Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 25,498 comments
Did 3 laps of the new one.

I think the times will be super close on this one, gonna be about chasing 1/100s and 1/1000s

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 5
New one is sooooooo beautiful 😍
And fun, and not so difficult at all...pretty .smooth...I think good medals this time...
Go get shiny medals 🥇 ninjas!!!!
View attachment 1353956View attachment 1353957
Oh, we're just dealing with the specific Sciccoco Gr. 4 car this time. I thought it would be a Group 3 or 4 challenge. Thank you God it is not another Vision one. Metalgear got the record again!?

My last weekly efford for Lago this morning, god this was frustrating!
Again somany killer splits....but non glued together 🤣🤣...

Did set a new PB tho 😁.....but missed the forlast corner completely...., drifting style 🙈🙈.....still placed 26 😁🥳

@BeRSeRKeR_TR I realy did my best mate, but the stars didn't align 🤣🤣...plus...my left throttle middelfinger is officially dead now ...hands hurt 🤣🤣🤣

1000020044.jpg

Did set a new PB tho 😁.....but missed the forlast corner completely...., drifting style 🙈🙈.....still placed 26 😁🥳

@BeRSeRKeR_TR I realy did my best mate, but the stars didn't align 🤣🤣...plus...my left throttle middelfinger is officially dead now ...hands hurt 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 1353974

You guys were right, the difficulty of this is much easier and manageable. After 7 laps I got 2'20.113. So I'm only 2 seconds away from silver here at Maggiore. It's the layout I dislike the most though.

zjn
do you have a complete station? i only have the steering wheel part, and i use an ikea chair. I will have to find a way to make it integral with the rest, even now with the standard G29 it tends to slide back.
I use a Playseat Challenge and have no issues with using the stiffest option available for the brake. I would not suggest you use the Truebrake on a set of pedals that are not hard mounted. It will be impossible to use. As your pedals tend to move on your current setup, with the Truebrake installed, it will move way way more. Its a total transformation of the brake pedal. It is nothing like the stock pedal. There is practically no movement on the pedal if I depress it using my hands.

zjn
Are you saying that the final solution might be modded pedals + DD logitech steering wheel, so as to minimize the cost of switching to DD? You can only do that if brand of pedals and steering wheel is the same, I guess.
DD wheels are not easily available for me to purchase. The cost is almost double taking into account shipping and customs duties.

I installed the Truebrake in the interim while I saved up for the DD. The Truebrake works so well for me, that I honestly don't see the need for the load cell pedals.

If I go the Logitech route, I will get the DD Wheel + G Racing Adapter and use my G29 pedals
Doing this will significantly reduce the cost of my upgrade and I know I will be happy with my pedals.

On console we are limited to using the same brand wheel, shifter and pedals, unless you use Drivehub, etc but for me I will not go this route as I do not want to rely on a 3rd party for compatibility as the hardware is expensive and if Sony changes something in their firmware, you have a very expensive paper weight!

zjn
What does "improvement" mean is a much more complicated question than it seems.... it is easy to use the word, but then one reads behind it what one wants.
Let's see... I would tell you that for me improvement means being more regular, limiting errors, lowering times.
I understand that none of these things are "equipment limited", in fact, they are all definitely limited by me. This forum is full of people who would put gold sleeping even using the Wii wheel, so obviously it is not the equipment alone that makes the difference, but if it helps then it is welcome.
To date the biggest limitations I see in the G29 are the feel for figuring out how much the grip changes (it is all very soft, although I have to say that I "feel" things now that I didn't a year ago with the same equipment) and the naturalness of the brake (on this I actually have no evidence, I can only say that the pedal travel is very wide, but I have to trust those who say that muscle memory of pressure is better than muscle memory of movement)

So, in short... it's my birthday in a few months, you're almost convincing me to put the pedal mod in the pot. I'm just a few pushes away
Upgrading the brakes is not going to make you instantly faster. It will however make your lap times consistent. And we all know that consistency is key to making one faster.

With the stock G29 pedals, you need to judge how much of travel is needed for 50% braking for example. With the Truebrake, there is no guessing games - your muscle memory takes care of this. Naturally over time, you will know exactly how much of pressure is required for 10%, 50%, 100% braking, just the way I know exactly how much of pressure is required by my fingertips as I type this on my laptop. I dont think of the force needed. I just do it..
Best way to explain it... if that makes any sense.

The results for TT76 Watkins Glen Long Course in the Škoda VGT are over here.

I've also updated the opening post with the index of TTs and the second post with the community leader boards.

Interim Results for TT77 at Autodrome Lago Maggiore - Full Course in the AFEELA Prototype 2024.

1715241352240.png
1715241372277.png

1715241468146.png
LB.png
Interim.png

Attachments

• TT77-static.xlsx
    42.8 KB · Views: 5
Wow, suddenly everything clicked for me in the Skoda at the Glen!
Did some quick laps and lowered my time with a few thousands, until when I had a lap where I didn’t screw anything up and got myself sub 1:36. Beat my record with over 0.7 seconds down to 1:35.932, so that is most likely a safe gold.
Really pleased with that lap, my optimal was just around 1 tenth lower!

Now on to make puns about the Afeela, and also maybe drive a few laps in it…
Wow! That is an awesome improvement! Congrats!

