / 0,33

Transmission: stock, speed set to 330 km / 205 miles

LSD 33 / 34 / 30

Power limiter to 89,8
No motortuning
Turbo high

Aero 360 / 730

No ballast.

You're insane :lol:

Seriously, how does it handle that? It's bad enough with just under 500.
:D

In fact: pretty good !
You have to get used to it (after + 5000 miles I am...) but just be gently with the accelerator and steering inputs.
A little bit slower with the same BHP and Ridox' tune, the car is easier.

Yes I did, thanks for that ;)

I tuned my (new) Phoenix exactly as you described, gave it some more power to match 650 PP (for the Nürburg 24' races during which I like to do my timekeeping).

What I found out was that the car feels more secure, more predictable. But it surprised me I could not match my fastest laptimes so far.
On the other hand the overall time in the 24' race was faster, because the car behaves A LOT better in wet conditions.

-------------------

My "old" (8.183 km = 5.085 miles) R8 Phoenix received an engine overhaul and with the tune below I set my best laptime:

733 BHP

Tires: Race hard

Ride height: 75 / 73
Spring rate: 15,81 / 19,24
Dampers (comp): 5 / 6
Dampers (ext): 5 / 6
Anti roll bars: 6 / 7
Camber: 2,3 / 1,5
Toe: -0,10 / 0,33

Transmission: stock, speed set to 330 km / 205 miles

LSD 33 / 34 / 30

Power limiter to 89,8
No motortuning
Turbo high

Aero 360 / 730

No ballast.

One of the main goal of the tune is good overall performance for long distance races, so it has to be stable, good on tire, and easier to drive :D The car is not set for best lap time as it has lower front and rear aero, the balance is aimed at more acceleration and top speed, but slower around mid to high speed turns. You can of course, increase the front and rear aero for faster cornering speeds, it's a base tune after all :D

I have a full power R8 LMS with the tune, still can be driven hard :lol:

I also have made a new tune/replica for the Audi R8 LMS Ultra '12 plain version, it has different approach in LSD with fine tuned suspension and body rigidity installed, the tune should also works with the Phoenix, feel free to try it on the Phoenix car without body rigidity and with rigidity installed, see which one suits best. Enjoy :

AUDI R8 LMS Ultra '12 489HP to 552HP BLANCPAIN version
Tuned to replicate Audi R8 LMS Ultra Blancpain
Sports Soft to Racing Hard

CAR : Audi R8 LMS Ultra '12
Tire : Sports Soft to Racing Hard

Specs
Blancpain Max Power 412kW
Horsepower: 552 HP at 8000 RPM
Torque: 417.6 ft-lb at 6500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 99.6%
Weight: 1250 kg
Ballast : 0 kg
Ballast Position : 0
Weight Distribution : 45 / 55 as stock
Performance Points: 596

Blancpain power based on 2.5 Kg/Hp or 500HP

Horsepower: 500 HP at 6400 RPM
Torque: 417.0 ft-lb at 6300 RPM
Power Limiter at : 90.4%
Performance Points: 584

Blancpain power based on maximum restrictor 365kW
Horsepower: 489 HP at 6400 RPM
Torque: 416.4 ft-lb at 6100 RPM
Power Limiter at : 88.2%
Performance Points: 580

GT AUTO
OIL CHANGE
Improve Body Rigidity ( INSTALLED in this build )
Wheels : Stock
Car Paint : Stock

Tuning Parts Installed :
Racing Exhaust
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Racing Brakes Kit

AERO :
FRONT : 280
REAR : 650 ( Alternative setup is to use stock value or whatever values that suits the track or preferences )

LSD - 2 way high preload
Initial Torque : 52
Acceleration Sensitivity: 27
Braking Sensitivity: 27

Suspension - EIBACH ERS Coil Springs with Bilstein Damper
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 75 75
Spring Rate: 21.43 18.69
Dampers (Compression): 6 7
Dampers (Extension): 5 7
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 4
Camber Angle: 0.4 0.0
Toe Angle: -0.07 0.07 - increase rear toe in if want more stability in low speed, I recommend no more than 0.21 as it makes the rear harder to rotate.

Transmission - Sequential 6 Speed Adapted Homologated Ratio
Install all power parts
Set Default
Set Final to 5.000
Set Auto Max Speed at 240kmh / 149mph
Adjust each gear :
1st 2.997
2nd 2.235
3rd 1.765
4th 1.474
5th 1.238
6th 1.037
Set Final : 3.889

Brake Balance
5/4 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 5/4, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :
Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 5/4 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :

This is a replica of Audi R8 LMS Ultra Blancpain version, the power figures depend on the restrictor usage, so I have provided 3 different power levels.

The suspension has been further evolved from my older tune using the Phoenix team car, new rear damper and rear toe to work with the new LSD setup.
Overall the car is easier to drive, safer, and more consistent.

For LSD, I have used the same 2 way setup, but with different approach, using higher than usual initial torque to make sure the rear wheels are not causing sudden break away on low speed cornering ( especially during off throttle/coasting ), while gearing also adapted from 458 GT3 homologated ratios, and it worked so well with the R8 LMS.

