Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,575 comments
Been absent for a while - life is busy. Just wanted to drop in and say what a massive pile of **** that McLaren is - completely killed any drop of enthusiasm I had left for this game. Switched and did 3 or 4 laps in the Xbow and solidly into gold (probably could go a second quicker if I put the laps in, but I'm just not feeling it)
Me too brother, been missing the game but just haven't really gotten any time to just play or do the new KTM trial at all. I'll be back 😎

Thanks for the advice. Gearing - From the guides and videos I've watched, most exit turn 2 in 4th, the final 'S' in 4th, Degner 1 in 4th, Degner 2 in 3rd, the hairpin in 3rd, Spoon in 4th, and the chicane in 3rd before quickly shifting into 4th. I do the same through those corners. The esses seem to be a mixed bag. Some guys stay in 3rd for the entirety of it, others go between 3rd and 4th, and then you've got the those who stick to 4th entirely. My car feels like it plows like a dump truck if I switch up to 4th through there. I may give it a go anyway.
I think it all depends on when you engage 4th gear. Being in a higher gear is naturally going to push you a bit wider so its about engaging right when you're about to apply to power.

I am guilty of coasting more than I should. Spoon is a big culprit. It's a corner I just have trouble getting right, and I go off a ton through Spoon 1 when I try to apply the gas too early. So I end up playing it too safe and lose time plodding around with no input of any kind.
I have lots of trouble with Spoon as well, it is the corner I lose the most time to the #1 ghost. I think its just one of those corners that's always gonna be awkward on controller due to the imprecise nature of the steering input. I think the best attitude for it is trying to apex late and get a fast run onto the straight to minimise time loss.
As for 130R, I've tried throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it, and that's the only way I can get through without dying. Normally I don't get quite THAT sideways! :lol:
I was having the same issue initially, I found that the dab of brakes was helping keep it stable and then just trying to reduce how much braking I was doing and for how long I was off the throttle and eventually finding the point of no return.

It actually took me a few re-watches to figure out where you were losing time because your lines were so good. You've got a good foundation for a fast lap time, just a matter of maximising that now!

Back at Road Atlanta after a two day break, and improved slightly yet again. I am so happy with my progress here. Technically I was further up the rankings at Grand Valley in the roadster, but this feels like the bigger achievement, and there is still a week left to go.

1713334324040.png

Somehow this combo really makes me want push my limits more than others did. I think it's primarily the realisation that my S2 split (this was another 1:03.5) would be worth even more if I could just pull off a perfect S3. I wish the session would start 200 meters earlier so I could practice the chicane at full speed more often.

I finally had a pickup at Suzuka, though it was very small. And I'm still so far off gold. I just can't with this one. I know I missed the apex of second Spoon horribly. I also had a Code Brown moment like others here through 130R. I'm not going to give in just yet, even if hope is slim that I'll be able to gain a full 4 tenths on the final day tomorrow. I'm stubborn and don't want to lose my gold streak which extends out well over a year. Oh, and the two 4-star prizes I opened today? A big pile of dog 💩: connecting rods for the Nova and a fully customizable computer for the RX-7. I would have taken 10,000cr over stupid parts I'll never use. :rolleyes:
View attachment 1347288

Feel free to tell me everything I'm doing wrong on my lap. I'll try to put your advice to use tomorrow, not that my fingers and thumb will cooperate with my brain in doing so.

That was pretty good lap honestly I am sure you will get gold today!

You and others have pointed out where you can improve so I will just emphasize one corner and that is exit from spoon to carry as much speed into 130R, work on that one, in my opinion if you drive like you did in replay and fix that exit and pass 130R without problems, you got gold. I am usually trying to have steering input rather on 0 than on 3 degrees from exit of spoon all the way to 130R so DRS is ON all the time, ( from helicopter view my racing line looks rather as a bolt than as a 3 degree curve if you get what I mean, just 0 steering input, then when I need to turn, I turn 10 degrees very fast and then try to keep steering angle at 0 again, which keeps DRS ON most of the time and give you speed you need) pass 130R properly and you will get gold. I also follow @Dan_Tes advice, that is down to 5th from turn in point until the apex and then up to 6th, while keeping full throttle. In my case it gives me most valid fast passes through 130R, but you know what works best there for you?

You got this champion!

100 more kms and I'm finally into gold on Suzuka. Just 0.04s or 0.03% safe, so aliens please don't improve :lol:

I was actually on for something like a very low 1:39. I had my PB ghost (1:39.56) offset by 0.2s and out of spoon I was a good 0.2-0.3 ahead, but lost loads of time through the final chicane due to a combination of trying to not bottle it completely and my hands shaking like crazy. Glad to be done with this and to keep up my gold streak.

For reference, I did the KTM TT right after and got a likely safe +2.5% gold within like 10 laps.

Last edited:
@Dolph Drago

Watching your lap versus mine and all I can think about is I somehow have your score and you have mine. It's a very smooth lap and you hit a lot of the apexes I'm missing. I need to get out of bed and watch your lap again with my glasses on to figure out which sector you're missing time. I suspect @Barareklam is correct, spoon exit to 130R could be where to find it.