When Sweden have national holiday on Thursday and you are off from work and 9 in the morning new TT starts. 😁
.....P41 although more than a second behind metalgear ...
Find it great so far and I believe there will be proper fight between those who want top placements, you know... regular 👾 👽 👾 👽
1000021960.jpg

When Sweden have national holiday on Thursday and you are off from work and 9 in the morning new TT starts. 😁
.....P41 although more than a second behind metalgear ...
Find it great so far and I believe there will be proper fight between those who want top placements, you know... regular 👾 👽 👾 👽
View attachment 1354002
Great time and good morning, I didn't know Sweden had a holiday on Thursdays. Or is that just in general. For example Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, the 4th one in November. What do you normally have the CSA set to? Most of the time I'll have it set to Weak, I don't notice that much of a difference but the car I drive is more stable when I have it on that setting.

Oh wait, you use a wheel right? See I use a pad and my controllers. I own 2 of them, I always have to have a backup one in case the other one dies or the battery needs charging.

Last edited:

Wow we are so close mate. Great effort as I expected🤙

I use a Playseat Challenge
Right now I have this setup (whell, my chair is the redbull one, not the ferrari 😒 )
1715248912110.png
1715248924255.png

I have to find a reliable and hotpluggable way to have the two stick togheter.
I play in the living room using the family TV and my wife's patience, and the space available doesn't allow me to have the two pieces stick togheter permanently.

I fully trust your explanation of muscle memory. It's well done and make lot of sense. Thanks!

I use a Playseat Challenge and have no issues with using the stiffest option available for the brake. I would not suggest you use the Truebrake on a set of pedals that are not hard mounted. It will be impossible to use. As your pedals tend to move on your current setup, with the Truebrake installed, it will move way way more. Its a total transformation of the brake pedal. It is nothing like the stock pedal. There is practically no movement on the pedal if I depress it using my hands.

DD wheels are not easily available for me to purchase. The cost is almost double taking into account shipping and customs duties.

I installed the Truebrake in the interim while I saved up for the DD. The Truebrake works so well for me, that I honestly don't see the need for the load cell pedals.

If I go the Logitech route, I will get the DD Wheel + G Racing Adapter and use my G29 pedals
Doing this will significantly reduce the cost of my upgrade and I know I will be happy with my pedals.

On console we are limited to using the same brand wheel, shifter and pedals, unless you use Drivehub, etc but for me I will not go this route as I do not want to rely on a 3rd party for compatibility as the hardware is expensive and if Sony changes something in their firmware, you have a very expensive paper weight!

Upgrading the brakes is not going to make you instantly faster. It will however make your lap times consistent. And we all know that consistency is key to making one faster.

With the stock G29 pedals, you need to judge how much of travel is needed for 50% braking for example. With the Truebrake, there is no guessing games - your muscle memory takes care of this. Naturally over time, you will know exactly how much of pressure is required for 10%, 50%, 100% braking, just the way I know exactly how much of pressure is required by my fingertips as I type this on my laptop. I dont think of the force needed. I just do it..
Best way to explain it... if that makes any sense.
For what it's worth, I had my Fanatec CSL pedals with load cell on my playseat challenge and while it pushes the seat to the limit, it's a very serviceable option. It works. There is a new version built for DD wheels and load cell pedals with a slight redesign that's supposed to be a good improvement. Def not the best option, but it will work for those of you who may consider it.

zjn
Right now I have this setup (whell, my chair is the redbull one, not the ferrari 😒 )
View attachment 1354003View attachment 1354004
I have to find a reliable and hotpluggable way to have the two stick togheter.
I play in the living room using the family TV and my wife's patience, and the space available doesn't allow me to have the two pieces stick togheter permanently.

I fully trust your explanation of muscle memory. It's well done and make lot of sense. Thanks!
Glad to help :cheers:

This setup may work if you can add some weights to the back of the chair. The paddles wont be an issue as its mounted, but you will end up pushing the chair back and might tip it over if you don't have weights to counter the force.

In this setup, I would recommend using either the blue spring (15kg) or the Green spring (23kg). Red and yellow springs will be too much for it.

Did a few laps at Laguna with the controller this morning after my "morning Sardegna" (which both sounds like and nearly is a religious ritual at this point :lol: ) and got within a couple tenths of silver. Maybe possibly gold number 5 for me (assuming the line doesn't drop by half a second for the Afeela)? hmmmm...should get some wheel time in this evening.

Last edited:
Oops, I made a spelling error. My English teacher would be upset, because I was very good in her classroom. There were 24 of us students. I made mostly B's and a few C's. I need to pay closer attention next time. I didn't know Scirocco was a Mediterranean wind. We did not learn about that in History class.

@ZevZoq what brand of wheel are you using?

Last edited:
I didn't know Scirocco was a Mediterranean wind. We did not learn about that in History class.
I suspect it would be one covered by a geography class rather than history, as a geophysical phenomenon rather than something that happened in antiquity.

Maserati names many of its cars after similar winds: Bora, Grecale, Levante, Merak, Mistrale... In fact the Maserati Ghibli is named for the same wind as the Volkswagen Scirocco, just in its Arabic name (Qibliyy - wind from the Qibla) rather than the European name (which also derives from an Arabic term for "east", Saraqa).

Latest Posts

Back