I have tuned and tested the car at Tsukuba, Brands Hatch GP, Bathurst, Silverstone GP, Nurburgring 24H and Spa :D

With 528HP, it manages 1:24s at Brands Hatch GP, 2:04s at Bathurst and 2:00s at Silverstone GP, all on 1st lap :D

To replicate 2014 Audi R8 LMS, I would suggest to run at 500HP

Please leave feedback about the replica, I always consider this car as a work in progress

Increase front ARB to 6 and LSD initial to 55-60 if wanted more stable handling, but at a cost of more tightness :D

Last edited:
My R8 is now driveable and it feels very good, because I change the weight distribution 50-50

Ride Height: 75 70
Spring Rate: 20.17 23.70
Dampers (Compression): 8 4
Dampers (Extension): 4 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 6 5
Camber Angle: 0.0 0.0
Toe Angle: -0.03 0.02 -
Weight: 1381 Kg
Ballast Position : -50

Horsepower: 412Kw

Testet on Bathurst with Controller 2.03.465

SORRY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK...

I DON'T SEE WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS, I BOUGHT THE SILVER AUDI R8 LMS ULTRA '12, THE DETAILED INTERIOR VERSION. THE ONLY THING I DID TO IT WAS GET AN OIL CHANGE. ITS NOW AT 589PP / 528HP. I DIDN'T CHANGE OR ADD ANYTHING ELSE. I HAVE ALSO NEVER DRIVEN THIS CAR. THE ONLY REASON I NEVER BOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE I'VE READ SO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT. SO I DECIDED TO TRY IT OUT AND SEE WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT. I WENT ONLINE TO THE NURBURGRING TYPE V COURSE, BY MYSELF, WITH ABS 1 AS THE ONLY AID, AND THE TRACK EDGE SET TO REAL, WITH THE TIRES SET TO FAST WEAR. I DROVE UNTIL THE NORTH LOOP STARTS, AS I INSTANTLY NOTICED THAT THE BACK END CAN GET A LITTLE SQUIRRELY, AND I WENT BACK TO THE LOBBY. I TURNED ON HEAVY DAMAGE, AND STARTED A 1 LAP RACE BECAUSE I WANTED TO SAVE THE REPLAY. I RAN AS CLEAN AS YOU CAN GET, NEVER ONCE GOING OFF THE TRACK. I DROVE AS REALISTICALLY AS POSSIBLE...MY VERY FIRST TIME IN THE CAR, ON THE NURB TYPE V , MY 1 LAP RACE WAS A TIME OF 9:36.XXX , I MEAN ITS NOT THE BEST HANDLING CAR I'VE EVER DROVE, BUT ITS REALLY NOT AS BAD AS EVERYONE IS MAKING IT OUT TO BE...ALSO WANTED TO ADD THAT I USED A G27 WITH STIFFER PEDAL SPRINGS THAN FACTORY.

Tested both silver and phoenix one..
I ran nurburgring type V with the silver one stock except ride height to 88,88, clean lap 8:58.599 (not fast, but at least it's clean)

Then tried the phoenix one... HORRIBLE. I stopped trying after a few turns.. it just wants to rotate itself like a posessed car!

i posted earlier that i ran a 9:36.xxx on my very first lap in the silver car, stock...on the type v nurb, after doing about 10 laps ive got it under 9 minutes

Got the phoenix on rails. Dont know the entire setup off the top of my head but heres what I do remember...

Brake bias- 2/0
Toe Angle- .05 or .10/.25
Downforce- 270/650

Im sure the lsd is some awkward number. I run 25/15/30 but I tweaked it. So Ill have to redo the rest of this tune when I have access to the game. This tune is on Sport Softs with 510hp. Pretty sure itd work fine on full power.

Well, since the opening date of this topic, some updates took place.

I'm thinking they may have changed the physics of one of these cars, of the Oreca to be precise.

I remember trying the Oreca when I just got it and I found it absolutely undrivable, while the Phoenix was just a little bit better.

Today I tried the Oreca for the second time:
Nürburg type V, race hard, stock (arcade time trial, all aids off, ABS:1)

- lap 1: 8.44.493
- lap 2: 8.37.881
- lap 3: 8.32.093

So now it is absolutely a lot easier to drive, than it was before the updates !?

To compare I took the (tuned as I described in the topic) Phoenix out on the same track: race hard and Bhp to match that of the Oreca: 536 Bhp.

- lap 1: 8.25.483
- lap 2: 8.22.656
- lap 3: was some 3" faster till I left the road at Tiergarten... :lol:
So there is still room for improvement (as is also the case for the Oreca)

Raced both cars (both at 650 pp - max allowed) in the Nürburg 24' which gave following results for best lap (partly wet)

- Oreca: 8.39.654
- Phoenix: 8.17.798

Using Thrustmaster T500 and brake stiffener.

Last edited:
Back