Hopefully this will stay in the top 100.

View attachment 1347275

I'm sure @Gomario JSP will be pleased to see it in the morning 🤣 Then I will have beat his time when I wake up tomorrow 🤧
Boooyy am I pleased to see this 🤔🤣🤣
I can feel the smurck on your face from here....., great job mate

I tried my best this morning, but yeah...i blame the cats ...and yeeeting my own lungs out due to a weird virus doesn't help either......excuses..I know...🤣

I had a better flow during the stint on S1 with multiple 32.0's the start of S2 went rather well too ending in my first .475 before the chicane.... I thought I nailed the chicane but ended up in .666 ( which I ran twice btw 👹)
No idea how I lost that much at the chicane,
But I clearly lost my chicane Mojo 🤣🤣

IF the WR time at Suzuka stays this way tomorrow I'll hit the Xbow one more time.(maby more if we get a real 💩 next TT)
🤣

In theory I can get my Suzuka lap time down to a 1:38.8xx. Sector one gives me the most trouble. Very rarely do I see the 27.xxx on sector 1. I will give it one last go later this evening.

@Dolph Drago Like others have said, your lap is smooth. Amazing lap time on a controller with no assists except for ABS! Well done.
I'm not good at giving advice on a lap but I hope this tip can help you. I enter the Degner Curves (Turn 8) in 5th gear. Brake and downshift to 3rd gear and exit Degner (Turn 9) in 4th gear. This method has resulted in my best sector 2 splits.
Good luck. You got this!

18eeb18b04448-screenshotUrl.jpg

18eeb1ade6456-screenshotUrl.jpg

18eeb1ade6456-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
@Dolph Drago

After switching to the big screen, I can better analyze your lap.

Here is a comparison of our sector times.

My TimeYour TimeDifference
Sector 10:28.2420:28.2790:00.037
Sector 20:45.4680:45.8990:00.431
Sector 31:21.3071:21.9780:00.671
Sector 41:39.0841:39.8710:00.787

Interestingly, you lose the most time versus me in Sector 2. So lets start there, since this sector is much less of a gamble, if you improved this sector to match my time, you'd have Gold.

Sector 2 Start0:28.2420:28.2790:00.037
100 Board0:36.9720:37.0500:00.078
Degner 1 Apex0:38.8220:38.784-0:00.038
Degner 2 Apex0:41.9220:42.2170:00.295
Sector 2 Finish0:45.4680:45.8990:00.431

So upon reaching Denger 1, you're actually ahead of me. But between Degner 1 and the end of Sector 2 you lose a bunch of time there. Largely, I suspect from missing the apex of Degner 2.

Taking this and any improvement from the exit of Spoon and perhaps less brown at 130R, you'll easily be into Gold.

Well heck I’ve been stuck on a 1:39.617 since the first few days. I just need to find .3 but all of my sessions to date have been 3 to 4 tenths off of my best. I can regularly hit a sector 2 time of 45.6 so tonight I will be looking at the final 2 sectors to find the time I need.

One more shot at it tonight. Good luck everyone!

Another session at RA, with a nice improvement, despite very frustrating first laps. At least I am into silver now.

View attachment 1347492

40 laps in.
Nice! I had a feeling you'd break through.

My first handful of laps on this TT (a few nights ago) were a mess. It felt like half the spark plugs were removed. Then I tried TC0 and realized how much the TC was killing exit speeds (for me). Of course, that session was a mess too. Lap deleted, lap deleted, lap deleted, lap deleted, hey, 1:27.780, that's well into the Silver range! Then lap deleted, lap deleted... Oh well!
I could not hit a rhythm the other night. Each sector was "decent" at one point - just never on the same lap. I couldn't get back into even the 1:28's.

I gathered enough motivation to try last night. Once I got that first 1:28 - the car and track started clicking. Then came a few more low 1:28s, then another 1:27.8, then I finally pulled off a 1:27.346!
In other words, very similar to your session above!

@half_sourly is dead on about Road Atlanta, and specifically sector 1 - "it is frustrating, but rewarding when you get it right."
I would argue that's also relevant to the car - it can be frustrating when you push it too little or too much and it goes off course or spins. But when it starts clicking - you'll feel like you're on an F1 broadcast, "He's gone purple in sector one!!"

Been away for a week and otherwise pretty occupied the last couple of days, so unfortunately not much time for time trialing.

Thanks to @Pesselles for the hint with controller sensitivity I kept my Gold at Daytona, but that's sadly where my short gold streak ended.

Loved driving the GT-One, but it looks like Fuji is somewhat my Nemesis, just can't seem to get it right, especially the last section, so only ended up with Silver.

Did around 15 laps yesterday at the new Road Atlanta TT.
Got easily into silver, but still .8 seconds from gold. Not sure if I can do it. Since the One Make Race with the Radical in the Weekly Challenges I actually kind of like that track, but still can't get a solid consistent lap in.
Had a lap were I gained almost 4 tenths up on my PB in the first corner alone, then lost it all in left turn after the Esses :crazy:

Just tried if I could set some last minute times with the McLaren at Suzuka.
Could not even set a time. When I got it around the track somewhat ok, it flew off at 130R
Turn in is fine, but it just loses it's rear and spins out. Guess I'll skip that one, haha

But at least Road Atlanta looks like something I can work with
ttra.png

Wow, I've been away from GT7 for 10 days, and there have been 40 pages of posts on this thread since then!

At least I had my gold on the GT-One sewn up before I left, but I had only run one brief stint in the McLaren on Suzuka which had only resulted in bronze.

I guess I have a few hours left to get my act together, and, to answer @Evilmuffin 's question, get my time under 1:39.541.

Wish me luck!

I finally had a pickup at Suzuka, though it was very small. And I'm still so far off gold. I just can't with this one. I know I missed the apex of second Spoon horribly. I also had a Code Brown moment like others here through 130R. I'm not going to give in just yet, even if hope is slim that I'll be able to gain a full 4 tenths on the final day tomorrow. I'm stubborn and don't want to lose my gold streak which extends out well over a year. Oh, and the two 4-star prizes I opened today? A big pile of dog 💩: connecting rods for the Nova and a fully customizable computer for the RX-7. I would have taken 10,000cr over stupid parts I'll never use. :rolleyes:
View attachment 1347288

Feel free to tell me everything I'm doing wrong on my lap. I'll try to put your advice to use tomorrow, not that my fingers and thumb will cooperate with my brain in doing so.

That's a very tidy lap. But this car really needs to be on the edge to get those final tenths.

You can carry a bit more speed into the first of the esses. You can do that whole section in 4th.

Degner 1 can be improved if you bully the curb on entry , and try to meet the apex for 2 so you can plow the throttle earlier. At the hairpin you can try to pick up some speed in 2nd gear and almost immediately short shift to 3rd. I found that a wider entry helped the most here.

130r well it is just a bug in this game how a car with so much down force loses its rear there, but for me was a sequence of drs off Dab break and full throttle but ideally just lift to 75 and reapply the throttle. Usually the more subtle the turn in the better as opposed to a quick flick .

Casio triangle you can cut more of both curbs, especially tighter in the second .

But then again I'm no expert , just had pain tying to find where I would improve and those where the points where I found most time.

@Dolph Drago

After switching to the big screen, I can better analyze your lap.

Here is a comparison of our sector times.

Sector 10:28.2420:28.2790:00.037
Sector 20:45.4680:45.8990:00.431
Sector 31:21.3071:21.9780:00.671
Sector 41:39.0841:39.8710:00.787

Interestingly, you lose the most time versus me in Sector 2. So lets start there, since this sector is much less of a gamble, if you improved this sector to match my time, you'd have Gold.

Sector 2 Start0:28.2420:28.2790:00.037
100 Board0:36.9720:37.0500:00.078
Degner 1 Apex0:38.8220:38.784-0:00.038
Degner 2 Apex0:41.9220:42.2170:00.295
Sector 2 Finish0:45.4680:45.8990:00.431

So upon reaching Denger 1, you're actually ahead of me. But between Degner 1 and the end of Sector 2 you lose a bunch of time there. Largely, I suspect from missing the apex of Degner 2.

Taking this and any improvement from the exit of Spoon and perhaps less brown at 130R, you'll easily be into Gold.
Man , everyone out here eyeballing the points to improve and you go and do a table analysis. Mad respect 👏💪

Have to leave Suzuka at Bronze. Not been able to play TTs for a while and just hopped back in. Incredibly boring and frustrating with pad, why not just give us a cool McLaren like the MP4/4??

As for the X-Bow, this car is an absolute dream to drive but Road Atlanta is definitely a deceiving track, so many blind corners… Will have to practise further, a gold is def possible.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Today was my last attempt. Entering the esses in 3rd and exiting in 4th did help to pick up some time with the car being more stable. Well...usually. Three of my first eight laps, I got into the 28.1's in the first sector. But then I couldn't get under .2 the rest of session. Unfortunately, Degner 1 was my undoing this go around. I lost count of how many times I went off there. If I did survive, then I would find a way to blow Degner 2.

I did grab over a tenth of a second on my best lap, but it won't be enough to keep my gold streak going. :( I felt like I got through Spoon fairly well, or at least better than I usually do. And I flew through 130R at 207 mph without a hitch which was pretty nuts. I gave it another almost 50 miles before throwing in the towel. I wasn't about to find another 2 tenths without losing my sanity. :crazy:
IMG_3075.jpg

Interestingly enough, I was .015 slower in sector 3 than last night. My time must have been lost in the hairpin unless Spoon was slower than I thought. The rest of my splits were faster.
IMG_3074.jpg

And the real backbreaker. Apparently everyone here was abducted for this one, just like GV. I never imagined seeing myself down in 30th on my friends leaderboard. I must have been too fat for the tractor beam. :lol: Congrats on everybody's times! Boy, were you all fast!
IMG_3076.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back